Charles Jenkins On Knicks' Draft List

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
One thing more improbable than Hofstra point guard Charles Jenkins throwing out the first pitch at Citi Field 20 minutes from his Queens home would be the Springfield Gardens product being selected in the first round of the NBA Draft.

The first event happened last night, when Jenkins graced the Flushing diamond before the Mets' game against the Marlins. The first-round selection could come June 23. Several NBA executives view the versatile point guard as a mid-to-late first-round pick. Jenkins is on the Knicks' radar at No. 17 as team president Donnie Walsh is seeking a point guard of the future for the roster because centers are in short supply.

AP
STAYING HOME: The Knicks, in the market for a young point guard, could select Hofstra's all-time leading scorer Charles Jenkins (above) with their first-round draft pick, the 17th selection overall.

"It would be great," Jenkins said of being taken by the Knicks. "For me having an opportunity playing in the NBA is great in itself. Whatever team I'll be excited about, but I would love the Knicks, growing up with my dad a big Knicks fan. Any time they played, it was definitely on the TV."
The Knicks will interview Jenkins at the pre-draft camp that takes place Thursday and Friday in Chicago, where he will go through a combine-style host of drills and tests for all teams. Jenkins could become the first New York City public school point guard to play in the NBA since Lincoln's Sebastian Telfair made it in 2004.

Because of his small-school background, Jenkins believes his draft stock hangs in the balance, pending his performance in Chicago and individual workouts that follow. He already has worked out for the Spurs.
"Where I go depends on how I work out, how I impress scouts in the workouts," Jenkins said. "It all depends on me. Projections by 'experts' are one thing. It all depends on how good I play."

The Knicks have Chauncey Billups, 35 years old and coming off a knee strain that knocked him out for most of the first-round playoff sweep against the Celtics. His backup is Toney Douglas, who the Knicks have deduced does not have the decision-making skills to be their playmaker of the future.
The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Jenkins, 22, may just have them. The Knicks also are looking at Boston College's Reggie Jackson and Georgia Tech's Iman Shumpert if they go the point guard route in the first round.

"He's a throwback point guard with a really good feel for the game," one NBA executive said. "He plays with a quiet confidence. He's more polished than Jackson. He's more savvy, more ready. Reggie is more of a scorer, maybe more upside, but Jenkins has more consistency and he's got a strong upper body on him."

Jenkins can see himself as a good fit at the Garden.

"They have great guards there already -- Chauncey is a veteran and Toney has done a great job," Jenkins said. "But they may have another opening for a guard to come in and make plays. If I have the opportunity to do so, I will. It's not about who's the best player available, but all about what a team needs.

"I can mix my size, speed and power to get in the lane and make plays. There aren't many point guards [in the draft] that have my size and speed that could do that."

Jenkins, lightly recruited out of high school, became the all-time leading scorer in Hofstra history, won the Haggerty Award for best metropolitan college player three times, equaling Chris Mullin and Jim McMillian. Jenkins is the second all-time scorer in Colonial Athletic Association history after David Robinson. But it's still the CAA -- not the ACC.

"It's not the biggest conference, but we played against a lot of tough conferences and I showed I can play against those conferences," Jenkins said. "I wasn't heavily recruited, but I gained a lot of respect from the players in the other conferences."

One drawback about joining the Knicks is their jersey No. 22 -- Dave DeBusschere's number -- is retired. Jenkins wears No. 22 in honor of his older brother, who was shot to death in 2001 in Brooklyn at the age of 22.
"My brother is one of the reasons I started playing basketball when I was younger," Jenkins said. "The love of the game I got from him."

[email protected]

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/taking_pride_CRenxLNff7PlgAys3W0MUN#ixzz1MbzOgdZM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hard to judge solely by highlights, but I like what I see. Clearly very strong physically at his position. Don't watch college ball, so if anyone can expound on his +/-, I'd appreciate it!

moneyg

Starter
Crazy⑧s;179177 said:
One thing more improbable than Hofstra point guard Charles Jenkins throwing out the first pitch at Citi Field 20 minutes from his Queens home would be the Springfield Gardens product being selected in the first round of the NBA Draft.

The first event happened last night, when Jenkins graced the Flushing diamond before the Mets' game against the Marlins. The first-round selection could come June 23. Several NBA executives view the versatile point guard as a mid-to-late first-round pick. Jenkins is on the Knicks' radar at No. 17 as team president Donnie Walsh is seeking a point guard of the future for the roster because centers are in short supply.

AP
STAYING HOME: The Knicks, in the market for a young point guard, could select Hofstra's all-time leading scorer Charles Jenkins (above) with their first-round draft pick, the 17th selection overall.

"It would be great," Jenkins said of being taken by the Knicks. "For me having an opportunity playing in the NBA is great in itself. Whatever team I'll be excited about, but I would love the Knicks, growing up with my dad a big Knicks fan. Any time they played, it was definitely on the TV."
The Knicks will interview Jenkins at the pre-draft camp that takes place Thursday and Friday in Chicago, where he will go through a combine-style host of drills and tests for all teams. Jenkins could become the first New York City public school point guard to play in the NBA since Lincoln's Sebastian Telfair made it in 2004.

Because of his small-school background, Jenkins believes his draft stock hangs in the balance, pending his performance in Chicago and individual workouts that follow. He already has worked out for the Spurs.
"Where I go depends on how I work out, how I impress scouts in the workouts," Jenkins said. "It all depends on me. Projections by 'experts' are one thing. It all depends on how good I play."

The Knicks have Chauncey Billups, 35 years old and coming off a knee strain that knocked him out for most of the first-round playoff sweep against the Celtics. His backup is Toney Douglas, who the Knicks have deduced does not have the decision-making skills to be their playmaker of the future.
The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Jenkins, 22, may just have them. The Knicks also are looking at Boston College's Reggie Jackson and Georgia Tech's Iman Shumpert if they go the point guard route in the first round.

"He's a throwback point guard with a really good feel for the game," one NBA executive said. "He plays with a quiet confidence. He's more polished than Jackson. He's more savvy, more ready. Reggie is more of a scorer, maybe more upside, but Jenkins has more consistency and he's got a strong upper body on him."

Jenkins can see himself as a good fit at the Garden.

"They have great guards there already -- Chauncey is a veteran and Toney has done a great job," Jenkins said. "But they may have another opening for a guard to come in and make plays. If I have the opportunity to do so, I will. It's not about who's the best player available, but all about what a team needs.

"I can mix my size, speed and power to get in the lane and make plays. There aren't many point guards [in the draft] that have my size and speed that could do that."

Jenkins, lightly recruited out of high school, became the all-time leading scorer in Hofstra history, won the Haggerty Award for best metropolitan college player three times, equaling Chris Mullin and Jim McMillian. Jenkins is the second all-time scorer in Colonial Athletic Association history after David Robinson. But it's still the CAA -- not the ACC.

"It's not the biggest conference, but we played against a lot of tough conferences and I showed I can play against those conferences," Jenkins said. "I wasn't heavily recruited, but I gained a lot of respect from the players in the other conferences."

One drawback about joining the Knicks is their jersey No. 22 -- Dave DeBusschere's number -- is retired. Jenkins wears No. 22 in honor of his older brother, who was shot to death in 2001 in Brooklyn at the age of 22.
"My brother is one of the reasons I started playing basketball when I was younger," Jenkins said. "The love of the game I got from him."

[email protected]

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/taking_pride_CRenxLNff7PlgAys3W0MUN#ixzz1MbzOgdZM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hard to judge solely by highlights, but I like what I see. Clearly very strong physically at his position. Don't watch college ball, so if anyone can expound on his +/-, I'd appreciate it!

he plays with a lot of poise.. never really seems out of control.. very efficient...could be promising..has a good pullup jimmy

Wargames

Starter
If they get him I would be ok with it. It takes care of a need of a legitimate backup PG, and not for nothing any small team player scouted by the spurs is always a good sign of quality.

Also getting him at 17 doesnt mean the knicks won't buy a pick to get another center project like they did with Jordan....

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Charles-Jenkins-6189/

actually after reading his profile his stats are up there with higher ranged PGs...... He could definitely be a steal.

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
This is exactly what we need. A backup PG who we can hand the reins to when Chauncey leaves. And if we make a serious play for CP3, it would be nice to have a young PG to offer in the trade.

We already have a prospect center, and there are serviceable bigs in the league, who can be had, to provide what we need for a championship run. The same can't really be said for the PG spot. The majority of the young PGs are locked up with current teams, and more and more quality PGs seem to be coming out of college, and having positive impacts in the league, in the past few years...maybe not all-star or all-nba, but quality point men. The same can't really be said for centers, so why even chance it?

I'd rather go with the position that's churning out a lot of quality players, and try to get an established center later on. Chauncey isn't gonna be here forever and TD is more of a player in a Ben Gordon, or Marcus Thornton, light. Excellent guards....that I don't want running the point.

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
Nice seeing an NY product go in the first round, I thought we'd take a flyer on him in the 2nd round.
I assume the Knicks will get a C in FA so a combo guard/backup 4 seems to be what we are targeting for the draft.

Marek

Benchwarmer
I really worry about his ability to step up to the speed and intensity of the NBA game. I'd love to end up with him somehow, but he's not worth a 1st round pick, IMO.

At #17 in a weak draft like this, the Knicks need for forget about drafting needs and just pick the best player on the board. I don't care if it's another 3 or 4...It's not like they don't need the depth anyway.

moneyg

Starter
I really worry about his ability to step up to the speed and intensity of the NBA game. I'd love to end up with him somehow, but he's not worth a 1st round pick, IMO.

At #17 in a weak draft like this, the Knicks need for forget about drafting needs and just pick the best player on the board. I don't care if it's another 3 or 4...It's not like they don't need the depth anyway.

with that said.. faried would still be my choice at 17

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Don't have an opinion on drafting him from highlights.

I like that he doesn't have a lazy handle (even though he did small carries, as most players now do, in some of the first video that's allowed, he shows he has legit good handles and doesn't carry at all a bunch of times in the video).

I also like he's from NYC and is a Knicks fan. That would be great to draft him. He's also a senior, which could turn out to be a great thing. Fields played four years.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
Lol, never even heard of this guy before right now. I thought that I watched a decent amount of college basketball too...... apparently not.

I kind of like his demeanor out there. Seems like a legit backup RIGHT NOW.

This is still my list

1. Farried
2. Morris brother
3. Morris brother
4. Jimmer
5. Charles Jenkins
6. Triston Thompson

Obviously Kemba's my number 1, but highly doubtful he drops even past 10. I would bank on between 4-7 for him. I'm still ALL for trading Landry and our pick for Kemba, but I'm still fine with any of these players on my list.

Wargames

Starter
well you have to think the Knicks are looking at pg like Jenkins because they think a big name college player like Jimmer is going to be picked early by a team looking at his upside.

As for Faried, or any type center that could be had at 17. Everyone seems to forget that the Knicks are probably the team most likely to purchase a low first because we have no one signed on our team. 20 is a very likely going to be up for sale. The Timberwolves have like 11 signed and the number 2 pick as well. If the Knicks buy that pick they then can go around and draft a smaller school PG. Thats what I think this is about. Jenkins would likely be our pick at 20 after we drafted the best player/Big available like Faried with the 17 pick.

Also I hope the Knicks get a second rounder to take a chance on one of those 2nd round Centers.

Lastly does anyone think Stern cheated this draft for the Cav's again.... I mean he's done it often in the draft before?

NYKNICKS4LIFE

Benchwarmer
since we talking about the draft

what about the KNICKS trading with CAVS to get the 4th pick in draft???

Get Kemba Walker or Bismack Byombo

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
since we talking about the draft

what about the KNICKS trading with CAVS to get the 4th pick in draft???

Get Kemba Walker or Bismack Byombo

Cavs could use Toney Douglass/Landry Fields.

We don't because our 2 superstars will bring in good players who want to win a championship.

Pull the trigger. Even if it means giving up both douglass/Fields.

I understand it seems like a lot, but you guys gotta understand. We WILL bring in free agents who want to play with Melo/Stat. What we have to do is go for the best players available...... aka Bismack or Kemba.

NYKNICKS4LIFE

Benchwarmer
I like where this is going here

Give the CAVS Douglas/Fields with CASH

NYK get the CAVS's 4th pick in 2011 draft

select either Kemba Walker PG or Bismack Byombo C/PF

depending which pick is selected

NYK select for the 17th pick Ken Faried PF, Marshon Brooks SG, or Charles Jenkins PG

IF NYK select Walker at 4 then Faried at 17

IF NYK select Byombo at 4 then select Brooks at 17

IMO NYK should select Marshon Brooks SG at 17th pick

then in FA get Grant Hill to play SG/SF while grooming Brooks our Future SG

He will be a impact player with complimenting MELO STAT and BILLUPS

p0nder

Starter
This season. I am looking forward to some continuity. Billups, Melo and STAT will anchor the team. but i think a guy like Fields is someone they want to keep.

The article states that the knicks now see Tdouglas as I do, a Combo guard in a PG body. he's decent off the bench as a role player but not what we need at the PG spot. not even close.

We need a pass-first, throwback PG. a real facilitator. Billups is a good PG but he's not the same mold of PG that you would like to see here. I think this Jenkins kid fits more of what were need for melo and STAT to have success.