DeAndre or CP3

Who would you rather have on the Knicks?

• DeAndre Jordan

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Chris Paul

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Straw Dogs

I would like DeAndre Jordan, but not for more than the MLE. Otherwise, try to get Dalembert, Camby, or Gasol or the equivalent for the MLE; draft Patric Young, Kenneth Faried, or Lucas Noguiera; and bring Jerome Jordan over from Europe and see how that works in terms of shoring up the front court. I might also take a chance on Oden for cheap, if Portland is ready to give up on him.

Would I draft Kemba instead? Of course. But there is almost no chance he would be available at pick #17. A point guard at 17 would more likely be Reggie Jackson or equivalent, and I would rather have one of the (defensive bigs) draft choices above.

That keeps CP3 doable next summer (as much as I would love it, Dwight Howard is just not going to happen - there are just too many teams with better pieces to offer, starting with the Lakers), and you are well on your way to being a contender.

With either Billups (next year) or CP3 (afterwards) we still need a backup PG beyond Anthony Carter (who can only give you about 10-15 minutes) but we can find one along the way for cheap.

Toney Douglas is never going to be an adequate defender, nor is he ever going to be a reliable playmaker; he is a streaky undersized shooter at best, and highly expendable if he demands serious minutes or cash.

Some folks see Wilson Chandler heading back to the Knicks this summer, but I do not see why the Knicks would want to overpay him to play out of position at SG, or limited minutes at SF.

Landry Fields I would keep, although I prefer him as the backup SG to the starting one, but I think the folks who freaked out at his rookie wall are being unreasonable and short-sighted.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Possible Exception

The one thing that might change the calculus above: If Jimmer Fredette somehow slips to #17 and Faried is also gone by #17.

It looks like my favorite - Patric Young - is returning to school. I really wanted to see him backing up both Stat and Melo, and maybe playing some at center when the Knicks go small.

I could see taking Fredette as your PG of the future, and then spending more on DeAndre Jordan because of Fredette's (and the other Knicks') weakness on defense; and because you are now maybe going a different direction than CP3.

However, even in the scenario above, I might take Noguiera instead. He is more of a project than Young or Faried, but if you go this route then Dalembert or Camby make sense as a temporary stopgaps until Noguiera is ready to start.

In any case, it is highly unlikely that the scenario above occurs, because Phoenix is expected to take Fredette at #13.

moneyg

Starter
The one thing that might change the calculus above: If Jimmer Fredette somehow slips to #17 and Faried is also gone by #17.

It looks like my favorite - Patric Young - is returning to school. I really wanted to see him backing up both Stat and Melo, and maybe playing some at center when the Knicks go small.

I could see taking Fredette as your PG of the future, and then spending more on DeAndre Jordan because of Fredette's (and the other Knicks') weakness on defense; and because you are now maybe going a different direction than CP3.

However, even in the scenario above, I might take Noguiera instead. He is more of a project than Young or Faried, but if you go this route then Dalembert or Camby make sense as a temporary stopgaps until Noguiera is ready to start.

In any case, it is highly unlikely that the scenario above occurs, because Phoenix is expected to take Fredette at #13.

also there is no way you over pay for deadre just because you get an unproven fredette at the nba level.. no way..

best case we get faried... pick up a servicable center..like dalembert (2 years 10 mil.. team option in last year) and save space for cp3... id like isaih thomas as an undrafted FA or if we can buy into the second round.... he could be our ty lawson.. which is good enough in my opinion...then we can focus on a big time big