Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: There's No Defense For Mike D'Antoni.

Originally Posted by LeFlume
    No reason to fire Mike D at this point. Unless you have a plan B named Phil Jackson.
    a million reasons to fire Mike D at this point

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Steven A is obnoxious but he is a good basketball analyst. He just makes strong opinions but he made predictions that came true and I agree with his assessment of Mike D.
    Disagree.

You might agree with his opinion. But he masks his elementary and pretty simplistic opinions with strong, aggressive language. He never brings any sort of interesting insight, his shtick is taking an opinion anyone could have, and citing in support of his opinion the reasons that anyone can see, but using aggressive verbiage to make himself sound more knowledgeable than he is.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Steven A is obnoxious but he is a good basketball analyst. He just makes strong opinions but he made predictions that came true and I agree with his assessment of Mike D.
    Yeah, he does have the inside track with the players and it was interesting to hear there is some dissension on the team. Wonder who that unnamed player was who said "he's never seen anything like this before".

I think you're right Paul, D'Antoni gets to coach another year but he will be on a short leash. He's a losing streak and a MSG chant of "fire D'Antoni" away from losing his job, his shortcomings are pretty obvious.

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Disagree.

You might agree with his opinion. But he masks his elementary and pretty simplistic opinions with strong, aggressive language. He never brings any sort of interesting insight, his shtick is taking an opinion anyone could have, and citing in support of his opinion the reasons that anyone can see, but using aggressive verbiage to make himself sound more knowledgeable than he is.
    I dont understand whats so difficult about having an opinion about basketball. Elementary? He doesnt bring anything to the table no one else hasnt? Basketball isnt a difficult game to understand, if you've watched it long enough. So what he says MOA didnt adjust after 3 1/2 games against the Celts. I saw it to. Most folks did. But unlike most reporters with agendas, SAS told you exactly what's going on with the head coach...

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    I dont understand whats so difficult about having an opinion about basketball. Elementary? He doesnt bring anything to the table no one else hasnt? Basketball isnt a difficult game to understand, if you've watched it long enough. So what he says MOA didnt adjust after 3 1/2 games against the Celts. I saw it to. Most folks did. But unlike most reporters with agendas, SAS told you exactly what's going on with the head coach...
    Stephen A. Smith has an agenda - and he didn't say anything different than what many have spouted on this board...so why should he be held in higher regard?

Default How did this turn in to a Stephen A Smith debate?

There are high pick-and-rolls. There's Amare Stoudemire coming from the corner, getting the ball near the elbow, with everyone and their grandmother knowing that's exactly what is going to occur. Or there's Stoudemire coming from the low block to set screens -- except everyone knows he's getting the ball and that he's not going to set a screen. And intertwined with it all is the arrival of Carmelo Anthony, assigned to doing pretty much the same thing.

"Coach knows offense," one player explained. "It would be nice to set plays, control pace and not jack up shots just because you're open. But that's what Coach does. You could live with it if we played defense. But obviously, we haven't done that much. Good, bad or otherwise, all I can say is that I've never seen anything like this."

Who has?

What team has a 6-foot-9, 230-pound player like Shawne Williams assigned to stand around and shoot 3s? What team has an athlete like Bill Walker, who's 6-6, 220, programmed to do the same? How can such a haphazard, frenetic brand of basketball -- you constantly hear D'Antoni screaming at players to shoot whenever open, no matter how much time is on the shot clock -- be permitted to continue when your $100 million franchise player just completed his ninth season? When Anthony, your other franchise player, just completed his eighth season? When both are signed for more than $80 million apiece over the next four seasons, yet based on the fatigue and injuries, neither looked as if he was physically conditioned to go another game in this series?

Just as important, what kind of players will you draft if this system remains in place? Knowing D'Antoni won't play guys who don't fit in?

The New York Knicks need a coach -- not a system. Coaches smirk at the luxury of preparing a game plan against it. Even folks like Charles Barkley have characterized D'Antoni's refusal to recognize the futility of his ways as "pure stubbornness."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

● Not only do I agree entirely with latter section of SAS's article (that I've added above), I've been saying basically the same thing .

And whether or not you do or don't like SAS, aren't we way off point?

This is about D'Antoni.

I'd love to know which player was quoted herein. My guess is either Derek Brown or Anthony Carter.

Just as important, what kind of players will you draft if this system remains in place? Knowing D'Antoni won't play guys who don't fit in?
    Bring back the Brewer and AR debate.

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    ● Not only do I agree entirely with latter section of SAS's article (that I've added above), I've been saying basically the same thing .

And whether or not you do or don't like SAS, aren't we way off point?

This is about D'Antoni.

I'd love to know which player was quoted herein. My guess is either Derek Brown or Anthony Carter.
    Reread that:

"Not only do I agree...I've been saying basically the same thing"

No ****...the things you say are the things you believe? I never knew that was the case, get the **** out! /sarcasm

The point is, this didn't bring anything new to the table, we all know why it was posted when the exact same topic was posted literally 24 hours ago...The discussion about D'Antoni is the same that's in millions of other threads on this board, nothing new or interesting in here - as is par for the course with SAS. Which is why this could have been discussed rather than open up a new thread to rehash the same thing for the 10 thousandth time.

Stephen A. Smith has an agenda - and he didn't say anything different than what many have spouted on this board...so why should he be held in higher regard?
    True he does have an agenda. It just doesnt coincide with all the other writers that want only access. The man told the truth. Cant fault a man for being honest.

True he does have an agenda. It just doesnt coincide with all the other writers that want only access. The man told the truth. Cant fault a man for being honest.
    HEre's what I find interesting:

He agrees with you so he told the truth.

Yet in the other thread you criticize a writer's POV for not furthering your own diatribe and not having a broad enough perspective (not telling the truth).

Isn't that what this all boils down to? Why this pointless, horribly written, non-journalistic, uninsightful piece of trash is being posted and raved about? Because you already agree with his opinion? And if you already agreed with his opinion, why is this a good article? Good articles should have a thesis, be thought provoking, etc. This is a bastardized version of an "opinion piece".

HEre's what I find interesting:

He agrees with you so he told the truth.

Yet in the other thread you criticize a writer's POV for not furthering your own diatribe and not having a broad enough perspective (not telling the truth).
    I think you got me confused with someone else...

I think you got me confused with someone else...
    Do I?

What I dont understand is if this guys view is so broad, why cant he see the faults MOA brings to the table. I think thats a fair point...
    Or don't I?

Do I?

Or don't I?
    Oh. I thought you meant writer as in sports writer. Not writer as in POSTER. The only reason I responded that way is because he questioned everyone's point of view that wants MOA fired. I'm not saying his point of view is wrong. Just saying he accusing others of exactly what he's doing...

Oh. I thought you meant writer as in sports writer. Not writer as in POSTER. The only reason I responded that way is because he questioned everyone's point of view that wants MOA fired. I'm not saying his point of view is wrong. Just saying he accusing others of exactly what he's doing...
    The point is, according to the way you speak to people:

Someone has a point of view different from yours so they must not have a rational or logical thought process behind it.

In sports especially, reasonable minds can differ. But people who look at the same set of facts differently from you (and others) are consistently attacked by you (and others) for being stupid or "dick-sucking".

I never once defended MDA in this thread, but just because the trashy Stephen A. Smith hates him doesn't mean jack ****. Stephen A. Smith also called the Zach Randolph move a "great trade" for NY...

Be real, that's all I'm saying. The reason this is posted, and the reason this is being raved about and praised is because Stephen A. agrees with your previously held notions, not because he presents a good, unique and persuasive argument.

Reread that:

"Not only do I agree...I've been saying basically the same thing"

No ****...the things you say are the things you believe? I never knew that was the case, get the **** out! /sarcasm

The point is, this didn't bring anything new to the table, we all know why it was posted when the exact same topic was posted literally 24 hours ago...The discussion about D'Antoni is the same that's in millions of other threads on this board, nothing new or interesting in here - as is par for the course with SAS. Which is why this could have been discussed rather than open up a new thread to rehash the same thing for the 10 thousandth time.
    So why post 10+ times in a thread that bores you and you've already seen?

And in regard to my agreeing and saying the same thing, I meant I had been saying them prior to reading SAS's article. Should have been more expressive of that.

And have you mentioned D'Antoni once in this thread?

The point is, according to the way you speak to people:

Someone has a point of view different from yours so they must not have a rational or logical thought process behind it.

In sports especially, reasonable minds can differ. But people who look at the same set of facts differently from you (and others) are consistently attacked by you (and others) for being stupid or "dick-sucking".

I never once defended MDA in this thread, but just because the trashy Stephen A. Smith hates him doesn't mean jack ****. Stephen A. Smith also called the Zach Randolph move a "great trade" for NY...

Be real, that's all I'm saying. The reason this is posted, and the reason this is being raved about and praised is because Stephen A. agrees with your previously held notions, not because he presents a good, unique and persuasive argument.
    Personally, I've toned it down since those heated arguments we had back in Dec & Jan. But, how can someone honestly look at what SAS said and look at the Knicks four playoff games and come up with something totally different? Boston had our number in game one and it appeared to me that MOA didnt adjust. It seems to have appeared that way to SAS.

Thinking about it his perspective is unique. You dont see a lot of sports writers gunning for MOA's job right now. Most are on the fence. Most wait until blood is in the water before writing such pieces.

Look at the LA vs NO series. N O came out and spanked LA in game one. Game two LA put a bunch of different defenders on CP3, but mainly let Kobe & Artest guard him. They made adjustments and they won. NO has now made adjustments to what LA has done. They won.

See the difference is these teams are being COACHED. I never had that feeling watching the Knicks play that series against Boston...