Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Where's the love for Bill Walker?

  1. #1
    Member ducktales17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    280
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Where's the love for Bill Walker?

    I'm reading all these posts from everybody and it seems like the general consensus is to not bring him back.

    Personally, he's my favorite player off the bench. I think he showed a lot of growth in the playoffs. I understand he had that 0-11 game, but he wasn't taking bad shots they just weren't going down. He seemed to rise to the occasion and looked REALLY comfortable and assertive out there on the court. I was impressed with a lot of his drives to the basket. Plus, he truly could be a lock down defender if he keeps working at it.

    Remember the one possession where the shot clock was winding down and Walker did a through the legs dribble, step back, jumpshot from just inside the 3 point line? If he can continue to add that to his game he could be fantastic.

    He needs to get rid of that off arm push off when he goes up big for a dunk. I'm not worried about this because it's just a habit he needs to break. He's probably just used to soaring above people in college that he's a little surprised at the amount of resistance he gets.

    For those who don't want him back...... I just want to hear your opinion because I think its a no brainer.

  2. #2
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I hope he really improves on his offensive game this summer, same with Landry, Shawne, and TD .

  3. #3
    Veteran petescud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,815
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    BW just needs to be more consistent. Some games he's putting up respectable bench numbers, and some games he scores 3 points in 25 minutes of play. I'd just like to see more consistantcy with his game. He's a keeper IMO though

  4. #4
    Veteran Knicksfansince92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,012
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    He needs to learn how to play team
    basketball on both offense and
    defense also stop with the highlight
    dunks, every time he was called for
    pushing off.
    But at maybe 3yr/1million per we could
    use his rebounding and 3pt% for 7-12 mins
    he still is young and i think he could develop
    to be a poor man's Affalo with less defense.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,965
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Walker was use wrong in our rotation throughout the entire
    season to evaluate a return for next season.
    It does not matter if Landry Fields was playing like Kobe, a rookie
    should come off the bench.
    Walker shouldve at least started half of the games this season, now
    that wouldve motivated his offseason to become a better bench player
    next season.

  6. #6
    Member NewYork 21 Knicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    134
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Walker was use wrong in our rotation throughout the entire
    season to evaluate a return for next season.
    It does not matter if Landry Fields was playing like Kobe, a rookie
    should come off the bench.
    Walker shouldve at least started half of the games this season, now
    that wouldve motivated his offseason to become a better bench player
    next season.
    i agree with this 100%.. not that our team was much last year but that game when he started in cleveland in place of t mac and was the only one to score more then 20 points and had a career high was a great game for him.... i know it wasnt much to talk about but he always looked good as a starter.. it was deffinetly good motivation.

  7. #7
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    He rarely plays any defense. He's had a few good moments this season but for the most part he is 1 of the worst defensive players on this roster. There's really no excuse for a role player to only play defense only when he wants to play it. This isn't like he's spending most of his energy trying to carry the team scoring wise, he needs to learn that the only way he'll ever have any type of success in the NBA is if he decides to put forth the effort defensively on a night in & night out basis.

    I wouldn't be upset to see him return but I would much rather bring in a defensive minded role player like a Tony Allen/Aaron Afflalo/DeShawn Stevenson-type to take his place. Wouldn't mind bringing Kelenna Azabuike back either if he's healthy to start the season, I was disappointed we never got to see him play in this system.

  8. #8
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    He's not consistent enough for his role. I actually don't think it matters if he comes back or not. He's medicore, and in the draft it's unlikely we'll get anyone better than him.

  9. #9
    Newbie takeshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    looking forward to seeing Bill Walker modifies himself after summer

  10. #10
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by STAT1
    He rarely plays any defense. He's had a few good moments this season but for the most part he is 1 of the worst defensive players on this roster. There's really no excuse for a role player to only play defense only when he wants to play it. This isn't like he's spending most of his energy trying to carry the team scoring wise, he needs to learn that the only way he'll ever have any type of success in the NBA is if he decides to put forth the effort defensively on a night in & night out basis.

    I wouldn't be upset to see him return but I would much rather bring in a defensive minded role player like a Tony Allen/Aaron Afflalo/DeShawn Stevenson-type to take his place. Wouldn't mind bringing Kelenna Azabuike back either if he's healthy to start the season, I was disappointed we never got to see him play in this system.
    I agree w this post in full.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,965
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally Posted by STAT1
    He rarely plays any defense. He's had a few good moments this season but for the most part he is 1 of the worst defensive players on this roster. There's really no excuse for a role player to only play defense only when he wants to play it. This isn't like he's spending most of his energy trying to carry the team scoring wise, he needs to learn that the only way he'll ever have any type of success in the NBA is if he decides to put forth the effort defensively on a night in & night out basis.

    I wouldn't be upset to see him return but I would much rather bring in a defensive minded role player like a Tony Allen/Aaron Afflalo/DeShawn Stevenson-type to take his place. Wouldn't mind bringing Kelenna Azabuike back either if he's healthy to start the season, I was disappointed we never got to see him play in this system.

    Walker like alot of the Knicks role-players for the pass 3 seasons
    wanted to please Dantoni by hitting 3-balls to get steady playingtime
    (ala Shawn Williams). And that was/is a BAD-THING for any NBA team
    (it may be good-thing in the Euro-League).
    Walker been looking for a Thibideau or Doc to give him a role to play
    on the court which is something u can not expect from a wide-open
    peremeter offense and a man to man defense (Dantoni's system for
    3 straight seasons with the Knicks). An embarrassing system to use in
    the playoffs.

    Walker & Felton shouldve been our starters with the depth of
    Douglas & Fields backing them up.
    Felton talents/skills for 5 years as a Bobcat prove Felton was not
    a 30+ mpg PG (28 mpg wouldve fit Felton speed better as a starter).
    Plus Douglas shouldve been given at least 18 mpg at running the point
    at the start of the regular season rather than the 4 minutes each half
    he received with Felton averaging 40 mpg....never sharing the point
    with Douglas when the two were on the court together.
    I wonder how Felton felt in Denver when Nene/Martin/and Birdman
    kept throwing the rock to JR Smith, Affalo, and Lawson to bring the
    ball up court to call an offensive play?
    .

  12. #12
    Newbie takeshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Walker not even show us the real Walker under the current system, don't you guys feel every move of Walker does not come natural? Walker seems hesitate to do some wild or creative thing in front of Dantoni as this would minimize his playing time if he does something out of the rule of Dantoni.. what a waste of his talent...sigh..

  13. #13
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Walker like alot of the Knicks role-players for the pass 3 seasons
    wanted to please Dantoni by hitting 3-balls to get steady playingtime
    (ala Shawn Williams). And that was/is a BAD-THING for any NBA team
    (it may be good-thing in the Euro-League).
    Walker been looking for a Thibideau or Doc to give him a role to play
    on the court which is something u can not expect from a wide-open
    peremeter offense and a man to man defense (Dantoni's system for
    3 straight seasons with the Knicks). An embarrassing system to use in
    the playoffs.

    Walker & Felton shouldve been our starters with the depth of
    Douglas & Fields backing them up.
    Felton talents/skills for 5 years as a Bobcat prove Felton was not
    a 30+ mpg PG (28 mpg wouldve fit Felton speed better as a starter).
    Plus Douglas shouldve been given at least 18 mpg at running the point
    at the start of the regular season rather than the 4 minutes each half
    he received with Felton averaging 40 mpg....never sharing the point
    with Douglas when the two were on the court together.
    I wonder how Felton felt in Denver when Nene/Martin/and Birdman
    kept throwing the rock to JR Smith, Affalo, and Lawson to bring the
    ball up court to call an offensive play?
    .
    He just seems like a lazy player to me period. He only D's up when he's going up against Lebron from what I've noticed. Most other games he's usually very lackadaisical on defense always in cruise control. Hardly ever uses his explosive athleticism to put down any power dunks in the lane, almost always taking the easy way out & launching up a 3 pointer. Perhaps the coach's system has something to do with having that type of chucker's mentality, but I have to think there was a reason why he never got any playing time in Boston either. You cited Shawne Williams as an example, but to me Shawne Williams has shown a penchant & desire to play defense in a good portion of the games I've watched him play. He's not exactly a defensive stopper but he does give an honest effort out there, never really coasting & isn't afraid to body up on defense against bigger opponents (how many times did we have to see him guarding other teams' Centers in crunchtime because of MDA's nonsensical rotations?). I don't think he's a good comparison to Bill Walker at all to tell you the truth. Shawne is actually someone I think has his head & heart in the right place & strikes me as a guy who can be a part of a winning formula in NY. Not sure I can say the same about Bill Walker.

  14. #14
    Veteran petescud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,815
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Well, one things for sure, i want Shawn Williams back more then Walker, if i had the choice. SW has elevated his game in the right direction and was a steady player for us

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    He just need to be more consistent, i think dude is a great role player off the bench. He just need to work and improve his game this summer.

Similar Threads

  1. Sharing Our Spirituality
    By OGKnickfan in forum Hangout
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Feb 04, 2011, 14:48
  2. New Knick Walker says he saw lack of leaders
    By KNICKMATIC809 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Apr 29, 2010, 17:08
  3. Walker vs Chandler
    By nyk_nyk in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: Mar 12, 2010, 06:58
  4. Walker
    By Crazy⑧s in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar 11, 2010, 22:06
  5. Antoine Walker
    By allan20 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul 22, 2003, 05:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •