Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Nixon7's Roadmap

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    333
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Nixon7's Roadmap

    Forget pursuing Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan (as much as I like them) for too much money.

    I would concentrate on trading a player for a late first round draft pick. Everyone is expendable in this regard except Stat, Melo, Billups, and Fields.

    Then I would pick Kenneth Faried at #17 and Lucas Noguiera at #20-something.

    Then I would sign Dalembert for the MLE, preferably only a one or two year deal. I would bring Jerome Jordan back from Europe and now you have four bigs with rebounding, shot blocking, and defensive ability (one veteran, three young projects). For very little money.

    Sign a veteran point guard who is a distributor and defender, but not a scorer, for the veteran's minimum. Maybe Shawn Williams and Anthony Carter also at veteran's minimum, or the equivalent role players out there.

    Then trade Billups and Dalembert (before, at, or after the trade deadline next Spring) for Chris Paul and Okafor. You probably need to add a solid role player or two (possibly including one of the young bigs) into the deal, but I do not care who at that point.

    You end up with:

    C E Okafor
    PF A Stoudamire
    SF C Anthony
    SG L Fields
    PG C Paul

    as your starting five, with some young defensive bigs and veteran backcourt backups.

    Does ANYONE have a problem with that?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,013
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Okafor is making 72 million.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    333
    Rep Power
    9

    Default So what?

    > Okafor is making 72 million

    So what? I am not jumping for joy at taking Okafor. I prefer Noguiera in the long-run, and Dalembert in the short-run.

    However, we are not getting Chris Paul for nothing, so I expect we need to take Okafor back. If we can swing Okafor going to some other team in a three-way, I would not be crying. However, we would need two of Jordan, Faried, or Noguiera to develop more quickly than I expect, or pick up another veteran big if Okafor goes somewhere else.

    Of course, maybe you are saying that we would have problems making the deal work because Billups and Dalembert would be making too little money coming back.

    That is difficult to figure out now (until the new CBA), but I assumed there would be Knick throw-ins of some good role players with mid-level contracts. I am also assuming that the new CBA would have to have some major trade exceptions, to deal with all the grandfathered contracts on the old wage scale.

  4. #4
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by nixon7
    Forget pursuing Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan (as much as I like them) for too much money.

    I would concentrate on trading a player for a late first round draft pick. Everyone is expendable in this regard except Stat, Melo, Billups, and Fields.

    Then I would pick Kenneth Faried at #17 and Lucas Noguiera at #20-something.

    Then I would sign Dalembert for the MLE, preferably only a one or two year deal. I would bring Jerome Jordan back from Europe and now you have four bigs with rebounding, shot blocking, and defensive ability (one veteran, three young projects). For very little money.

    Sign a veteran point guard who is a distributor and defender, but not a scorer, for the veteran's minimum. Maybe Shawn Williams and Anthony Carter also at veteran's minimum, or the equivalent role players out there.

    Then trade Billups and Dalembert (before, at, or after the trade deadline next Spring) for Chris Paul and Okafor. You probably need to add a solid role player or two (possibly including one of the young bigs) into the deal, but I do not care who at that point.

    You end up with:

    C E Okafor
    PF A Stoudamire
    SF C Anthony
    SG L Fields
    PG C Paul

    as your starting five, with some young defensive bigs and veteran backcourt backups.

    Does ANYONE have a problem with that?
    I don't.

    Nobody in their right mind should..

    That core combined w Fields presumed growth and some quality young bigs will be a joy to watch and nightmare for opposing teams to face.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,013
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Originally Posted by nixon7
    > Okafor is making 72 million

    So what? I am not jumping for joy at taking Okafor. I prefer Noguiera in the long-run, and Dalembert in the short-run.

    However, we are not getting Chris Paul for nothing, so I expect we need to take Okafor back. If we can swing Okafor going to some other team in a three-way, I would not be crying. However, we would need two of Jordan, Faried, or Noguiera to develop more quickly than I expect, or pick up another veteran big if Okafor goes somewhere else.

    Of course, maybe you are saying that we would have problems making the deal work because Billups and Dalembert would be making too little money coming back.

    That is difficult to figure out now (until the new CBA), but I assumed there would be Knick throw-ins of some good role players with mid-level contracts. I am also assuming that the new CBA would have to have some major trade exceptions, to deal with all the grandfathered contracts on the old wage scale.
    We wouldn't be able to afford Okafor with three max contracts. If that was the case we'd probably still have Lee.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    333
    Rep Power
    9

    Default On second thought

    Or maybe you are saying that we should take Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan at any price because we will end up trading them for Okafor and so we need a larger contract and a more attractive player.

    There is some logic to that scenario, but some major risks as well; should the Chris Paul / Emeka Okafor deal fail for some other reason.

    If you plan to get a more expensive big then you would presumably draft a guard this year. I would be willing to do that if I had a lottery pick, or as the #20-something pick if we trade for a second pick this year. But I would not want to walk away from this draft without at least one of Faried or Noguiera; and not a top point guard prospect either.

    Dalembert is probably going to be making 3-5 million as well as Turiaf at 4 million. That seems like enough base salary to swing a deal with the Hornets for CP3 and Okafor.
    Last edited by nixon7; May 13, 2011 at 14:32. Reason: clarficiation

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    333
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Hard cap not on the table

    You seem to be implying a hard cap. If the new CBA has a hard cap, they would have to break up the Heat and Lakers. Not going to happen.

    Under a soft cap, we can have three max contracts and Okafor, so long as we stay within the differential on the trade numbers. Chris Paul and Billups have close to identical contracts. At the trade deadline that is all that matters. In the summer of 2012, they could continue to match on the mutual sign-and-trades, whatever the new (reduced) max contract is, but that might not even be necessary if Chris Paul does not opt out. He only needs to threaten to opt out to force a trade. He might decide to play for the Knicks for a year under the old contract, and then be Larry Bird'ed to whatever in 2013 (if there is a Larry Bird under the new CBA).

    So you just have to deal with Okafor's 11 million. Dalembert plus Turiaf are 8-9 million. So you just have to throw in Douglas or Balkman or some other 1.x million dollar deal, and maybe a second veteran contract at most to match Okafor.

    Put another way, under the old CBA, we could have gotten a big three and then acquired Lee as part of the trade for the big three. However, we could not sign Lee and then acquire a big three. If this sounds crazy it is. But that is the old CBA, not me.

    Or put another way, you are saying that you cannot have a big four. But look at the Celtics roster to see that this is possible to do (granted that two of their big four only make 9-11 million). Or look at the Lakers roster and all those large (eight over 3 million, six over 5 million, including one at 24 million) contracts.
    Last edited by nixon7; May 13, 2011 at 14:22. Reason: Afterthought

  8. #8
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,013
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Originally Posted by nixon7
    You seem to be implying a hard cap. If the new CBA has a hard cap, they would have to break up the Heat and Lakers. Not going to happen.

    Under a soft cap, we can have three max contracts and Okafor, so long as we stay within the differential on the trade numbers. Chris Paul and Billups have close to identical contracts. At the trade deadline that is all that matters. In the summer of 2012, they could continue to match on the mutual sign-and-trades, whatever the new (reduced) max contract is, but that might not even be necessary if Chris Paul does not opt out. He only needs to threaten to opt out to force a trade. He might decide to play for the Knicks for a year under the old contract, and then be Larry Bird'ed to whatever in 2013 (if there is a Larry Bird under the new CBA).

    So you just have to deal with Okafor's 11 million. Dalembert plus Turiaf are 8-9 million. So you just have to throw in Douglas or Balkman or some other 1.x million dollar deal, and maybe a second veteran contract at most to match Okafor.

    Put another way, under the old CBA, we could have gotten a big three and then acquired Lee as part of the trade for the big three. However, we could not sign Lee and then acquire a big three. If this sounds crazy it is. But that is the old CBA, not me.

    Or put another way, you are saying that you cannot have a big four. But look at the Celtics roster to see that this is possible to do (granted that two of their big four only make 9-11 million). Or look at the Lakers roster and all those large (eight over 3 million, six over 5 million, including one at 24 million) contracts.
    Man now I'm lost lol.

    You might be right though, I was thinking about how the heck they have that team.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    333
    Rep Power
    9

    Default To RunningJumper

    The old CBA cap is confusing as heck, and I am not an expert, so I could be wrong. But the Lakers and Celtics were somehow constructed.

    No one knows what the new CBA will do, and it would be a crime, but possible, that they would grandfather the Lakers and Celtics and Heat; and make it so no other team could be similarly constructed.

    But why would the other owners agree to that?

    No one in NY will be crying if we get Chris Paul as a free agent, with no trade. Maybe even keep Billups as the PG backup at the veteran's minimum; and don't have to take on Okafor's contract.

    But I am assuming that:

    a) we would like Chris Paul sooner than later, and therefore
    b) are willing to make such a deal work

    The point is that we could get Chris Paul in December 2011 this way.

    If the Hornets want to lose Chris Paul for nothing in return come July 2012 instead, GO AHEAD MAKE OUR DAY.

    Part of the attraction of Dalembert is that he would be willing to sign a one or two year deal. Gasol or DeAndreJ would never sign a short-term deal, and then it might very well be impossible to ever get Chris Paul, or a point guard of the future. I do not see us getting a good enough PG in the draft at #17.

    If we were able to trade into the lottery (unlikely), I would take Enes Kanter anyway. That is why I suggested the opposite, trading to get a second draft pick in the 20s (much more possible).

  10. #10
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Do you really think that another team is not going to present a more significant offer than a salary dump? Lakers could offer value back and I'm sure CP3 would play for LA. I think the Melo deal taught us all that it takes a lot to pry a franchise player away even if they are holding an option over the teams head. There will always be other teams driving up the price.

  11. #11
    Member StarksOverJordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    153
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Heres StarksoverJordan's Plan

    Trade Walker, Douglas, and the rights to a draft pick we buy (20 to 29th) pick to the T-Wolves for Rubio

    Sign Grant Hill, Draft Jimmer with 17th pick, Sign Kristic, Trade Balkman for dog****.

    2011 Team
    C-Kristic
    PF-STAT
    SF-Melo
    SG-Grant
    PG-Billups

    Bench:
    Rubio
    Landry
    Shawne Williams
    Turiaf
    Jerome Jordan
    Jimmer
    Summer League Standout/Rautins/AC

    2012-2013
    Billups ready to take bench role, Phil Jackson accepts head coaching position, Jerome Jordan proves himself ready to be a Center, Knicks sign a legit shooting guard. The End.

  12. #12
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Do you really think that another team is not going to present a more significant offer than a salary dump? Lakers could offer value back and I'm sure CP3 would play for LA. I think the Melo deal taught us all that it takes a lot to pry a franchise player away even if they are holding can option over the teams head. There will always be other teams driving up the price.
    I think the Lakers are going to trade for D12, I don't think CP3 would accept a S&T to any other team. Plus I don't think CP3 even likes Kobe.

  13. #13
    Veteran Sprewell-Houston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Germany/Mount Vernon NY
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I stopped reading at the point where you wanted to trade Billups and Dalembert for Okafor and CP3. You might aswell send them a Cheeseburger in return for their franchise player and starting center lol wake up man!

  14. #14
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    I think the Lakers are going to trade for D12, I don't think CP3 would accept a S&T to any other team. Plus I don't think CP3 even likes Kobe.
    Didn't we all think that about Melo?

    BTW, CP3, D12 and Kobe could happen if they get creative in LA.

  15. #15
    Member StarksOverJordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    153
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    I stopped reading at the point where you wanted to trade Billups and Dalembert for Okafor and CP3. You might aswell send them a Cheeseburger in return for their franchise player and starting center lol wake up man!
    I could go for a Mcdouble or those BK Burger Shots that came out for a little while.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •