Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can we kill 2 birds w/ one stone?

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Yes, but then Donnie can sit back and w a relaxed tone tell them, "You don't want to accept our fair (lol) offer?? Okay then, we'll wait and see what happens in FA..".

He should have the upper hand because everyone in the league knows Paul wants NY.
    Even in that case a sign and trade with NO would be our only option. I can almost guarantee that we wont have the cap room straight up to sign Paul in FA. I was trying to get a scenario where we might be able to have our cake and eat it too. But LJ is being a lil girl and getting all pissed because this thread involves CP3. If it was about a center he would be all for it. Its a Bball forum and we can all speculate and dream if we want to.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    True. But that doesn't stop a team like New Orleans playing us the way the Nuggets and Nets did.

Trust me, it's going to take more than Fields to get us the best PG in the game.

*Edit - We may not have the cap space to sign CP3, so NO can play that card against us. They would probably let CP3 walk for a trade exception to another team in free agency than give him away for nothing. Rememer, teams are working in their best interests, not ours, or CP3's. Just like Denver.
    Yes it does, and I don't even think the Nuggets played us to be honest.. We were going to replace Felton with CP3 anyways and Billups has a bigger contract so it can be more useful if a trade goes down, Chandler was gone at the end of the season anyways, so we basically traded Melo for Gallo how is that getting played? I think we can sign Cp3 in free agency especially with a lot of our players contracts expiring in 2012.

Originally Posted by JazRedGT
    Even in that case a sign and trade with NO would be our only option. I can almost guarantee that we wont have the cap room straight up to sign Paul in FA. I was trying to get a scenario where we might be able to have our cake and eat it too. But LJ is being a lil girl and getting all pissed because this thread involves CP3. If it was about a center he would be all for it. Its a Bball forum and we can all speculate and dream if we want to.
    Idk, I'd hate to think signing Paul in FA isn't possible. I mean, if we signed him for what Billups + Balkman + Turiaf make that'd be, what... bout 19 million. That's not that much less than what Melo and Amare are making.

I would love to get CP3. I wanted him over Melo. I'm just being realistic. Sorry if that bothers you. You think a decent vet will accept the full MLE for 1 year, and Fields is enough of a talent for CP3. I don't. No need to be insulting.

Idk, I'd hate to think it's not possible. I mean, if we signed him for what Billups + Balkman + Turiaf make that'd be, what... bout 19 million. That's not that much less than what Melo and Amare are making.
    If the cap goes down and Amare and Melo's $$$ goes up 10% each year. We will not be able to dole out 20mil for Paul.

If the cap goes down and Amare and Melo's $$$ goes up 10% each year. We will not be able to dole out 20mil for Paul.
    That's a big if.. I honestly don't see that happening, but who knows.

Idk, I'd hate to think signing Paul in FA isn't possible. I mean, if we signed him for what Billups + Balkman + Turiaf make that'd be, what... bout 19 million. That's not that much less than what Melo and Amare are making.
    Thats more than what their making.

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    Yes it does, and I don't even think the Nuggets played us to be honest.. We were going to replace Felton with CP3 anyways and Billups has a bigger contract so it can be more useful if a trade goes down, Chandler was gone at the end of the season anyways, so we basically traded Melo for Gallo how is that getting played? I think we can sign Cp3 in free agency especially with a lot of our players contracts expiring in 2012.
    If we don't keep Douglas and are able to trade Balkman for an expiring contract we will have approx $44 mil in team salary with only 2 players on the roster. Even if we have enough space to sign CP3 (he agrees to take a lot less), that only leaves us with 3 players and 12 minimum salary players. That is still not enough to win a championship, in my opinion.

Look at how the Bulls just killed the Heat. Why? Because of their bench. I still think a solid bench and role players are more important than CP3.

You're incorrectly assuming we would have $19 mil in cap space. Unless my numbers are wrong, we won't. Please show me where the cap space is and I'll believe it. Until then, I will still be doubtful.

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    Thats more than what their making.
    Really? I thought Melo and Amare both were signed for numbers that start w a 2 going into the 2012- 2013 season..

*edit* Your right. They'll both be making around 19 mil.

Paul would be making about what Melo and Amare get. It'd be nice if he could live w around 18mil.
    Last edited by ronoranina; May 15, 2011 at 23:11.

You're incorrectly assuming we would have $19 mil in cap space. Unless my numbers are wrong, we won't. Please show me where the cap space is and I'll believe it. Until then, I will still be doubtful.
    Between Billups, who'll make 14.2 mil and Turiaf who'll earn 4.36 mil, that's 18.56 mil right there coming off our payroll after the 2011-2012 season.

Walker also comes off. He makes 916k.

That brings us to a grand total of 19.47 mil in space barring any huge changes to the CBA.

That's enough to sign Paul as a FA.

Balkman, sadly will be signed through the 2012-13 season..

I opened this thread planning on giving out a well written proposal on how to murder Jefferies and Dantoni with only 1 bullet.

Then I saw the thread's topic.....

Between Billups, who'll make 14.2 mil and Turiaf who'll earn 4.36 mil, that's 18.56 mil right there coming off our payroll after the 2011-2012 season.

Walker also comes off. He makes 916k.

That brings us to a grand total of 19.47 mil in space barring any huge changes to the CBA.

That's enough to sign Paul as a FA.

Balkman, sadly will be signed through the 2012-13 season..
    This is incorrect. You are assuming we are at or below the cap limit. We are above the cap right now with only 8 players on the roster. Also, Amare and Melo's salaries increase each year. Also, you are not taking into account the minimum roster cap hold.

It's not a 1:1 ratio. The Lakers could have $20 mil coming off their books and still be over the cap. Just because we have $19 mil coming off the books does not mean we have $19 mil in cap space.

We will have approx $44 mil in total team salary in 2012 with ONLY 2 PLAYERYS ON THE ROSTER ($19.45 + $19.95 + $4.75 = $44.15). This is including NOT picking up Douglas' option and somehow trading Balkman for an expiring contract.

The salary cap this year was $58 mil. If the cap stays the same we will have only $14 mil in cap space with just Melo and Amare on the roster. That's $14 mil for CP3 and the rest on minimum salary D-Leage level scrubs at $475,000 per year.

If we keep Douglas and are unable to trade Balkman, we will have approx $47 mil in team salary leaving us with only $11 mil in cap space.

This, ofcourse, is under the assumption the cap will remain the same, which it won't. Some reports say the cap will lower, others say it will rise. There are also some rumors of a hard cap to $70 mil. Which may help us in the short run but is hard for me to believe will help us in the long run.

Hard to predict at this point. The cap rose $1mil (from $57 mil to $58 mil) last year.

I'm sorry to keep bringing up these facts. Everybody doesn't seem to like it and bashes me for bringing up the ugly truth. The numbers don't lie. If everybody would rather not hear the truth, you have the option of blocking my posts or just not reading them.
    Last edited by LJ4ptplay; May 16, 2011 at 10:41.

You mean the exact same scenario we went through with Melo? The one where Denver stood to lose Melo for nothing but we got played into giving up all of our young talent and draft picks?

All this talk is eerily similar to the Melo talk last summer. Everyone said we could get Melo for Chandler + Curry.

Big difference though. CP3 will know the terms of the CBA and his new contract will be under the new CBA either way. The Melo situation was not the norm and there were too many variables for him to chance waiting.

Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Big difference though. CP3 will know the terms of the CBA and his new contract will be under the new CBA either way. The Melo situation was not the norm and there were too many variables for him to chance waiting.
    Yeah. We got played heavily by Melo. Denver and the Nets as well. I think it's pretty obvious what happened. Melo told Denver he would only sign an extension with the Knicks. That's pretty obvious. Or else he would have been traded to the Nets, or any other team for that matter. There were several opportunities throughout the season.

Since teams are not allowed to talk to other teams' players, Denver gave us permission to talk to Melo because Denver felt we were dragging our feet and weren't offering enough. Melo then told us he wouldn't wait until the summer and wanted the extension, fooling us into believing he would go to the Nets and forcing us to give all of our young talent, assets and draft picks.

Thanks Melo!