BREAKING NEWS: Knicks announce Donnie Walsh leaving as Knicks President

smokes

Huge Member
I think it'll be Allan Houston. He's been training up under Donnie for quite some time now and since Donnie is staying in a "consultancy" position that leads me to believe whoever they have lined up is not a hugely experienced GM or why would they need Donnie consulting.

But we really should replace the head coach NOW. Why wait 1 more year especially when we are changing GM?

Kiyaman

Legend
As a Knicks-Fan u have to think Hypothetically ......

Owner Jim Dolan thinking about how many years should he add to
Donnie Walsh extension contract??????

Dolan: " Just for the helluva it, let me ask my BIG $$$ 3-players
($51M nextseason) how many years should I add to the extension
of Donnie Walsh contract?"

Amare's answer : "?????"
Carmelo's answer : "?????"
Billups answer : "?????"
Dolan decision.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Donnie Walsh is a big reason why the Knicks have a crappy coach. He was the one who hired Antoni, so he deserves part of the blame for why the Knicks play zero defense.

Although Walsh did do some good things(get under the cap to sign two All Stars) he also did a poor job hiring a coach, and his 2008 and 2009 draft selections were horrendous. His 2 first round picks for Tracy McGrady trade was also a pointless one, considering the Knicks only got one free agent in 2010 and winded up re-signing Jared Jeffries later on anyways. I was never a fan of trading Zach Randolph for a retired Cuttino Mobley(yes, he did it for capspace, but Zach Randolph is an All Star. You don't trade 20 point, 10 rebound talent for garbage).

I'm not against firing Donnie Walsh.

However, if Mike Antoni is still on the team for 2011-2012, then there really was no reason to fire Walsh and Dolan is a complete idiot.

I will wait until the start of the season to decide if this was a good move, because Antoni is still part of the Knick roster.

Marek

Benchwarmer
The reason Walsh hired D'Antoni is because he pads stats.
D'Antoni pumped up the trade value of bad players so that they could be moved. Pretty smart move, IMO.

moneyg

Starter
I never said that.

I'm saying that Walsh may have been able to get Melo for cheaper.
I'm saying that Dolan stuck his nose into Walsh's plan, screwed things up a little, and Walsh didn't like it.

The deal is the deal, and I'm not complaining about Melo for Mozgov. My point is that Dolan is a joke of an owner. He doesn't just get involved...he meddles. There's a difference there.

dolan would do whateva it takes to win.. he will spend..unlike most GMs....i do not think dolan did anything to mess up the melo trade..i think he showed melo that we wanted him before he signed off on the nets deal.. which we all know.. he would of took...

walsh was good.. but basically what did he really do but sit on his butt and wait for players salary to expire... draft ok.... gave up alot of picks just to shed salary.....he didnt have much influence on amare...amare wanted the money....as you said... walsh had nothing to do with melo.....so what really the luv affair..

i would not have given him final say without me as an owner signing off on anything....

respected..yes
draft...ok....
coach hire...bad..whiched forced us away from player that didnt fit his style..

he is guilty of trustin o.antoni...when common sense tells u...defense wins...

enough of this crap...walsh is gone...would of like him to stay..but

he not great...he good all around...

Last edited:

moneyg

Starter
D'Antoni pumped up the trade value of bad players so that they could be moved. Pretty smart move, IMO.

oantoni was hired because we though he would have an influence on lebron..team usa inside value....but he didnt..

a smart move would have been tom tibs...which i wanted as our coadch from day one...not this fake ..."everybody want to play for me" coach..

nash made o'antoni...

CoolClyde

Walsh out, will Antoni follow?

i was somewhat surprised by this news, I felt Donnie deserved to be resigned,
but after hearing what he went through, weeks of negotiations, 7 lawyers
getting involved, all so he could have control over the team? This smells
of Dolan in every sense of the word. it stinks. Dolan stinks. as other posters
have noted, David Stern was adamant about Dolan hiring a respected GM,
so I believe Dolan did what he had to do, and then did what he wanted, like
any rich child-man, born with a silver spoon in mouth does.

Dolan jumped into the LeBron James AND Melo negotiations, and he had
NO REASON to be there. When Melo was taking his first pictures with
A'mare and Chauncey, Dolan was RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE with basketball
in his hand. THIS IS D'OH-LAN's TEAM, and we are stuck with the WORST
OWNER IN BASKETBALL, the most CLUELESS, STUPIDEST, who makes his
GM COACH THE TEAM, lets him get sued for 11.6M dollars, and still remains
GOOD FRIENDS with the guy, and wants him back for more.

My second thought after hearing Walsh is gone, is perhaps this would
signify a better GM coming in, who recognizes that DEFENSE is the key
to winning games, no "W" without "D", and will FIRE ANTONI!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured if Donnie came back, Antoni would stay, being Walsh's man.
But NOW, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, Asstoni will be gone sooner than later,
and THAT would make Donnie's leaving OK by me.

All that being said, Donnie Walsh was OK, but he still made a lot of
stupid moves, and gave up a helluva lot. Look where Chicago is now,
and where NY is. back to square one with 2 of the best players in
basketball. Let's hope a new GM will fill out the squad to accommodate
STUD and MELO, with a true Center and true PG and we are on our way!

NO to Antoni
:gony:

Wargames

Starter

Yep. People forget that was the plan. we needed to move shrubs so we wanted a coach who could make scrubs look like they had potential. That was one of the reason the nuggets didn't want fields they had assumed he was another player with padded stats from mike D. Hell they used that fact to argue they needed more players from the knicks because they had padded stats. Since the trade fields and W Chandler both played at a lower level which made non knick fans assume they were benefactors of Mike D's offense.

The problem now is that we need a coach to lead a contender not pad stats. Winning not high scoring is the goal. Can Mike D do it? Idk but considering his contract he probably will get a chance to try.

Marek

Benchwarmer
walsh was good.. but basically what did he really do but sit on his butt and wait for players salary to expire... draft ok.... gave up alot of picks just to shed salary.....he didnt have much influence on amare...amare wanted the money....as you said... walsh had nothing to do with melo.....so what really the luv affair..

I think you're oversimplifying it a bit. Considering the shape of the team when he got here and how he will be leaving it at the end of June, he's changed everything.

He didn't sell Amare on NY, but NY doesn't get him if there's no cap space. It was a BIG mess here, and Donnie cleaned it up. He actually managed to move Jerome James' contract! He got Raymond Felton to sign a 2 year deal, which ended up being a moot point because we traded him, but I thought that was a good move. He took the chance on Mozgov, brought Shawne Williams in for some significant contributions...I'm running off the top of my head here, but he did a lot. It wasn't perfect, but to say he just sat on his ass and let salaries expire is disingenuous and unfair, IMO.

MoneyG, I'm not even sure what we're disagreeing about anymore. Are you saying Dolan is not as bad as I think he is, or that losing Donnie is not as big a deal as I think it is?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The thing is, if we don't have room for two max contracts, do you honestly think Amar'e would sign here? I doubt it...he'd probably up with Chicago or something like that if there wasn't at least a remote chance of us landing another superstar

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Don't flatter yourself I haven't posted for a few weeks either. But so called "grown man" putting himself in the same class as a teenage boy: CLASSIC!!!! That's ok TRILL, I ALWAYS KNEW YOU WERE REALLY A TEENAGE BOY LOL!!!

By agreeing with my metaphor that clearly makes you the 12 year old female stalker so LOL at yourself fool. You are just a dummy with spikes of estrogen...

JoHnNyBoXeR

Benchwarmer
dolan would do whateva it takes to win.. he will spend..unlike most GMs....i do not think dolan did anything to mess up the melo trade..i think he showed melo that we wanted him before he signed off on the nets deal.. which we all know.. he would of took...

i would not have given him final say without me as an owner signing off on anything....

respected..yes
draft...ok....
coach hire...bad..whiched forced us away from player that didnt fit his style..

he is guilty of trustin o.antoni...when common sense tells u...defense wins...

enough of this crap...walsh is gone...would of like him to stay..but

he not great...he good all around...

you're NOT giving Donnie the credit he rightfully deserves.. Donnie made it possible to get two max players this year .. Got us the personnel to get back in the playoffs... he didnt act off impulse and instant gratification.. What made Walsh great was his sticking to his plan and not getting away from it.. We waited 2 LONGS years in the biggest and hardest media market in the country basically tanking 2 full years.. Alot of the times the hardest deal to make is the one you DONT make.. "sitting back and just waiting" for those contracts to expire while losing 50+ games a year is not easy .. Even if for the good of the team ..THAT was DEF the case here.. Donnie was PATIENT.. I think the Melo trade threw a fork in some of Donnies plans..

I know it's all speculation but i tend to believe we could've kept at least one of our guys(Gallo, Felton, Chandler) and still got Melo if Dolan minded his own business.. Because Donnie showed he was patient and probably fought off Dolan with a stick most of his tenure here

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
I know it's Berman so take away from this what you will but knowing what we all know about Dolan and how he conducts his business, I have no reason not to believe this:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...h_Gqn1ePUtmpb1JBRURWGJXI?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME

Wow. What a ****ing joke. First a huge pay cut ($4.5M to $2.5M) that Donnie was surprisingly willing to deal with and then sneaky changes in the wording of the contract, one that was apparently agreed upon beforehand verbally. Unbelieveable man. I feel so bad for Walsh. He deserved so much better. What a kick in the teeth. I swear Dolan should just go jump off a cliff. Kill yourself you moron. I don't hate too many people, but this fool's definitely on my list. I really hate this man.

Last edited:

moneyg

Starter
I think you're oversimplifying it a bit. Considering the shape of the team when he got here and how he will be leaving it at the end of June, he's changed everything.

He didn't sell Amare on NY, but NY doesn't get him if there's no cap space. It was a BIG mess here, and Donnie cleaned it up. He actually managed to move Jerome James' contract! He got Raymond Felton to sign a 2 year deal, which ended up being a moot point because we traded him, but I thought that was a good move. He took the chance on Mozgov, brought Shawne Williams in for some significant contributions...I'm running off the top of my head here, but he did a lot. It wasn't perfect, but to say he just sat on his ass and let salaries expire is disingenuous and unfair, IMO.

MoneyG, I'm not even sure what we're disagreeing about anymore. Are you saying Dolan is not as bad as I think he is, or that losing Donnie is not as big a deal as I think it is?

basically what im saying....dolan has the right to make the final call on all trades.. its his business and all owners are involved in their teams.. dolan is hated.. so when he gets involved.. all everyones sees is ISIAH...thats not fair...

dolan has shown that he will spend to WIN

while i like donnie alot... we basically lost for those seasons while he waited for salary to expire..its not like we made the playoffs with his moves.. that would of been great..but probably unrealistic...

he gave away valuable pieces just to get rid of those expiring contracts...im sure half of the GMs in the league could of done the same..im sure Isaih could of done the same if he was instructed to do so by Dolan... but he wasnt.. he was told to try to win at all cost....which created a disaster

felton was a good signing.. i was onboard 100%...however i am a bit diappointed at the players we didnt persue becuz they didnt fit oantoni system.. when walsh knew.. oantoni ball will never translate to a CHIP....

walsh does deserve a lot of credit..but he is replaceable

again.. all Owners make the final call...the hate for Dolan is biased mainly becuz of his relationship with isiah...

KBlack25

Starter
Although Walsh did do some good things(get under the cap to sign two All Stars) he also did a poor job hiring a coach, and his 2008 and 2009 draft selections were horrendous. His 2 first round picks for Tracy McGrady trade was also a pointless one, considering the Knicks only got one free agent in 2010 and winded up re-signing Jared Jeffries later on anyways. I was never a fan of trading Zach Randolph for a retired Cuttino Mobley(yes, he did it for capspace, but Zach Randolph is an All Star. You don't trade 20 point, 10 rebound talent for garbage).

Can we stop with this misconception please? I've seen you post it over and over and it simply isn't true. The first round pick was the option to swap that did not wind up mattering because Houston wound up in the lottery and we wound up out of the lottery. So in effect Walsh moved one first round pick for the expiring contract of McGrady, enabling us to target two free agents.

CoolClyde

Doh!-lan

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...h_Gqn1ePUtmpb1JBRURWGJXI?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME
Wow. What a ****ing joke. First a huge pay cut ($4.5M to $2.5M) that Donnie was surprisingly willing to deal with and then sneaky changes in the wording of the contract, one that was apparently agreed upon beforehand verbally. Unbelieveable man. I feel so bad for Walsh. He deserved so much better. What a kick in the teeth. I swear Dolan should just go jump off a cliff. Kill yourself you moron. I don't hate too many people, but this fool's definitely on my list. I really hate this man.
:agreed:
DOLAN = DUPLICITY
Duplicity: artifice, cheating, cozenage, craft, craftiness, crookedness, crookery, cunning, cunningness, deceitfulness, deception, deceptiveness, dishonesty, dissembling, dissimulation, double-dealing, dupery, deceit, fakery, foxiness, fraud, guile, guilefulness, wiliness

"He was lied to," one person familiar with the situation said yesterday after Knicks owner James Dolan announced Walsh will leave his post after June 30 and become a consultant to the team next season.

become a consultant?... what a joke... in order to reign Donnie in and not let him say anything negative, hence keeping the typical Dolan blackout in effect.

...when Walsh got the contract documents in recent days, there were addendums regarding the power structure with which he was uncomfortable. It became the final straw in his tumultuous relationship with Dolan.

addendums... such b*llshit. adding something to a contract at the last minute, is just bad business, conniving crap. see Duplicity...

The wording in the contract did not give Walsh full and final authority to hire and groom his successor -- which was something he sought. The source said Walsh was offered a downgrade in salary to roughly $2.5 million after making in the $4.5M range this past season.
"The 40-percent paycut was an insult but money had nothing to do with it," the individual said. "It was more insulting that he didn't believe he'd have the full autonomy to run the basketball."

how about Doh!-lan gets a pay cut? come on now, how insulting! Donnie's going to get less money and STILL not have autonomy to make decisions, knowing Doh!-lan can still butt in at last minute whenever he wants?
NO WONDER DONNIE'S LEAVING!

He was treated with disrespect," the source said. "Dolan would yell at him."

major diss! we've got a damn prick running the franchise. makes me so sick.
:barf::gony:

JoHnNyBoXeR

Benchwarmer

:agreed:
DOLAN = DUPLICITY
Duplicity: artifice, cheating, cozenage, craft, craftiness, crookedness, crookery, cunning, cunningness, deceitfulness, deception, deceptiveness, dishonesty, dissembling, dissimulation, double-dealing, dupery, deceit, fakery, foxiness, fraud, guile, guilefulness, wiliness

"He was lied to," one person familiar with the situation said yesterday after Knicks owner James Dolan announced Walsh will leave his post after June 30 and become a consultant to the team next season.

become a consultant?... what a joke... in order to reign Donnie in and not let him say anything negative, hence keeping the typical Dolan blackout in effect.

...when Walsh got the contract documents in recent days, there were addendums regarding the power structure with which he was uncomfortable. It became the final straw in his tumultuous relationship with Dolan.

addendums... such b*llshit. adding something to a contract at the last minute, is just bad business, conniving crap. see Duplicity...

The wording in the contract did not give Walsh full and final authority to hire and groom his successor -- which was something he sought. The source said Walsh was offered a downgrade in salary to roughly $2.5 million after making in the $4.5M range this past season.
"The 40-percent paycut was an insult but money had nothing to do with it," the individual said. "It was more insulting that he didn't believe he'd have the full autonomy to run the basketball."

how about Doh!-lan gets a pay cut? come on now, how insulting! Donnie's going to get less money and STILL not have autonomy to make decisions, knowing Doh!-lan can still butt in at last minute whenever he wants?
NO WONDER DONNIE'S LEAVING!

He was treated with disrespect," the source said. "Dolan would yell at him."

major diss! we've got a damn prick running the franchise. makes me so sick.
:barf::gony:

This whole situation just makes me sick to my stomach

Marek

Benchwarmer
again.. all Owners make the final call...the hate for Dolan is biased mainly becuz of his relationship with isiah...

-Dolan ran JVG out of town.
-He was putting the players through PR workshops since the '90s - Remember when Spree and Camby got up and walked out of one of those PR sessions?
-Dolan's media policy is the least fan-friendly in all of sports. Note how Larry Brown, and even Dolan's BFF Isiah, had to have a PR rep chaperoning every interaction with the media.
-When Layden was fired, Dolan refused to discuss why he was fired or discuss Layden's body of work.
-Dolan's willing to spend anything to win, yet hasn't had a winning season since 2000-01. That's bad management.
-Dolan made Walsh thank Isiah for helping sign Amare, when it was later revealed by Amare that he never even spoke to Isiah before signing.
-With the anti-Isiah sentiment obvious, Dolan tried to hire Isiah as a GM, then hired him as a consultant.
-When that was overruled by Stern, Dolan insolently said, "Well, he's still my friend and I'm still gonna seek his input!"
-It is widely accepted by just about every Knicks beat reporter I follow that Dolan jumped in on the Melo deal and screwed up Donnie's plans.

None of what I just listed has anything to do with Isiah, except the part where Dolan tried to bring Isiah back after he was fired. Which is legitimate evidence of Dolan's bad decision-making, regardless of how bad Isiah is.

Walsh may not be irreplaceable, but he did do a remarkable job here, and is the best guy available. Who will he be replaced with? The only successors I would be satisfied with are Colangelo or Warkentien. (Pritchard would be a great GM, but I'm talking Presidents)

But why put yourself in the position to have to chase those guys when you already had a top-level exec like Walsh? That is bad management on Dolan's part.

Last edited:

Marek

Benchwarmer
Something that makes me sad for Walsh is that he wanted to name his successor. This dude truly cared about the Knicks and leaving the franchise in good hands after he left. He was really a noble professional.

We are all worse off for not having him with us anymore. Pure class, Donnie. Thanks for all you were able to do; I wish you were allowed to do more.

JoHnNyBoXeR

Benchwarmer
Something that makes me sad for Walsh is that he wanted to name his successor. This dude truly cared about the Knicks and leaving the franchise in good hands after he left. He was really a noble professional.

We are all worse off for not having him with us anymore. Pure class, Donnie. Thanks for all you were able to do; I wish you were allowed to do more.

the next two off-seasons are absolutely CRITICAL on whether or not the KNicks will be contenders or pretenders.. DOlan got Melo at the expense of the team.. I believe Donnie would've still got the Melo deal done for much less than what we gave up.. While I'll still have high hopes for the team I think ultimately we're going to be pretenders with Donnie now gone. But Dolan doesn't care.. He's got his 2 superstars and the Knicks will do huge ratings , finsih with a top 4 seed every year and sell out every game but I doubt we now win a championship