Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 76 to 80 of 80

Thread: Mike forced to conform. Adding DEFENSIVE asst.

  1. #76
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    8

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by MusketeerX
    Well said.

    Now, I do think a defensive assistant can help, but ultimately it will hurt us in the long run. MDA will still be calling the shots, and we won't use talented players because of him (Mozgov, Randolph, Brewer)

    agreed ... but he might not get fired because their wont be any highprofile coaches until the following season

    so id have to settle for an assisant.... but Oantoni has to allow this assisatant to get valuable practice time with the team....which will cut into Oantoni's time...

    the fact the Kblack says "Perhaps that's the only way he's going to keep his job..."


    the mere fact thats the only reason he will even consider it is a disgrace...

    he has to believe in it...and my concern is that he never will...he will just remain in denial

  2. #77
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    agreed ... but he might not get fired because their wont be any highprofile coaches until the following season

    so id have to settle for an assisant.... but Oantoni has to allow this assisatant to get valuable practice time with the team....which will cut into Oantoni's time...

    the fact the Kblack says "Perhaps that's the only way he's going to keep his job..."


    the mere fact thats the only reason he will even consider it is a disgrace...

    he has to believe in it...and my concern is that he never will...he will just remain in denial
    Even if he does let the assistant have "valuable" time with the team, are we going to become a more deliberate offense? Are we going to crash the boards to try to get extra offensive possessions to compensate for our missed, early, shots, and give up points in transition? Or are we going to be a team that sacrifices offensive boards and get back on D on nearly every possession? If that's the mindset, we HAVE to change our offense.

    Our offense needs to go hand in hand with our defense, and right now our offense = transition points for the opposing team. To have a defense at the level that we want and need to be true contenders, we need a slower, more deliberate offense. Preferably inside out. We can always run at the appropriate times, instead of trying to push the pace at all costs. But that comes from the top, Mike is gonna have to realize this and want this, and most importantly, be able to coach this style....comfortably.

    These are the questions the front office need to ask and make a decision on which is more important, political correctness and image (keeping the coach in place after your first playoff appearance in 7 years), or building a team from top to bottom, that WILL be perennial contenders (firing this staff and putting together one where everyone is on the same page, philosophically).

  3. #78
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    8

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Even if he does let the assistant have "valuable" time with the team, are we going to become a more deliberate offense? Are we going to crash the boards to try to get extra offensive possessions to compensate for our missed, early, shots, and give up points in transition? Or are we going to be a team that sacrifices offensive boards and get back on D on nearly every possession? If that's the mindset, we HAVE to change our offense.

    Our offense needs to go hand in hand with our defense, and right now our offense = transition points for the opposing team. To have a defense at the level that we want and need to be true contenders, we need a slower, more deliberate offense. Preferably inside out. We can always run at the appropriate times, instead of trying to push the pace at all costs. But that comes from the top, Mike is gonna have to realize this and want this, and most importantly, be able to coach this style....comfortably.

    These are the questions the front office need to ask and make a decision on which is more important, political correctness and image (keeping the coach in place after your first playoff appearance in 7 years), or building a team from top to bottom, that WILL be perennial contenders (firing this staff and putting together one where everyone is on the same page, philosophically).
    im not saying sign this dude to an extension .. but if we plan to keep him for one more year .. he has to conform...

  4. #79
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Even if he does let the assistant have "valuable" time with the team, are we going to become a more deliberate offense? Are we going to crash the boards to try to get extra offensive possessions to compensate for our missed, early, shots, and give up points in transition? Or are we going to be a team that sacrifices offensive boards and get back on D on nearly every possession? If that's the mindset, we HAVE to change our offense.

    Our offense needs to go hand in hand with our defense, and right now our offense = transition points for the opposing team. To have a defense at the level that we want and need to be true contenders, we need a slower, more deliberate offense. Preferably inside out. We can always run at the appropriate times, instead of trying to push the pace at all costs. But that comes from the top, Mike is gonna have to realize this and want this, and most importantly, be able to coach this style....comfortably.

    These are the questions the front office need to ask and make a decision on which is more important, political correctness and image (keeping the coach in place after your first playoff appearance in 7 years), or building a team from top to bottom, that WILL be perennial contenders (firing this staff and putting together one where everyone is on the same page, philosophically).
    Agreed.

    The only way a defensive assistant works is when he is able to perpetuate the ideals of the HC. And no one is willing to believe in MDA's approach.

    If this is a situation where the assistant's philosophies subvert MDA's then a combative relationship can form. This can divide a team (as you say everyone needs to be on the same page) and caused more issues.

    An assistant is just that- he assists in what the HC is trying to do. He can't if they don't both agree with the approach.

    is MDA willing to accept this? Accept getting rid of "his staff", or circumventing them?

    No. I can only speculate that's what's going on behind the scenes. The front office and the coach may be at an impass, and might be realizing they share irreconcilable differences.

  5. #80
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Even if he does let the assistant have "valuable" time with the team, are we going to become a more deliberate offense? Are we going to crash the boards to try to get extra offensive possessions to compensate for our missed, early, shots, and give up points in transition? Or are we going to be a team that sacrifices offensive boards and get back on D on nearly every possession? If that's the mindset, we HAVE to change our offense.

    Our offense needs to go hand in hand with our defense, and right now our offense = transition points for the opposing team. To have a defense at the level that we want and need to be true contenders, we need a slower, more deliberate offense. Preferably inside out. We can always run at the appropriate times, instead of trying to push the pace at all costs. But that comes from the top, Mike is gonna have to realize this and want this, and most importantly, be able to coach this style....comfortably.

    These are the questions the front office need to ask and make a decision on which is more important, political correctness and image (keeping the coach in place after your first playoff appearance in 7 years), or building a team from top to bottom, that WILL be perennial contenders (firing this staff and putting together one where everyone is on the same page, philosophically).
    This is so true. Well said...

Similar Threads

  1. Can We Win w/ D'Antoni
    By BleedOrange&Blue in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: Nov 27, 2011, 13:33
  2. This Is Why We Need A New Coach.
    By Red in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: Apr 27, 2011, 07:43
  3. Replies: 115
    Last Post: Apr 24, 2011, 05:33
  4. MIKE D plays DEFENSIVE Players so STOPPP THE NONSENSE.
    By DontForgetDerekHarper in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: Jan 18, 2011, 11:25
  5. Mike D'Antoni The Meter Is Running
    By KNICKMATIC809 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: Apr 28, 2010, 19:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •