Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: Walsh to persue Dalembert this offseason

  1. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    If the price is right maybe^^, but he has some mileage on those knees and I think a young draft pick will come real cheap and promisng...for what we need him to do...

  2. #17
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    I want Dalembert. I don't why people have a mindset that we can get any 7ft.+ center that looks decent and that's all we'd need. Dalambert is proven and I see no reason why we shouldn't go after him.
    Agreed!! I saw the likes of kwame brown and johan petro dominate the knicks this season on the boards!! Dalambert is an excellent shot blocker and a solid rebounder! I agree with what Melo said when he said that this team doesn't need a 3rd superstar! We need solid big guys to play next to Amare and I would personally look towards upgrading the 2 guard spot because I believe Landry is better suited as a solid bench player with Tony douglas and shawne Williams! That would be 3 solid guys off the bench and also a cheap backup center! There is no guaruntee that with this new cap that it will be possible to pay 3 stars.. So we should be focusing on building a solid team around our two superstars, and building chemistry! Because that's the biggest issue that we'll have against Mia,Chi,Bos, even Atl, these teams have chemistry! We should be focused on building around Melo and Stat, anything else is a bonus!

  3. #18
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    I want Dalembert. I don't why people have a mindset that we can get any 7ft.+ center that looks decent and that's all we'd need. Dalambert is proven and I see no reason why we shouldn't go after him.
    I don't get all these ppl that don't want Dalembert.

  4. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    I don't get all these ppl that don't want Dalembert.

    I don't think its don't want him as much as what we might give up to get him?

    Biggest issue is will there be an MLE? If not this talk is over, we are no in any shape to get anyone unless we are talking Vet min.

    Now if we do have MLE this season and he wants a one yr deal, fine.

    But Miami will offer a multi yr deal and be even more dangerous.

    So will Dalembert want to help the Knicks and win a championship signing a one yr deal, then after we get say a CP3 sign a two yr deal?

    If he won't and its all about the money which he's entitled for sure, then there are other players who will sign a one yr deal that can contribute his 8 pts and career 8 boards a game.

    Kurt, Forster, Krisitc, Hayes, and how about spending the MLE on a guy like Humphries?

  5. #20
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Double post!

  6. #21
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    Donnie might be lookin for players to sign to include in a package for CP3 or Dwight Howard at the February trade deadline next season.

    Like I keep sayin....

    Billups + Fields + a few others + draft pick(s) = CP3/D12
    If the Knicks give up their max cap flexibility in 2012, it means CP3 has no real way to force his way to NY because he doesn't have the most important card he would have to play, which is the threat of leaving for NY via free agency for nothing in 2012. This means whatever decision the Knicks make this summer, if they give up that flexibility in 2012 they have to do so with the knowledge that it could very well cost them any chance at CP3/Deron/Dwight Howard in 2012. Is Sam Dalembert a player that's worth taking that risk? Not to me he isn't, but I'm not sure what Donnie's thought process is at this point after he got STAT & Melo in the fold he might not want to waste another season treading water while he waits to hopefully land another big fish in free agency. So far that strategy has yielded a mixed bag for this franchise (success = STAT / failure = Lebron).

    Btw, the Knicks have no picks left to trade away they already gave up their 2014 pick to DEN in the Melo deal & their 2012 pick goes to HOU as part of the T-Mac trade from last year. They can't trade their 2013 pick because the cap rules don't allow for a team to deal draft picks from consecutive years. If the Hornets are no longer pressured to deal CP3 to NY as an only option, then you can bet it will cost a pretty penny to land him in any trade in terms of assets, something the Knicks aren't running that deep with at the current moment.

  7. #22
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,674
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by STAT1
    If the Knicks give up their max cap flexibility in 2012, it means CP3 has no real way to force his way to NY because he doesn't have the most important card he would have to play, which is the threat of leaving for NY via free agency for nothing in 2012. This means whatever decision the Knicks make this summer, if they give up that flexibility in 2012 they have to do so with the knowledge that it could very well cost them any chance at CP3/Deron/Dwight Howard in 2012. Is Sam Dalembert a player that's worth taking that risk? Not to me he isn't, but I'm not sure what Donnie's thought process is at this point after he got STAT & Melo in the fold he might not want to waste another season treading water while he waits to hopefully land another big fish in free agency. So far that strategy has yielded a mixed bag for this franchise (success = STAT / failure = Lebron).

    Btw, the Knicks have no picks left to trade away they already gave up their 2014 pick to DEN in the Melo deal & their 2012 pick goes to HOU as part of the T-Mac trade from last year. They can't trade their 2013 pick because the cap rules don't allow for a team to deal draft picks from consecutive years. If the Hornets are no longer pressured to deal CP3 to NY as an only option, then you can bet it will cost a pretty penny to land him in any trade in terms of assets, something the Knicks aren't running that deep with at the current moment.

    what is the rule of allowing the Knicks to buy picks from other teams....
    Is it unlimited ?
    anyone know ?

  8. #23
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by skisloper
    what is the rule of allowing the Knicks to buy picks from other teams....
    Is it unlimited ?
    anyone know ?
    I think it's unlimited...meaning if a team wants to sell it's pick, you can buy the pick. Not sure if there are any value restrictions on the picks (I know the Knicks paid $3M to the Lakers for the 29th pick and took Douglas a few years back.)

    Our best bet is to buy a draft pick from a team that has worries about resigning players and don't want the cap hold of a first rounder on the books. Who that team would be, would it be a pick worth buying, and does that team even exist are the questions.

  9. #24
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    I think it's unlimited...meaning if a team wants to sell it's pick, you can buy the pick. Not sure if there are any value restrictions on the picks (I know the Knicks paid $3M to the Lakers for the 29th pick and took Douglas a few years back.)

    Our best bet is to buy a draft pick from a team that has worries about resigning players and don't want the cap hold of a first rounder on the books. Who that team would be, would it be a pick worth buying, and does that team even exist are the questions.
    The most money you can include in any NBA transaction is $3M under the current cap rules I believe. Regardless, most picks that are purchased are late round picks, hardly something that would really tip the scales of negotiation in the Knicks' favor. The best bet for the Knicks if they want any shot at CP3 is to preserve their cap flexibility in 2012 & just target a 1 year stopgap solution at the C position along with Jerome Jordan IMO. That's really the only way the Knicks can preserve their bargaining strength. Without that cap flexibility, they really have no cards to play in any negotations for CP3 in any deals. Perhaps you can swing something while taking back one of the Hornets' longterm contracts they are looking to unload, such as Emeka Okafor, or maybe Trevor Ariza.

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    330
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Dalembert makes sense

    Dalembert is the MLE option rather than paying big bucks for DeAndre Jordan, Caman, or Gasol.

    If we end up doing a sign and trade for CP3 and Okafor, then you want to give back Dalembert and Billups as part of the package.

    This makes the most sense if you draft Noguiera (or possibly Faried) because he is a project center with upside, and Dalembert is just a stop-gap until Noguiera is ready.

    If you draft Jimmer Fredette or Reggie Jackson, then you probably want a better and younger center, if only because you don't want to have to give up too much more than the center and Billups in the trade for CP3 and Okafor. With Dalembert as the center, you probably have to throw in other significant role players.

  11. #26
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    You people do realize Okafor is on a 72 million dollar contract right?

  12. #27
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    You people do realize Okafor is on a 72 million dollar contract right?
    Yeah, we don't have the contracts or space to trade/absorb Okafor. I think the talk of going after someone with the MLE is because Donnie realizes he doesn't have the space or assets to get another max player.

    And we need to get somebody. Sacrificing another year in the hopes that CP3 or Howard would take $11-13 mil a year, or their respective teams won't trade them first is not a reasonable option.

    Lets get the solid role players we need to compete, if we can. If the MLE is eliminated we are totally screwed.

  13. #28
    BALL DON'T LIE MeloforMayor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    1,767
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I think we should trade douglas and turiaf for mayo if we get dalembert.

    I'm new to this forum guys. wassup

  14. #29
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Yeah, we don't have the contracts or space to trade/absorb Okafor. I think the talk of going after someone with the MLE is because Donnie realizes he doesn't have the space or assets to get another max player.

    And we need to get somebody. Sacrificing another year in the hopes that CP3 or Howard would take $11-13 mil a year, or their respective teams won't trade them first is not a reasonable option.

    Lets get the solid role players we need to compete, if we can. If the MLE is eliminated we are totally screwed.
    Edit*
    Lets not do anything to crazy this offseason, lets just see how the CBA shakes out, and then just bring back Jerome Jordan.
    Last edited by AmareForPresident; May 07, 2011 at 06:28.

  15. #30
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by nixon7
    Dalembert is the MLE option rather than paying big bucks for DeAndre Jordan, Caman, or Gasol.

    If we end up doing a sign and trade for CP3 and Okafor, then you want to give back Dalembert and Billups as part of the package.

    This makes the most sense if you draft Noguiera (or possibly Faried) because he is a project center with upside, and Dalembert is just a stop-gap until Noguiera is ready.

    If you draft Jimmer Fredette or Reggie Jackson, then you probably want a better and younger center, if only because you don't want to have to give up too much more than the center and Billups in the trade for CP3 and Okafor. With Dalembert as the center, you probably have to throw in other significant role players.
    What really concerns me about Dalembert is his extremely low basketball IQ and from what i hear from Philly fans is that he acted like a huge diva when he was there. I think there will be too many egos if we sign him. Plus we will basically throw away our chance at CP3 if we sign him a long term deal. If he is willing to sign a 1yr then i wouldn't mind signing him, but i highly doubt he would do that. The only guy i wouldn't mind giving up on CP3 is Deandre Jordan but he is a restricted free agent and the Clippers will make resigning him a top priority. The smartest thing to do this offseason would be to bring back Jerome Jordan and sign some vets like Grant Hill, Przybilla, Nazr Mohammed, Foster.
    Last edited by AmareForPresident; May 07, 2011 at 06:39.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Feb 03, 2011, 19:35
  2. Walsh Interested in Boozer
    By LJ4ptplay in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jul 15, 2009, 08:17
  3. Walsh Transcript
    By Crazy⑧s in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun 23, 2009, 14:20
  4. Replies: 219
    Last Post: Apr 15, 2009, 06:35
  5. Walsh puts drafting Mayo a top priority
    By lanceroy in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun 25, 2008, 11:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •