Melo: Knicks got Bulls-eye on their Backs

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
Carmelo says 'bull's-eye' on Knicks

This is why Carmelo Anthony wanted to come to the Knicks. It isn't only about bringing an NBA title home. It's about this city, his city.
Anthony was as cool as the spring night last night as he sat in Suite 4 at Yankee Stadium dressed in designer shades and a multi-color sweater. And he was surrounded by big-money employees of broker-dealer WJB Capital Group.
You don't get this in Denver.
"The excitement is back," Anthony told The Post. "We were in the playoffs, the Rangers were in the playoffs, now we got the Yankees. New York is the place, year round, and we're going to be part of it."

How big a part?
Anthony wasn't about to declare the Knicks the favorite to win next year's NBA Finals. But he believes the team's playoff push and a gutty first-round effort in which a hobbled team pushed the Celtics has set the stage for next season.
"There's a bull's-eye on us and it's getting bigger," he said. "When you have a team with me, Amar'e [Stoudemire] and Chauncey Billups, that's already a bull's-eye, but now we're going to have a year under us."
Anthony said he understands that Knicks fans might have been frustrated the team didn't achieve greatness after acquiring him in a February blockbuster trade with the Nuggets. After nine seasons in the NBA, he's learned the importance of continuity and commitment.
"A lot of people thought, 'They got Melo, they're to win it,' " he said. "It doesn't work that way. You have to have a commitment from everyone to win. We have that now. We're all committed to putting in the work to bring a title to New York."
Anthony didn't talk about the possibility of the Knicks adding additional free-agent stars such as guard Chris Paul or center Dwight Howard. He has seen Stoudemire try to play through agonizing back spasms in the playoffs and watched Billups knock down countless big shots.
He doesn't care if fans think of the Knicks as his team or Stoudemire's team. The Brooklyn native, who led Syracuse to the 2003 NCAA title, has one goal:
Win it all.
"Knicks fans have no idea yet what they have in him," said Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, who was at the stadium for a Coaches vs Cancer event. "The only thing that matters to Carmelo is winning. It's all he's about. He's a very, very special player."
And he's in a very, very special place.
As Anthony was readying to leave the stadium, Yankees employees who are accustomed to seeing superstars such as Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez on a nightly basis, politely gathered on the suite-level floor to catch a glimpse of the Knicks' newest superstar.
He is comfortable in this setting, smiling to all, nodding to well wishers with his personable son Kiyan by his side.
"New York always has a bull's-eye on it," said Anthony. "This is where you want to succeed. It's why Amar'e came here. The bull's-eye is going to be bigger next season and we'll be ready for it."

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I like everything Melo said. Got me a little pumped.. Nice post KPH.

The only thing that kinda didn't make sense was when the writer said we "pushed" the Celtics. Lil' bit of a stretch there but whatevs..

Melo is our boy!

The straightest Knick since John Starks!

So proud to have him. STAT is a great man, but Melo is wearing that NYC swag on his sleeve :smokin:

I still think Miami is too big for us in the next couple of years. We might end up beeing the second best team in the world for the next 3-4 years....90s all over again :cool:

Melo is our boy!

The straightest Knick since John Starks!

So proud to have him. STAT is a great man, but Melo is wearing that NYC swag on his sleeve :smokin:

I still think Miami is too big for us in the next couple of years. We might end up beeing the second best team in the world for the next 3-4 years....90s all over again :cool:
No! Dallas will beat Miami in the Finals and with CP3 we will have a better big 3. :thumbsup:

Red

TYPE-A
No! Dallas will beat Miami in the Finals and with CP3 we will have a better big 3. :thumbsup:

I respect you but...

How can I respect a fan who is willing to AGAIN fantasize on a specific free-agent to be, and prioritize him (a PG) over a quality big?

After all we as fans been through... considering who we already have... witnessing the Jetison of every quality to semi-quality big we've had since (and including) Patrick Ewing...

And you want to sell me on another year of "Just wait til'" and that "til'" equals some one other than a big...

WOW. D'Antoni must be growing on some of you. I have no words.

Yeah anyone would want a prime healthy CP3- but NOT before filling NEEDED holes. That makes absolutely no sense.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I respect you but...

How can I respect a fan who is willing to AGAIN fantasize on a specific free-agent to be, and prioritize him (a PG) over a quality big?

After all we as fans been through... considering who we already have... witnessing the Jetison of every quality to semi-quality big we've had since (and including) Patrick Ewing...

And you want to sell me on another year of "Just wait til'" and that "til'" equals some one other than a big...

WOW. D'Antoni must be growing on some of you. I have no words.

Yeah anyone would want a prime healthy CP3- but NOT before filling NEEDED holes. That makes absolutely no sense.
As I said before, I'm more for a good center and a good passing PG that wouldn't cost nearly as much.

Bothers me to see people declare Chris Paul already to be on the Knicks. Bothers me even more that people think the Hornets are gonna trade him for Billups and Fields? You kidding me?

Hayato

Benchwarmer
melo and amare have to coexist on the court before we can go ANYWHERE. im not one of the blind believers that an offseason together will magically make them click

melo and amare have to coexist on the court before we can go ANYWHERE. im not one of the blind believers that an offseason together will magically make them click

That's why a lot of people here want Chris Paul as our playmaker!

It's all about the distribution and the plays run by the PG.

Steve Nash managed to feed STAT, Joe Johnson, Q-Rich, Marion and Tim Thomas all at the same time in Phoenix and on top of that created enough offense for himself to score 20 ppg.

Billups is old and has never been an elite playmaker. Elite PG yes, back in 03-04, elite playmaker - never. The Pistons were successful because of their defense.

You can add any big in the word, without an elite PG we're not going to win a championship. Can Marc Gasol play distributor? Can DeAndre Jordan? Can Dwight Howard? No, they all need some good passing and some good plays run for them. CP3 or even Deron Williams can do that.

petescud

Starter
Melo is the man...love the effort he put up in the playoffs....too bad Amar'e and Billups were hurt...we would had given Boston all they could handle...i think it would had gone 7 games, especially if Dantoni was a better coach. Those first 2 games were all ours

Hayato

Benchwarmer
That's why a lot of people here want Chris Paul as our playmaker!

It's all about the distribution and the plays run by the PG.

Steve Nash managed to feed STAT, Joe Johnson, Q-Rich, Marion and Tim Thomas all at the same time in Phoenix and on top of that created enough offense for himself to score 20 ppg.

Billups is old and has never been an elite playmaker. Elite PG yes, back in 03-04, elite playmaker - never. The Pistons were successful because of their defense.

You can add any big in the word, without an elite PG we're not going to win a championship. Can Marc Gasol play distributor? Can DeAndre Jordan? Can Dwight Howard? No, they all need some good passing and some good plays run for them. CP3 or even Deron Williams can do that.

still..melo and amare didnt look good together

LJ4ptplay

Starter
"The only thing that matters to Carmelo is winning. It's all he's about."

Got to call bullsh*t on this one. If he was about winning he would have signed with us in two months. We would have been championship contenders next year. Now? Who knows how long it may take with the new CBA and lack of draft picks, flexibility, depth, bench and assets.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
Got to call bullsh*t on this one. If he was about winning he would have signed with us in two months. We would have been championship contenders next year. Now? Who knows how long it may take with the new CBA and lack of draft picks, flexibility, depth, bench and assets.

he woulda suffered with the new cba if he cae after the season

LJ4ptplay

Starter
he woulda suffered with the new cba if he cae after the season

Exactly, he was about the money, not winning.

Suffered?!? There are many free agents this summer. None of them demanded to be traded and many of them stand to lose a far greater percentage of their salary than Melo. The superstars are still going to get paid massive amounts of money with the new CBA. It's the mid-level players that are going to get hurt the most. Yet none of them are complaining.

Plus, Melo has made over $100 mil in his career thus far. Instead of $65 mil, he probably would have gotten $45-50 mil. So instead of $165 mil, he gets $150 mil.

People feeling sorry for Melo are just Knick fans trying to sugar coat the reality of Melo's greed. Say what you want about Melo's skills, but the truth is he was just about getting what he wanted. Winning was obviously secondary. There is really no debate here.

Blumatic

Rotation player
As I said before, I'm more for a good center and a good passing PG that wouldn't cost nearly as much.

Bothers me to see people declare Chris Paul already to be on the Knicks. Bothers me even more that people think the Hornets are gonna trade him for Billups and Fields? You kidding me?

CP3 had the Knicks on his list when we wanted a trade. All this stems from the trade more than the toast. The more Miami wins the more it looks like the only way to beat them is to get CP3. Talent coupled with great team play always wins

Cuz check this out this is year 1 for Miami and they are way ahead of us. They are looking for a big and they are looking for a point guard as well. You think Miami is just gonna sit still knowing everyone is gonna load up for them. What if we tell CP3 no thanks and Chauncey leaves us and signs with Miami.

Why the hell would the Knicks not find a way to get CP3 here along with a quality big. This is why you pay the execs the big bucks. They have to find a way. Create a plan, get a 3rd or 4th or 5th team involved, work the back channels to get CP3 on the same page as you. You got Melo here so you got easy access to the CAA. We may have to take a bad contract like Okafur but hey we needed a center anyway and we all know we've seen worst.

Suffered?!? There are many free agents this summer. None of them demanded to be traded and many of them stand to lose a far greater percentage of their salary than Melo. The superstars are still going to get paid massive amounts of money with the new CBA. It's the mid-level players that are going to get hurt the most. Yet none of them are complaining.

Plus, Melo has made over $100 mil in his career thus far. Instead of $65 mil, he probably would have gotten $45-50 mil. So instead of $165 mil, he gets $150 mil.

People feeling sorry for Melo are just Knick fans trying to sugar coat the reality of Melo's greed. Say what you want about Melo's skills, but the truth is he was just about getting what he wanted. Winning was obviously secondary. There is
really no debate here.

Lol im guessing if it was you you would of gave up millions too right ?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Lol im guessing if it was you you would of gave up millions too right ?

Yes, I would have. (It's "would've" as in "would have", not "would of")

If I had made over $100 mil, and really wanted to win a championship, I would have sacrificed and taken $45 mil instead of $60 mil to win. Anybody that is "about winning" would have done the same.

SMH. People make it seem like Melo would have been in the poor house had he waited. The money lost could have easilty been made up in endorsements. Which he's doing now. He got his money + he got his endorsements. He chose money over winning. There is no debate here. Keep telling yourself Melo did the right thing if it helps you. You'll see, someday.

Hayato

Benchwarmer

People feeling sorry for Melo are just Knick fans trying to sugar coat the reality of Melo's greed. Say what you want about Melo's skills, but the truth is he was just about getting what he wanted. Winning was obviously secondary. There is really no debate here.

wouldnt u think he'd shut up after he got what he wanted? he continually says how sacred ny is to him

nuckles2k2

Superstar
That goes for Melo, and pretty much every other player in the history of the NBA I guess. And don't mention the "big two and a half" in Miami, because when there's no state tax and if you're bringing home the same amount of money that you would be in most other areas because of the combo of state and federal tax...well you didn't give anything up. $13M is $13M, whether that's after state & federal, or just federal.

So if by not opting to lose overall value on the extension for a player with 7+ years, makes Melo greedy, then you have to assume that every single player that's ever taken a max extension with Bird Rights and years of service coming into account, are greedy as well.

Plus you also have to assume that there's no pressure from the players union for players to make as much as they possibly can to keep the market at a certain point (the MPLPA is accused of doing this year after year with big name players.)

Sure, Melo could have said "I'll go as an FA and save them some money to use" because that's how superstar NBA players think, that's how their agents think, that's the sort of advice the union gives to the players....totally reasonable on your part to expect that....

Plus whether Curry's $11M comes off the books, or is converted into another contract that comes off the books...I don't see what Melo did wrong. He's making $2M more than LBJ or Wade this coming season and the 2012 season, one more in 2013, and 3 more in 2014. They're all bringing home about the same amount after taxes.

Who's he preventing us from getting by making $18M next year as opposed to $16? And if the salary cap comes down a little bit and the overall value of contracts are knocked back a bit....you do realize that it would be the same scenario, just with different figures. The top percentile of the NBA will always make more than everyone else, and they'll always be a larger chunk of your team payroll. Whether he waits to make less with a lower salary cap, or get what he feels he's worth and what the CBA says he's worth now, it's the same situation.

I don't know where you're getting $45M from, but there's no way in hell he takes a contract worth just that. His 3 year extension is: 2012 @ $19.4M, 2013 @ $21.4M, and 2014 @ $23.5M (player option.) But people keep forgetting that the extension kills his player option in 2011 and he's making $18.5M that season....dude's extension is really worth like $86M, and if you add the $17.1 he made this season...that's $103M.....how in the WORLD do you see him taking less than half of that, or the NBA-PA EVER allowing the new CBA to cut $86M in half? They would hand KG and Delonte M16s and send them to the league offices before they allow some shit like that.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to an opinion...but $45M as an FA? For a dude who's been in the league for 7+ years? Never, not even in the new CBA. There will be blood before anything like that happens.