We're going to need Chris Paul if we want to get by Miami's big three.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Does anybody reeally think we won't need this guy to beat Miami in a playoff series??

We need the ultimate floor-general-alchemist.

No pretenders @ the PG position will do..

CP3.. Period. Point Blank. Done.

Get him here.

Please Donnie!!! Please! Get him here however you can. Kidnap him if you have to.

And Lord,

Please don't let the new CBA be prohibitive to us getting this man. Please lord.. so that CP3 can fulfill the promise during that fateful toast at Carmelo's wedding, where he n La-la joined in holy matrimony in your name... so he can makes us a championship contender..

And can you please give the league a 75 million hard cap? Please Lord..

I pray in Jesus' name...

Amen :gony:

Seriously though guys we need this guy.

This just in: an elderly man using a walker, wearing a mask, and carrying a large potato sack was just arrested on the grounds of Chris Paul's home.

STAT1

Starter
CP3 would be a dream come true, but we can't lay our eggs into the free agency basket until 2012 at the earliest & we used up most of our assets to land Melo. Getting CP3 here is gonna be a tough proposition. One thing I think is pretty obvious though is that this system needs an MVP calibre PG to have much success.

Blumatic

Rotation player
CP3 would be a dream come true, but we can't lay our eggs into the free agency basket until 2012 at the earliest & we used up most of our assets to land Melo. Getting CP3 here is gonna be a tough proposition. One thing I think is pretty obvious though is that this system needs an MVP calibre PG to have much success.

If CP3 wants to be here no matter what. He will be here. Thats it.

petescud

Starter
I dig cp3 a ton and want him here too...but...Miami doesn't have much at point and look where they are at. Our bigs are letting us down as well as a defensive coach. I think no matter who we get, we won't win it all unless this team seriously picks up the Defense..

On that note, CP3 and a decent big, and a few better role players could get it done if we follow what i said above

STAT1

Starter
I dig cp3 a ton and want him here too...but...Miami doesn't have much at point and look where they are at. Our bigs are letting us down as well as a defensive coach. I think no matter who we get, we won't win it all unless this team seriously picks up the Defense..

On that note, CP3 and a decent big, and a few better role players could get it done if we follow what i said above

Miami is able to play lock down defense when they have to, plus they have 2 of the top players in the game running the show that can both create their own shot & create for others on their team, we don't currently have that. Both STAT & Melo are premier scorers, but they are not ball facilitators, & our defense sucks ass. MDA's teams need an MVP quality PG running the show to be successful.

Blumatic

Rotation player
Miami is able to play lock down defense when they have to, plus they have 2 of the top players in the game running the show that can both create their own shot & create for others on their team, we don't currently have that. Both STAT & Melo are premier scorers, but they are not ball facilitators, & our defense sucks ass. MDA's teams need an MVP quality PG running the show to be successful.

I agree with everything you said. But CP3 coming here has nothing to do with MDA being successful. We still need that coach. Unless MDA changes.

I agree with everything you said. But CP3 coming here has nothing to do with MDA being successful. We still need that coach. Unless MDA changes.

A new coach is imperative. Point blank period. Miami can play any game they want and beat you. Defense? CHECK. Offense? CHECK. Slow it down? CHECK. Fast break? Check. Finesse? CHECK. Toughness? CHECK. Inside? CHECK. Outside? CHECK. You name it they got it.

The Knicks with MOA as coach may be able to do 3-4 things on this list. Even with CP3 it doesnt bring us as close to the Heat (with MOA) as some of you guys may want to believe...

petescud

Starter
iami is able to play lock down defense when they have to, plus they have 2 of the top players in the game running the show that can both create their own shot & create for others on their team, we don't currently have that. Both STAT & Melo are premier scorers, but they are not ball facilitators, & our defense sucks ass. MDA's teams need an MVP quality PG running the show to be successful.

I agree with some of what you say here, but Melo can create his own
offense...what do you think he does all game (give me the ball and watch) ...STAT, to some extent, though he doesn't have the ball handling skills that the others pocess

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
A new coach is imperative. Point blank period. Miami can play any game they want and beat you. Defense? CHECK. Offense? CHECK. Slow it down? CHECK. Fast break? Check. Finesse? CHECK. Toughness? CHECK. Inside? CHECK. Outside? CHECK. You name it they got it.

The Knicks with MOA as coach may be able to do 3-4 things on this list. Even with CP3 it doesnt bring us as close to the Heat (with MOA) as some of you guys may want to believe...

The reason all of the things you highlighted can be done in Miami is because of the big three and the flexibility they bring to the court.

Spoelstra brings Riley's defensive philosophy. That's it.

If we can land Paul and a solid defensive assistant, we'll be able to compete w Miami for the next 4-6 yrs even if MDA is still coach.

Red

TYPE-A
The reason all of the things you highlighted can be done in Miami is because of the big three and the flexibility they bring to the court.

Spoelstra brings Riley's defensive philosophy. That's it.

If we can land Paul and a solid defensive assistant, we'll be able to compete w Miami for the next 4-6 yrs even if MDA is still coach.

No we don't need Chris Paul. Hasn't seeing D. Rose tought you anything?

With Stat & Melo, what can CP3 do that Billups or Felton can't?

This is a posters poor attempts to support D'Antoni by not exactly advocating for Steve Nash but rather a PG, because they feel that is what make D'Antoni sh*t work.

Again, hasn't league MVP D. Rose tought you anything?

CP3 isn't the answer. In fact considering we have Stat & Melo already, signing another Max will be a 4-5year death sentence.

CP3 @ 6' is nice. He is talented and can help almost any team. But he's not worth sacrificing size and depth. Part of that depth as far as the NYK's go is within the starting line-up.

We can use wishful thinking with Fields if you want and feel can become that knock-down shooter we need next to CB, Melo, and Stat. But that leaves a Center. This center must have talent.

Talented centers to anchor a defense an compliment two scorers and a facilitator that we have will be expensive and worth more than CP3- as again we need a facilitator.

Chauncey will prove this we need CP3 wrong next year, Felton and Rose already have as one is the MVP (shut down) and the other excelled on a less than max contract.

Again, all this thread is is a referendum and support of Mike D'Antoni. Its another way of saying the OP'er believes in him and Nash and he needs a PG for his system.

Get us some depth and a center and CB, Stat & Melo will take care of the rest. Trust.

And I didn't even mention replacing D'Antoni. See.

STAT1

Starter
iami is able to play lock down defense when they have to, plus they have 2 of the top players in the game running the show that can both create their own shot & create for others on their team, we don't currently have that. Both STAT & Melo are premier scorers, but they are not ball facilitators, & our defense sucks ass. MDA's teams need an MVP quality PG running the show to be successful.

I agree with some of what you say here, but Melo can create his own
offense...what do you think he does all game (give me the ball and watch) ...STAT, to some extent, though he doesn't have the ball handling skills that the others pocess

Yes very true, but neither of them are ball facilitators, they don't really create shots for others on their team. That's why I think CP3 is imperative, especially w/this head coach, who has never had any run of success without an MVP calibre PG with elite passing skills running his speedball style of game.

STAT1

Starter

I agree with you 100% I think this team needs a new coach regardless if we get CP3 or not. But since MDA is here I think it makes getting CP3 all that much more imperative. This system is not conducive to isolation style basketball, which is what the Knicks have been playing with Melo & STAT for the most part. This team needs a floor general that can push the tempo, play defense on the perimeter & most importantly, break down the defense off the dribble & pass to open teammates. I like Chauncey's leadership ability but he's no longer the shutdown defender he once was, & he's more suited to a halfcourt style of game, not really what MDA's system is about. Funny thing is for all the reasons I just outlined, it makes so much more sense to get a new head coach that will run the style of basketball that these players on this team are best suited for, but it doesn't look like MDA's going anywhere anytime soon to me.

moneyg

Starter
Yes very true, but neither of them are ball facilitators, they don't really create shots for others on their team. That's why I think CP3 is imperative, especially w/this head coach, who has never had any run of success without an MVP calibre PG with elite passing skills running his speedball style of game.

i guess the real question is....... do we settle for an pass first mediocre scoring PG and d12......... or a defensive center with mediocre offense and cp3????....i think both would work... i dont want CP3 and a offensive center and i dont want d12 and a scoring pg.. that wont cut it..

with the gun to my head i will take d12 for health reasons

Blumatic

Rotation player
Why do we want Dwight Howard. For defense and rebounding. I mean hey, I wont fight against it. However D12 here will neutralize STAT.

The last 2 premier bigs to play together was David Robinson and Tim Duncan. Robinson sacraficed his game so much b/c he knew Duncan was special. Having 2 dominant big men wont work b/c its just to crowded near the hoop. I will not pay 100 mil to someone who will be limited because of a teammate. CP3 will make everyone look good. And we

Wade and James still play like Max Contract guys because its theres room on the perimiter. When one goes to the whole the other gets out of the way.

Here they will be frustrated with each other. It was already tough for Bosh. It will be worse here.

moneyg

Starter
Why do we want Dwight Howard. For defense and rebounding. I mean hey, I wont fight against it. However D12 here will neutralize STAT.

The last 2 premier bigs to play together was David Robinson and Tim Duncan. Robinson sacraficed his game so much b/c he knew Duncan was special. Having 2 dominant big men wont work b/c its just to crowded near the hoop. I will not pay 100 mil to someone who will be limited because of a teammate. CP3 will make everyone look good. And we

Wade and James still play like Max Contract guys because its theres room on the perimiter. When one goes to the whole the other gets out of the way.

Here they will be frustrated with each other. It was already tough for Bosh. It will be worse here.

it can work but stat would have play away from the basket more... its not like he rebounds anyway and he has a 12-15 footer....howard can play 10 ft away and post up because he has a big first step....

its working with zach and gasol....bynum and gasol

while cp3 would waork as well... im more concerned with protecting the paint.. even if it sacrafices offense....

Blumatic

Rotation player
it can work but stat would have play away from the basket more... its not like he rebounds anyway and he has a 12-15 footer....howard can play 10 ft away and post up because he has a big first step....

its working with zach and gasol....bynum and gasol

while cp3 would waork as well... im more concerned with protecting the paint.. even if it sacrafices offense....

Thats a great point. But those guys are alpha males. If D12 and CP3 both want NY then we cant go wrong either way.