Walsh to persue Dalembert this offseason

iJoe

Rotation player
This would pretty much mean we give up on CP3 or Dwight. I'm not a huge fan of Dalembert, but if we can get him at a bargain it would be great. Unfortunately, there is a big demand for centers among multiple teams.

With the chances slim of adding a quality center with the 17th pick in the draft and with an unkind salary cap situation in 2011, sources close to Knicks president Donnie Walsh say he has targeted Kings 6-foot-11 shotblocker Samuel Dalembert as the likeliest free-agent catch this summer.
Walsh's old-school principles have made adding a big, bruising starting defensive center to play alongside power forward Amar'e Stoudemire as his No. 1 priority. It might be a strong enough urge to sacrifice what could be maximum cap room in 2012, essentially sacrificing a shot at point guard Chris Paul.
The Knicks realize some top free agents likely will stay put or be out of their financial range. Memphis' Marc Gasol and Dallas' Tyson Chandler are expected to re-sign, and the Clippers probably will match an offer to the young DeAndre Jordan.
That's where Dalembert comes in. According to a source, Dalembert likely would choose the Knicks if their offer is comparable with any others.
Dalembert has strong New York-area ties. He played his senior year in high school at St. Patrick's in Elizabeth, N.J., before heading to Seton Hall. An avid fundraiser for Haiti's economic plight, he also likes the visibility of being a voice for New York's large Haitian population.

KBlack25

Starter
I'd rather keep cap flexibility...

I don't think anyone seriously believes adding Dalembert makes us any more of a title contender.

KingCharles34

All Star
I agree with Kblack, just sign Reggie Evans aka the ZBO stopper (thats the one guy that used to consistently slow down ZBO when we played Philly). I'd love to have Chandler back here too but I dont think that move would make much sense either.

KBlack25

Starter
We'd still have cap flexibility. Just not the kind to sign a max FA.

All depends on how much we sign him for, no?

I mean we might have some cap flexibility but if we get him at too high a price the amount of flexibility we have would be inconsequential.

KingCharles34

All Star
Donnie might be lookin for players to sign to include in a package for CP3 or Dwight Howard at the February trade deadline next season.

Like I keep sayin....

Billups + Fields + a few others + draft pick(s) = CP3/D12

KBlack25

Starter
Donnie might be lookin for players to sign to include in a package for CP3 or Dwight Howard at the February trade deadline next season.

Like I keep sayin....

Interesting thought - and perhaps not totally out of left field if Dalembert is really that in-demand...

Hmmm...maybe I have to reconsider this one...

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
All depends on how much we sign him for, no?

I mean we might have some cap flexibility but if we get him at too high a price the amount of flexibility we have would be inconsequential.

Dalembert won't make more then like a 3 year/ $12 million deal. He's old.

Blumatic

Rotation player

Like I keep sayin....

That's what I'm thinking. The way I see it. If we're going to end up with CP3, Omeka Okafur will be part of the package. He has a large contract but I dont care about that part as long as we got STAT Melo and CP3.

Is it a pipe dream? STAT and Melo on the Knicks seemed that way 2 years ago.

finestrg

Rotation player
I'd rather keep cap flexibility...

I don't think anyone seriously believes adding Dalembert makes us any more of a title contender.

I tend to agree with both points: (1) I agree totally about preserving cap flexibility (if we wind up getting CP3 it'll probably be by trade when push comes to shove, but what if we had a real chance to juist sign him in FA when the time comes? Why ruin that chance? We already know right now that Paul will be in a different situation than Melo was in---In all probability he'll have a lot less to lose than Melo had PLUS we already pretty much know he wants to come play here and team up with Amar'e & Melo. Who's to say he wouldn't sacrifice a 6th yr in order to sign a 5-yr deal with the Knicks and two of his closest friends???) and (2) while Sammy's a decent player, I don't think he's that much of a game changer for us to be honest. We already have 7'1" Jerome Jordan coming in in all likelihood--say we also added 6'10" 260 lb. Jordan Williams in the draft at 17----that might be enough as far as fortifying the front two big spots goes..Why the need for Dalembert on top of those two? And at substantial money no less?? Nah, count me out...The guy provides some rebounding and some shot-blocking but we can get those two elements with other players for far less while keeping our eye on the big fish the following yr...To me this guy's a slightly better version of Ronny Turiaf. A better rebounder, ever-so slightly better offensive player, equal shot-blocking presence. That's how I see it...Forget this guy, fortify the frontline going the cost effective route (remember cost effective does not necessarily mean adding bad players--I'll always argue the contrary) and preserve max cap room for the following year. The parameters of the new CBA will dictate a lot as far as how we can proceed but just going on right now, this moment, if the new CBA doesn't change all that much, signing a middle-of-the-road vet like Dalembert could prove to be a costly mistake.. I wouldn't want to find out the hard way that we made a mistake when the time came. Adding Dalembert does not equal a championship level team in my book..The summer of 2012 is when I'd look to spend all my FA money and make a splash, not before.

Last edited:

iJoe

Rotation player
In a fair market yes; but in today's NBA where GMs are readily willing to overspend on centers, I'm not sure.

Agreed. This really depends on whether Dalembert shows he really wants NY.

Overpaying for anyone at this point is a bad move. We really really need a PG to replace Billups for the future as well.

Getting Dalembert at a bargain is a no brainer since we can always use a great contract for trade bait.

I'll rather take my chances drafting a center. If we keep the coach...he is not going to use him as a scoring threat anyway.

We can coach up any young tall dude to clog lanes and rebound. None of these upcoming FA centers is worth it...not when we need more important spots filled immediately.

KingCharles34

All Star
I tend to agree with both points: (1) I agree totally about preserving cap flexibility (if we wind up getting CP3 it'll probably be by trade when push comes to shove, but what if we had a real chance to juist sign him in FA when the time comes? Why ruin that chance? We already know right now that Paul will be in a different situation than Melo was in---In all probability he'll have a lot less to lose than Melo had PLUS we already pretty much know he wants to come play here and team up with Amar'e & Melo. Who's to say he wouldn't sacrifice a 6th yr in order to sign a 5-yr deal with the Knicks and two of his closest friends???) and (2) while Sammy's a decent player, I don't think he's that much of a game changer for us to be honest. We already have 7'1" Jerome Jordan coming in in all likelihood--say we also added 6'10" 260 lb. Jordan Williams in the draft at 17----that might be enough as far as fortifying the front two big spots goes..Why the need for Dalembert on top of those two? And at substantial money no less?? Nah, count me out...The guy provides some rebounding and some shot-blocking but we can get those two elements with other players for far less while keeping our eye on the big fish the following yr...To me this guy's a slightly better version of Ronny Turiaf. A better rebounder, ever-so slightly better offensive player, equal shot-blocking presence. That's how I see it...Forget this guy, fortify the frontline going the cost effective route (remember cost effective does not necessarily mean adding bad players--I'll always argue the contrary) and preserve max cap room for the following year. The parameters of the new CBA will dictate a lot as far as how we can proceed but just going on right now, this moment, if the new CBA doesn't change all that much, signing a middle-of-the-road vet like Dalembert could prove to be a costly mistake.. I wouldn't want to find out the hard way that we made a mistake when the time came. Adding Dalembert does not equal a championship level team in my book..The summer of 2012 is when I'd look to spend all my FA money and make a splash, not before.

We've seen alotta teams trade their free agents before they become free agents so that they dont lose their players for nothing like Cleveland did with Lebron. After that we saw Carmelo, D-Will, and Perkins all get traded at the the deadline. I expect all teams to follow that blueprint so they dont end up like the Cavs. The bottom line is in February the Knicks need to be in position to make the deal for CP3

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I want Dalembert. I don't why people have a mindset that we can get any 7ft.+ center that looks decent and that's all we'd need. Dalambert is proven and I see no reason why we shouldn't go after him.

If the price is right maybe^^, but he has some mileage on those knees and I think a young draft pick will come real cheap and promisng...for what we need him to do...

I want Dalembert. I don't why people have a mindset that we can get any 7ft.+ center that looks decent and that's all we'd need. Dalambert is proven and I see no reason why we shouldn't go after him.

Agreed!! I saw the likes of kwame brown and johan petro dominate the knicks this season on the boards!! Dalambert is an excellent shot blocker and a solid rebounder! I agree with what Melo said when he said that this team doesn't need a 3rd superstar! We need solid big guys to play next to Amare and I would personally look towards upgrading the 2 guard spot because I believe Landry is better suited as a solid bench player with Tony douglas and shawne Williams! That would be 3 solid guys off the bench and also a cheap backup center! There is no guaruntee that with this new cap that it will be possible to pay 3 stars.. So we should be focusing on building a solid team around our two superstars, and building chemistry! Because that's the biggest issue that we'll have against Mia,Chi,Bos, even Atl, these teams have chemistry! We should be focused on building around Melo and Stat, anything else is a bonus!

:agreed: I don't get all these ppl that don't want Dalembert.

I don't think its don't want him as much as what we might give up to get him?

Biggest issue is will there be an MLE? If not this talk is over, we are no in any shape to get anyone unless we are talking Vet min.

Now if we do have MLE this season and he wants a one yr deal, fine.

But Miami will offer a multi yr deal and be even more dangerous.

So will Dalembert want to help the Knicks and win a championship signing a one yr deal, then after we get say a CP3 sign a two yr deal?

If he won't and its all about the money which he's entitled for sure, then there are other players who will sign a one yr deal that can contribute his 8 pts and career 8 boards a game.

Kurt, Forster, Krisitc, Hayes, and how about spending the MLE on a guy like Humphries?