Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Have Seen The Light: Fire D'antoni!

ok, first off this is not about personell. This is about coaching. D'antoni failed to make any adjustments in the entire series. He had a cast of melo amr'e + some guys that can shoot the 3 and even a couple of decent defenders. A relatively decent Dant team. He failed to utilize the squad he had and could not even squeak out a win when the celtics were napping.

He refused to get fields off of ray allen when allen was torching us from everywhere. he could not see that the only guy on the team that could contain rondo a little was AC and didn't use him until it was wayyyy too late. He didn't draw up any plays that utlized an Amar'e/Melo PnR or even give any different looks on offense. anyone that watched any film on this team this year could of put an adequate defense on our guys.

sure he used a zone defense for about 4 minutes in a few games. That was his major adjustment. and it worked! But he wouldn't stick with it and he didn't have any other answers on defense. so we failed to make key stops and win any games. Not because of personel, we had a good team that fought hard and was quite capable of winning 1 or 2 games.

regardless of what you salary cap nerds think, this team is going to change again drastically and next season we should be looking at a rock solid squad with amar'e and melo as anchors. While i think they would both enjoy playing for D'antoni, his short commings as a coach will never lead to an nba championship. Also who would you even want to keep on this squad outside of Melo and Amar'e? billups is too expensive at his age. TD is not a good PG for us (as evidenced). Bill walker made more mistakes and turnovers and defensive lapses then anyone. fields was exposed as a 2nd round rookie pick, turiaf is good but can't play because of his bum ticker, mason is a bum.

AC, JJ, the good Williams, Melo, and Amar'e thats all i would keep from a personel stand point and infact everyone not named melo and amar'e can fly a kite.

Superstar

Originally Posted by p0nder
    ok, first off this is not about personell. This is about coaching. D'antoni failed to make any adjustments in the entire series. He had a cast of melo amr'e + some guys that can shoot the 3 and even a couple of decent defenders. A relatively decent Dant team. He failed to utilize the squad he had and could not even squeak out a win when the celtics were napping.

He refused to get fields off of ray allen when allen was torching us from everywhere. he could not see that the only guy on the team that could contain rondo a little was AC and didn't use him until it was wayyyy too late. He didn't draw up any plays that utlized an Amar'e/Melo PnR or even give any different looks on offense. anyone that watched any film on this team this year could of put an adequate defense on our guys.

sure he used a zone defense for about 4 minutes in a few games. That was his major adjustment. and it worked! But he wouldn't stick with it and he didn't have any other answers on defense. so we failed to make key stops and win any games. Not because of personel, we had a good team that fought hard and was quite capable of winning 1 or 2 games.

regardless of what you salary cap nerds think, this team is going to change again drastically and next season we should be looking at a rock solid squad with amar'e and melo as anchors. While i think they would both enjoy playing for D'antoni, his short commings as a coach will never lead to an nba championship. Also who would you even want to keep on this squad outside of Melo and Amar'e? billups is too expensive at his age. TD is not a good PG for us (as evidenced). Bill walker made more mistakes and turnovers and defensive lapses then anyone. fields was exposed as a 2nd round rookie pick, turiaf is good but can't play because of his bum ticker, mason is a bum.

AC, JJ, the good Williams, Melo, and Amar'e thats all i would keep from a personel stand point and infact everyone not named melo and amar'e can fly a kite.
    Just pointing out one more time that the poster of this thread was actually referring to the playoffs. Red may be consistently bashing the coach but my initial poster was a response to the thread maker's points.

I think the forum history clearly demonstrates that the posters who blame the coach for all that goes wrong in New York appear after a loss or even a losing streak, and hide during the team's winning streak. If we are to look at the playoffs, I think the team performed brilliantly in 2 out of 4 games. If we are to look at the regular season, we'll see that the team achieved a winning record for the first time in a decaade, notwithstanding a very destabilising trade. I think that clearly demonstrates a team on the ascendency. Now if you still aren't happy and feel that the team could perform better under another coach then that's absolutely fine. I can guarantee that you will all be singing along to the tune of 'sack the coach' next year, regardless of who's coaching.

D'Antoni hardly, if ever, takes the blame for himself. He said he'd like to see what Rondo (who IS so overrated) could do on the Timberwolves, yet did nothing to stop him, and only played Anthony Carter enough in the second half of game 4. Rondo couldn't do anything against Carter.

He's an egomaniac. Maybe even Marbury wasn't in the wrong in 2008. This guy is something else. Benching Robinson for 14 days as if our team was stacked.

Veteran

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    D'Antoni hardly, if ever, takes the blame for himself. He said he'd like to see what Rondo (who IS so overrated) could do on the Timberwolves, yet did nothing to stop him, and only played Anthony Carter enough in the second half of game 4. Rondo couldn't do anything against Carter.

He's an egomaniac. Maybe even Marbury wasn't in the wrong in 2008. This guy is something else. Benching Robinson for 14 days as if our team was stacked.

Amazing with Boston's weak bench how Robinson was let go.....makes me wonder. Not to mention that gets no minutes on OKC.

I HOPE people start realizing that all the players Dantonio put in the doghouse never saw time with other teams .
    Marbury.......Off to China
    Nate......12 minutes with boston.
    Hill......( bad pick ) his minutes in houston were less then 8 at the end.
    Brewer.....ZERO in dallas.

to me Randolph was a mistake.

Originally Posted by skisloper
    Amazing with Boston's weak bench how Robinson was let go.....makes me wonder. Not to mention that gets no minutes on OKC.

I HOPE people start realizing that all the players Dantonio put in the doghouse never saw time with other teams .
    Marbury.......Off to China
    Nate......12 minutes with boston.
    Hill......( bad pick ) his minutes in houston were less then 8 at the end.
    Brewer.....ZERO in dallas.

to me Randolph was a mistake.
    Boston traded Robinson because of them not being able to play Perkins big money next season. He started when Rondo was injured. Doc liked him. Robinson was injured a few weeks on the Thunder, and also the guard position isn't what they need really.

D'Antoni didn't play Robinson when CHRIS DUHON was starting. Give me a break.

I'm not gonna argue Marbury because we know his past, but I wouldn't put it past that being D'Antoni's fault.

Superstar

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Originally Posted by Blumatic

Melo really needs to work on his defense.

KnicksonLIN.com

Antoni sucks.

This is coming from the biggest supporter D'antoni had on these boards (aside from KFFQ). I watched this post-season collapse happen before my very eyes. It's time for D'antoni to go.

I was patient. During the season as we played and traded our way to mediocrity, I said "let's wait to see what we can do in the playoffs". I was impressed as we made our way to the 6th seed with a roller-coaster team and was excited for the playoffs..

I said to myself going in to Boston, "At least in the last moments of a close game I can count on this era's best offensive coach and the most clutch player in the last 8 seasons to get us 1 win"

I waited patiently and saw game 1 stolen from us by a mix of the Ref's and some lousy play calling on part of D'antoni. I figured, "everyone get's one, move on, good game, lets get 'em next time"

Oh no. I should have realized this would not go well. Game 2 was disastrous. Melo took over the entire game dropped 42 points, grabbed 17 rebounds and STILL we could not close out the Celtics. We have the best offensive player in the game today and we can't win this 1 game??? JJ under the basket for the final play???? WHY?

Game 3 I watched in horror as the celtics went up 22-5 before ANYTHING happened. AC got put into the game for a few minutes while boston's bench was on the floor and we battled back, but when rondo came back on, he was out of the game and we never got close again. JVG was calling that game and EVERYTHING that I said in my head he was calling out nearly 2 seconds after I thought it. He was watching the game realizing that AC and Shawne Williams were playing above their heads, had helped the knicks rally and were not getting back on the floor. All because D'antoni wouldn't use them against the Celtics starters. His stubbornness and refusal to adapt and make an adjustment lost us this game before it even started.

Game 4 was a terrible 1st half. I watched at my grandma's house on Easter sunday as my family, full of boston fan's, smirked and got out the brooms. Finally in the second half the players decided to turn it up themselves but it was too little too late. AC should have started every game while Billups was out and had TD come off the bench as he is designed to do. The coach could not solve anything that boston threw at the knicks, which was nothing new. He left Fields on Ray allen all series even tho allen was TORCHING the kid and ruining his confidence. I don't think we will ever see the same Fields again.

This series was going to be a Knicks out regardless of the coach, but there were at least 2 games we could have won with better play calling and a more concentrated Defensive effort. If everyone was healthy and ready to go, then we could of even took this series, with a different coach. His refusal to adapt and make adjustments lost us these games and series. a different coach could make those same predictable calls at the end of games but would also coach some defense, maybe call a play the other team doesn't expect and get the player fired up with more then "OK guys, what we need to do is do what we do and PUSH THE BALL" that was his time out talk in game 3... "PUSH THE BALL". There were no inspirational firing up the team to play better, no assignments on defense, no plays even really called. It was pitiful! It's like he had given up on the coaching after the first 2 games in Boston and decided "**** it, push the ball and we'll score lots of points, maybe that'll do it!"

I am disgusted. These playoffs could not have gone worse from a Knicks fan point of view. 1 win was all we really needed. At least then we could point out 1 positive from the post-season, say we left it all out on the floor and did what it took to get 1 game from Boston.

I literally prayed on Easter Sunday that the knicks would bring back JVG. Please God/Allah/Buddah/Flying Spaghetti Monster PLEASE bring us JVG or at least a coach that has a clue. I lvoe what Donnie Walsh has managed to do from a personnel point of view, but if he is tied to D'antoni then get rid of him too.

Join the team brother

Ive been preaching this for a wile now, Red is shedding light to people as well.

Mike D is the worst.

He is so stubborn, he never adjusts during games and it makes me sick. I have listed a million reasons for why this guy should not be our coach but I just hope more fans see this.

We have to admit our biggest mistake was being convinced about D'Antoni.

1. Our drafting would have been different leading to a more optimal mix f players by now

2. Our player development would be much better by now

3. We would have been a perennial playoff team by now, at least on par with Portland

I guess it just wasn't in the cards. We've had two top ten draft pick opportunities and an owner & GM willing to spend and back up our coach. Although all is not lost. We still acquired some talent, and can right the ship.

But whatever we do to correct this mistake, it must be quick.

I hear coaches defending Mike such as JVG. I can only conclude that either this is the politically correct thing to do or JVG doesn't really watch us night in and out. I know he knows better than that.

The same day he defended Mike, our team shot over 40 threes.

Now whether MOA is directly telling players to do this, or this is how his instructions are translated really matters not. The body of work and different rosters have interpreted MOA's philosophy to do the same thing

I just wanted to go back to this. there was a lot of knowledge about why D'ant was ****ing with our team and now that he's gone it sheads a lot of light onto what the knicks need to do differently to succeed. So far they are doing the things we didn't see D'ant do.

Yes this thread was a reaction to the playoff loss but it didn't make the observations any less true. D'ant couldn't adjust or manipulate the game plan to get the W. We're still seeing a lot of D'ants system but it is just being run more effectively, efficiently. We would not make the playoffs with dan't and we would not win a playoff game with D'ant and you can point to the 2010-2011 season as proof.

He's gone.. lets move on fellas

Superstar

Originally Posted by StEpHoN_mArBuRy
    He's gone.. lets move on fellas
    He tortured me for 4 long years, i need a little more time, to dance on his grave, sorry.

Veteran

Nyk Logo The worst headcoach in Knicks history....Dantoni

Originally Posted by fender0577
    He tortured me for 4 long years, i need a little more time, to dance on his grave, sorry.

I couldnt have said it better....the Knicks have hired some bum coaches in their history....but none of those bum coaches reached the BUM-BUM-BUM level of Celebrity coach Damnphoney cluelessness of coaching in the NBA...the media and sports annoucers kept Dantoni a job in the NBA for Euro-League conection (labeling Dantoni as an offensive-coach on the USA Team....as if headcoach Pop needed an offensive coach with Kobe, CP-3, Deron, Lebron, Wade, Melo, Bosh, and Howard, LOL & LOL)....until I can create a name or label for Flawed-coach-Dantoni....I will keep dancing on his grave too.

Veteran

I just wanted to go back to this. there was a lot of knowledge about why D'ant was ****ing with our team and now that he's gone it sheads a lot of light onto what the knicks need to do differently to succeed. So far they are doing the things we didn't see D'ant do.

Yes this thread was a reaction to the playoff loss but it didn't make the observations any less true. D'ant couldn't adjust or manipulate the game plan to get the W. We're still seeing a lot of D'ants system but it is just being run more effectively, efficiently. We would not make the playoffs with dan't and we would not win a playoff game with D'ant and you can point to the 2010-2011 season as proof.

When Billups pulled-out of the game (I mean) got injured in the final 2 minutes of the first game of the playoffs with the Knicks still holding the lead they had all game, to lose the game in the final seconds....when we seen Melo throw the ball to Jefferies for the final winning shot of the game....That was the RED-FLAG to FIRE Dantoni