After watching Heat.... One thing I do like about Dantonii......

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
I'll be the first to tell you that I want Dantoni to get the boot. We've discussed this enough. No need to go further into it.

However, I do appreciate the spread out offense he runs, especially after watching the Heat just have ZERO offensive flow last night against the Bulls. The whole 2nd half they were pretty much going one on one. There honestly was no ball movement. They won because James and Wade stepped up, and Rose was definitely off his game. Spo is a solid coach, knows his defense, but is offensively inept. You know you have problems when a proven veteran like Mike Miller can't, for the life of him, fit into the system.

I never really have to ever worry about us getting good looks with Dantoni. With the amount of open 3's we get per game we should actually have been hitting more, but we have some streaky shooters. I LOVE how much Carmelo opened up his game under this style, but it's also easy to fall in love with the 3 and completely forget about the paint. You just need to have a disciplined team (which Dantoni does not coach) and a PG who can sense when the team's jacking up too many 3's, and slow down the pace a bit. (Another reason why TD will never be able to run PG in our system).

I will say, IF we hire a big name, defensive oriented guy as assistant coach, I might be willing to give Dantoni another chance. I absolutely HATE the composition of the coaching staff now though. None of them are defensive guru's, and what has Dan Dantoni ever done?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Mike Antoni has to go. He is stubborn and unwilling to compromise.

In all his years of coaching, I have never seen him incorporate defense into his philosophy.

Getting a defensive minded assistant is not going to do anything.

Do you think Antoni listens to what Herb Williams, Phil Webber, or Dan Antoni have to say? Nope. And he's been with those guys for three years. So it's even less likely he would listen to an Assistant he's never worked with.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
We have had too many slashers in his three years of coaching our team to give him credit for this. We should be attacking, not shooting a bunch of threes. Get in the paint and show teams who's boss.

Our team has been a lot better to watch than Atlanta's at least.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
Mike Antoni has to go. He is stubborn and unwilling to compromise.

In all his years of coaching, I have never seen him incorporate defense into his philosophy.

Getting a defensive minded assistant is not going to do anything.

Do you think Antoni listens to what Herb Williams, Phil Webber, or Dan Antoni have to say? Nope. And he's been with those guys for three years. So it's even less likely he would listen to an Assistant he's never worked with.

Question is..... do they even have anything to say in the first place? Mike probably just hires them because they HAVE NOTHING to say.

STAT1

Starter
When the 3 pt shots aren't falling, MDA's "offensive flow" is non-existent. The game becomes all isolations & everyone remains stagnant on the floor. The offense relies heavily on the 3 pt shot. When the shooting is hot, the team looks like world beaters, but when they start to cool off (& that's not an IF it's a WHEN), the team lacks the defensive fundamentals to win most games. Unless MDA shifts his philosophy dramatically this summer, it's just going to be more of the same we've witnessed for the past 3 years under this coach next season.

When the 3 pt shots aren't falling, MDA's "offensive flow" is non-existent. The game becomes all isolations & everyone remains stagnant on the floor. The offense relies heavily on the 3 pt shot. When the shooting is hot, the team looks like world beaters, but when they start to cool off (& that's not an IF it's a WHEN), the team lacks the defensive fundamentals to win most games. Unless MDA shifts his philosophy dramatically this summer, it's just going to be more of the same we've witnessed for the past 3 years under this coach next season.
Don't all jump shooting teams (Oklahoma, Dallas, Denver, etc) need to hit their 3's to win?

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
Doesn't all jump shooting teams (Oklahoma, Dallas, Denver, etc) need to hit their 3's to win?

Precisely. Please name me the last jump shooting squad that plays weak defense to win an NBA championship. I can't think of one. Showtime Lakers had an elite shotblocking guy by the name of Kareem, who was a pretty good low post scorer too if my memory serves. :cool:

Precisely. Please name me the last jump shooting squad that plays weak defense to win an NBA championship. I can't think of one. Showtime Lakers had an elite shotblocking guy by the name of Kareem, who was a pretty good low post scorer too if my memory serves. :cool:
My point is that Scott Brooks, Doc Rivers, etc are offensive coaches just with great defensive players, I doubt our defense would be as bad if we had players like KG, Chandler, Perkins, Rondo, Sefolosha, I could go on. They also have had excellent defensive assistant coaches (Tom Thibbs, Ron Adams) and people expect us to be a top 10 defensive team with our current roster and Herb Williams as our "Defensive" assistant coach? OKC, Dallas, and Boston weren't a great defensive team before Chandler, KG, Tom Thibbs, Ron Adams came. Its unfair to judge MDA when we had an incomplete roster and our best defender (Azubuike) didn't recover like he was supposed to.

Last edited:

ducktales17

Benchwarmer

uhhhhhhh both Oklahoma and Dallas have good shots at winning this year lol. So your theory good go to waste in a few weeks.

smokes

Huge Member
uhhhhhhh both Oklahoma and Dallas have good shots at winning this year lol. So your theory good go to waste in a few weeks.

But both those teams have good defense... Especially OKC, Ibaka is a beast, Perkins is good, Durants size comes in very handy.. They can play a lot of good defense when required. His point was jumpshooting teams that don't play defense don't win championships.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
But both those teams have good defense... Especially OKC, Ibaka is a beast, Perkins is good, Durants size comes in very handy.. They can play a lot of good defense when required. His point was jumpshooting teams that don't play defense don't win championships.

To give Dantoni some credit, he hasn't had close to the defensive players that OKC has. Look at our roster..... It's just an overall shitty defensive roster.

You could argue that Dantoni never had the defensive roster because he doesn't coach it. I'd understand that, but even in Phoenix he didn't have the defensive players OKC has now.

STAT1

Starter

So let me get this straight. Since 1946 in the history of the league you can't name me 1 team that's ever won an NBA title relying on jumpshooting & not being able to play good defense, but if Dallas were to win it this year my theory gets shot to shit? Ok, if you say so.

STAT1

Starter
My point is that Scott Brooks, Doc Rivers, etc are offensive coaches just with great defensive players, I doubt our defense would be as bad if we had players like KG, Chandler, Perkins, Rondo, Sefolosha, I could go on. They also have had excellent defensive assistant coaches (Tom Thibbs, Ron Adams) and people expect us to be a top 10 defensive team with our current roster and Herb Williams as our "Defensive" assistant coach? OKC, Dallas, and Boston weren't a great defensive team before Chandler, KG, Tom Thibbs, Ron Adams came. Its unfair to judge MDA when we had an incomplete roster and our best defender (Azubuike) didn't recover like he was supposed to.

So when do you think it's fair to judge MDA? After next season if we don't win a championship or at least get to the 2nd round, is it fair to say he's not the coach that can lead us to where we need to go? Or does he need 2 more top 15 players on the roster to fairly judge him as an NBA coach?

So when do you think it's fair to judge MDA? After next season if we don't win a championship or at least get to the 2nd round, is it fair to say he's not the coach that can lead us to where we need to go? Or does he need 2 more top 15 players on the roster to fairly judge him as an NBA coach?
There might not even be a season next year, why pay a new coach when their might not even be a season? MDA is gone after next season if there even is one, and to be honest there isn't even any coaches available that are better than MDA.

Jerry Sloan- too old
JVG- unlikely
Mark Jackson- no coaching experience at all

and I love how some of you guys want Rick Adelman when his defense is just as bad as MDA's.

2012 is when there will be better coaches available.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
So let me get this straight. Since 1946 in the history of the league you can't name me 1 team that's ever won an NBA title relying on jumpshooting & not being able to play good defense, but if Dallas were to win it this year my theory gets shot to shit? Ok, if you say so.

your theory went to shit the second it came from your mind
:machinegun::machinegun::machinegun::machinegun:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

Theory? Dude thats like saying what team who can't shoot the ball or rebound ever won? Its an obvious point and no one is claiming that any team would. That includes Dallas who while relies on jump shooting does a lot more including play defense.

What insightful theory will be next? No team can win with just 4 players on the floor? :teeth:

Red

TYPE-A

Sounds good...

Except

1. D'antoni has NEVER coached a top 10 defensive team, complete with Assistants/Players or NOT.

Try again, you fail.

2. No one expects us to be a top 10 defensive team because we all know #1 (see above)

Way to spin it.

3. Doc's team didn't have defensive players as you say. Besides Garnot, Rondo was a rookie, Pierce and Alan weren't stalwarts. The coaching and scheme did that.

Stop making excuses that have no basis. Make the distinction between blame and forecasting what's best for the team.

Are you a Knick fan or D'Antoni fan?