BREAKING NEWS: Knicks announce Donnie Walsh leaving as Knicks President

Hayato

Benchwarmer
theres no way they bring back isiah..how? did they not see the debacle we were with him? and how we turned it around with walsh? dantoni better b gone

Hayato

Benchwarmer
i dont understand how dolan could want isiah over walsh..old sick man (walsh) or not. it just doesnt make sense...they cant be considering isiah..

finestrg

Rotation player
TommyDeeTKB on twitter:

Source tells TKB Walsh was "caught off guard" when informed by Dolan that he wouldn't come to terms...one of the bigger issues was media.

Dolan wanted Walsh to avoid media more. Walsh declined...

Wow. Just...WOW...He's the ****ing GM of the team -- he needs to touch base with the media on ocassion...Dude made himself accessible w/o going overboard, at least that's how I saw it..I don't ever remember Donnie pulling a Mark Cuban out there...This is why they severed ties? Donnie's involvement with the damn media??? Gotta be more to it than this..

All I know is that we had the best GM this team has seen in a LONG, LONG time and Jimmy went and ****ed it up GOOD.

I love this team, truly, but I'm with some of you -- if Isaiah comes back, I really might lose interest...

I know they said Grunwald for now, but what do you guys see happening long-term now? Warkentien? H2O? Gabriel?? Outside the organization? Kevin Pritchard? Tom Penn? Rich Cho??? Jesus, what a mess...Thanks a lot Jimmy. Was having a real nice day too...

Marek

Benchwarmer
I wonder if this has been on the cards since DW's option wasn't exercised at the end of April. If DW had to go (how ever he has left - I wonder exactly how mutual it was) I'm kinda glad he's sticking around as a consultant as hes been around the league for years which can only be beneficial to whoever comes in as GM.

Donnie Walsh is an old school professional. Even if it was an ugly break up, you'll never find out through Donnie. This "consulting" thing could very well be PR and nothing more.

Donnie's going from That Dude to having no power. Having Donnie as a consultant doesn't work if Allen Houston becomes the puppet GM and Dolan pulls a bunch of BS to ruin the team. Donnie has no veto power anymore.

:barf:

Welcome to the Knicks, where BULLSHIT happens!

What next? Isiah as GM and a 4 year contract extention for D'Antoni?

Oh let's sign Jerome James on a MLE and trade our next 2 first round picks for Thabeet...

Bullshit man, Donnie wasn't perfect but he was the only one who actually used his brains on the Knicks.

If Isiah is our GM next year and D'Antoni gets an extension I'm done with the Knicks!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
This is actually not that surprising to me. The Melo deal stunk of Dolan. There was no way the patient, poker-face, Donnie Walsh would have f*cked up that deal so badly like that. Only the idiot Dolan could pull something like that.

When Dolan raised ticket prices 49% only 1 week after the deal I knew it was him. It was about money, that's it.

I said this 2 days before the Melo deal went down: "Melo's greed and Dolan's stupidity are going to ruin any chances of the Knicks winning a championship."

This franchise is forever doomed as long as Dolan is the owner.

Marek

Benchwarmer
Wow. Just...WOW...He's the ****ing GM of the team -- he needs to touch base with the media on ocassion...Dude made himself accessible w/o going overboard, at least that's how I saw it..I don't ever remember Donnie pulling a Mark Cuban out there...This is why they severed ties? Donnie's involvement with the damn media??? Gotta be more to it than this..

Remember, before Donnie showed up, MSG was practically a police state with the media. Even Dolan's BFF Isiah Thomas had a PR rep chaperoning EVERY interaction with the media. That was something Walsh insisted on changing from the get-go.

It's certainly not the only thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dolan made it a big deal.

I love this team, truly, but I'm with some of you -- if Isaiah comes back, I really might lose interest...

I said it last summer when all of the Isiah consulting mess happened...if Isiah ever comes back to this team, I'm done.

Uniforms change. Arenas change. Rosters change. Coaches change. Front office execs change.

But ownership is the defining personality of this team.
And when ownership kicks the fans in the teeth over and over and over and says, "Screw you all," how long can you keep being a fan?

It's not like I can suddenly jump ship and pick another team to be a fan of.
But it will be a zombie-fan situation for me. I will no longer be a Knicks fan if Dolan brings back Isiah or does something equally as stupid. Kick me in the teeth again, Dolan, and I'm out.

I know they said Grunwald for now, but what do you guys see happening long-term now? Warkentien? H2O? Gabriel?? Outside the organization? Kevin Pritchard? Tom Penn? Pich Cho??? Jesus, what a mess...Thanks a lot Jimmy. Was having a real nice day too...

I really think Houston will eventually become the puppet-president. But that's just because I can't shake my worst-case-scenario mindset now. This is a real shock.

i dont understand how dolan could want isiah over walsh..old sick man (walsh) or not. it just doesnt make sense...they cant be considering isiah..

You do understand that we are talking about Jim Dolan the same person that was taking advise from Isiah with the Melo trade...... the same person that was trying to hire Isiah in July as a consultant.... Isiah already unpacked his suitcases man its over

I'm not happy about this at all, but I gotta wait and see what Dolan does. If this guy really brings back Isiah the Knicks will never have my support again.

jzero29

Rotation player
no isiah no way

WTF!!!!!!!! Gotta be kidding me!!!! Man are they ****ing stupid...
in a word...yes
this being reported anywhere other than Twitter yet?
espn
This is actually not that surprising to me. The Melo deal stunk of Dolan. There was no way the patient, poker-face, Donnie Walsh would have f*cked up that deal so badly like that. Only the idiot Dolan could pull something like that.

When Dolan raised ticket prices 49% only 1 week after the deal I knew it was him. It was about money, that's it.

I said this 2 days before the Melo deal went down: "Melo's greed and Dolan's stupidity are going to ruin any chances of the Knicks winning a championship."

This franchise is forever doomed as long as Dolan is the owner.
this is a travesty...that if followed up by a return of isiah, would make me skip being a knicks fan, until his destructive stint is over. an official boycott. Who knows maybe I will follow the brooklyn nets if Isiah comes back...and in the end, maybe it will be a permanent transfer. Dolan is bad...Isiah is worse...together they can kill my love for this team, which I have stuck around, the isiah years and the pre-amare time...but isiah=last straw. No more. Granted the team is goingto do well a few years...because amare and carmelo...but it will have zero to do with isiah. literally i just could root for him.

Marek

Benchwarmer
To be fair, it's unlikely that Isiah will be back.

Dolan burned that bridge during the Melo press conference. Dolan finally had enough of people saying "Isiah's calling the shots, Dolan is Isiah's bitch..." So Dolan made it clear that Isiah was not involved with anything.

This could change, but I doubt it.

I can't shake the feeling that Houston will be put in as Dolan's puppet president. Which is almost as bad as Isiah coming back. With Dolan calling the shots, it's just a matter of time before it all falls apart again.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
you guys need to relax. "destructive stint" etc. what if dolan brings in anybody other than isaiah? then everybody will probably call it a good move and all this "the sky is falling" crap will be done with. hell anybody else would leave it as a mystery to fans "i wonder if he'll be good or not." obviously there is no mystery with isaiah seeing as he was already put in this position with the knicks, but it might not be him. dolan didnt say it yet. so relax.

ChrisN7

Benchwarmer
Slightly optimistic, its not all doom and gloom view...

I can't help thinking that, if Isiah is still a favourite of Dolan, he'd have been hired in some capacity straight away rather than leaving things as they are until the end of June. Also the appointment of Grunwald as interim GM makes me think there will be a long hard look for a new GM who will take the franchise forward rather than just settling for Isiah. If Isiah was going to be our new GM, why mess around with interims etc?

jzero29

Rotation player
you guys need to relax. "destructive stint" etc. what if dolan brings in anybody other than isaiah? then everybody will probably call it a good move and all this "the sky is falling" crap will be done with. hell anybody else would leave it as a mystery to fans "i wonder if he'll be good or not." obviously there is no mystery with isaiah seeing as he was already put in this position with the knicks, but it might not be him. dolan didnt say it yet. so relax.
when has dolan ever been involved in a good move? besides signing donnie walsh?
Not to mention..losing donnie walsh wan't a good move. There are few people who an replace him and if dolan has his choice, it will be a bad one.
as far as destuctive stint, how was isiahs last term not destructive? burrying us in the salary cap...with players other teams were looking to get ride of. like malik rose, steve francis, jerome james, even the giraffe...was a decent player we paid to much for. eddy curry(who we had huge amount of leverage on but isiah was over eager and not a bargain hunter...he basically gave chicago his check book and said take what you need to get this done. isiah had a destructive stint...if he has another chance...it will be the same.