Knicks, Donnie Finally to get Deal Done

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
Report: Knicks, Donnie Walsh to finally get deal done

Kurt Helin
May 30, 2011, 10:16 AM EDT

donnie-walsh-president-of-basketball-operations-for-the-new-york-knicks-answers-questions-during-media-day-at-the-teams-training-facility-friday-sept-24-2010-in-greenburgh-n-y.jpeg
AP Remember all the drama about whether Donnie Walsh was going to have the extension on his contract picked up or be let go by the Knicks? Then it turned out he didn?t have the extension picked up because they planned to give him a new deal instead?
Except, he?s been on the job without a contract as the details never got worked out.
Well, it did finally get worked, according to Peter Vecsey with the New York Post.
Because the give and take was not completed until last week, I?m informed. Late changes were made by Walsh and approved by Dolan. Once Camp Cablevision?s required ?six signatures? (I don?t think my source was being facetious) are on the dotted line, apparently sometime this week, the deal will be done, if not publicized.
Clearly, the new arrangement will give Walsh the control to finish the Knicks? renovation the way he sees fit. If there was any uncertainty about that it would have demonstrated Dolan did not want him back. That would have shoved Walsh into retirement.
As we said before, Walsh hasn?t been perfect but he did get the team on solid financial footing while reworking the roster into one that actually made he playoffs. He deserved the chance to continue on the job.
The return of Walsh means Mike D?Antoni is safe as coach for now. Although, predicting anything within the Knicks can be a fool?s errand. Phil Jackson will not return to coach at the Garden, but expect tons of speculation about it if the Knicks struggle or don?t play enough defense.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The only news we've heard in weeks is great news!

Let's hope that he structures the roster to his liking and not out of 'the system's' :whatever:necessity. One more year of D'Antoni, look to 2012/2013, Donnie.

I hope he signs for 3 years at the very least, but presume it will be for 2 due to his on/off battle with his health.

Paul1355

All Star
Report: Knicks, Donnie Walsh to finally get deal done

Kurt Helin
May 30, 2011, 10:16 AM EDT

donnie-walsh-president-of-basketball-operations-for-the-new-york-knicks-answers-questions-during-media-day-at-the-teams-training-facility-friday-sept-24-2010-in-greenburgh-n-y.jpeg
AP Remember all the drama about whether Donnie Walsh was going to have the extension on his contract picked up or be let go by the Knicks? Then it turned out he didn?t have the extension picked up because they planned to give him a new deal instead?
Except, he?s been on the job without a contract as the details never got worked out.
Well, it did finally get worked, according to Peter Vecsey with the New York Post.
Because the give and take was not completed until last week, I?m informed. Late changes were made by Walsh and approved by Dolan. Once Camp Cablevision?s required ?six signatures? (I don?t think my source was being facetious) are on the dotted line, apparently sometime this week, the deal will be done, if not publicized.
Clearly, the new arrangement will give Walsh the control to finish the Knicks? renovation the way he sees fit. If there was any uncertainty about that it would have demonstrated Dolan did not want him back. That would have shoved Walsh into retirement.
As we said before, Walsh hasn?t been perfect but he did get the team on solid financial footing while reworking the roster into one that actually made he playoffs. He deserved the chance to continue on the job.
The return of Walsh means Mike D?Antoni is safe as coach for now. Although, predicting anything within the Knicks can be a fool?s errand. Phil Jackson will not return to coach at the Garden, but expect tons of speculation about it if the Knicks struggle or don?t play enough defense.

if walsh doesn't come back then the only positive out of it would be that Mike D would leave with him, but everyone including myself wants donnie back

He deserves to stay as long as he wants but his age limits him to about two years, which is what he will sig for.

STAT1

Starter
Good news, he did a good job!

Now get D'Antoni fired and hire someone who fits the ball alongside Donnie and H20.

I think he's done a good job getting a handle on the salary cap, got us 2 legitimate superstars to build around & he's made a couple of nice draft picks in Gallo & Fields, so he's definitely done a fine job. But honestly I don't think his hire of Mike D'Antoni was a good one at all to begin with & some of his minor roster acquisitions have been nothing to write home about. It would have been nice if his other acquisitions (Jordan Hill, Anthony Randolph, Corey Brewer, Darko Milicic) had actually been given a real chance to play rather than wasting roster moves on bringing them here only to be rid of them months later because our head coach had no use for them.

That said, the Knicks had to get this deal done. The plan he was hired to put into place needs to be seen to fruition. If after this contract the Knicks are still not a top tier team, then maybe it'll be time to seek other options.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Layden, Isiah, and Walsh = equal the same

Keeping Walsh is the same as keeping Isiah Thomas....
FOOLISHNESS!

Anyone of the members in this forum couldve done a helluva better job
than Donnie Walsh at lowing the cap....do to economic resession reasons.
Donnie Walsh had a better chance at getting an ice cold slush in HELL than
he did at getting Lebron or D.Wade to sign as a Knick with a NO-Defense
and NO-Strategy Celebrity coach Dantoni. A BIG Joke played on Knicks-Fans
for two "TANKING" seasons.

If Walsh wouldve FIRED the Dantoni-brothers at the start of the 2009-10
regular season with the "1-11 record start" I wouldve been happy to give
Walsh an extension as early as March.

P.S. Donnie Walsh is doing the same foolishness he did on the Indiana
Pacers, which caused the Pacers best headcoaches in 20 years to quit
the organization: Larry Brown/ Larry Bird/ and Rick Carlisle.
:smokin: :gony: :smokin: