We need to bring in Mike Brown as a defensive assistant.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
What do you guys think of this?

I think it could really work out well.

MDA does what he does with the offense..

Brown could focus on the defense.

The two could just leave one another to do what they're best at.

Makes sense to me.. :gony:

KBlack25

Starter
The same Mike Brown that lost LeBron in the middle of a hugely important season causing him to quit with many games to go in the series? That Mike Brown?

No thanks.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
The same Mike Brown that lost LeBron in the middle of a hugely important season causing him to quit with many games to go in the series? That Mike Brown?

No thanks.

Just to coach the defense, damn.. He doesn't have to be our leader , just help us get stops. He can do that much.

He'd bring the schemes they used over in San Antonio for many yrs w great results, no?

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
I don't know Rono. The last time D'antoni had the opportunity to bring in a Def Asst. he declined & was shown the door. I don't think his attitude has changed much since. I'd be damn surprised if he did hire a REAL asst instead of his brother.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
yea i know but...

I don't know Rono. The last time D'antoni had the opportunity to bring in a Def Asst. he declined & was shown the door. I don't think his attitude has changed much since. I'd be damn surprised if he did hire a REAL asst instead of his brother.

It has become painfully obvious that his brother - Dan - needs to move over or step aside.

Let em coach a D-II team or something like that. We're talking about the good of the team here. Even MDA should be able to understand that at some point.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
It has become painfully obvious that his brother - Dan - needs to move over or step aside.

Let em coach a D-II team or something like that. We're talking about the good of the team here. Even MDA should be able to understand that at some point.

You're 100% right, he really should but again we are talking about the most stubborn coach in the NBA... and that's his brother.

also.... WTF is Herb's purpose?!

I feel like all the assistant coaches are Yes Men for Dantoni.

Last edited:
Yeah I hope Dantoni is given a defenive assitant or walk ultimatum in the off season. I'm sure Donnie isn't pleased with the heavy offensive concentration with very little defense being discussed. If Dantoni declines send his ass packing

skisloper

Starter
You're 100% right, he really should but again we are talking about the most stubborn coach in the NBA... and that's his brother.

also.... WTF is Herb's purpose?!

I feel like all the assistant coaches are Yes Men for Dantoni.

The point of the assistant coaches is so they can all huddle together at timeouts and talk about pussy

^Lol Yeah.

In other news the Warriors fired Keith Smart... We should gift wrap Dantoni and send him to San Fransisco. That's a match made in heaven.

Paul1355

All Star
What do you guys think of this?

I think it could really work out well.

MDA does what he does with the offense..

Brown could focus on the defense.

The two could just leave one another to do what they're best at.

Makes sense to me.. :gony:
Mike Brown is Mike D part 2....no way

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
This article is from back in 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/sports/basketball/26oakley.html

Pull the trigger Walsh.

Since he retired from the N.B.A. in 2004, Charles Oakley has been enjoying the good life.

Oakley, a former Knick, takes regular trips to the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas, where he plays golf with his buddy Michael Jordan; preparing his own cooking show, ?Oak in the Kitchen,? where he makes meals with celebrities like Oprah Winfrey and Chris Tucker; has recently opened Red, the Steakhouse, in Miami?s South Beach; and he oversees Oakley?s Car Wash in Yonkers, where even during a down economy, ?I still have my 48-hour guarantee,? he said.

If your car gets dirty within 48 hours, drive back for another wash, if you can afford the gas.

But Oakley is willing to give it all up ? at least for nine months a year ? to return to the hard life of the hardwood as an N.B.A. assistant and help a team with player development.

?I think I have a lot to teach these young guys,? Oakley, 46, said. ?Especially on the defensive end.?

Oakley said his former teammate Patrick Ewing did a great job this season as an assistant with the Orlando Magic. He said he could have similar success with the Knicks, and told the team?s president, Donnie Walsh, just that.

?Nowadays, you may have better athletes,? he said. ?But unless they?re taught, they aren?t going to do anything in the league. I talked with Donnie after the last home game and told him that I think I have a lot to offer this team. You can?t just score more points than last year without playing defense.?

Oakley was considered one of the best defensive players in the league when he played, often guarding the other team?s best offensive players. Although he was a power forward, Oakley also covered guards and centers.

?Your offense might not be great every game,? Oakley said. ?But defense is just about working hard and outworking your opponents. This team needs a lot of work defensively, and I think I can get the job done.?

The Knicks? top draft picks ? forward Jordan Hill and guard Toney Douglas ? were on the all-defensive teams in their college conferences and could be capable students for Oakley to work with.

?Knicks fans are the smartest in the world and they know you can?t just play one end of the court,? Oakley said.

Oakley said he could also teach the players how to win. He played for the Knicks from 1988 to 1998. The Knicks made the playoffs every year. The team has not made the postseason since 2004, but Oakley said the team was on the right track.

?Donnie has done an unbelievable job getting the Knicks under the cap,? he said.

?Some fans don?t understand that to win in the N.B.A., you have to have a basketball person who can evaluate talent and understand how the cap works.?

Oakley said that because of Walsh?s maneuvering, the team would be in a position to go after LeBron James and other potential free agents.

?If they get LeBron, that?s great,? he said. ?But you need to build a solid team for the long term, and Donnie is just the guy to get it done.?

Oakley said he believed a main reason the Magic got it done, reaching the N.B.A. finals, was Ewing?s work with the players, especially Dwight Howard.

?Patrick?s doing a good job with Dwight,? he said. ?But he can only do so much. Dwight?s got to want to take his game to the next level.?

Just as Ewing preaches extra work, Oakley said that he would want his players to put in long hours to hone their game.

?Some guys get by on natural athletic ability,? Oakley said. ?And then when they reach a certain point, they got to put in the time before and after practice and in the off-season. That?s what made Michael Jordan so great and that?s what made Kobe Bryant the great player that he is now.?

jpz17

Starter
lol, no thanks. he is a bum in my opinion. sorry. but I like the idea of revamping the coaching staff.. D'Antoni can keep his brother but everyone else should be asked to step down.

KingCharles34

All Star
Mike Brown used stupid substitution rotations in the playoffs, he shoulda put Varajeo on KG more often

I like the idea of bringin back Oakley, hes was one grimey ass dude

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The point of the assistant coaches is so they can all huddle together at timeouts and talk about pussy

:teeth: HAHAHAAAAAA!

Funny shit.

I think that it's a good idea to add a defensive assistant. Not sure if Brown's the man for the job? Might want to keep it as a more specific role for someone who's focused solely on defence as a career.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Mike Brown is Mike D part 2....no way

You're missing the point. We're not looking for another head coach here. All we'd want Brown for would be to get us on the same page defensively. Mike Brown can accomplish this. He has a defensive mindset and learned from one of the best coaches in the league in Popovich.

Mike Brown used stupid substitution rotations in the playoffs, he shoulda put Varajeo on KG more often

I like the idea of bringin back Oakley, hes was one grimey ass dude

What has Oakley proved in the league other than what he's done on the court as player?

Crazy⑧s;178001 said:
:teeth: HAHAHAAAAAA!

Funny shit.

I think that it's a good idea to add a defensive assistant. Not sure if Brown's the man for the job? Might want to keep it as a more specific role for someone who's focused solely on defence as a career.

Brown is known as an offensive bungler and a dfensive strategist. He would bring what MDA doesn't, and vice versa.

KingCharles34

All Star
We both know Oakley hasnt proven anything but Mike Brown has proven to me that hes not fit for the job.

I believe Brown knows his defensive X and O's, but my biggest issue is....well both Brown and Dantoni are known for questionable rotations. Its not always about playing the best player at a position, sometimes u gotta go with the best matchup

Oakley played under 2 great coaches (Van Gundy and Riley). He was a grimey defender with a grimey mindstate although I do think he would be better with PF's and C's then other positions

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
In looking at whether Brown would be effective as a defensive assistant I think it's important to look past his personality and decisions he's made as a head coach, and look soley at the results he's gotten w re: to defensive efficiency. This makes sense because ALL he'd be doing w our team is working to increase our efficiency on the defensive end. This is what we need him for -- nothing more, nothing less..

Let's look @ what he was able to accomplish defensively w the Cavs and the result that work brought in the playoffs:

05-06: def eff rating of 105.4 (14th of 30) - eastern conference semi-finals

06-07: 101.3 (4th of 30) - finals

07-08: 106.4 (11th of 30) - eastern conference semi-finals

08-09: 102.4 (3rd of 30) - eastern conference finals

09-10: 104.1 (7th of 30) - eastern conference semi-finals

No surprise the higher def eff ratings result in deeper playoff runs.

Mike Brown can coach defense. One could argue rather easily that the blandness/ predictability of his offensive schemes is one factor in what held him back from better results in the post season. Running up against teams w better personnel didn't help matters either.

After the loss of Bron and the firing of Brown, the Cavs defense plummeted:

10-11: 111.8 (29th of 30)

IMO Brown would seriously improve us defensively and he should be given serious consideration for the position. I'd be willing to bet he's on Donnie's radar, possibly his shortlist even.

KingCharles34

All Star
Well u made some good points ron, Id still like to look at some of the other candidates but I do believe that u proved why Mike brown should be taken into consideration. I mean...you right, for purely defensive purposes he would fit the job.