BREAKING NEWS: Knicks announce Donnie Walsh leaving as Knicks President

petescud

Starter
First i find out a friend of mine dies last night, and now this....F#$%...

I've been a Knicks fan since the late 60's...I moved to Florida 10 years ago. And i'm still a die hard Knicks Fan
DSCF5649.jpg

Hope we find a good GM wise all this 3 years of rebuilding will be out the window...

Red

TYPE-A
Stephen A Smith reporting he thinks D'Antoni will be gone by next season

Kiyaman will be happy.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
In statement, Dolan references D'Antoni as "an outstanding coach." And with a new Pres/GM and one year left on his deal, could be tenuous.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Isiah Thomas is not coming back, for next season Walsh will be a consultant. Could see D'Antoni leave for Golden State or Toronto gig, which would put us off the hook for his 11-12 contract.

So who would we get to replace Mike D'Antoni as Head Coach?
Do we go defense?

As for General Manager we could stay in house, Glen Grunwald. This is the same person whom drafted Chris Bosh for the Toronto Raptors. So maybe we have something to look forward too.

Just need to hope that Mike D gets lured away by another suspecting team.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
when has dolan ever been involved in a good move? besides signing donnie walsh?
Not to mention..losing donnie walsh wan't a good move. There are few people who an replace him and if dolan has his choice, it will be a bad one.
as far as destuctive stint, how was isiahs last term not destructive? burrying us in the salary cap...with players other teams were looking to get ride of. like malik rose, steve francis, jerome james, even the giraffe...was a decent player we paid to much for. eddy curry(who we had huge amount of leverage on but isiah was over eager and not a bargain hunter...he basically gave chicago his check book and said take what you need to get this done. isiah had a destructive stint...if he has another chance...it will be the same.

dude. walsh was his first good move. and that was a recent move. whos to say the next guy wont be a good hire?

you said the knicks RIGHT NOW are in a destructive stint

Marek

Benchwarmer
As for General Manager we could stay in house, Glen Grunwald. This is the same person whom drafted Chris Bosh for the Toronto Raptors. So maybe we have something to look forward too.

What's the status on Mark Warkentein? He's director of pro player personnel or something, but is there any chance he can leapfrog to the top?

I'd much prefer Warkentein over Grunwald.

LeFlume

All Star
This is a very sad day for New York Knicks. The only one I could think of that I wanna see taking over is Chris Mullen but that won't happen. A very sad day..:boohoo:

dude. walsh was his first good move. and that was a recent move. whos to say the next guy wont be a good hire?

you said the knicks RIGHT NOW are in a destructive stint
You do know that Dolan didn't really hire Walsh right? David Stern had to step in and FORCED Dolan to hire Walsh.

Marek

Benchwarmer
You do know that Dolan didn't really hire Walsh right? David Stern had to step in and FORCED Dolan to hire Walsh.

Funny thing is that David Stern was really pushing Jerry West.

Dolan is such a contrarian that he said, "Oh yeah!? Well, I'll pick Donnie Walsh instead!"
David Stern was like, "Fine, whatever, good enough."

Red

TYPE-A
thanks Donnie

NEW YORK -- Donnie Walsh's tenure as president and general manager of the New York Knicks is ending, team owner James Dolan said Friday.

"Following a long series of discussions regarding his future role with the New York Knicks, Donnie Walsh and I have mutually agreed that he will be leaving his position ... at the end of June," Dolan said in a statement.

Knicks Blog
Looking for more information on your Knicks? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Walsh will work in a consultant's capacity for the team next season.

The stunning piece of news comes four weeks before Walsh's contract is due to expire, and after several weeks of face-to-face discussions between Walsh and Dolan. The team had imposed a news blackout around the discussions, and neither Walsh nor his agent had commented on his job status since the first round of the playoffs.

Walsh's departure opens questions about whether coach Mike D'Antoni will return for the final year of his contract.

The Knicks had an April 30 deadline to pick up the fourth-year option on Walsh's contract, which he signed in 2008 following the troubled tenure of former team president and coach Isiah Thomas. But that date passed with no action being taken, and Walsh and Dolan were discussing a new contract that would keep him with the team at least through the 2012-13 season. Walsh's desire to have full autonomy was reportedly one of the sticking points.

Thomas has continued to keep in contact with Dolan and was believed by many -- including Walsh, a team source said -- to be influencing the team's personnel decisions.

Walsh gutted the roster over his first two seasons to clear enough salary cap space to sign two maximum-salary free agents. LeBron James was No. 1 on the Knicks' wish list, but they settled for Amare Stoudemire last July and then got their second max player by acquiring Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets two days before the NBA trade deadline in mid-February.

But the Knicks gave up a lot in the trade -- Raymond Felton, Wilson Chandler, Danilo Galinari, Anthony Randolph, Timofey Mozgov, several draft picks, cash and Eddy Curry's expiring contract -- and there was a school of thought (denied by the Knicks) that Dolan had taken over the negotiations and had undermined Walsh.

The Knicks were swept 4-0 by the Boston Celtics in the first round of the playoffs.

"In a relatively short time with the Knicks, Donnie made a tremendous impact, which will be felt for many years to come," Dolan said. "We thank Donnie for his leadership, hard work and many contributions to the revitalization of the team."

The Knicks said their search for a new president and general manager will begin immediately. Glen Grunwald, the club's senior vice president of basketball operations, will serve as interim GM beginning in July and will oversee all player transactions.

The highly respected Walsh came to his hometown team after spending 24 years with the Indiana Pacers. He joined their front office as general manager in 1986, became team president in 1988 and CEO in 2003, turning the franchise into a perennial Eastern Conference contender that reached the NBA finals in 2000.

He brought professionalism to a Knicks organization that had become an embarrassment on and off the court during Thomas' reign, unloading some of the burdensome contracts that hindered them for years and relaxing the team's media policies.

His draft record in New York was underwhelming -- high lottery picks Gallinari and Jordan Hill are already gone -- but Walsh always said his focus was free agency, believing that was the quickest way to rebuild a team.

He refused throughout the season to talk about his future, including reports he was angered that Dolan got involved in the pursuit of Anthony. But his wife and much of his family had remained in Indiana after Walsh came to New York, so he had reason to leave if he wasn't happy with a new contract offer.

Crazy. The transformation is underway

First i find out a friend of mine dies last night, and now this....F#$%...

I've been a Knicks fan since the late 60's...I moved to Florida 10 years ago. And i'm still a die hard Knicks Fan
DSCF5649.jpg

Hope we find a good GM wise all this 3 years of rebuilding will be out the window...

Sorry to hear that about your homeboy. Keep your head up bro, awesome job repping the Knicks in Florida on your Honda!

You're probably a bigger fan than all of us others combined.

Much respect.