There's No Defense For Mike D'Antoni.

Red

TYPE-A
Now that the broomsticks have been unleashed and it has been emphatically established that the New York Knicks, for all their bluster and bloviating, are nothing more than an average franchise with an exorbitant payroll, it's time to move forward. To put legitimate pieces in place to preserve assets and eliminate liabilities.

And after watching the Knicks' first-round loss to the Boston Celtics -- how they spent most of Easter weekend stinking up Madison Square Garden before a 36-year-old journeyman point guard nearly came to the rescue -- priority No. 1 is too obvious to ignore any longer:

Mike D'Antoni has to go.

It is not easy to call for the exodus of a coach who averaged 58 wins a season in his previous job, who is as kind and decent as they come. Nor does it seem fair to call for the head of a coach who, some would say, helped resurrect this franchise and made the Knicks relevant again. But when players are devoid of respect for a coach's basketball acumen, when the opposition laughs over the transparency of his game plan -- so much so that D'Antoni's players intimated they had instituted their own changes at halftime of a close-out game -- the need for a change simply cannot be denied.

'The Stephen A. Smith Show'

Catch Stephen A. on 1050 ESPN, weeknights from 7 to 9 ET. **More ?

The rare display of heart and guts the Knicks exhibited in the second half of Sunday's Game 4 didn't happen just because they started hitting shots and the Celtics suddenly forgot how to defend them. "We got tired of the way things were going," one player explained in the wee hours of Sunday night, long after everyone had departed from the Garden.

"We walked in at halftime and said 'We can't go out this way.' We were pretty ticked off, especially at us not seeming to have any answers scheme-wise. We knew Boston knew everything we were going to do, how we were going to do it, so we needed to do something differently. We just couldn't keep going the way we were going."

As coach of the Knicks, D'Antoni deserves credit for inserting Anthony Carter into the game, allowing him to defend Rajon Rondo. He also deserves credit for allowing the team to go zone on occasion, for switching on shooters Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, with Carter serving as the catalyst. But if D'Antoni deserves credit for allowing those things to take place, he also harbors culpability for going a full game-and-a-half without a true point guard on the floor, for making little to no adjustments, for leaving the players to essentially decide for themselves at halftime Sunday that swinging back wouldn't entail just jacking up 3s inside of 10 seconds.

Notwithstanding the tremendous effort displayed in Games 1 and 2, the New York Knicks cannot play defense, folks! Primarily because schematically it's never important, nor has it ever been a priority in D'Antoni's mind.

2011 NBA Playoffs: Celtics 4, Knicks 0

The Celtics crushed the Knicks in the first round. Get all the latest information here. Knicks Center

The same coach who's being paid $6 million per season here was out in Phoenix because he would not heed former Suns executive Steve Kerr's advice that he simply couldn't win a championship with his system. Fast-forward to three full seasons later and nothing has changed.

There are high pick-and-rolls. There's Amare Stoudemire coming from the corner, getting the ball near the elbow, with everyone and their grandmother knowing that's exactly what is going to occur. Or there's Stoudemire coming from the low block to set screens -- except everyone knows he's getting the ball and that he's not going to set a screen. And intertwined with it all is the arrival of Carmelo Anthony, assigned to doing pretty much the same thing.

"Coach knows offense," one player explained. "It would be nice to set plays, control pace and not jack up shots just because you're open. But that's what Coach does. You could live with it if we played defense. But obviously, we haven't done that much. Good, bad or otherwise, all I can say is that I've never seen anything like this."

Who has?

What team has a 6-foot-9, 230-pound player like Shawne Williams assigned to stand around and shoot 3s? What team has an athlete like Bill Walker, who's 6-6, 220, programmed to do the same? How can such a haphazard, frenetic brand of basketball -- you constantly hear D'Antoni screaming at players to shoot whenever open, no matter how much time is on the shot clock -- be permitted to continue when your $100 million franchise player just completed his ninth season? When Anthony, your other franchise player, just completed his eighth season? When both are signed for more than $80 million apiece over the next four seasons, yet based on the fatigue and injuries, neither looked as if he was physically conditioned to go another game in this series?

Just as important, what kind of players will you draft if this system remains in place? Knowing D'Antoni won't play guys who don't fit in?

Photos: Knicks playoff history

From Reed to Starks to Reggie: The
best and worst in Knicks playoff history.
Best moments
Worst moments
Top performers

The New York Knicks need a coach -- not a system. Coaches smirk at the luxury of preparing a game plan against it. Even folks like Charles Barkley have characterized D'Antoni's refusal to recognize the futility of his ways as "pure stubbornness."

This city will have plenty of time to debate the future of Donnie Walsh as the president of the franchise, and whether he should stay so he can hire former St. John's star and present ESPN/ABC analyst Mark Jackson -- or whether MSG chairman James Dolan should let Walsh go and offer the coaching job and all of the basketball operations to a man in the last year of his deal, who just finished beating up on the Knicks: Celtics coach Doc Rivers.

What's not open for debate is that it's time for D'Antoni to go.

Lest we want Amare and Melo to expire a helluva lot quicker than their contracts will.

Follow Stephen A. Smith on Twitter: @stephenasmith

I'll be here all year.

KBlack25

Starter
As a practical matter - couldn't this have gone in the other thread you made on this topic just yesterday?

As a matter pertaining to this article in particular - I think Stephen A. Smith is a grade-A unadulterated moron, regardless of topic.

Red

TYPE-A
Thank you Stephen.

I won't stop until I see him gone. Be as ignorant as you want. Be as permitting as you'd like. I could care less.

F*ck every excuse and reason you formulate...

You can never convince me different of what my eye's see, and my mind analyzes.

As Tom Cruise said in A few Good Men...

Don't try and tell me the law. If there's anything I know, I know the law.

And I know Basketball.

Red

TYPE-A
As a practical matter - couldn't this have gone in the other thread you made on this topic just yesterday?

As a matter pertaining to this article in particular - I think Stephen A. Smith is a grade-A unadulterated moron, regardless of topic.

No.

Its a must read.

KBlack25

Starter
No.

Its a must read.

Nothing Stephen A. Smith has ever written is a must read. He's a moron known for overreacting...I thought he was funny 8 years ago when he would make an ass of himself on television screaming about Allen Iverson. Now that I have grown up past my teens, I realize he's just a raving lunatic.

Red

TYPE-A

Stephen A. is better at writing than D'Antoni is at coaching.

KBlack25

Starter
Stephen A. is better at writing than D'Antoni is at coaching.

The way you feel about D'Antoni, that isn't saying much. He may be a good writer (like Kornheiser or Wilbon) but that doesn't mean (like Kornheiser and Wilbon) he has a unique, interesting, educated opinion. It just means he can use eccentric verbiage (see what I did there?) in a vain attempt to make a point. He never brings a unique or interesting viewpoint to the table...

Give me Woj, Whitlock or Simmons any day of the week. Shit, give me Scoop Jackson - who actually is a good writer with a unique and interesting viewpoint.

Just b/c Stephen A. Smith is loud does not mean his opinions are at all interesting, unique or deep. He's a shallow man with shallow opinions with a bevy of vocabulary in his arsenal. That's it.

Red

TYPE-A

The way you feel about D'Antoni, that isn't saying much. He may be a good writer (like Kornheiser or Wilbon) but that doesn't mean (like Kornheiser and Wilbon) he has a unique, interesting, educated opinion. It just means he can use eccentric verbiage (see what I did there?) in a vain attempt to make a point. He never brings a unique or interesting viewpoint to the table...

Give me Woj, Whitlock or Simmons any day of the week. Shit, give me Scoop Jackson - who actually is a good writer with a unique and interesting viewpoint.

Just b/c Stephen A. Smith is loud does not mean his opinions are at all interesting, unique or deep. He's a shallow man with shallow opinions with a bevy of vocabulary in his arsenal. That's it.

Is this about Stephen or Mike? Stay focused and get it together you older than a teen supporter.

KBlack25

Starter
Is this about Stephen or Mike? Stay focused and get it together you older than a teen supporter.

It's about posting this ridiculous article and people thinking that Stephen A. Smith, who has a job simply b/c he is a good public speaker, brings anything unique or interesting to the table. Nothing in that article, if you follow the team or watch the game is new or revelatory and it's obvious you posted it so uneducated, moronic fans who blindly follow the misguided and uninspired words of Stephen A. Smith simply because of who he is (as opposed to what he says) would have something else to talk about (which is why it belongs, for aesthetic purposes, in the other thread)....

Seriously, what in that article is new or revelatory or even the least bit interesting?

It's obvious from your immediate post after you posted this article to "brag" about "what you know"...that's the whole point of this thread. Great. Congrats. Stephen A. Smith agrees with you. Your post above mentions nothing about what Stephen A. Smith said, breaking down his "analysis" (if there is any to be had, and with Stephen A., usually there is none)...your post talked about you, and your opinion. Again. Like the thread you posted yesterday.

Red

TYPE-A
It's about posting this ridiculous article and people thinking that Stephen A. Smith, who has a job simply b/c he is a good public speaker, brings anything unique or interesting to the table. Nothing in that article, if you follow the team or watch the game is new or revelatory and it's obvious you posted it so uneducated, moronic fans who blindly follow the misguided and uninspired words of Stephen A. Smith simply because of who he is (as opposed to what he says) would have something else to talk about (which is why it belongs, for aesthetic purposes, in the other thread)....

Seriously, what in that article is new or revelatory or even the least bit interesting?

It's obvious from your immediate post after you posted this article to "brag" about "what you know"...that's the whole point of this thread. Great. Congrats. Stephen A. Smith agrees with you. Your post above mentions nothing about what Stephen A. Smith said, breaking down his "analysis" (if there is any to be had, and with Stephen A., usually there is none)...your post talked about you, and your opinion. Again. Like the thread you posted yesterday.

Damn, wtf di he f*ck your girl or something?

1. Stop hating
2. Realize you are part of that group you mentioned
3. Let me know when you're designated a moderator

Its relevency is in the fact that its a national article that differs from the d*ck sucking, excuse making, norm that's peddled beggin and pleading for your favorite war cry...

"Wait til' next year"

Red

TYPE-A

...and these are PLAYERS responses!!!!

The same as me and others have said!!!

Have you seen that before? No. Relevant.

KBlack25

Starter
Damn, wtf di he f*ck your girl or something?

1. Stop hating
2. Realize you are part of that group you mentioned
3. Let me know when you're designated a moderator

Its relevency is in the fact that its a national article that differs from the d*ck sucking, excuse making, norm that's peddled beggin and pleading for your favorite war cry...

"Wait til' next year"

Wow what is Stephen A. Smith your cousin or something?

1. Stop dick-sucking this no talent hack.
2. Realize you were rooting for this team to lose.
3. Let me know when, at the very least, you decide to break down the article

The lack of relevancy is in the fact that it's a national article with a non-interesting, non-original thesis that has already been spouted countless times on this board and in the media, bringing absolutely nothing new or worth reading to the table, and it does not differ at all from the several thousand threads and multitude of articles already spouted on this board.

KBlack25

Starter
...and these are PLAYERS responses!!!!

The same as me and others have said!!!

Have you seen that before? No. Relevant.

"Players" responses - which players? It's not clear who - it could be Andy Rautins for all we know.

I thought we learned over the Summer of 2010 to take "sources" with a grain of salt...not to mention none of the "player"s comments are that revelatory - it's pretty much anything you could have figured (and I believe has been consistently said on this board) from following the board over the last year.

Red

TYPE-A

The lack of relevancy is in the fact that it's a national article with a non-interesting, non-original thesis that has already been spouted countless times on this board and in the media, bringing absolutely nothing new or worth reading to the table, and it does not differ at all from the several thousand threads and multitude of articles already spouted on this board.

Word? You saw these players give their opinions after being bounced from the playoffs? Where?

And Word... you make sure to only read articles from authors who are up to your standards? For real?

Cause if not they have no relevance right?

Ok then show us ubber writing abilities. We'll wait for your master piece. Commenting aside.

Red

TYPE-A

Word? You saw these players give their opinions after being bounced from the playoffs? Where?

And Word... you make sure to only read articles from authors who are up to your standards? For real?

Ok then show us your ubber writing abilities. We'll wait for your masterpiece. Commenting aside.

KBlack25

Starter

Ok then show us ubber writing abilities. We'll wait for your master piece. Commenting aside.

No, I make sure not to read articles from people I think have no interesting, or smart opinions. These include Stephen A., Mike Wilbon, Tony Kornheiser...

And yes, I have seen players give their opinions:

Real, NAMED players..with REAL attributable quotes. Not "sources", not unnamed "players"...real actual commentary. Hahn posted several comments from a presser on Twitter this afternoon.

If you want ACTUAL player attribution - real quotes with real meaning behind them (i.e. not from unnamed players) hit this up: http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom...a=newsday_5min&feed:c=knicks&feed:i=1.2836602

Last edited:

smokes

Huge Member
No, I make sure not to read articles from people I think have no interesting, or smart opinions. These include Stephen A., Mike Wilbon, Tony Kornheiser...

And yes, I have seen players give their opinions:

Real, NAMED players..with REAL attributable quotes. Not "sources", not unnamed "players"...real actual commentary. Hahn posted several comments from a presser on Twitter this afternoon.

If you want ACTUAL player attribution - real quotes with real meaning behind them (i.e. not from unnamed players) hit this up: http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom...a=newsday_5min&feed:c=knicks&feed:i=1.2836602

Allow me to make this thread more than just a PM.

Nice article. Again the players are not exactly sticking up for MDA but meh who cares I'm sure they are not gonna make any rash remarks. I honestly think MDA will go or this will be his final year and if it is his final year I say replace him now (why not?).

Good to see AC suggesting he wants to come back to NY. Good to see Stat and Melo showing leadership not only in their game.

Now the interesting thing: Did you see we only have five days remaining to decide on whether to buy out Billups? I would have assumed that would happen later in the offseason. So yeah, I guess we'll have a good idea of the way our offseason is shaping up within the next week, which is promising.

KBlack25

Starter
Allow me to make this thread more than just a PM.

Nice article. Again the players are not exactly sticking up for MDA but meh who cares I'm sure they are not gonna make any rash remarks. I honestly think MDA will go or this will be his final year and if it is his final year I say replace him now (why not?).

Good to see AC suggesting he wants to come back to NY. Good to see Stat and Melo showing leadership not only in their game.

Now the interesting thing: Did you see we only have five days remaining to decide on whether to buy out Billups? I would have assumed that would happen later in the offseason. So yeah, I guess we'll have a good idea of the way our offseason is shaping up within the next week, which is promising.

To answer your question as to "Why not": I'm assuming MDA has a buyout or some sort of clause where he is guaranteed a large %age of his money if he is fired - If we let him go, that just means we have to hire and pay a SECOND head coach, likely slashing the budget we WOULD have next year for a head coach...if that makes sense.

smokes

Huge Member
To answer your question as to "Why not": I'm assuming MDA has a buyout or some sort of clause where he is guaranteed a large %age of his money if he is fired - If we let him go, that just means we have to hire and pay a SECOND head coach, likely slashing the budget we WOULD have next year for a head coach...if that makes sense.

That does make sense and I forgot that there is actually a salary cap on coaching staff I only learned that recently and continued to think we will just have infinite cablevision money to throw at whoever is available.

Still if we can get the head coach we want within our cap then we have even more "coach cap" in 2012 to fill up with worthwhile assistants!

I honestly have such little knowledge of that stuff that I can't say for sure but circumstances allowing I would prefer to get our new coach/players gelling together asap.

KBlack25

Starter
That does make sense and I forgot that there is actually a salary cap on coaching staff I only learned that recently and continued to think we will just have infinite cablevision money to throw at whoever is available.

Still if we can get the head coach we want within our cap then we have even more "coach cap" in 2012 to fill up with worthwhile assistants!

I honestly have such little knowledge of that stuff that I can't say for sure but circumstances allowing I would prefer to get our new coach/players gelling together asap.

I'm not sure if it's a cap - but there's probably a self imposed budget, you know what I mean? Like Dolan doesn't want to pay $12 million for one coach (6 to D'Antoni 6 to someone else)...to get a guy that we want (Adelman, Jax, Rivers) - we need to probably break the bank. Fact is, we are probably waiting - though it is possible Isiah has a replacement in mind...