Report: Knicks near two-year extension for Donnie Walsh

Red

TYPE-A
Cause you'd believe it lock, stock and barrell if it was there right??

Just kiddin..

Donnie coming back means MDA will be back next yr, possibly longer even.

MDA is Donnie's guy.

Not if we tell him Mike is out before he decides.

This way he has been told up front. "We want you to stay, but Mike has to go" whatdasay Donnie? You in or out?

nyk_nyk

All Star
Amare, Melo and Chauncey haven't exactly given MDA any real strong support thus far. I think Dolan will have to seriously consider what his 190 million investment (Melo/Amare) wants. They are the main attractions here and ticket sales are king at the owner level.

Not if we tell him Mike is out before he decides.

This way he has been told up front. "We want you to stay, but Mike has to go" whatdasay Donnie? You in or out?
I think MDA will stay with the lockout looming. Billups will get his team option picked up and Donnie will be resigned. Billups will be used to get cap space for Cp3, love it or hate it this is probably what is going to happen. Hopefully we can still pickup some key role players or trade for them.

Last edited:

New New York

Quiet Storm
Good ish...we need to resign Walsh.

On a side note, did anyone get the feeling listening to JVG that he might be open to coming back as coach? I think he believes in our core and what he said about Walsh and what he has done makes me feel JVG might be attainable. :crossfingers:

Bro I cant put into words what that would mean to me!!!!!

Red

TYPE-A
I think MDA will stay with the lockout looming. Billups will get his team option picked up and Donnie will be resigned. Billups will be used to get cap space for Cp3, love it or hate it this is probably what is going to happen. Hopefully we can still pickup some key role players or trade for them.

I just heard the same thing on the radio.

Those who don't learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Now once we make that mistake, and expectations go through the roof (and odds are they won't be met)

Explain to me EXACTLY who would be the Starting Shooting Guard and Center for our team that will produce different results than what we've had.

Please consider in your response the following:

Chauncey is a liability on Defense.

Stat & Melo Won't improve defensively under D'Antoni.

Recall this "new center" must:
1. Be cheap
2. Play ubber mad man defense (to make a difference)
3. Be better than Anthony Randolph, Darko, and any other DNP compiling non-impressive to D'Antoni player
4. Be a TRUE center
5. Be available

Then do the same with our must have shooting Guard, but add he must be a two way knock down shooter able to perform regardless of a lack of development by coach.

Then add a quality back ups...

GTFOH!

Without a coach who INCREASES a player / team defense, please tell me your basis for why we should expect any different?

With a coach who stresses "certain type of players", please tell me your basis for why these players will be affordable and available.

I would love to hear that. Please, I'm eagerly awaiting.

I would love to hear your plan to acquire these players, knowing your take on what a player can do and his value has almost never matched what D'Antoni thinks based on his approach. Please entertain me...

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Last edited:

Marek

Benchwarmer
I think the JVG fans here are forgetting about Dolan.
He will never bring JVG back after he left them high & dry in the middle of the season.

STAT1

Starter
This is the right move but the only bad thing is it probably means MDA is staying on as our head coach for another season at least. Still, you can't let Donnie go after the job he did in reconstructing this roster. Hopefully he is in evaluation mode with MDA for next year & isn't married to him if he doesn't see great results to start off the new season.

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
not so fast that article really didnt say anything about us being close to signing him

and this report from today is conflicting

Walsh Decision to Come Soon?

By Tommy Dee on Apr 25, 2011, 11:45 am
If yesterday was the last time we see Donnie Walsh as president of the Knicks at Madison Square Garden then we should all
donny-walsh.jpg
thank him for his part in what has been a pretty remarkable clean up project of his hometown franchise.
Multiple sources close to the situation have informed me that Walsh, at this point, is leaning towards leaving the Knicks and by passing the fourth year of his 4-year deal, but is taking the week to sort thing out.
Ken Berger is reporting that the Knicks are mulling a two-year extension for Walsh.
“The decision is definitely Donnie’s. It always has been. There is still a chance he returns,” a source with knowledge told TKB Sunday. “He wants to be there, but he’s tired of the distractions.”
By “distractions” I’m told, Walsh has grown tired of the constant hovering of the Isiah Thomas shadow that has been played out in the media. Many people are aware that Thomas and owner James Dolan still remain in contact, but it seems more than obvious that a) Dolan hopes Walsh returns and b) Thomas will not be rehired under any circumstances.
“If he (Thomas) wants to consult, Donnie can live with it. He has tremendous respect for Isiah. But this is his team. He’s done all the legwork turning the ship around.”
Still, it’s a convenient place to be from a media standpoint to portray Isiah and a meddler hanging above and superseding Walsh’s decisions.
“It’s one thing to be making phone calls to catch up and chat, and it’s another thing to be running the organization from Florida,” another source said about the Thomas/Dolan friendship. “Jim knows he can’t hire Isiah again in an executive capacity. Donnie has front office respect for is hand in completely re-building this franchise, but it’s up to him whether he wants to deal with everything anymore. It’s more than even he expected.”
There is still plenty of time as Dolan and Walsh have until the end of June to come to an agreement. But what’s soothing for Knicks fans is that Dolan most certainly wants Walsh to return. TKB was the first to report the two had begun discussions several weeks ago.
The Knicks season has just ended and the off-season starts now. The first order of business has to be who is guiding the ship. Fans are certain with the changes that need to be made over the next few months it makes sense that Walsh needs to be the one captaining the ship as they move deeper towards the playoffs and hopefully some playoff success.
Expect a decision to come much sooner before later. Perhaps by week’s end.

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2011/04/25/walsh-decision/

knicksin60

Starter
Donnie Walsh is going to pull a Joe Torre and quickly reject that 2 year offer once it is made to him.Do you really think that any smart general manager is going to want to have to deal with 2 more years of constantly hearing the name of James Dolan's girlfriend Isiah Thomas whispered in his ear?

Within the week we should have a answer concerning Walsh. The coaching decision might come after the post season....a deciding factor might lie in the way other teams are being coached thruout the playoffs.