View Poll Results: Where will we end up?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Win The NBA FINALS!

3 16.67%
  • Win the Eastern Conference Finals

2 11.11%
  • Make it to the Eastern Conference Finals

2 11.11%
  • Make it to the Eastern Semis

9 50.00%
  • Lose in the 1st round

2 11.11%
  • Swept in the first round

0 0%
  • Miss the playoffs 9-10 seed

0 0%
  • 11-12 seed

0 0%
  • Dude... what happened?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Season Predictions?

Default Next Season Predictions?

I think we'll be the 3 seed. Behind Miami and Chicago. Assuming we get a center and resign Billups. Maybe make it to the conference finals. If we have time to mesh, we can be deadly next season.

Much much too early to tell. Let the offseason come with a few changes taking place before we makes threads like this.. I will say this tho.. If we were to come back with this same exact roster with absolutely 0 change to personnel, coaching staff, etc.. We'd do no better than 4th the most.

If D'antoni doesn't get fired we wouldn't be higher then a 5th seed -__-
    I used to love that guy...

It all depends on what we do this offseason. We need to bring in a coach like Mark Jackson to run this team and get a solid big man. Im not so sure about Billups but I think 14.2 is too much for him.

Too early for predictions. If we don't sign C, SG, and PG we will be a mediocre team just like this year with couple of games above .500 which in a lousy eastern conference is good enough for 6th seed. If we make changes and hire a coach that has a knowledge of basketball we can win 50 games and MAYBE make it to the 2nd round. Still we are miles away from playing Celtics, Heat, Bulls-type of basketball.

There is a lot of work to do this offseason, but if we:
    - resign Walsh,
    - fire Pringles,
    - clean our salary cap,
    - draft a center,
    - sign a point guard,
    - sign a back up small forward,
    We can reach the 4th seed.

Veteran

Going into next year we have
    Melo
    Amare
    Fields
    Turiaf
    Douglas
    Balkman
    Fields...
    walker

Billups ? Lets assume we do not resign him but I think we should...

PG ?
    Fields ( have faith ) Douglas back up
    Melo ( Walker back up )
    Amare
    Center ? ( Turiaf back up )
    Balkman DNP....

According to The Post we have to exercise Billups' $14M option until Friday, so then we will probably know a bit more about our roster for the next season.

In my opinion only few players can be sure about their future with the Knicks, obviously we have Anthony, Stoudemire, Fields, Douglas and probably Walker, another players including Billups and Turiaf could be resigned and later traded for a valuable point guard (Paul or Williams), it's also quite certain we will keep Brown and Rautins, just because they play (actually sit on the bench) for less ($0.3-0.4M and $0.8M), probably we will consider resigning Shawne Williams ($0.9M) who declared to want so stay in NY.
    I'm almost sure Balkman, Carter and Mason will leave together with Jeffries.

I hope we don't use the option on Billups, for $14 million you can get a much better point guard than Billups!

Agreed, we can have a much better point guard for such a contract, but could you tell me how do you want to acquire him? We need Billups and some other players to be involved in an eventual trade we will make with the Hornets or any other team that can bring us a suitable guard we need. We will pick up Billups' option and send him somewhere else to acquire a guy like Chris Paul or Derron Williams.
    That's how it works.

Originally Posted by Dzwonsson
    Agreed, we can have a much better point guard for such a contract, but could you tell me how do you want to acquire him? We need Billups and some other players to be involved in an eventual trade we will make with the Hornets or any other team that can bring us a suitable guard we need. We will pick up Billups' option and send him somewhere else to acquire a guy like Chris Paul or Derron Williams.
    That's how it works.
    Yeah I understand that, but it's also a risky business. No trade is guaranteed and in the end we might have to live with his $14 mil. contract if things don't work out.

NBA Finals + Champs.

Right, but even if we didn't pick up his option no trade is guaranteed and it would be even tougher to convince the Hornets to accept our offer and trade Chris Paul for Billups who is supposed to be UFA after the next season in case we didn't exercise his option. And even if we didn't make a deal with New Orleans our future without Paul but with Billups looks much brighter than without Paul and without Billups either.

Superstar

Default Billups Buy-out

There appears to be some confusion about the time period within which Billups' buy-out must be exercised. Isola suggested that it must be exercised within 5 days after the Knicks season ended. Hahn indicated that that it was within 5 days after the NBA season ended, i.e., when the finals are completed. Hahn, I believe, is plainly right.

Billups' buy-out amount is $3.7M which will count against our cap -- at least under the current CBA.

It is my understanding, but I cannot quote the text of the current CBA, that the trading period commences again at the NBA season's end which will be a couple of weeks before the current CBA expires. If that is correct, if we trade Billups' within the five days, the acquiring team can send us $14.2M or so in player contracts, and then exercise the Billups buy-out and thereby save about $10.5M. For example, Kaman has a $12.2M expiring contract next year and Dalembert an expiring at just under $10M. I would prefer Deandre Jordan, but he is a free agent and I am sure that the cheapskate Sterling would prefer to keep Jordan.

We could end up with a serviceable big and still have an expiring contract.

If we exercise the buy-out without the trade, our cap related salaries will be somewhere north of $50M. Under the current cap that would give us about $8M in space, less what we might use to sign Shawne Williams.

If we do not exerxcise the buy-out our cap related salary requirements will be over $61M which is over the current cap by $3M and will surely put us over any new CBA cap.

Perhaps not if there is a hard cap, but as one of the richest franchises a hard cap will hurt us very much going forward, particularly in a couple of years when Melo and Amare' combined will earn over $47M.

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    I hope we don't use the option on Billups, for $14 million you can get a much better point guard than Billups!
    True but since it coast 3.7M to buy him out a 14M PG would actually coast us 17M. We get to keep Bullips for about 10.5. Well worth it....