Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We need to bring in Mike Brown as a defensive assistant.

Originally Posted by skisloper
    The point of the assistant coaches is so they can all huddle together at timeouts and talk about *****
    HAHAHAAAAAA!

Funny ****.

I think that it's a good idea to add a defensive assistant. Not sure if Brown's the man for the job? Might want to keep it as a more specific role for someone who's focused solely on defence as a career.

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Mike Brown is Mike D part 2....no way
    You're missing the point. We're not looking for another head coach here. All we'd want Brown for would be to get us on the same page defensively. Mike Brown can accomplish this. He has a defensive mindset and learned from one of the best coaches in the league in Popovich.

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    Mike Brown used stupid substitution rotations in the playoffs, he shoulda put Varajeo on KG more often

I like the idea of bringin back Oakley, hes was one grimey ass dude
    What has Oakley proved in the league other than what he's done on the court as player?

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    HAHAHAAAAAA!

Funny ****.

I think that it's a good idea to add a defensive assistant. Not sure if Brown's the man for the job? Might want to keep it as a more specific role for someone who's focused solely on defence as a career.
    Brown is known as an offensive bungler and a dfensive strategist. He would bring what MDA doesn't, and vice versa.

We both know Oakley hasnt proven anything but Mike Brown has proven to me that hes not fit for the job.

I believe Brown knows his defensive X and O's, but my biggest issue is....well both Brown and Dantoni are known for questionable rotations. Its not always about playing the best player at a position, sometimes u gotta go with the best matchup

Oakley played under 2 great coaches (Van Gundy and Riley). He was a grimey defender with a grimey mindstate although I do think he would be better with PF's and C's then other positions

Nyk Logo

In looking at whether Brown would be effective as a defensive assistant I think it's important to look past his personality and decisions he's made as a head coach, and look soley at the results he's gotten w re: to defensive efficiency. This makes sense because ALL he'd be doing w our team is working to increase our efficiency on the defensive end. This is what we need him for -- nothing more, nothing less..

Let's look @ what he was able to accomplish defensively w the Cavs and the result that work brought in the playoffs:

05-06: def eff rating of 105.4 (14th of 30) - eastern conference semi-finals

06-07: 101.3 (4th of 30) - finals

07-08: 106.4 (11th of 30) - eastern conference semi-finals

08-09: 102.4 (3rd of 30) - eastern conference finals

09-10: 104.1 (7th of 30) - eastern conference semi-finals

No surprise the higher def eff ratings result in deeper playoff runs.

Mike Brown can coach defense. One could argue rather easily that the blandness/ predictability of his offensive schemes is one factor in what held him back from better results in the post season. Running up against teams w better personnel didn't help matters either.

After the loss of Bron and the firing of Brown, the Cavs defense plummeted:

10-11: 111.8 (29th of 30)

IMO Brown would seriously improve us defensively and he should be given serious consideration for the position. I'd be willing to bet he's on Donnie's radar, possibly his shortlist even.

Well u made some good points ron, Id still like to look at some of the other candidates but I do believe that u proved why Mike brown should be taken into consideration. I mean...you right, for purely defensive purposes he would fit the job.