Rondo is nothing more than a back-up

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Rondo is not a backup: there are times where he takes over the game, he's great on defense, and he one of the best point guards at setting up people with an assist. One improvement that would make him even greater, is if he can improve his jumper and free throws.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
What makes him different than Kidd at 38? He passes to good shooters, they make the shots, he rebounds, etc. He also probably gets defended more than Rondo.

Remember when Anthony Carter finally was put in to guard Rondo in Game 4? Rondo couldn't do anything.

Who's he making better? Ray Allen? Kevin Garnett? Pierce?

You're not a top PG, or even a starter when the game plan is to not defend you. I do think he's a good player, that's it. Doesn't impress me usually.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I'm not a fan of Rondo, but he is good enough to start.

You don't need a flashy player to run the point. You just need someone who can pass the ball, defend, and score when the team needs him to.

I'm a fan of 20+ point per game scoring guards, which is why I was a fan of guys like Marbury, Francis, Iverson, Arenas, Nash, etc. It's entertaining seeing small guards try to maneuver their way around centers and power forwards for lay ups and jump shots.

But you don't need those kind of point guards to win a championship.

The Lakers won 5 titles with Derick Fisher running the point, and the Heat had a washed up Gary Payton when they won the title in 2006. And the Celtics had Rondo when they won the championship in '08.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I'm not a fan of Rondo, but he is good enough to start.

You don't need a flashy player to run the point. You just need someone who can pass the ball, defend, and score when the team needs him to.

I'm a fan of 20+ point per game scoring guards, which is why I was a fan of guys like Marbury, Francis, Iverson, Arenas, Nash, etc. It's entertaining seeing small guards try to maneuver their way around centers and power forwards for lay ups and jump shots.

But you don't need those kind of point guards to win a championship.

The Lakers won 5 titles with Derick Fisher running the point, and the Heat had a washed up Gary Payton when they won the title in 2006. And the Celtics had Rondo when they won the championship in '08.
Oh yeah, he's good enough to start on the team he's on, but there's several guys who could have/could do what he's doing. A lot of people would probably think I'm nuts for thinking Jason Williams, Andre Miller, Hinrich, etc. is better than Rondo.

He also gets those assists because he can't do much else on offense. It's one thing to be passive, it's another thing not to be able to.

Also, is he really that good of a defender? I haven't paid much to his defense, so I'd like to hear opinions. Allen Iverson stole the ball a lot, but people say he gambled too much and wasn't a good defender. Is Rondo a great defender, or is his defense hyped up because of his steals?

Last edited:
Rondo is better than Billups at this point.

I think defensively and assist wise you won't find many better point guards than Rondo. I know that his shooting sucks, but he's very good at penetrating and going for circus layups or a nice dish to a teammate.

I don't know how you can pretend he's a backup, when he killed us in the Playoffs, especially in game 2 it was I think.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Rondo is better than Billups at this point.

I think defensively and assist wise you won't find many better point guards than Rondo. I know that his shooting sucks, but he's very good at penetrating and going for circus layups or a nice dish to a teammate.

I don't know how you can pretend he's a backup, when he killed us in the Playoffs, especially in game 2 it was I think.
He wasn't defended. Anthony Carter was the only one who tried.

I don't consider Rondo a great assist guy. He doesn't really create shots for others the way Paul and Nash does, making plays for guys who usually wouldn't get those shots. He's a good passer, not denying that, but he has to pass off.