Sell me on Rubio

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I don't know if we could get him, but forget that, because none of us do.

Tell me about his style, post videos, stats, whatever.

LeFlume

All Star
He is absolutely useless. Been saying that for a year but people on this site think he is the next Magic.

2010-2011 STATS

PPG: 6.5
RPG: 3.2
APG: 3.5
SPG: 1.6
2P%: 39.2%
3P%: 22.4%
FT%: 83.6%

His Euroleague stats. He won't last long if he ever makes in into the NBA. He's a fooocking C*nt..

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
**** Rubio

"Dude can hit a 3. Enough said. **** everything else." -Mike Dantoni

Lock him down for a multi year deal

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Steals, more assists, and smarts. His assists numbers would probably double only because the rules on what constitutes an assist are more relaxed in the NBA than they are in the Euroleague. He plays the passing lanes well and that's universal...that should translate, and scouts say he's a smart player.

He's not the most athletic dude and he doesn't have a consistent jumper, so his scoring is nothing special. But they also don't have a restricted area and no 3-seconds rule over there, so if you're not really athletic and there's some big dude camped out in the paint....you're not getting any layups. I don't really know what he'd be able to do in the NBA with our rules. He definitely needs a jumpshot tho.

I dunno why people continue to post numbers from the Euroleague and then write people off based on them. In one league an assist is passing the ball to a guy who immediately shoots or jumps for a dunk/layup, in the other league an assist can be a full court lob to a guy who catches it, takes a dribble then his two and a half steps for a layup/dunk. So can you look at a person averaging 3.5-4 assists in the Euroleague and say he would be no good? It's kind of short sighted.

LeFlume

All Star
I don't write him off because of his stats. I wrote him off long before the draft. I don't see him make it in the NBA. I would be shocked if he makes it. Ricky Rubio = A poor mans J.J Reddick but without his shooting skill.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Ricky Rubio is much more of a playmaker than JJ Reddick, he plays the passing lanes better than JJ Reddick, and even Reddick can score inside in the NBA....not to say he's a D. Rose, or CP3, but he's shown the ability to score around the rim when the opposing center can't stand there for a prolonged amount of time.

So if Rubio can get to the rim and at least threaten it before dishing to a cutting teammate...I'll take it. It'd would be like a poor man's Rondo.

Speaking of Rondo, a good portion of his assists wouldn't even be assists in the Euroleague. Every time he penetrates and kicks to Allen who pump fakes his man, takes that one dribble to get into a rhythm, and nails a 3...no assist for Rondo over seas. Every time he throws it down low to a big, if that big takes a dribble the assist is dead.

I think getting Rubio would be too expensive, but I don't think he'd be a total waste in the NBA in the right system.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Nuckles' assessments of the Rickster are right on.

Rubio is a wonderful passer and ballhandler. He also has a high IQ on both ends of the floor.

The things i'd worry about w him would be is jumpshot and his man to man defense.

The kid could run an NBA team tho. No doubt.

On offense he's like a less athletic (his shooting is not as bad as Rondo's tho) Rondo, who doesn't defend one on one nearly as well.

Look at Jennings' stats in Euroleague.

Jason Kidd coming out of college couldn't shoot the ball. I don't care if Rubio can't score, that will come. His court vision and man defense are what makes him a huge prospect in my eyes.

LeFlume

All Star
Jennings had his basketball education in the US. Meaning -he can handle himself on the court. NBA is 10 times more physical than the Eoroleague. Any team, if any, sign Rubio will find out pretty quick that the dude dosen't have what it takes. I just hope Knicks aren't that stupid..

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Jennings had his basketball education in the US. Meaning -he can handle himself on the court. NBA is 10 times more physical than the Eoroleague. Any team, if any, sign Rubio will find out pretty quick that the dude dosen't have what it takes. I just hope Knicks aren't that stupid..

No it's not.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Interesting replies. I'm intrigued by him, but I still need to see more of him.

We could definitely drastically benefit from a pass-first and creative PG. Anybody else anybody can think of?

Right now it's Paul, Nash, and maybe Rubio.

LeFlume

All Star
I wish we could get Felton back somehow. Just when he and Amare started to find that chemistry he got traded.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I wish we could get Felton back somehow. Just when he and Amare started to find that chemistry he got traded.
Felton was struggling for the most part a while before the trade from what I remember.

I'd love him back, he helped us get to the Playoffs, and he did need rest which might have been part of his struggles, but I don't know if he'd be the right PG with Amar'e and Melo.

tiger0330

Legend
I was reading the TWolves think they have a good chance signing him this year probably because of a combination of his buyout from his Euroleague contract and because he had a mediocre year there. It's probably time for a change of scenery for him and get his NBA lottery contract from the TWolves.

Dying to see what he can do in the NBA but I don't expect him to start even with the TWolves, might take a few years before you see if he can cut it in the league.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Rubio

It might well be in Rubio's interests to stay in Spain one more year. I believe that if he waits one more year he will not be tied to a rookie scale contract, which in his case under the current CBA is not so bad. But perhaps he could earn more without the scale restrictions. There is also the problem of a possible lock out.

In any event, i do not see us getting him even if we wanted him. Kahn appears to be obsessed with him. Minnesota could well have the rights to Kyle Irving if their many ping pong balls fall into place. Apparently Kahn has indicated a possibility of trading those rights with the expectation of signing Rubio.