How did Renaldo Balkman end up making it to the NBA?

knicksin60

Starter
Seriously, this guy has to be one of the worst all around players I've seen on an NBA court. Aside from a few good defensive flashes in his career, he's been useless and should be on the all NBA draft bust list along with Kwame Brown, Anthony Randolph and Greg Oden.What surprises me is how he's survived in the NBA for so long without being sent down to the D-league or being waived off the Knicks' and Nuggets' rosters.When the Knicks decided to draft him back in the summer of 2006, was he projected to be a future NBA star by scouts? Or was the reason behind the Knicks drafting him was Isiah Thomas going through one of his sleeping pill cycles?

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
Balkman......... just defines the Isaiah Thomas era. Drafting him when Rondo was still on the board. *sigh*

I remember Jay Bilas and Bill Simmons just scoffing over that pick.

He was drafted for his hustle/intensity/defense. Now that he's got his contract it seems like he lost the desire to even care anymore.

knicksin60

Starter
I really hope that Walsh ends up trading him for a second round pick.There is no sense in having this guy sit on the bench for 82 games next season and doing nothing.

Marek

Benchwarmer
I think that award goes to Marbury, runner up is Eddy Curry. The worst moves in Knicks history, that Camby/Nene trade also makes me :barf:

Jerome James is atleast tied with the Curry deal. Eddy had a nice 1/2 season where he was almost an All-Star. James was a pathetic waste beyond description.

skisloper

Starter
If I remember correctly the Joke of the Balkman draft was that he would have been available in the 2nd round.

the Pheonix Suns played with Isiah and started a rumor they may take him in the first round ( I think to avoid Isiah taking who they eventually wanted )...

Now of course Isiahs EGO jumped and boom Balkman was born....

Did you know when Balkman got the call from the Knicks he was home sleeping ?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
If I remember correctly the Joke of the Balkman draft was that he would have been available in the 2nd round.

the Pheonix Suns played with Isiah and started a rumor they may take him in the first round ( I think to avoid Isiah taking who they eventually wanted )...

Now of course Isiahs EGO jumped and boom Balkman was born....

Did you know when Balkman got the call from the Knicks he was home sleeping ?

What a joke. :barf:

It bothers me that this last remaining bit of Isiah stink will be with us for some time longer.

Seriously, this guy has to be one of the worst all around players I've seen on an NBA court. Aside from a few good defensive flashes in his career, he's been useless and should be on the all NBA draft bust list along with Kwame Brown, Anthony Randolph and Greg Oden.What surprises me is how he's survived in the NBA for so long without being sent down to the D-league or being waived off the Knicks' and Nuggets' rosters.When the Knicks decided to draft him back in the summer of 2006, was he projected to be a future NBA star by scouts? Or was the reason behind the Knicks drafting him was Isiah Thomas going through one of his sleeping pill cycles?

my guess is coaches probably love him, he has the ability to guard 3 to 4 positions, runs the floor, and plays aggressive

what I mean is

he is the perfect, coaches dream of a practice player.

does all the dirty things every day in and out, I went to 4 games this year

and he was out there before each game shooting around by himself and a trainer about an hour before the game opposite side of the court from amare, so the work ethic is there

he just literally cant shoot, if he could shoot, he would play; but I feel like he is just one of those players who doesnt have that pure feel for hitting a jump shot, ala a power forward in a small forwards body with no jump shot, I mean if al horfod wasnt 6,10 250 lbs, instead 6 8 210, he would probably be riding the pine some where too.

so I would have to assume, that coaches love him as a practice player.

and thats why he hasnt been cut by the knicks and nuggets, especially the nuggets being george karl is known through out his career for keeping hustle minded scrubs around to help prepare his winning teams, see sonics/bucks/nuggets/ benches when he was there.

Balkman is not that bad actually, he can defend, rebound and hustle.

I've seen worse players over the years...yes it was a joke to select him that early in 2006, but I wouldn't say he doesn't belong into the NBA!