Thread: Z-Bo and Jamal

Hybrid View

Default Z-Bo and Jamal

Why did both fail in New York?

Z-Bo just lifted Memphis over the Spurs in a fantastic playoff series. He's putting up 20-10 for years, a true double double machine, good jump shot, good at posting up and a determined competitor.

Jamal Crawford, won 6th man of the year award in Atlanta last season and had a fantastic playoff series vs Orlando. He absolutely killed them as a 6th man, hitting jumpers, threes and attacking the basket. He even dished out some nice assists.

Yet when both were 'our' players we failed miserably. In 2007-2008 we won 23 games all year....23!!

We also had D.Lee and Starbury, unbelievable we didn't make the playoffs with that roster. We didn't even come close. We should have been somewhere around 5th seed with those players.

Was thinking about this.

Randolph really matured. Also, he knows when to pass now, and makes nice passes too.

Crawford is doing great.

Makes me wonder how Lee and Randolph would be together now, or Amar'e and Lee, what a beast front-court that would be.

Who knows. While I'm happy with our situation now, would have been great to have them play like this for us.

Superstar

Default agree

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    Was thinking about this.

Randolph really matured. Also, he knows when to pass now, and makes nice passes too.

Crawford is doing great.

Makes me wonder how Lee and Randolph would be together now, or Amar'e and Lee, what a beast front-court that would be.

Who knows. While I'm happy with our situation now, would have been great to have them play like this for us.
    Yes ZR is making us all very sorry we lost him. Lee to. But Zac is putting up HUGE Numbers in pts,rebs and even in steals and assists. Wish we still had him

As I said for years, during the Isaiah era, we needed a center. The Hawks have Horford, who, though undersized and only averaging 1 BPG for the regular season, is willing to challenge shots and play help-D.

The Griz have a terrific center in Marc Gasol: he rebounds, plays great help D, can block shots at an impressive clip, is a willing passer, etc.

We, on the other hand, had EC, who wouldn't play D if his life depended on it. And DLee was MIA on any sort of defense: blocks, help D, whatever, he is a cancer on D.

So that's it... you can have great players forever, and Jamal was actually more explosive while on the Knicks, than at any other time since, and Zach (while improved) was still a great scorer and rebounder while on the Knicks, but if you don't give them a big that will control the boards and help them on D, it's a wrap.

I think OGknicksfan summed it up, none of them play any defense. And Marbury only played around 20 games that year because of a foot injury and because of Isiahs antics

Superstar

Well look at all of their jerseys. They are all playing for different teams. Its chemistry. Its the group of players. Everyone knew that we had talent on that team. But all those guys were ball hoggers and scorers. Randolph is on a team that plays defense so it hides his inability to do so. But he rebounds well. Same with Crawford. He was teh starting 2-guard here. There he comes off the bench.

Even if we went to the playoffs, that team was wiining no championship anytime soon. Then mangement would have signed all those guys to long term contracts and we would end up being like Atlanta. No thanks.

We set up nicely now.

I did not read the whole thread but both did not fail in NYC.

Zbo was playing great but had a bad contract so he was traded in order to free up space.

Jamal had brilliant stretches in NYC but is best suited coming off the bench. Jamal's problem in NYC was that he thought he was a star and is only now thriving in the right role as an energy player surrounded by strong franchise players that can keep his ego in check.

KnicksonLIN.com

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    Why did both fail in New York?

Z-Bo just lifted Memphis over the Spurs in a fantastic playoff series. He's putting up 20-10 for years, a true double double machine, good jump shot, good at posting up and a determined competitor.
    Zach Randolph was always an elite power forward. He doesn't play defense, but he does everything else.

People just kept criticizing him, because they wanted him to be God.

Randolph can't lead a team by himself. He needs help. In Memphis, he has the help needed to win games(Gasol, Conley, Allen, Battier, Gay-when healthy). That's what he needed in New York, but all he had was Quentin Richardson, Eddy Curry, and Mardy Collins.

I was supportive of Randolph the entire time he was on the Knicks, and people kept giving me a hard time about it.

I guess now you guys see what me, Kiyaman, and Kingstarbury saw in Zach Randolph.

I was not a big fan of Jamal Crawford, and I'm still not. But I always mentioned how he was a good shooter and deserved to stay on the team.
    Like Randolph, he doesn't play defense, but he can score in bunches.

It's the same thing with Stephon Marbury. People wanted him to be God.
    Seriously, not even Michael Jordan himself could have been successful with a frontcourt of Quentin Richardson, Channing Frye, and Eddy Curry. That had nothing to do with Marbury.

I was never a fan of trying to buy a championship. I wanted the Knicks to build up their team little by little.

But I still like Stoudemire, Anthony, and Billups. I just want Antoni off the team.

Good post abcd.

Agree with you on everything, except Billups. I must admit he didn't play much, but I'm not convinced he's what we need at this stage of his career. He's pretty much a volume shooter these days and not as good of a playmaker as I thought.

I hope you guys are right (those who support him) and he'll have a good overall season in 2011-2012!

I'd rather see him putting up 16 ppg and 8 apg than 20 ppg and 5 apg on erratic shooting.

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    Good post abcd.

Agree with you on everything, except Billups. I must admit he didn't play much, but I'm not convinced he's what we need at this stage of his career. He's pretty much a volume shooter these days and not as good of a playmaker as I thought.

I hope you guys are right (those who support him) and he'll have a good overall season in 2011-2012!

I'd rather see him putting up 16 ppg and 8 apg than 20 ppg and 5 apg on erratic shooting.
    The tricky thing with Billups is - at the very least he is a name. We can move him as a trade chip for something better (his 14.2 mil expiring is a pretty huge trade chip)...if he can stay on the floor, we could flip him around for something nice, especially if he gets inflated stats playing with Amare and Carmelo.

Also: I am very surprised (even more than I was before) at how many people supported Z-Bo...I thought I was in the minority, but I guess it was a silent majority that supported the guy.

Actually a lot of Knicks fans (me included) were a bit more silent those dark days... I didn't even know about place like this where I could have a talk on our team with other fans. And maybe that's why you didn't realize some people supported ZR as well...

edit: now I'm quite sure Berman reads this forum, we started discussing our trade possibilities in the upcoming 2011/12 season, Berman writes about that the next day, now we're talking about 'what could happen if we kept Randolph and Crawford' and Berman posted an article concerning the same issues on his Knicks blog just two hours ago.
    Last edited by Lercher; May 02, 2011 at 16:08.

Green rep for ABCD's post

That was about as on point as it gets

And i just wanted to add

who saw Randolph son the sh*t outta kendikk Jerkins?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Kevin Durant declared Zach Randolph the best forward in the league.

"You canít stop him," Durant said. "Heís an animal . . . Heís the best power forward in the league."

Kendrick Perkins didnít rubber stamp that endorsement. Perkins declined to name his top power forward, but itís not Randolph.

ďIf he says so,Ē Perkins said about Durantís opinion. ďI donít agree . . . Iím not going to give my opposing opponent the credit that I got to go against. So if Kevin says (Randolph is) the best power forward, then thatís Kevinís opinion.íí

After being told in a news conference about Durantís compliment, Randolph said, ďOh, yeah, I got to agree with that. Thanks, KD. I appreciate it.Ē Randolph also said that, overall, ďI donít get lot of respect that I deserve.íí

Certainly not from Perkins. Informed what the Boston big man had said, the 6-9, 255-pound Randolph told FOXSports.com:

ďPerkís good, but all Perk can do is foul me. Thatís the only thing he can do. The best thing about his defense on me is to foul me . . . He canít (stop Randolph). Heís too slow. Heís a big body. He can foul.

ďI donít think nobody in the league can stop me. Not only Perk. I tell Perk to his face. I already told him before.íí

I believe Zach too he'd snuff the sh*t outta perkins if he stepped to him