Knicks Draft pick options

Wargames

Starter
Chad Ford Tweets:

Chad Ford Tweets:

Word beginning to trickle in from Knicks workout. Klay Thompson & Jimmer played 2-on-2 against Marshon Brooks and Darius Morris.

Sounds like it was Thompson-Jimmer that stood out. Both shot the lights out I’m told. No surprise there.

Knicks very positive on all 4 players. Sounds like it was a very good workout. Brooks very aggressive getting to the rim.

Some very good decisions in 2-on-2 by both Jimmer and Morris. They think Jimmer has bball IQ to be a PG in the NBA.

Sounds like Knicks would consider all 4 at 17. Doubt Thompson or Jimmer will be there. Workout may have been most important for Brooks.

Brooks has most to prove. Knicks sound like they really liked him.

Twitter Link

Wargames

Starter
TheHoopsReport Ryan Feldman tweets

Ryan Feldman Tweets:

TheHoopsReport Ryan Feldman
Marshon Brooks made 19-of-25 3-point attempts at the end of the Knicks workout today.
5 minutes ago

One source at the Knicks workout said Marshon Brooks was impressive with his 1-on-1 moves to create his own shots.
5 minutes ago

Source at Knicks workout said Gary McGhee played well on D and Denzel Bowles showed off athleticism but neither were great offensively.
6 minutes ago

One source from the Knicks workout today just told me he ranks the most impressive players as Klay Thompson "1a" and Marshon Brooks "1b."
7 minutes ago

One of the sources at the Knicks workout said Dairus Morris played good. Both sources said that Klay Thompson shot the ball really well.
9 minutes ago

Both sources at the Knicks workout also said that Marshon Brooks was very good and that Jimmer was solid/did well in spots.
10 minutes ago

Klay Thompson, Jimmer Fredette, Marshon Brooks, Darius Morris, Gary McGhee and Denzel Bowles worked out for the Knicks today.
12 minutes ago

I talked to 2 sources at the Knicks workout today. Both said Klay Thompson was most impressive.
12 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/TheHoopsReport

Last edited:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Dont know all that much on Brooks or Thompson but from the videos i saw on Brooks he looks NASTY! i still think we should go with a PG, Billups wont be around forever and its unlikely we get Paul. However, i wont be upset with Brooks

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
just read this on Shumpert; "Yes. His physical tools are off the charts" "Iman Shumpert apparently really stood out amongst the PG groups by being so much bigger and more athletic. People really liked him."

i think theres room for a player of his caliber on our squad

mafra

Legend
Thompson makes sense... Knicks really need a legit SG. Look at Harden now in OKC. Kid has come along, and who was calling for him in that draft 2 years ago?

I think there are SO many talent PGs in this draft, that the Knicks could afford to roll the dice and draft one later in the draft (if they're convinced they can procur a second draft pick).

My problem with Jimmer and Brooks is simple: DEFENSE.

ALSO, with Paul and Deron in the waiting room... Let's be honest... We either need a defensive presence with out #1 pick... or trade bait for Paul.

There you go, right?

I think it's 50/50. Do we draft a Jimmer or whatever talented PG falls to us at 17, hoping to showcase and flip to NO? Or do we go with Singleton or Shumpert... looking for a combo G or F, one who can play defense and compliment our dynamic duo.

Anyway... I believe a CENTER is our #1 goal. After that, a SG like Thompson makes sense. Or a combo guard like Jimmer or Shumpert.

mafra

Legend
FROM ROTOWORLD (via Newsday):

The Knicks may be interested in moving up in the draft to acquire Jimmer Fredette.

Fredette likes the Knicks and they, in return, apparently feel he has "Mark Price-like potential." This sounds like a longshot, since New York would have to cobble together an offer likely consisting of either Toney Douglas or Landry Fields along with the #17 pick.

Klay Thompson, a 6'7" sharpshooter out of Washington State, has caught the interest of the Knicks.

The Knicks hold the #17 pick and were impressed by Thompson during a recent workout -- he made 20-of-15 three-pointers during a drill and could spread the court effectively for Carmelo and Amare. There are a handful of other teams would could take Thompson prior to the Knicks (#17), including the Bucks, Warriors, Suns, and Pacers.

-------------
Not sure how you make 20 of 15 3s... Still, I definitely get that SG is a need. HOWEVER, I still doubt that we go for Thompson. Probably a smokescreen. Knicks traded for Brown... and could bring back Wilson Chandler.

Most likely, I sense that we go BIG. I just feel like Motiejunas or Singleton makes the most sense.

This Fredette is interesting, b/c if we feel he can dribble-pass and play PG... Then he just might be a target. Not that Jimmer is Curry (or Shumpert is T-Evans)... but both are sort of in those molds... and given we were high on those 2 in the past... This could be what we do.

Marek

Benchwarmer
Not sure how you make 20 of 15 3s...

lol...good catch. I'm pretty sure it's 20 of 25. That's what I read in a bunch of other articles.

The more I read about Jimmer, I start to come around a little more. I'm still not sold, but look at how good Stephen Curry turned out. Jimmer's pretty much the same kind of player. It might work. But I wouldn't go out of my way to move up in the draft for him.

-------

This Alan Hahn blog post notes that most of our top scouts, as well as Warkentien, are working on contracts that expire at the end of June. I don't like having influential decision makers making decisions without long-term motivation...
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom...n&feed:c=sports_blogs&feed:i=1.2929740&part=0

You seriously don't have Faried up there? Jimmer before faried!!!?

He's potentially the next Dennis Rodman!

Could be the next Rodman, but they said that when they drafted Balkman. Plus Faried is only 6-6. He's a serious tweener. I wouldnt be surprised if he dropped to the bottom of the first round...

LeFlume

All Star
There is NOTHING in this draft worth talking about. This is by far the worst draft class I have ever seen. No one and I mean NO ONE will make an impact in the NBA next season. There is No Kevin Durant. No Derrick Rose, No Blake Griffin, No John Wall, This draft class is just CRAP.. Not many of the guys in this class will ever see playing time in the NBA. D-leaguers all of them..

LeBron curse, Cleveland gets the number one pick when it's nothing there to pick...

There is NOTHING in this draft worth talking about. This is by far the worst draft class I have ever seen. No one and I mean NO ONE will make an impact in the NBA next season. There is No Kevin Durant. No Derrick Rose, No Blake Griffin, No John Wall, This draft class is just CRAP.. Not many of the guys in this class will ever see playing time in the NBA. D-leaguers all of them..

LeBron curse, Cleveland gets the number one pick when it's nothing there to pick...
Just because theres no potential stars in this draft doesn't mean there can't be some solid role players.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Faried, Brooks, or Selby either one of those and ill be great. they all play unique in their own way whether on the defensive/rebounding end or offensively and creating their own shot. let's be smart about this and evaluate each one of them closely and we'll be fine. one person i wish we stay away from is Federette i really think this dude is the wrong fit for us as he's not much outside of a scorer. Stay away as i highly doubt his game translates to the NBA he's undersized and has not PG skills and he doesnt do much of anything outside of score.

Faried. brooks, or Selby

mafra

Legend
lol...good catch. I'm pretty sure it's 20 of 25. That's what I read in a bunch of other articles.

The more I read about Jimmer, I start to come around a little more. I'm still not sold, but look at how good Stephen Curry turned out. Jimmer's pretty much the same kind of player. It might work. But I wouldn't go out of my way to move up in the draft for him.

-------

This Alan Hahn blog post notes that most of our top scouts, as well as Warkentien, are working on contracts that expire at the end of June. I don't like having influential decision makers making decisions without long-term motivation...
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom...n&feed:c=sports_blogs&feed:i=1.2929740&part=0

I felt Curry could be a PG b/c he was a solid passer in my book, and had great court vision. I don't know if Jimmer has those tools. He may. If he does, then he should be in the mix for our pick.

I do feel he would run the pick and roll better than Curry.

And we know D'ant doesn't mind lack of defensive ability.

Since Faried has no offense... cross him off the list.

mafra

Legend

Well, good news is in most drafts their aren't any locks after the first few picks. There will be a player or two who does well in the NBA... will we find that gem? Sort of like finding Fields.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah this draft is going to produce maybe 5 or 6 GOOD roleplayers and the remaining who manage to stay in the NBA will mostly be fringe roleplayers...not much of a draft...

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
This draft may not be the best, but who's to say these players don't have potential to better their game. Some of these athletes can be effective in the right team and role. Role players is a need the Knicks must surround Stat and Melo.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

The information this website gives is great, but not sure if I agree with where some players will be drafted.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Earlier I felt Marshon Brooks would be best but his weaknesses had me thinking different.
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/marshon-brooks

Strengths: Brooks gradually increased his scoring average in each of his four years at Providence, finishing his senior year second in the country in scoring at 24.6 points per game ... At 6'5, Brooks has nice size for an NBA two guard, but it's his length that should allow him to get his shot off at the next level ... He has an uncanny ability to create his own shot, using a variety of change of speed/hesitation dribble moves to create separation moving East/West or North/South ... He's proven capable of shooting both off the dribble and off catch and release situations, and has range out to the NBA three point line ... His first step allows him to get into the lane, where he displays impressive body control that allows him to hit off balance shots around the rim ... His long arms and high activity level also help contribute to 7 rebounds per game ... With his length and capable lateral quickness, Brooks has the potential to be an effective defender with more focus and NBA coaching...

Weaknesses: The ball has the tendency to stick to Brooks' hands, causing teammates to stand around forcing stagnant and one and done offensive possessions ... Doesn't show the best shot selection, and throws up too many unnecessary heat checks ... Physically he lacks the athleticism and explosiveness that most scoring NBA two-guards possess ... He averaged close to 18 field goal attempts per game, so his scoring average could be inflated due to his role in Providence's offense ... He won't have the opportunity to dominate the ball in the pros the way he does in college, so adjusting his spacing and adapting to his teammates could be a challenge for him in a new role ... His body has good length but lacks great bulk/strength ... Needs to put forth more intensity and effort on the defensive end ...

Klay Thompson seem to know his role and can be a third scoring option.
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/klay-thompson

Strengths: One of the top pure shooters on the college level ... Prolific outside shooter with a defined role for the NBA level ... Right hander who at 6'6 with long arms has good size for the NBA 2-guard position ... Shows an excellent feel having been around the game his entire life. Understands his limitations and plays within his game well ... Plays well off the ball. Stays active. Works hard to create scoring opportunities. Understands how to create shots for himself off the ball coming off screens ... Very good spot up shooter ... Comfortable handling the ball and can use the dribble to create shots ... Can use his left hand effectively ... Shows an advanced in between game with tear drops and the use of the glass ... Effectively uses pump fakes to draw defenders off balance ... Has perfect form on his shot and deep range. Squares to the basket. Quick, concise, fluid stroke with a high release ... Gets his shot off quickly and can do so without needing much space ... Exhibits prudent shot selection ... Large wingspan allows him to play more athletic than he appears. Can dunk on his defenders if he catches opponents napping ... Solid decision maker with a positive a/to ratio ... 1.6 steals per game as a senior showed his progression as a defender / anticipation ... Extremely level headed, doesn't show a great deal of emotion or get rattled easily ...

Weaknesses:
An average athlete who plays below the rim ... He's a "momentum athlete" in the sense that he shows solid athleticism when he has momentum moving towards the rim ... Much better in the half court than in the open floor. His lack of elite athleticism gets exposed in the transition game ... Lacks great foot speed which inhibits his ability to take the ball off the dribble against quick defenders ... Received a one game suspension due to a marijuana possession charge, but scouts don't seem too concerned about that therefore it hasn't affected his stock much ... Long, athletic defenders can give him trouble ...

Wargames

Starter
It seems iike klay and brooks are the top two prospects and about equal at this point with klay being more of a shooter and brooks being more of a slasher.

Also i heard Allan Houston is going to be the gm of NY's Official D league team. The Erie Bayhawks. Having a League team makes a lot of sense going forward since with the lower CBA, D league talent will be more appreciated due to the cost. It also will mean the knicks won't be stuck like last year with J Jordan playing overseas when the Knicks needed him after the trade.

Also this is great experience for Houston.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
one person ive really started to like is Iman shumpert dude has game and reminds me a lot of nick young only with PG skills. i love em. he plays tough on 10 as he was top 10 in steals. solid player with potential. Putting him into this situation to play alongside Billups in some instants of the game and to learn from billups will go along way for him, not to mention playing with STAT and Melo every night so he has no pressure on him whatsoever. he's shot up my draft boards and im really high on em, my pick is now between either him or Shelby both will be solid NBA players, and i believe if thrown into the right situations they could be Rondo-esque with how they burst onto the scene. We MUST go with a PG here only way im not is if Biyomo falls miraculously to us at 17 then its a no brainer we take em. otherwise im looking at Shelby and Shumpert as the leading candidates with Morris on the outside looking in.

Marek

Benchwarmer
Tommy Dee of TheKnicksBlog has a source that says Marshon Brooks's workouts have not looked good. Brooks is "brutal defensively."

Not sure I go for that. This is the one and only source of negativity I've heard regarding Marshon Brooks. Not hard to believe, though. Brooks doesn't exactly come from a defensive system that translates well to the NBA.