Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 80

Thread: Mike forced to conform. Adding DEFENSIVE asst.

  1. #31
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I dont like it. For these reasons:

    1) MOA still has the final say on who plays. This reason alone is enough for us not to get to excited. If we hire a defensive assistant what makes you all think the players that are better defensively are gonna play?

    2) Being that MOA still has final say we could still lose out on players that fit any type of defensive scheme we try to implement. A player like Jeff Foster still may not want to sign with us, and if he does what guarantee does he have that he's gonna get burn? A guy like this we can use coming off the bench.

    Its better for everyone if MOA just leaves outright...

  2. #32
    Member JeffVanGundyPLEASE!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Hallelujah! this is the best news that i heard all season (aside from amare and melo) thank god do u think donnie secretly visits this site....
    i wonder as i dream about not 1 not two but 7 championships in my head lol

  3. #33
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    I dont like it. For these reasons:

    1) MOA still has the final say on who plays. This reason alone is enough for us not to get to excited. If we hire a defensive assistant what makes you all think the players that are better defensively are gonna play?

    2) Being that MOA still has final say we could still lose out on players that fit any type of defensive scheme we try to implement. A player like Jeff Foster still may not want to sign with us, and if he does what guarantee does he have that he's gonna get burn? A guy like this we can use coming off the bench.

    Its better for everyone if MOA just leaves outright...
    To answer your first question, I counter with another question: What makes you think hiring a defensive assistant won't make the players that do play better on defense?

  4. #34
    Member SoCal KnicksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    If every move the Knicks make is trying to fit the coach, it would be far less trouble to just get rid of MOA and hire someone more flexible.

  5. #35
    SWAGABURY KingStarbury3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chinabury
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    Now you feel appropriate to hail Mike for being FORCED to accept help towards his deficiency instead of subverting our goals doing things his flawed way?

    Way to spin things and remain humble... a simple I'm glad would do.

    And of course you think you deserve credit.

    N*gga please, this just underscores the knowledgeable view points, you didn't share when defending him.

    And I'm not referring to when you straddled the fence, I'm referring to when you refused to recognize. This is a further example of your refusal to admit the truth and spin things to fit your point.

    I'm well aware. Trust me. This is a "Mike isn't doing a good job" referendum, not a "see Mike knows wassup" moment.

    If anything myself and others have a right to say "we told you so"...
    Your rep futher tanks as a result. Spin doc's are out!
    No disrespect to them other posters but I agree with this right here...although kblacks following post sounded like he mighta been being sarcastic in his first post. I didnt read any posts after that, but like I said its only because donnie G is being more assertive.

    In Phoenix, Mike D left a team that seemed to have problems finding the right mix of players after trading the Matrix for Shaq. And Nash has been gettin older even though he still nice and same with Grant Hill....Is this something that Mike D woulda ever came to the conclusion that he needs to do on his own? He sure seemed insecure the first time the media asked him about hiring a defensive assistant. On the flipside maybe its not just because the knicks front office is being encouraged to hire a defensive assistant, but maybe he was already beginning to come to that conclusion after the playoffs. Maybe he seen these other teams like Boston, Miami, and Chicago all playing great defense and finally realized that he wont be successful if his team dont play more defense. We'll never know, but I tend to side more with the "hes mainly doing it because the knicks front office is telling him to" opinion

  6. #36
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    To answer your first question, I counter with another question: What makes you think hiring a defensive assistant won't make the players that do play better on defense?
    Since when is answering a question with a question proper. That being said. Sure they may play better. But, you still need players that primarily concentrate on the defensive end. You need them on your roster & getting PT. MOA has never been one to consider something like this. Offense has always been first with him...

  7. #37
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    Since when is answering a question with a question proper. That being said. Sure they may play better. But, you still need players that primarily concentrate on the defensive end. You need them on your roster & getting PT. MOA has never been one to consider something like this. Offense has always been first with him...
    Since when is answering a question with a question proper? I don't know...you seemed okay with doing it.

    Certain guys on this squad are going to get minutes...all year you begged and moaned and bitched that MDA isn't preaching defense, and that it "didn't matter" what the roster was (these are YOUR statements), any coach should be able to preach, and get the team to play better, defense. Now, it looks like we will be getting a coach on the staff that can do so, exactly what you wanted...no?

    In fact

    Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    Disagree. (Defense) can be instilled in these players. You teach it and practice it everyday it becomes second nature. By the way, doing anything in life everyday makes it become second nature. You do realize this I hope.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Now it's the roster that needs adjusting (which is what I suggested in the first place)? Which is it? Or are you just out to disagree with me?
    Last edited by KBlack25; Apr 29, 2011 at 18:26.

  8. #38
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    653
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    Since when is answering a question with a question proper. That being said. Sure they may play better. But, you still need players that primarily concentrate on the defensive end. You need them on your roster & getting PT. MOA has never been one to consider something like this. Offense has always been first with him...
    If its offense first, then why the hell does Jared Jeffries get so much burn.

    Isnt that weird?

  9. #39
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Since when is answering a question with a question proper? I don't know...you seemed okay with doing it.

    Certain guys on this squad are going to get minutes...all year you begged and moaned and bitched that MDA isn't preaching defense, and that it "didn't matter" what the roster was (these are YOUR statements), any coach should be able to preach, and get the team to play better, defense. Now, it looks like we will be getting a coach on the staff that can do so, exactly what you wanted...no?

    In fact



    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Now it's the roster that needs adjusting (which is what I suggested in the first place)? Which is it? Or are you just out to disagree with me?
    Lets just put it like this. MOA has the ultimate control over who plays. I dont trust him to play the right players at the right times, because he's never had to do it before. He doesnt have the experience necessary to make offensive and defensive switches to end games. I just watched how Lionel Hollins did just that to close out SA. Switching in Mayo & Allen and vice-versa. Know why Hollins knows this is the thing to do. He played hard fought games in the NBA playoffs. Has Mike? Would Mike be willing?

    As far as the roster everyone thinks that this roster needs some upgrades. Heck I thought Walsh did an excellent job upgrading this past year. We wouldnt know it because a few of the players never saw any burn.

    Fellow Knick fans you actually trust MOA to do the right thing as far as playing time when it comes to bigs?

    I DONT...

  10. #40
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by Blumatic
    If its offense first, then why the hell does Jared Jeffries get so much burn.

    Isnt that weird?
    Maybe because he's doing MOA. Who knows. MOA is enamored with Jeffries for some strange reason. But Jeffries isnt the type of defensive player this team needs. They need a big strong space eater.

  11. #41
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Also let me add this roster as currently constructed wont be a juggernaut defensive team. Billups will have problems staying in front of most PGs. Fields should be OK. Melo should be fine STAT needs to work with someone. We have no center.

    But even if we got a center, a defensive coach whats going to keep MOA from trying to exploit matchups offensively? Shawn Williams on Dwight wont work defensively no matter who the coach is. You could bring back RED HOLTZMAN and it wont work.

    We need a new HEAD COACH...

  12. #42
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Great news.

    Great, great, great news.

    The offence will benefit from it too, in the form of the fast break. We were underachieving in that area from our poor defence all season, IMO.

    Wonder who'll get the nod?

  13. #43
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    Lets just put it like this. MOA has the ultimate control over who plays. I dont trust him to play the right players at the right times, because he's never had to do it before. He doesnt have the experience necessary to make offensive and defensive switches to end games. I just watched how Lionel Hollins did just that to close out SA. Switching in Mayo & Allen and vice-versa. Know why Hollins knows this is the thing to do. He played hard fought games in the NBA playoffs. Has Mike? Would Mike be willing?

    As far as the roster everyone thinks that this roster needs some upgrades. Heck I thought Walsh did an excellent job upgrading this past year. We wouldnt know it because a few of the players never saw any burn.

    Fellow Knick fans you actually trust MOA to do the right thing as far as playing time when it comes to bigs?

    I DONT...
    I hear you.

    We still have roster issues, let alone rotation and overall strategic decisions that are controlled by Mike. And he has demonstrated his propensity to base these decisions on his flawed approach i.e. Not valuing Randolph etc...

    So I get it. A defensive assistant really can't help without an overhaul in philosophy and approach by Mike.

    I think the positive aspect is, this is an indication that the primary decision makers (Walsh & co.) know what the deal is. This may be either a prelude to the end of Mike, or can be a strategic move knowing he might not accept it in the first place.

    But yeah if Mike disagrees he can still subvert our goals in many ways as he's done since his arrival- directly or indirectly.

  14. #44
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Clyde just spent the last year saying the roster doesn't need an overhaul. In fact there was a long debate with Trillion, I believe, about how the roster still needed a ton of work and Clyde stated that if a coach preached defense this roster could work and play better defense...

    Now the roster DOES need an overhaul, despite the fact that we are getting a coach in who apparently will preach defense?

    It's obvious what's going on here...

  15. #45
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Clyde just spent the last year saying the roster doesn't need an overhaul. In fact there was a long debate with Trillion, I believe, about how the roster still needed a ton of work and Clyde stated that if a coach preached defense this roster could work and play better defense...

    Now the roster DOES need an overhaul, despite the fact that we are getting a coach in who apparently will preach defense?

    It's obvious what's going on here...
    it is.. that oantoni is know for lack of defensive strategy... stop blaming it on the players when we had good defensive players and the oppurtunity to get defensive players.. but didnt because they didnt fit his system of not playing defense..

    it that simple.. he is only tryin to change for and extension...but doent mean he can

Similar Threads

  1. Can We Win w/ D'Antoni
    By BleedOrange&Blue in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: Nov 27, 2011, 14:33
  2. This Is Why We Need A New Coach.
    By Red in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: Apr 27, 2011, 08:43
  3. Replies: 115
    Last Post: Apr 24, 2011, 06:33
  4. MIKE D plays DEFENSIVE Players so STOPPP THE NONSENSE.
    By DontForgetDerekHarper in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: Jan 18, 2011, 12:25
  5. Mike D'Antoni The Meter Is Running
    By KNICKMATIC809 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: Apr 28, 2010, 20:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •