Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 63

Thread: We're going to need Chris Paul if we want to get by Miami's big three.

  1. #31
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,789
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I think we could use a coaching change...

    That being said I could imagine a CP3-Melo-STAT trio winning 70 games in D'Antoni's system...Steve Nash ran this system to average 12 assists...CP3 is better than him, CP3 plays defense...

  2. #32
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    14

    Thumbs down

    Originally Posted by STAT1
    Yes very true, but neither of them are ball facilitators, they don't really create shots for others on their team. That's why I think CP3 is imperative, especially w/this head coach, who has never had any run of success without an MVP calibre PG with elite passing skills running his speedball style of game.
    See, i told you. This CP3 sh*t is about D'Antoni and running a flawed offensive system.

    something I call brain-washing.

    I got news for you, unless D'Antoni miraculously learns defense, he won't be here.

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    First of all D. Rose is not CP3. In Miami, Rose ran up against a better team and better players. Wade and Bron are both better than him. With CP3, we'd have a player, who like Wade is just a notch below Lebron who is the best player in the game currently. To me, CP3 is also just slightly better than Wade.
    Huh? I respect your opinion but i disagree. Not only do they play 2 different positions but look at Wades resume, it includes
    2006 NBA Finals
    In his first trip to the NBA Finals, in which Miami faced off against the Dallas Mavericks, Wade had some especially memorable moments. His performance in games three, four, and five, in which he scored 42, 36, and 43 points,[25][26] respectively, helped bring the Heat back from a 02 deficit to lead the series at 3 games to 2. In Game 3 Wade tied his career playoff high with 42 points and grabbed a career high 13 rebounds.[27] 15 of his 42 points came in the fourth quarter, in which the Heat erased a 13 point deficit over the final 6:29 with a 227 run which included a go-ahead jumper by NBA veteran Gary Payton that sealed the win.[28] The Heat went on to win Game 6 behind Wade's 36 points, taking the series 42, and Wade was presented with the Finals MVP trophy.[29] He became the fifth youngest player in NBA history to capture NBA Finals MVP honors and recorded the third highest scoring average by a player in his first NBA Finals with 34.7 points per game.[13][30] His 33.8 PER in the NBA finals was ranked by ESPN's John Hollinger as the greatest Finals performance since the NBA-ABA merger.[31]
    C'mon man.

    and about me asking what can CP3 do that Chauncey or Felton can't considering we have Melo & Stat.
    I think you missed the point, that being Stat & Melo are socrers. A True pass first PG is all thats needed (who plays defense) and there are plenty. Why sacrifice the big man thats needed for an expensive PG who does what many other can do plus score when we don't need more scoring?

    Thats counterintuitive.


    Are you seriously asking this question??

    In CP3 we'd have a guy who could easily average 10-12 assists, 3-4 steals, shoot 48-50% from the field and 40% from three point range.. Neither Billups nor Felton or any other point guard in the league can do all of the things I just listed night in and night out, all while bringing rare leadership qualities that cannot be quantified, but have a real, profound effect on a game and the man's teammates.

    Amare and Melo would have it EASY. They'd have the great point guard of this generation to lead them, dish to them and take over games at will if need be..



    No this my attempt to advocate for us getting the best PG since Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson.

    MDA's offense works well w a solid PG like Felton or Billups. The team numbers bare this out. But his offense flies off the damn charts and becomes a serious problem w someone like Paul or Nash at the PG position.
    Exactly my point, this is about Mike D'Antoni, and can't possibly be about objective analysis and savvy. Why?

    Well first off it's obvious as you say you're a supporter.
    2nd, when analyzing our stat's we see 2nd IN OFFENSE, 28th IN DEFENSE! and thats with a combo of Billups and Felton.

    Why would an objective thinker see these stats and believe "taking the offense to another level (1)" is the answer?

    Answer: Because that subjective thinker is brainwashed into believing this system works, and totally neglects to consider all the facts that make this viewpoint wrong.

    *With a 2 time MVP this system failed to address and be successful on defense (and that goes back to PHX)
    *With 2 scoring proficient players (even 1 at a time), this system was #2 in offense and was worst in many defensive categories.
    *by acquiring another max we can't address what the stats bare out- quality Center, Depth, defensive help

    Every coach needs certain ingredients Red. MDA is no different. To have MDA as coach and not want for him to have what would make us all the more unstoppable seems counter-intuitive, no?

    That said, I want the Knicks to acquire Paul whether MDA is the coach or not.

    HE WILL GIVE US THE NUCLEUS WE NEED TO TAKE MIAMI DOWN.
    Yes, wanting Paul is one thing. It's your argument that's flawed. It puts your personal preference before analysis, and it concludes in ill faded decisions.

    Mike D'Antoni has no support in the front office. The media as well are turning on him. He's not in Kansas anymore, there is no hiding his deficiencies around here.

    What Mike needs (and we can all argue that) player wise has been shown to be next to impossible to get, too risky to get, and neglects what the majority feel really is wrong with this team. Part of that being Mike himself, his style, and his decisions.

    CP3 address none of those, unless we want to say it steps up the perimeter defense, but many cheaper options do as well, and provide opportunity to gain size and depth.

    again, when we brake down your reasoning for wanting CP3 it's clear
    *you're a fan
    * you support MDA
    Therefore you'd rather address your personal desires than do what's best for the team- just like MDA

    Tell us besides how good CP3 is, WHY WE NEED HIM? if thats your stance, ok then objectively break it down, analyze, and show us various points as to why the Knicks NEED CP3. We all WANT him, duh he's good and better than what we have

    but an objective analysis encompasses multi-facets

    Our Current roster, current stats, and historic proof have to be considered. Make an argument as to why CP3 will fix the issues in comparison to adding Size and depth to convince us,

    if not you are a fan blowing steam up our asses, hell-bent to field a team that please you but isn't well thought out complete with alternatives.


    Yeah, it's taught me that having a deep, defensive oriented team, w one All-Star/ Superstar type player is not enough against Miami to get out of the Eastern Conference.




    In looking at our team, I just feel that we need that extra touch of greatness for Amare and Melo to reach their full potential together. It may get better, but I don't think they mesh all that well out on the court together. CP3 would maximize their chemistry creating balance and uncontrollable unpredictability.

    But..

    Between the three of them I think we'd see a brand of prolificness that would shock the league for a period. All of my basketball instincts tell me that the three of them together would be something different, something special.

    Maybe it can't or won't happen for now obvious reasons (new CBA!!!), but I want this for my Knick team. I want us to be as great a team as we can be. Getting CP3 seems to me to be the way to get there.

    We have to see how the new CBA shakes out before any of us can say definitively what kind of cap problems getting him will create.

    I also believe we'll take a couple of bigs in this years draft to go along with what we have to hold down the middle. I'm not so much worried about who we have at center as how many guys we can throw out there that can rebound and block shots. All we need are rebounders and shot blockers who can finish the odd put back or easy lay-in off a dish/doubleteam to go along w Amare.




    The point Red, is that we have Melo and Amare. Judging by what Miami was able to do against the team with the best record in the East this season, I just think we need to go for the jugular and get Paul here, if it's feasible/possible.

    Also, Chicago had really good front-line players. They were deep and skilled at the 4 &5. The had Boozer, Asik, Gibson, Noah and my boy Kurt Thomas.

    Chicago also lead the league in defense:

    Opp PTS/G: 91.3 (2nd of 30)

    Def Rtg/ efficiency: 100.3 (1st of 30)

    In looking at the above one can deduce that Chicago had one of the deepest, best frontlines in the NBA AND one of best defenses AND the league MVP.. and still lost against Miami.

    Hence the creation of this thread born from a deeper understanding of what it will take to get past the Heat.

    The Finals will produce more valuable lessons.

    Because of the above, I will continue to promulgate the notion that we need as many great players as it is possible to attain, CP3 in particular. And in the case of this team and this coach, a great, HOF PG would certainly not be a bad thing.



    No Red,

    This thread is me simply stating my belief that CP3 is the answer going forward if we want to contend in an East Conf that has a dominating team like the Heat.

    Also, I don't need to beat around the bush re: my support of MDA. Anybody who reads my posts can easily ascertain where I stand.
    Your fervor underscores another point. We are dealing with the unknown. Just as you were tired of myself and others repeating Fire D'antoni, it is hypocritical of you to constantly repeat your feelings on Paul every chance, especially void of objective analysis.

    This is amplified by the unknown. It takes one line, one sig to say you support CP3. Without knowing if it's even a possibility it screams desperation to constantly repeat this knowing so much can affect this. So stop, we already know who and why you want him.

    If we look just at the Bulls:

    1. I said I didn't think they were that strong, #1 seed or not. They lack clutch scoring and that permeates in the playoffs, something everyone seems to forget until Apr-Jun.

    2. I disagreed that Rose was the league MVP, and he may be one of the best, but IMO he wasn't the best, so people were gassed.

    3. While Noah and Boozer are good, they are very limited. One can't score, the other can't play effective defense, although the Bulls as a team can.

    That said, we can't say we saw how MIA beat a great team in the Bulls because they lack the components that make a team great in the playoffs.

    We on the other hand are in a different boat. We HAVE scorers. We even have a facilitator. We have NO SIZE and DEPTH.

    I include Landry Fields with missing depth as well as our Center and bench, because again we already have Scoring options. We NEED players at the 2 and 5 that do everything but score primarily. 50/50 balls, screens, defense, rebounds, box out, etc...

    Research those true Centers that do this, and the pattern seems that they are not cheap. EVEN MOZGOV cost $9MIL!!!!! (3per)

    You start adding a knock down shooter (unless you feel Fields is that), quality bench players, and the UNKNOWN money wise and bam!

    We can't make any valid argument (besides his skills are to our liking) as to why CP3 clamoring needs anymore attention. Its wishful thinking at best. But I've yet to see a non-personal, valid, stat driven argument that supports this cacophony of "we need CP3" posters.

    Make a valid, wholistic argument to support your ideas or save us the trouble and put it in a sig, then keep it moving.

    The rest just looks emotional. Tell us how CP3 takes us from 28th in defense, last in points per on D, and into the top ten on defense.

  3. #33
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Honestly, I would rather focus on getting a very very good center. Maybe not D12 but someone very good.

    CP3's skill set can be replicated...Melo-Amare-Great Center can turn an above average PG into a very very very good PG. CP3-Melo-Amare does not turn an above average center into a very very very good center.

  4. #34
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    14

    Breaking News

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Honestly, I would rather focus on getting a very very good center. Maybe not D12 but someone very good.

    CP3's skill set can be replicated...Melo-Amare-Great Center can turn an above average PG into a very very very good PG. CP3-Melo-Amare does not turn an above average center into a very very very good center.
    My point put succinctly.
    CP3 is a great player, but not what we "need". He's too expensive and doesn't address our weaknesses. We can't confuse what we want, would like, and need.

    The stats bare we need size for rebounding and defense. We are hoping D'antoni provides help there too by strategizing. We were 2nd in offense while transitioning with 2 seperate pg's limited in their own right.

    An upgrade is warranted at other more prioritized deficient positions before addressing pg, especially an expensive one. To anticipate acquiring a max PG given our current 2max roster and changes in the CBA is not smart.

    We should plan for the worse cap wise and strategically. We NEED the best/least-expensive CENTER we can find and have depth needs after that. A formidable and dubious task to accomplish to say the least.

    By stating we "need" a max point before acknowledging those eminent realistic concerns that are directly related to what the stats say, we are just stating no more than wishful thinking.

    Now let's realistically and strategically get back to business. We should pray we somehow draft a starting center, because if not, it might be Samuel Dalembert or Jeff Foster in the trenches come next Apr.

  5. #35
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    10

    Default you still don't understand smh..

    Originally Posted by Red
    See, i told you. This CP3 sh*t is about D'Antoni and running a flawed offensive system.

    something I call brain-washing.

    I got news for you, unless D'Antoni miraculously learns defense, he won't be here.
    To you and many MDA runs a flawed system. I too think that playing an inside-out, half-court type of game is the more tried and true philosophy re: offense. I do like his brand of ball however and I KNOW it can work w the right players, ie a a great pass-first PG, knock down shooters and a bigman who can finish in transition and off the pick and roll.

    That said we have MDA. Whether I or you like, or totally agree w his offensive system or not, it behooves this front office to get players in here that are conducive to the system he uses. If this comes off as a veiled attempted at supporting our coach so be it. All I want is for us to have the best players possible because I know that the best grouping of players usually ends up winning a chip.



    Originally Posted by Red
    Huh? I respect your opinion but i disagree. Not only do they play 2 different positions but look at Wades resume, it includes


    C'mon man.

    and about me asking what can CP3 do that Chauncey or Felton can't considering we have Melo & Stat.
    I think you missed the point, that being Stat & Melo are socrers. A True pass first PG is all thats needed (who plays defense) and there are plenty. Why sacrifice the big man thats needed for an expensive PG who does what many other can do plus score when we don't need more scoring?

    Thats counterintuitive.
    You say CP3 does what others can do. But that is simply not the case Red.

    He does MUCH more than other PG's. You know this. That is not a valid arguement.

    I pointed this out in my last response to you. Here:


    In CP3 we'd have a guy who could easily average 10-12 assists, 3-4 steals, shoot 48-50% from the field and 40% from three point range.. Neither Billups nor Felton or any other point guard in the league can do all of the things I just listed night in and night out, all while bringing rare leadership qualities that cannot be quantified, but have a real, profound effect on a game and the man's teammates.

    Amare and Melo would have it EASY. They'd have the great point guard of this generation to lead them, dish to them and take over games at will if need be..



    CP3 is head and shoulders above any other PG you will find in the draft or any place else. You either underestimate or don't fully understand what he would bring to this team.

    Originally Posted by Red
    Exactly my point, this is about Mike D'Antoni, and can't possibly be about objective analysis and savvy. Why?

    Well first off it's obvious as you say you're a supporter.
    2nd, when analyzing our stat's we see 2nd IN OFFENSE, 28th IN DEFENSE! and thats with a combo of Billups and Felton.

    Why would an objective thinker see these stats and believe "taking the offense to another level (1)" is the answer?

    Answer: Because that subjective thinker is brainwashed into believing this system works, and totally neglects to consider all the facts that make this viewpoint wrong.

    *With a 2 time MVP this system failed to address and be successful on defense (and that goes back to PHX)
    *With 2 scoring proficient players (even 1 at a time), this system was #2 in offense and was worst in many defensive categories.
    *by acquiring another max we can't address what the stats bare out- quality Center, Depth, defensive help
    Yes I want the offense to be as good as it can be. Even though we were second in pts/gm w Billups and Felton this season, we did so while not really being at our full potential. We couldn't really depend on our offense night in and night out for W's. With knock down shooters and the great PG like MDA had in Phoenix we could consistently lean on our offense w that pick your poison style we're seeing in Dallas that is so effective. This is what MDA had in Phoenix and it's the reason why he was so successful inspite of having a team that played average defense. As long as MDA is the coach this is the direction we need to go in. Not saying it's the most tried and true means to win, but it's what we're working w now. It is not counter-intuitive to work within the confines of what you have w re: to our coach and his system.

    And yes MDA had a 2 time MVP. But how do you address the fact that he and Amare are not great both ways? Nash and Amare are and weren't good defenders. I continue to make this cogent point w regards to the limitations there were in Phoenix because of this fact and yet you continue to disregard it.

    YOU CAN'T HAVE A TOP RATED TEAM IN DEF EFFICIENCY WHEN YOUR TWO BEST, MOST INTEGRAL PLAYERS ARE DEFICIENT DEFENSIVELY.

    Those guys had to be on the floor for 35-40 min a night. How can you say that didn't affect the defense?

    The fact he was able to get them to 15th in def eff w those two guys is actually pretty good IMO.

    And the system does work Red. Just because the philosophy rubs you the wrong way, doesn't make it any less effective w the right ingredients. It can work well. .

    Originally Posted by Red
    Yes, wanting Paul is one thing. It's your argument that's flawed. It puts your personal preference before analysis, and it concludes in ill faded decisions.

    Mike D'Antoni has no support in the front office. The media as well are turning on him. He's not in Kansas anymore, there is no hiding his deficiencies around here.

    What Mike needs (and we can all argue that) player wise has been shown to be next to impossible to get, too risky to get, and neglects what the majority feel really is wrong with this team. Part of that being Mike himself, his style, and his decisions.

    CP3 address none of those, unless we want to say it steps up the perimeter defense, but many cheaper options do as well, and provide opportunity to gain size and depth.

    again, when we brake down your reasoning for wanting CP3 it's clear
    *you're a fan
    * you support MDA
    Therefore you'd rather address your personal desires than do what's best for the team- just like MDA

    Tell us besides how good CP3 is, WHY WE NEED HIM? if thats your stance, ok then objectively break it down, analyze, and show us various points as to why the Knicks NEED CP3. We all WANT him, duh he's good and better than what we have

    but an objective analysis encompasses multi-facets

    Our Current roster, current stats, and historic proof have to be considered. Make an argument as to why CP3 will fix the issues in comparison to adding Size and depth to convince us,

    if not you are a fan blowing steam up our asses, hell-bent to field a team that please you but isn't well thought out complete with alternatives.
    Red, adding CP3 is like adding Magic Johnson or Isiah Thomas to your team.

    Do I really need to explain to you what a player of that caliber brings to the table?

    If I do then I shouldn't even be arguing w you.

    You're missing the point. Telling you how good CP3 is, as well as what I think he would bring to this team is what matters most. What matters most is how this thing will play out on the court. You fail to understand this. CP3 would make our team immeasurably better. Much more so than any 3 mil dollar big.

    If you don't want to buy what I'm selling that's on you, but all it does is highlight a serious deficit of understanding w re: to how getting player of his ilk to run w Melo and Amare would be so utterly devastating to the league and ultimately Miami, who we need to contend against for years to come.


    Originally Posted by Red
    Your fervor underscores another point. We are dealing with the unknown. Just as you were tired of myself and others repeating Fire D'antoni, it is hypocritical of you to constantly repeat your feelings on Paul every chance, especially void of objective analysis.

    This is amplified by the unknown. It takes one line, one sig to say you support CP3. Without knowing if it's even a possibility it screams desperation to constantly repeat this knowing so much can affect this. So stop, we already know who and why you want him.

    If we look just at the Bulls:

    1. I said I didn't think they were that strong, #1 seed or not. They lack clutch scoring and that permeates in the playoffs, something everyone seems to forget until Apr-Jun.

    2. I disagreed that Rose was the league MVP, and he may be one of the best, but IMO he wasn't the best, so people were gassed.

    3. While Noah and Boozer are good, they are very limited. One can't score, the other can't play effective defense, although the Bulls as a team can.

    That said, we can't say we saw how MIA beat a great team in the Bulls because they lack the components that make a team great in the playoffs.



    How hypocritical you sound now Red.. Chicago is the type of team you complained we don't have all year. They have a collection of bigs who are very talented, they play excellent defense, and they have a coach who stresses defense... AND THEY COULDN'T GET IT DONE AGAINST MIAMI. Now this is still the type of team YOU want us to have here in NY.

    To see you now give excuses as to why they aren't good enough to beat Miami highlights that old commentary of you and others from Kblack, "When we win it's the coach and when we lose it's the players.", SMH. Geez that couldn't have been more on cue.

    Noah is a very good defensive center and rebounder. Boozer is a solid scorer in this league. Thibs defense is top notch. AND Rose is the MVP of the league. AND they have depth w Asik, Gibson and Thomas.

    Now I'm going to say this again and see if it takes this time, or if it's lost on you AGAIN:

    CHICAGO LOST TO A BETTER TEAM W BETTER PLAYERS.

    The best grouping of players wins in the playoffs. I think Miami will find away to win in the Finals also. History tends to repeat itself this way, but we'll see..

    That said , we need to assemble a our own big three if it is possible to take them down. I believe it will be the best way to get by Miami.


    Originally Posted by Red
    We on the other hand are in a different boat. We HAVE scorers. We even have a facilitator. We have NO SIZE and DEPTH.

    I include Landry Fields with missing depth as well as our Center and bench, because again we already have Scoring options. We NEED players at the 2 and 5 that do everything but score primarily. 50/50 balls, screens, defense, rebounds, box out, etc...

    Research those true Centers that do this, and the pattern seems that they are not cheap. EVEN MOZGOV cost $9MIL!!!!! (3per)

    You start adding a knock down shooter (unless you feel Fields is that), quality bench players, and the UNKNOWN money wise and bam!

    We can't make any valid argument (besides his skills are to our liking) as to why CP3 clamoring needs anymore attention. Its wishful thinking at best. But I've yet to see a non-personal, valid, stat driven argument that supports this cacophony of "we need CP3" posters.

    Make a valid, wholistic argument to support your ideas or save us the trouble and put it in a sig, then keep it moving.

    The rest just looks emotional. Tell us how CP3 takes us from 28th in defense, last in points per on D, and into the top ten on defense.
    If it can work financially somehow we need to make that deal for CP3 and then worry about getting other stop gap players as Miami has.

    As Miami has shown us you can get away with having vet minimum types, solid defense and 3 stars

    Why can't we do the same? IF, and this is a big if, as I now fully understand how the stars have to align for us to get PAUL, we can get him somehow WE HAVE TO DO IT. Miami as proven that they are the team to beat in the East for yrs to come and honestly IMO they will fine-tune their roster and become even better.

    This is why we need that 3rd max. I'm sorry Red, but this wholistically makes the most sense if you understand what it takes to win on the court. You have to build your team to beat the best. That's why we could never get past the Bulls in the 90's. We didn't have enough star power. At the moment, I do not believe we have enough to beat Miami in a playoff series. One 3-7 million dollar true center will not get us there. And as they continue to retool we will have to aswell. Getting CP3 is the next logical step.

    Defensively having a player like Paul just makes sense. He IS a two-way player unlike Nash as I pointed out above. This will help our defense. He also averages 3-4 steals a game which would lead to more easy transition baskets. He would help immensely with his mindset and leadership also. He would demand that Amare, Melo and others be there when they are supposed to help. Having him would minimize breakdowns as he would just not allow guys to lose focus or not give max effort. He's one of those guys that teammates fear. He is a dog in that way, like your Magics and your Jordans. So he would help us that way also.

    The above is my defensive analysis of Paul is based on what I've seen from him since he came in to the league Red. I really intuitively understand what it is I'm seeing on the court. You don't have to trust it, but that doesn't mean i'm not right on.
    Last edited by ronoranina; May 29, 2011 at 12:27.

  6. #36
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Honestly, I would rather focus on getting a very very good center. Maybe not D12 but someone very good.

    CP3's skill set can be replicated...Melo-Amare-Great Center can turn an above average PG into a very very very good PG. CP3-Melo-Amare does not turn an above average center into a very very very good center.
    I don't buy into that argument that putting great players around a PG somehow turns them into a better PG, like people think happened w Rondo.

    You either have it or you don't. Rondo is special. So is Paul. They bring what they bring and other PG's can't just easily replicate it as you say.
    Last edited by ronoranina; May 29, 2011 at 12:05.

  7. #37
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    I don't by into that argument that putting great players around a PG somehow turns them into a better PG, like people think happened w Rondo.

    You either have it or you don't. Rondo is special. So is Paul. They bring what they bring and other PG's can't just easily replicate that as you say.
    It comes down to what your role is...

    CP3's role on this team with Amare and Melo would be to make sure Amare and Melo are in position to get the best chance to score...I think an above average PG can do that adequately because of Amare and Melo's strong skills.

    Don't get me wrong, if we got CP3 I would be ecstatic...but it is not necessarily what we need immediately.

  8. #38
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    It comes down to what your role is...

    CP3's role on this team with Amare and Melo would be to make sure Amare and Melo are in position to get the best chance to score...I think an above average PG can do that adequately because of Amare and Melo's strong skills.

    Don't get me wrong, if we got CP3 I would be ecstatic...but it is not necessarily what we need immediately.
    Well we have Billups for now so yea, but my point is that we'll need CP3 eventually if we want to beat Miami.

    Addressing our immediate needs for bigs and acquiring some run o' the mill PG will not get us all the way there IMO.

  9. #39
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    8

    Nyk Logo

    MY MAJOR CONCERN


    can cp3 stay healthy or could this be another brandon roy with the knees?


    d12 has been pretty healthy.....fact

    if cp3 had a healthy history....... id probably lean more into his favor..

  10. #40
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    653
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I think with either player, we would be fine. If we get CP3 we would need a solid big man, which we can get. If we get d12 we need a solid pg, we we can get.

    I think either way we would be set. I still think we would need a more defensive minded approach to our system.

    My worry is the chemistry between STAT and D12. The sacrafices on their part would be so major that it would not justfy the being paid the max.

    Hey I could be wrong we could probably see something truly special. But CP3 here would actually improve chemistry and with a solid big man we would do fine.

    Either way we would be fine.

  11. #41
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,971
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    As a Jason Williams fan, I like to bring him up in conversations like this. He never made it on the All-Star team, but I consider him to be an exceptional PG. Not because of his flash, I consider it because his vision was on par with Paul and Nash. He didn't have the shooting of them, he didn't have the defense of Paul, but his passing and tempo is great. Imagine him in his prime with STAT and Melo. He wouldn't be getting near a max, but that might have elevated him to making it on the All-Star team.

    As far as players who are playing now...T-Mac seriously could get the job done as PG. Move Billups to the 2 or have T-Mac as the back-up.

    See, there's even point-forwards who could do what we could benefit greatly from. We know Chris Paul can score and play defense, but if we get a passer and a center plus a bunch, why spend another max? Especially since the passers out there can do more than pass.

    It's not like I'm saying any solid pass-first PG out there could become drastically better, guys like T-Mac are available and for a whole lot less.

    People wanted this trio before they got scared or "scared" of Miami, a lot of people are just fans of Chris Paul or fans of super trio teams.

    I'm a fan of Chris Paul, in fact I've been a fan of the Hornets since I was a kid, but me thinking this would be a bad move for the Knicks has nothing to do with that. I don't want ANY max. The ONLY third max I could see being understandable to take a chance on is Dwight Howard. If LeBron, Wade, and whoever else was available, I'd say no. Only Dwight. I'd still be in favor of not getting a max with him too.

    We can get perimeter defense. Monty Williams, the Hornets coach, is a defensive minded coach who learned under Gregg Popovich. Don't tell me it was just Chris Paul who could play defense on that team. That team had a good (for all I know about coaching, great) defensive plan, and Ariza played great defense on Kobe.

    If you people are scared, admit it. If you people are just fans of Chris Paul and that's why you want him in New York, admit it. There's nothing wrong with you wanting a player on your team because you're a fan. I have no problem with that all.

  12. #42
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    653
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Well here's the thing with me and I think 95% of this board will agree. Miami will be the team that will win more than one Championship. And with them in the East they are in a our way. Defense aside, we have to match them talent wise in our starting line up or have our best 5 match or exceed Miami's best 5.

    With the skill set that each of the big three bring, Its makes it difficult to guard the for 48 minutes. The Bulls did well every game for 45 to 46 minutes sometimes with double digit leads. But the last 2 to three minutes the best defense in the NBA couldnt stop Miami. So if you cant use your defense to to ice the the hot shooting of Miami in the closing minutes....you use fire against fire. You get offensive along with you defense.

    As great as Felton, Gallo, and Chandler was good for us. They've never been able to create their own shot on a consitent basis as we've seen them go against the Thunder. Stoudemire is great, but he can bruise onder the basket and or doesnt have the ball handle skills or body control to weave through traffic. There are rumors that we might get Rip Hamiltion. He's like Ray Allen but his creating is limited as well.

    We've seen this story before. Even with player like Larry Johnson and Allan Houston teaming with Ewing. They did not have the greatness of Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman are hall of famer. Ewing the only Hall of Famer since the 70s Knicks.

    Some here want the little engine that could Knick team. NYers love the underdog and love the chance to take down Goliath. In a best of 7 Goliath will always win.

    I want dominant team. I want what the 90s Bulls had, I what the Lakers had. More than Chauncey's Pistons, Hell I want more than Garnett's Celtics.

    We gotta go for the jugular. And if there are those that just want build a "more than solid" 12 man roster instead of a Epic 5 plus 2 solid and 1 decent player team then I all I can say to you is God Bless You but Im not riding with that and neither should the Knicks.

  13. #43
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    As a Jason Williams fan, I like to bring him up in conversations like this. He never made it on the All-Star team, but I consider him to be an exceptional PG. Not because of his flash, I consider it because his vision was on par with Paul and Nash. He didn't have the shooting of them, he didn't have the defense of Paul, but his passing and tempo is great. Imagine him in his prime with STAT and Melo. He wouldn't be getting near a max, but that might have elevated him to making it on the All-Star team.

    As far as players who are playing now...T-Mac seriously could get the job done as PG. Move Billups to the 2 or have T-Mac as the back-up.

    See, there's even point-forwards who could do what we could benefit greatly from. We know Chris Paul can score and play defense, but if we get a passer and a center plus a bunch, why spend another max? Especially since the passers out there can do more than pass.

    It's not like I'm saying any solid pass-first PG out there could become drastically better, guys like T-Mac are available and for a whole lot less.

    People wanted this trio before they got scared or "scared" of Miami, a lot of people are just fans of Chris Paul or fans of super trio teams.

    I'm a fan of Chris Paul, in fact I've been a fan of the Hornets since I was a kid, but me thinking this would be a bad move for the Knicks has nothing to do with that. I don't want ANY max. The ONLY third max I could see being understandable to take a chance on is Dwight Howard. If LeBron, Wade, and whoever else was available, I'd say no. Only Dwight. I'd still be in favor of not getting a max with him too.

    We can get perimeter defense. Monty Williams, the Hornets coach, is a defensive minded coach who learned under Gregg Popovich. Don't tell me it was just Chris Paul who could play defense on that team. That team had a good (for all I know about coaching, great) defensive plan, and Ariza played great defense on Kobe.

    If you people are scared, admit it. If you people are just fans of Chris Paul and that's why you want him in New York, admit it. There's nothing wrong with you wanting a player on your team because you're a fan. I have no problem with that all.
    First of all, you need to stop bringing up Jason Williams. He's way past his expiration date.

    Secondly, Why are you so hung up on people supposedly being scared??

    It makes sense when you see what Miami is able to do with three stars and not much else around them to think clearly about what we're going to need to beat them in a Playoff series.

    Saying we'll need more is not about being scared but rather being real about how we can go about building a team that can win a title.

    To do that we'll have to beat Miami so bringing up J. Williams and calling people scared is really not constructive at all.


    Originally Posted by Blumatic
    Well here's the thing with me and I think 95% of this board will agree. Miami will be the team that will win more than one Championship. And with them in the East they are in a our way. Defense aside, we have to match them talent wise in our starting line up or have our best 5 match or exceed Miami's best 5.

    With the skill set that each of the big three bring, Its makes it difficult to guard the for 48 minutes. The Bulls did well every game for 45 to 46 minutes sometimes with double digit leads. But the last 2 to three minutes the best defense in the NBA couldnt stop Miami. So if you cant use your defense to to ice the the hot shooting of Miami in the closing minutes....you use fire against fire. You get offensive along with you defense.

    As great as Felton, Gallo, and Chandler was good for us. They've never been able to create their own shot on a consitent basis as we've seen them go against the Thunder. Stoudemire is great, but he can bruise onder the basket and or doesnt have the ball handle skills or body control to weave through traffic. There are rumors that we might get Rip Hamiltion. He's like Ray Allen but his creating is limited as well.

    We've seen this story before. Even with player like Larry Johnson and Allan Houston teaming with Ewing. They did not have the greatness of Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman are hall of famer. Ewing the only Hall of Famer since the 70s Knicks.

    Some here want the little engine that could Knick team. NYers love the underdog and love the chance to take down Goliath. In a best of 7 Goliath will always win.

    I want dominant team. I want what the 90s Bulls had, I what the Lakers had. More than Chauncey's Pistons, Hell I want more than Garnett's Celtics.

    We gotta go for the jugular. And if there are those that just want build a "more than solid" 12 man roster instead of a Epic 5 plus 2 solid and 1 decent player team then I all I can say to you is God Bless You but Im not riding with that and neither should the Knicks.

    You get it Blumatic.

    It's like people around here want that old team from the 90's back that didn't get it done. ***k that little team that could BS.

    I don't want a team like that. I want a team w as much flexibility as possible, so we can win as many ways as possible. To do that you need great players. I want a dominant squad.

    To me Paul gives us that.

    Miami can beat you so many different ways because they have the flexibility that great players bring. It's not wrong in any way to want that for my Knicks.
    Last edited by ronoranina; May 29, 2011 at 20:35.

  14. #44
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,971
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    rono, I brought up Jason Williams since I know about him, I just used him as an example of a non-max player, but can get the job of what we need. I realize he retired, I'm not trying to hint to bring him in or anything.

    As far as being scared, I didn't mean it as an insult, nor am I saying it's wrong, what I meant is it is kind of a "panic" reaction, especially since they didn't even win.

    Blumatic, I understand how how you feel, but bringing up that 90s Knicks team with Larry Johnson, Houston, and Ewing isn't the best example. Larry Johnson wasn't that healthy, and Ewing didn't even play in the Finals. Also, the Bulls need another player to create for himself. We have more than enough options on offense. Rose is 22 as well.

    The thing is, we have a very good/great amount of cap after Billups contract is off the books.

    Now, let's take a look at next season, if there is a next season. The Heat have two superstars, and Bosh is an All-Star. Bosh playing with LeBron and Wade makes him even more of a threat, but if we get a good defender on him, and we have a good defensive team plan, we probably wouldn't have to worry about him too much. Now, on our side, we have STAT and Melo,...........and Chauncey Billups. He's gonna be 35 next season you say? Nash says hello.

    I'll admit, sometimes I don't think of us having "a big three", for whatever reason, because of Billups age, him having one year left on his contract, etc., but we do.

    Which brings me to:

    Billups is better than any of their PGs, and Melo has a history of one-upping LeBron.

    Hopefully next season, we get a center. Don't waste another year on hoping a rookie center or whoever can do it for us. Get DeAndre Jordan, Dalembert, somebody, just don't spend close to a max.

    Fast forward to the season after next:

    STAT
    Melo
    Our center
    Billups on a contract that's not much more than vet. minimum

    Billups new contract would be big for our cap. If he doesn't re-sign, which I would love if he did, we'd have some cap-space.

    I'm not saying I can predict the future. I'm not saying three maxes wouldn't work. I don't know that. What I do know is we have two superstars, an All-Star champion leader, and cap. We have options. We need a very smart passer. Somebody such as T-Mac would get that done. We don't need another max's scoring. We don't need a max player's perimeter defense when there's good/great perimeter defenders available for a LOT less.
    Last edited by RunningJumper; May 29, 2011 at 23:12.

  15. #45
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Cp3 wants to come to the Knicks and contrary to popular belief, I think we CAN afford him and complete our own version of the "Big Three". Because unlike the Melo sitiuation, Paul can be signed for a price considerably lower than Melo's because the maximum contracts are going to be significantly lower after this year's collective bargaining agreement. After this year, the top contracts will be a lot less lucrative than before. So i think CP3 is definitely going to be affordable for the Knicks.

Similar Threads

  1. Report: Chris Paul still wants to be traded
    By KnicksWillRiseAgain in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jul 28, 2010, 21:34
  2. The Official Chris Paul to the Knicks Thread
    By Toons in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jul 24, 2010, 14:36
  3. Chris Paul to Knicks?
    By LJ4ptplay in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: Apr 17, 2010, 19:28
  4. GOLD MAC 10 ends Paul vs Williams debate!!!
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: Mar 05, 2008, 19:06
  5. Vince Carter to the Knicks?
    By NYKnicks15 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: Feb 25, 2008, 17:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •