Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knicks Draft pick options

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    Brooks, Thompson, Jimmer in that order. If we have a choice of the three I dont think we go wrong with either. Brooks got crazy game though...
    You seriously don't have Faried up there? Jimmer before faried!!!?

He's potentially the next Dennis Rodman!

Originally Posted by ducktales17

Too be honest i don't think Faried will be there when we pick, we should buy a another draft pick and draft Marshon Brooks and Charles Jenkins.

Superstar

Default Draft

This is an odd draft. There are no LeBron like super stars and apparently not an awful lot separating number 5s from number 20s. We have got to get lucky with our pick whoever that may be.

We desperately need a big and in that regard I am totally on board with Red. But there is not much in this draft at the 5 spot that will be there at 17 and that is too early to take a chance on a Jeremy Tyler or a Lucas Noquiero. We need to buy or trade for another pick. Perhaps Minnesota's 20 will be available.

The Brazilian, Noquiero, could be a defensive force. He is a seven footer with great athleticism. He may have an attitude problem and could be a bust. Let's take a chance, perhaps we will get lucky.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ], 6'4, Junior, Guard, Georgia Tech
    17.0 Points, 6.1 Rebounds, 3.5 Assists, 2.8 Steals, 2.4 Turnovers, 39.9% FG, 25.5% FT, 82% FT

Icon SMI

Matt Kamalsky

A former McDonald's All-American, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] has played a prominent role in Georgia Tech's backcourt since stepping on campus as a freshman. A combo guard with a scorer's mentality, Shumpert attempted to find a balance between shooting and passing playing next to the likes of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] as an underclassman. Now a junior, Shumpert has gotten the opportunity to shoulder the offensive load as the clear cut first option for Paul Hewitt's rebuilding Yellow Jackets, seeing his shot attempts per-40 minutes skyrocket from 11.3 last season to 17.3 this season. Despite reinforcing many of our conceptions about his weaknesses offensively, this has been a breakout season on a number of levels for the Illinois native.

As we've stated in past reports, the intrigue around Shumpert as a potential NBA player revolves around his exceptional physical profile for a player seeing time at the point guard position. Standing 6'4 with an extremely rangy frame, Shumpert is fluid, agile, deceptively quick, and an explosive two-foot leaper.

Though Shumpert has certainly played quite a bit of point guard throughout his career at Georgia Tech, he's spent more time off the ball recently. In his first two years in Atlanta, he struggled with his shot selection, liked to dominate the ball, and proved fairly turnover prone looking to set the table for others. Now forced to score out of necessity as a junior, Shumpert's passing numbers have declined, but he's turning the ball over far less, getting to the line quite a bit more, and has gotten more and more efficient as the season has gone on, even if his sub 40% shooting remains disconcerting.

He still has a significant amount of work ahead of him in terms of learning how to play winning basketball—as evidenced by the lackluster season is Georgia Tech is having (11-14 overall, 3-8 in ACC), but we have seen some progress individually on Shumpert's part, even if it's been mostly in a losing effort. Georgia Tech's degenerate offense has plenty to do with this obviously, but Shumpert can't escape criticism for how bad his team looks in the half-court, since he's often the main culprit.

Shumpert's desire to have the ball in his hands, his team's need for leadership, and the subtle improvements he's made offensively have regardless generated a number of extremely impressive performances from the young guard, including a 30 point outburst against UNC and a recent 27 point outing against Virginia Tech.

Still a streaky perimeter scorer, Shumpert is far too reliant on his jump shooting ability, and often looks to pull-up when he puts the ball on the floor. 68% of his shot attempts are of the jump-shot variety, but he knocks down just 28.4% of them, and gets even worse when pulling up off the dribble, making 19.5% of his pull-up attempts. While he's hitting his free throws at a very respectable rate, Shumpert's shooting still haven't caught up with his solid mechanics and remain by far his biggest weakness, especially when you look at the way he operates on the floor sometimes—usually taking the first shot available to him, regardless of whether it's a good or bad attempt.

Shumpert's most consistent contributions come in transition, where he can use his speed and first step most effectively. A solid finisher who has become more adept at drawing contact and finishing plays himself instead of forcing tough passes, Shumpert still flashes good court vision on occasion, but has a great deal of room to improve offensively on the whole.

The same can't be said for his play on the defensive end, where he has absolutely flourished this season. Combining excellent length and lateral quickness with good intensity, Shumpert is simply exceptional one-on-one, rebounds the ball at an outrageous rate for a guard, and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] by a pretty considerable margin. Extremely active with his hands and feet, Shumpert does a great job maintaining his balance and denying penetration and has the physical tools to defend multiple positions in the NBA.

While Shumpert certainly hasn't had a stellar offensive season despite his productivity, he's made a lot of key improvements in other areas. If he lands on a team with a coach that can help him hone his shot selection, eliminate the inefficient parts of his game (mainly his stubborn insistence for settling for pull-up jumpers), and play to his strengths, the improvements he's made as a slasher, rebounder, and defender could make him a very useful player at the NBA level.

Though he projects as a roleplayer due to his lack of jump shooting ability and pure point guard play, Shumpert has the ability to compete with any guard in the country in workouts on a good day, and is a clear-cut sleeper prospect to watch should he enter the draft.

From DraftExpress.com [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

^^^
    This Ga Tech PG (and they've had some good ones) is the perfect combo guard for this team. He's a BIG PG and is physically gifted. He dominated the combine... [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] ... The best standing and max vertical leap, 3rd best bench press (1 behind leader), which proves this kid is explosive and strong.

This prospect does 2 things (Think Rondo meets T-Evans)... He steps in immediately and serves as the understudy to Billups. Along with T-Douglas, the Knicks would have a fierce second strong backcourt. Two players that compliment each other, who'll step in next year and DEFEND. AND, oh yeah... he rebounds!

IS excels on the break... A good thing. WE WILL TEACH HIM to shoot better. That will come.

CHRIS SINGLETON or Donatas Motiejunas would be my first option. Forget the SF thing... We need a LEBRON STOPPER! Chris is BY FAR the best defensive player in this draft. Motiejunas is the perfect 7-footer for D'antoni's offense.

We have to remember... We have enough scoring. Amar'e and 'Melo need players that compliment them... we need to fill-out the roster and build a team.

OBVIOUS needs are:

CENTER
    SNIPER
    WING DEFENDER

I would say PG, but we have Billups and we're looking at bringing in Paul or Deron after next season.

So this leaves us with what?

We can take the best big on the board. We could draft the prospect with the most talent/upside (looking to trade him for Paul eventually), we could look for the best shooter, or we look for the most complete player to play alongside our maxed-out, dynamic duo.

IMHO... Motiejunas, Singleton and Shumpert are those options.

Knicks should then BUY another late first or 2nd rounder... and fill out the other need (menaing if we go big at 17 then find a guard, and if we go guard at 17 then find a big).

Kenneth Faried Charles Jenkins, Reggie Jackson, Darius Morris, Nolan Smith and Shelvin Mack are some others options we could look at with our picks (if we get an extra selection.

FINAL CONCLUSIONS: Let's hope Motiejunas or Singleton is there at 17. If not, we could look at Faried (but a frontcourt of Melo, Amare and Faried is TOO small). So, I would pass on the prolithic, high-energy rebounder and go G. We could even look at SG here... Personally, I would go for Shump. If we get our big at 17, then hope Shump or another PG I mentioned above is there late first/early 2nd... go get him.

Default Chad Ford Tweets:

Chad Ford Tweets:

Word beginning to trickle in from Knicks workout. Klay Thompson & Jimmer played 2-on-2 against Marshon Brooks and Darius Morris.

Sounds like it was Thompson-Jimmer that stood out. Both shot the lights out I’m told. No surprise there.

Knicks very positive on all 4 players. Sounds like it was a very good workout. Brooks very aggressive getting to the rim.

Some very good decisions in 2-on-2 by both Jimmer and Morris. They think Jimmer has bball IQ to be a PG in the NBA.

Sounds like Knicks would consider all 4 at 17. Doubt Thompson or Jimmer will be there. Workout may have been most important for Brooks.

Brooks has most to prove. Knicks sound like they really liked him.

Default TheHoopsReport Ryan Feldman tweets

Ryan Feldman Tweets:

TheHoopsReport Ryan Feldman
    Marshon Brooks made 19-of-25 3-point attempts at the end of the Knicks workout today.
    5 minutes ago

One source at the Knicks workout said Marshon Brooks was impressive with his 1-on-1 moves to create his own shots.
    5 minutes ago

Source at Knicks workout said Gary McGhee played well on D and Denzel Bowles showed off athleticism but neither were great offensively.
    6 minutes ago

One source from the Knicks workout today just told me he ranks the most impressive players as Klay Thompson "1a" and Marshon Brooks "1b."
    7 minutes ago

One of the sources at the Knicks workout said Dairus Morris played good. Both sources said that Klay Thompson shot the ball really well.
    9 minutes ago

Both sources at the Knicks workout also said that Marshon Brooks was very good and that Jimmer was solid/did well in spots.
    10 minutes ago

Klay Thompson, Jimmer Fredette, Marshon Brooks, Darius Morris, Gary McGhee and Denzel Bowles worked out for the Knicks today.
    12 minutes ago

I talked to 2 sources at the Knicks workout today. Both said Klay Thompson was most impressive.
    12 minutes ago

Last edited by Wargames; Jun 02, 2011 at 15:12.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Dont know all that much on Brooks or Thompson but from the videos i saw on Brooks he looks NASTY! i still think we should go with a PG, Billups wont be around forever and its unlikely we get Paul. However, i wont be upset with Brooks

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

just read this on Shumpert; "Yes. His physical tools are off the charts" "Iman Shumpert apparently really stood out amongst the PG groups by being so much bigger and more athletic. People really liked him."

i think theres room for a player of his caliber on our squad

Thompson makes sense... Knicks really need a legit SG. Look at Harden now in OKC. Kid has come along, and who was calling for him in that draft 2 years ago?

I think there are SO many talent PGs in this draft, that the Knicks could afford to roll the dice and draft one later in the draft (if they're convinced they can procur a second draft pick).

My problem with Jimmer and Brooks is simple: DEFENSE.

ALSO, with Paul and Deron in the waiting room... Let's be honest... We either need a defensive presence with out #1 pick... or trade bait for Paul.

There you go, right?

I think it's 50/50. Do we draft a Jimmer or whatever talented PG falls to us at 17, hoping to showcase and flip to NO? Or do we go with Singleton or Shumpert... looking for a combo G or F, one who can play defense and compliment our dynamic duo.

Anyway... I believe a CENTER is our #1 goal. After that, a SG like Thompson makes sense. Or a combo guard like Jimmer or Shumpert.

FROM ROTOWORLD (via Newsday):

The Knicks may be interested in moving up in the draft to acquire Jimmer Fredette.

Fredette likes the Knicks and they, in return, apparently feel he has "Mark Price-like potential." This sounds like a longshot, since New York would have to cobble together an offer likely consisting of either Toney Douglas or Landry Fields along with the #17 pick.

Klay Thompson, a 6'7" sharpshooter out of Washington State, has caught the interest of the Knicks.

The Knicks hold the #17 pick and were impressed by Thompson during a recent workout -- he made 20-of-15 three-pointers during a drill and could spread the court effectively for Carmelo and Amare. There are a handful of other teams would could take Thompson prior to the Knicks (#17), including the Bucks, Warriors, Suns, and Pacers.

-------------
    Not sure how you make 20 of 15 3s... Still, I definitely get that SG is a need. HOWEVER, I still doubt that we go for Thompson. Probably a smokescreen. Knicks traded for Brown... and could bring back Wilson Chandler.

Most likely, I sense that we go BIG. I just feel like Motiejunas or Singleton makes the most sense.

This Fredette is interesting, b/c if we feel he can dribble-pass and play PG... Then he just might be a target. Not that Jimmer is Curry (or Shumpert is T-Evans)... but both are sort of in those molds... and given we were high on those 2 in the past... This could be what we do.

Originally Posted by mafra
    Not sure how you make 20 of 15 3s...
    lol...good catch. I'm pretty sure it's 20 of 25. That's what I read in a bunch of other articles.

The more I read about Jimmer, I start to come around a little more. I'm still not sold, but look at how good Stephen Curry turned out. Jimmer's pretty much the same kind of player. It might work. But I wouldn't go out of my way to move up in the draft for him.

-------

This Alan Hahn blog post notes that most of our top scouts, as well as Warkentien, are working on contracts that expire at the end of June. I don't like having influential decision makers making decisions without long-term motivation...

Originally Posted by ducktales17

Could be the next Rodman, but they said that when they drafted Balkman. Plus Faried is only 6-6. He's a serious tweener. I wouldnt be surprised if he dropped to the bottom of the first round...

There is NOTHING in this draft worth talking about. This is by far the worst draft class I have ever seen. No one and I mean NO ONE will make an impact in the NBA next season. There is No Kevin Durant. No Derrick Rose, No Blake Griffin, No John Wall, This draft class is just CRAP.. Not many of the guys in this class will ever see playing time in the NBA. D-leaguers all of them..

LeBron curse, Cleveland gets the number one pick when it's nothing there to pick...

Originally Posted by LeFlume
    There is NOTHING in this draft worth talking about. This is by far the worst draft class I have ever seen. No one and I mean NO ONE will make an impact in the NBA next season. There is No Kevin Durant. No Derrick Rose, No Blake Griffin, No John Wall, This draft class is just CRAP.. Not many of the guys in this class will ever see playing time in the NBA. D-leaguers all of them..

LeBron curse, Cleveland gets the number one pick when it's nothing there to pick...
    Just because theres no potential stars in this draft doesn't mean there can't be some solid role players.