Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knicks Draft pick options

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Faried, Brooks, or Selby either one of those and ill be great. they all play unique in their own way whether on the defensive/rebounding end or offensively and creating their own shot. let's be smart about this and evaluate each one of them closely and we'll be fine. one person i wish we stay away from is Federette i really think this dude is the wrong fit for us as he's not much outside of a scorer. Stay away as i highly doubt his game translates to the NBA he's undersized and has not PG skills and he doesnt do much of anything outside of score.

Faried. brooks, or Selby

Originally Posted by Marek
    lol...good catch. I'm pretty sure it's 20 of 25. That's what I read in a bunch of other articles.

The more I read about Jimmer, I start to come around a little more. I'm still not sold, but look at how good Stephen Curry turned out. Jimmer's pretty much the same kind of player. It might work. But I wouldn't go out of my way to move up in the draft for him.

-------

This Alan Hahn blog post notes that most of our top scouts, as well as Warkentien, are working on contracts that expire at the end of June. I don't like having influential decision makers making decisions without long-term motivation...
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I felt Curry could be a PG b/c he was a solid passer in my book, and had great court vision. I don't know if Jimmer has those tools. He may. If he does, then he should be in the mix for our pick.

I do feel he would run the pick and roll better than Curry.

And we know D'ant doesn't mind lack of defensive ability.

Since Faried has no offense... cross him off the list.

Originally Posted by LeFlume
    There is NOTHING in this draft worth talking about. This is by far the worst draft class I have ever seen. No one and I mean NO ONE will make an impact in the NBA next season. There is No Kevin Durant. No Derrick Rose, No Blake Griffin, No John Wall, This draft class is just CRAP.. Not many of the guys in this class will ever see playing time in the NBA. D-leaguers all of them..

LeBron curse, Cleveland gets the number one pick when it's nothing there to pick...
    Well, good news is in most drafts their aren't any locks after the first few picks. There will be a player or two who does well in the NBA... will we find that gem? Sort of like finding Fields.

Veteran

Yeah this draft is going to produce maybe 5 or 6 GOOD roleplayers and the remaining who manage to stay in the NBA will mostly be fringe roleplayers...not much of a draft...

near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG

This draft may not be the best, but who's to say these players don't have potential to better their game. Some of these athletes can be effective in the right team and role. Role players is a need the Knicks must surround Stat and Melo.

The information this website gives is great, but not sure if I agree with where some players will be drafted.

near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG

Earlier I felt Marshon Brooks would be best but his weaknesses had me thinking different.

Strengths: Brooks gradually increased his scoring average in each of his four years at Providence, finishing his senior year second in the country in scoring at 24.6 points per game ... At 6'5, Brooks has nice size for an NBA two guard, but it's his length that should allow him to get his shot off at the next level ... He has an uncanny ability to create his own shot, using a variety of change of speed/hesitation dribble moves to create separation moving East/West or North/South ... He's proven capable of shooting both off the dribble and off catch and release situations, and has range out to the NBA three point line ... His first step allows him to get into the lane, where he displays impressive body control that allows him to hit off balance shots around the rim ... His long arms and high activity level also help contribute to 7 rebounds per game ... With his length and capable lateral quickness, Brooks has the potential to be an effective defender with more focus and NBA coaching...

Weaknesses: The ball has the tendency to stick to Brooks' hands, causing teammates to stand around forcing stagnant and one and done offensive possessions ... Doesn't show the best shot selection, and throws up too many unnecessary heat checks ... Physically he lacks the athleticism and explosiveness that most scoring NBA two-guards possess ... He averaged close to 18 field goal attempts per game, so his scoring average could be inflated due to his role in Providence's offense ... He won't have the opportunity to dominate the ball in the pros the way he does in college, so adjusting his spacing and adapting to his teammates could be a challenge for him in a new role ... His body has good length but lacks great bulk/strength ... Needs to put forth more intensity and effort on the defensive end ...

Klay Thompson seem to know his role and can be a third scoring option.

Strengths: One of the top pure shooters on the college level ... Prolific outside shooter with a defined role for the NBA level ... Right hander who at 6'6 with long arms has good size for the NBA 2-guard position ... Shows an excellent feel having been around the game his entire life. Understands his limitations and plays within his game well ... Plays well off the ball. Stays active. Works hard to create scoring opportunities. Understands how to create shots for himself off the ball coming off screens ... Very good spot up shooter ... Comfortable handling the ball and can use the dribble to create shots ... Can use his left hand effectively ... Shows an advanced in between game with tear drops and the use of the glass ... Effectively uses pump fakes to draw defenders off balance ... Has perfect form on his shot and deep range. Squares to the basket. Quick, concise, fluid stroke with a high release ... Gets his shot off quickly and can do so without needing much space ... Exhibits prudent shot selection ... Large wingspan allows him to play more athletic than he appears. Can dunk on his defenders if he catches opponents napping ... Solid decision maker with a positive a/to ratio ... 1.6 steals per game as a senior showed his progression as a defender / anticipation ... Extremely level headed, doesn't show a great deal of emotion or get rattled easily ...

Weaknesses:
    An average athlete who plays below the rim ... He's a "momentum athlete" in the sense that he shows solid athleticism when he has momentum moving towards the rim ... Much better in the half court than in the open floor. His lack of elite athleticism gets exposed in the transition game ... Lacks great foot speed which inhibits his ability to take the ball off the dribble against quick defenders ... Received a one game suspension due to a marijuana possession charge, but scouts don't seem too concerned about that therefore it hasn't affected his stock much ... Long, athletic defenders can give him trouble ...

It seems iike klay and brooks are the top two prospects and about equal at this point with klay being more of a shooter and brooks being more of a slasher.

Also i heard Allan Houston is going to be the gm of NY's Official D league team. The Erie Bayhawks. Having a League team makes a lot of sense going forward since with the lower CBA, D league talent will be more appreciated due to the cost. It also will mean the knicks won't be stuck like last year with J Jordan playing overseas when the Knicks needed him after the trade.

Also this is great experience for Houston.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

one person ive really started to like is Iman shumpert dude has game and reminds me a lot of nick young only with PG skills. i love em. he plays tough on 10 as he was top 10 in steals. solid player with potential. Putting him into this situation to play alongside Billups in some instants of the game and to learn from billups will go along way for him, not to mention playing with STAT and Melo every night so he has no pressure on him whatsoever. he's shot up my draft boards and im really high on em, my pick is now between either him or Shelby both will be solid NBA players, and i believe if thrown into the right situations they could be Rondo-esque with how they burst onto the scene. We MUST go with a PG here only way im not is if Biyomo falls miraculously to us at 17 then its a no brainer we take em. otherwise im looking at Shelby and Shumpert as the leading candidates with Morris on the outside looking in.

Would be happy with the pick of Faried, Thompson, Darius Morris, or Brooks

Tommy Dee of TheKnicksBlog has a source that says Marshon Brooks's workouts have not looked good. Brooks is "brutal defensively."

Not sure I go for that. This is the one and only source of negativity I've heard regarding Marshon Brooks. Not hard to believe, though. Brooks doesn't exactly come from a defensive system that translates well to the NBA.

Tommy Dee of TheKnicksBlog has a source that says Marshon Brooks's workouts have not looked good. Brooks is "brutal defensively."

Not sure I go for that. This is the one and only source of negativity I've heard regarding Marshon Brooks. Not hard to believe, though. Brooks doesn't exactly come from a defensive system that translates well to the NBA.
    Kenneth Faried anyone?

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

All these guys mentioned here seem like good role players but none with starter potential.

I would take a chance and go for a big guy like Vucevic or Biyombo to pair through free agency with Dalembert in the middle. Thats our biggest weakness right now and we shouldnt waste the pick on someone in the 3 or 4 spots.

Cleveland and Minnesota will probably have a spare point guard after the draft (Sessions or Flynn/Ridnour). These would be solid additions to go with Chauncey for next season and we should have a chance to bring in one of them. That would be much better than bringing in a rookie.

Chauncey and maybe Fields will be trade bait for someone like Paul or Howard come February.

Superstar

I like Tommy Dee and his blog a lot, I think he always does a real nice job, but I respectfully disagree with him on Brooks. I get the feeling he's been down on Brooks right from the beginning, particularly focused on Brooks' perceived lack of defense and how he supposedly doesn't use his athleticism and length to his advantage defensively (which is complete fabrication btw -- more on that in a sec.). Hey, dude has a right to his opinion, I just don't share it. Brooks was a direct product of what that Providence coaching staff asked him to do. They wanted him to score the ball, not distribute. Distribute to who exactly??? That's my thing -- his teammates were not on his level, simple as that. He was a man among boys on that Friar team. The Providence coaching staff knew this and wanted him to take the majority of the team's shots (which he converted at 48.3% btw, an excellent number)..All by design. Brooks has been telling people this in his draft interviews. I believe him because I watched him play closely quite a few times this past year. Asking Brooks to continually give up the ball on that team would've been like asking Amar'e or Melo to continually defer to Jared Jeffries on offense last year. Not saying Brooks is Carmelo Anthony, he's not -- point is that's kinda what the talent gap felt like between Brooks and his teammates. I just don't buy the selfish tag -- if you watched this guy closely, you saw that he handled the ball often (and handled it well) and willingly moved it to the open man. Definitely wasn't the complete ball-hog he's been made out to be.

And I really don't get the comments about how he doesn't use his length and athleticism to his advantage on defense. In addition to the deluxe scoring and rebounding for a guard (7 rebs a game, another real solid number just like his overall shooting %), the guy averaged 1.5 steals and 1.2 blks per. That's outstanding for a 2G. Alec Burks, a SG many still have rated much higher than Brooks, didn't put up those type of numbers across the board. Jamal Crawford, the NBA player Brooks probably resembles most, doesn't put up rebounding and defense #s like that...Not sure what Tommy's talking about but I think those solid numbers ARE DIRECTLY RELATED to his length and athleticism, esp. the shot-blocks. And I think he can even improve upon them at the next level, as he continues to grow and improve and once he finds out that he won't have to been the man for his NBA team offensively all the time...There were many college centers around the country that didn't average 1.2 blocks a game, guys, let's be honest... I think all those numbers -- the scoring on a good shooting %, the rebounding, the steals, the blocks -- all make a case that this guy could have a very well-rounded game at the next level as he continues to improve. And he amassed all this production in probably the toughest conference in the NCAA. Let's not forget that part...We're talking Big East basketball here..

Just going the conservative route with the projection, this guy's AT LEAST Jamal Crawford in the NBA with a very good chance to be even more than that. I think his role gets confused by people when thinking about him on the Knicks..He wouldn't be a guy that comes here to steal thunder away from our big 2---rather, he enhances our big 2. He'd be a guy off the bench to come in and add offensive punch whenever necessary (esp if Fields didn't have it that night) and then a guy who would allow D'Antoni to rest Amar'e or Melo for long stretches (maybe even both at the same time provided we really improve the bench like I want to see) while still having a bonafide offensive threat on the floor. That could go a long, long way in keeping our 2 big guns fresh come playoff time (it wasn't fun watching Amar'e break down in that series against the Celtics)..I think worst case, he'll do what Jamal Crawford does for the Hawks. And that's minimum..I personally think Brooks could be a hell of a lot more than that in the NBA...The evidence is all right there to see..

My only fear now is that he won't be there at 17. Supposedly the Bucks just worked him out and like him a lot (again, not sure what Tommy's hearing):

I don't think it's that much of a stretch that the Bucks could take him 10th. I think he's that good. Cleveland took Jamal Crawford 8th overall in 2000 and this guy's a better player with more potential. I just hope he slips past the Bucks. If he does, we have a good chance at getting him.

There are others I wouldn't be upset about if we took them at 17 (Nikola Vucevic, Kenneth Faried, Klay Thompson) but to me, Brooks is still the best fit for us there. Watch, my luck, he'll be there and we won't take him..LOL...
    Last edited by finestrg; Jun 15, 2011 at 15:20.

What about Jeremy Tyler? Could he last to 17?

Veteran

Many drafts don't have Jeremy Tyler going until the 2nd round...but I have always believed, and still do believe, that you take the best player available.