Chris Paul or Phil Jackson?

knicksin60

Starter
I'm sure that if Mike D'antoni isn't re-signed after next season and the Knicks have 3 superstars on their roster Phil Jackson would salivate at the opportunity of coaching the Knicks.And if he happens to call Jim Dolan to ask about the position, Dolan should send him to Hades.

We don't need a guy who had the opportunity to coach the Knicks in the past and didn't because Allan Houston and Latrell Sprewell weren't top 5 players in the league.And we don't need a guy who coached Michael Jordan into ruining our chances at a title for many years.

Phil jackson has always been one who enjoys receiving the credit at the expense of others.You know that if he won a championship as coach of the Knicks the media would put all the focus on him and discredit the Knicks from anything.

He is perhaps as overrated as Joe Torre and Bill Belichick.Needs to have the best superstars in the prime of their career in order to win championships.And whenever he goes on any championship drought he makes everyone believe that he's going to retire.But he knows deep in his heart that he couldn't coach a team made up of nothing but above average players deep into the playoffs.

As much as it hurts me to say this, I would rather give Mike D'antoni a 10 year contract extension than bring in this clown to have the media put him on a pedestal every time the Knicks have some type of success.

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
Hummm...

Relative to our current roster, if ANY coach can't compete with Billups, Stat, Fields and Melo he sucks period.

Relative to the observation of historic defensive ineptitude by the Knicks i'd take the addition of D12, a solid big, or adefensive coach before Paul or Jackson although at the least Jackson might improve this glaring observation of defensive ineptitude.

I'd bet if the Knicks could play defense we could compete with a far lesser achieved point guard than CP3.

Its amazing how although no team would pass on CP3 given the opportunity, how many timesthis fantasy has been regurgetated before presenting a viable option that address the glaring need for defensive improvement, amazing.

All I can say is some have had a bit too much Kool-Aid. You need detox.

While you keep clamoring for a point guard (even though you have one very capable and had many throughout) without addressing the defense; although we have 2 prolific scorers; you will be enjoying your drink while constantly watching (and wishing) while top defensive teams are playing late in may and june.

You're pathetic and obviously not a valid observer. The Knicks have been one of the, if not, the worst defensive teams for the better part of a decade AND even worse at finances illustrated by the vast amounts of money spent NOT ADDRESSING their needs.

And all you do is keep suggesting to travel that same road.

Even though there are countless examples of what teams do to compete and win butressed by our examples of what not to do (misappropriated funds towards defensively limited players) you want to constantly clamor for an expensived CP... I don't even know what to say

I guess a "What's good Isaiah" is appropriate? We knew you still had Dolans ear, just couldn't believe

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Hummm...

Relative to our current roster, if ANY coach can't compete with Billups, Stat, Fields and Melo he sucks period.

Relative to the observation of historic defensive ineptitude by the Knicks i'd take the addition of D12, a solid big, or adefensive coach before Paul or Jackson although at the least Jackson might improve this glaring observation of defensive ineptitude.

I'd bet if the Knicks could play defense we could compete with a far lesser achieved point guard than CP3.

Its amazing how although no team would pass on CP3 given the opportunity, how many timesthis fantasy has been regurgetated before presenting a viable option that address the glaring need for defensive improvement, amazing.

All I can say is some have had a bit too much Kool-Aid. You need detox.

While you keep clamoring for a point guard (even though you have one very capable and had many throughout) without addressing the defense; although we have 2 prolific scorers; you will be enjoying your drink while constantly watching (and wishing) while top defensive teams are playing late in may and june.

You're pathetic and obviously not a valid observer. The Knicks have been one of the, if not, the worst defensive teams for the better part of a decade AND even worse at finances illustrated by the vast amounts of money spent NOT ADDRESSING their needs.

And all you do is keep suggesting to travel that same road.

Even though there are countless examples of what teams do to compete and win butressed by our examples of what not to do (misappropriated funds towards defensively limited players) you want to constantly clamor for an expensived CP... I don't even know what to say

I guess a "What's good Isaiah" is appropriate? We knew you still had Dolans ear, just couldn't believe

Thank you for going off on another tangent and not answering the original premise.

Seems like this post is a reply that should have gone in my "We need CP3 to get by Miami's big 3" thread - little late.

Also CP3 is not defensively limited.. He's one of the best (if not the best) defenders at his position.

Nice try.

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
I have to agree with Red on this one. CP3 does make us better in some areas but our GLARING need is defense & rebounding. Not to mention we get outcoached in the 4th quarter WAY too much. Before we can even think about CP3 we need to get better in the defense & rebounding department or else we're headed for another early exit from the playoffs. We're going to score & put up points because of the players we have, but we need to be a better defensive team to compete with the rest of the league; especially come playoff time.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I have to agree with Red on this one. CP3 does make us better in some areas but our GLARING need is defense & rebounding. Not to mention we get outcoached in the 4th quarter WAY too much. Before we can even think about CP3 we need to get better in the defense & rebounding department or else we're headed for another early exit from the playoffs. We're going to score & put up points because of the players we have, but we need to be a better defensive team to compete with the rest of the league; especially come playoff time.

Smfh @ these posters talking the same BS. Reminds of when the Blazers took Sam Bowie instead of Jordan in the '84 draft.. Basketball 101: You take the best player available, via draft or FA!

If we got CP3 he'd be one of the 3 best players we've ever had.

Reminds me of an interview I saw w Bob Knight. He was talking about the '84 draft and said he was asked by a FO exec who's team had one of the top 5 draft positions.

The exec asked him, "Who do like?".

Knight says, "I like Jordan. If you get the chance, you gotta take Jordan."

Exec says, "But we need a center..".

Knight says,"Well draft Jordan and play him at center."

Smell what I'm cooking here??

Please use pure basketball logic people. Stop w the nonsense.

IF YOU CAN GET CHRIS PAUL, YOU DO IT! Period.

Geez..

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Smfh @ these posters talking the same BS. Reminds of when the Blazers took Sam Bowie instead of Jordan in the '84 draft.. Basketball 101: You take the best player available, via draft or FA!

Reminds me of an interview I saw w Bob Knight. He was talking about the '84 draft and said he was asked by a FO exec who's team had one of the top 5 draft positions.

Geez..
There's no question Chris Paul has a bigger impact than Amar'e and Carmelo, but Amar'e and Carmelo are two forwards who are inconsistent on defense. You're not asking for a combination of Paul/Howard/Amar'e or Paul/Howard/Carmelo. Those trios you could make a much better case for I think. I know Billups isn't the purest PG, but he's a proven winner and we could succeed with him, a center, and a much better coach who's good at defense.

Red

TYPE-A
Thank you for going off on another tangent and not answering the original premise.

Seems like this post is a reply that should have gone in my "We need CP3 to get by Miami's big 3" thread - little late.

Also CP3 is not defensively limited.. He's one of the best (if not the best) defenders at his position.

Nice try.

You're welcome... you're all welcome.

Its amazing how although no team would pass on CP3 given the opportunity
, how many timesthis fantasy has been regurgetated before presenting a viable option that address the glaring need for defensive improvement, amazing.

Smh at the lack of comprehension.

Thank you.:smokin:

There's no question Chris Paul has a bigger impact than Amar'e and Carmelo, but Amar'e and Carmelo are two forwards who are inconsistent on defense. You're not asking for a combination of Paul/Howard/Amar'e or Paul/Howard/Carmelo. Those trios you could make a much better case for I think. I know Billups isn't the purest PG, but he's a proven winner and we could succeed with him, a center, and a much better coach who's good at defense.

yup... and Ron thought is was just me.

Nice try. A for effort. D- for another regurgitated thread. :barf:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

All we would need is a few serviceable centers to go with a three of Paul-Melo-Amare.

Luc Longley, Bill Wennington types who hustle, rebound, can finish the odd put-back/open dunk and block a shot every now and again, or atleast just be a presence.

That core would be good enough for us to utilize those types of bigs IMO.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Nice try. A for effort. D- for another regurgitated thread. :barf:

You don't recycle the same crap over and over?? How many MDA hate threads have you created? Do you have any self-awareness??

You can't even stay on topic in other threads that have nothing to do w MDA. You fail. :thumbsup:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
All we would need is a few serviceable centers to go with a three of Paul-Melo-Amare.

Luc Longley, Bill Wennington types who hustle, rebound, can finish the odd put-back/open dunk and block a shot every now and again, or atleast just be a presence.

That core would be good enough for us to utilize those types of bigs IMO.
I'm sure we could get centers to hustle, but look at Tyson Chandler. He's very good, but he's not dominate. Chris Paul would surely get any athletic center involved on offense, and probably even any who's not athletic, but that doesn't do much for defense.

Remember Billups' expiring. He can come back on a contract that would allow a couple of players more than a vet. minimum which would include a center.

I DEFINITELY want to add a good passing PG. That would help with our flow on offense. We have no problem with scoring, but we could definitely use a better flow. We have enough veteran leadership on this team so Chris Paul is needed there either.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Really, we just need a center who can rebound and contest shots. CP3 could get that center involved on offense, but it's not necessary - between himself, Amar'e, and Carmelo, it's OK if we have roleplayers who just play defense and rebound. Dennis Rodman never took a shot for his life, but who could argue that he wasn't a key centerpiece who was hugely effective in the second threepeat?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Really, we just need a center who can rebound and contest shots. CP3 could get that center involved on offense, but it's not necessary - between himself, Amar'e, and Carmelo, it's OK if we have roleplayers who just play defense and rebound. Dennis Rodman never took a shot for his life, but who could argue that he wasn't a key centerpiece who was hugely effective in the second threepeat?
Who can protect the paint though? I don't care if our center can score, but we are in more of a need in a center than a PG. A D-League player with decent skills doesn't seem good enough. We're gonna need to spend the money we HAVE on a GOOD defensive center.

Red

TYPE-A
You don't recycle the same crap over and over?? How many MDA hate threads have you created? Do you have any self-awareness??

You can't even stay on topic in other threads that have nothing to do w MDA. You fail. :thumbsup:

Of course I'm well aware. Using your logic you are getting "emo" because not only doesn't anyone agree with you, we all realize it's far fetched, doesn't address a NEED, and is uselessly repeated by you. I suggested you make a "I want CP3" sig to avoid that and I guess you didn't heed my advice.

And what I wrote and everyone else was on topic, what you don't want to accept is this isn't fantasy basketball, moves have ramifications that need further looking into. Not "do you want this player" so we get'em. That's childish.

That is a more realistic view. Please don't bash him or hate like you do with me. It's unbecoming.

Who can protect the paint though? I don't care if our center can score, but we are in more of a need in a center than a PG. A D-League player with decent skills doesn't seem good enough. We're gonna need to spend the money we HAVE on a GOOD defensive center.

Agreed.

Ron, you mentioned Luc Longly types, is it safe to call them "serviceable"?

If so, then please take a look at what the avg. price and/or current market value is for such a player. Analyze this and consider our roster, the unknown CBA, etc...

It should dawn on you that:

A) If we acquire this player most likely we can't afford CP3 or much else

B) Considering the unknown while considering it's obvious any team would "want" a CP3 (its counterintuitive to think otherwise) then this thread is just about wishful thinking

And again...

Haven't we covered this already? As you say, challenge yourself.

knicksman20

Benchwarmer

Geez..

You come across as one of the biggest _Antoni apologists on this site. You think by getting CP3 that would solve most of the Knicks problems & give _Antoni the group he needs to win. We have HUGE deficiences on our team & adding Chris Paul does not change the fact that when we're NOT hitting our shots, we lose. We get pounded on the boards & outcoached in the 4th quarter with no one that can protect the paint. You seem to bury your head in the sand when it comes to those facts & after this season it's become obvious to most but you & a few others still don't get it.

I would love to have CP3 & if you have a chance you do get him. But let's be realistic & address our higher priorities that the front office can address.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
You come across as one of the biggest _Antoni apologists on this site. You think by getting CP3 that would solve most of the Knicks problems & give _Antoni the group he needs to win. We have HUGE deficiences on our team & adding Chris Paul does not change the fact that when we're NOT hitting our shots, we lose. We get pounded on the boards & outcoached in the 4th quarter with no one that can protect the paint. You seem to bury your head in the sand when it comes to those facts & after this season it's become obvious to most but you & a few others still don't get it.

I would love to have CP3 & if you have a chance you do get him. But let's be realistic & address our higher priorities that the front office can address.

No, actually I've posted on numerous occassions that we should draft a couple of bigs, see what JJ has and explore the option of signing Dalembert. I've also been one of the loudest in support of MDA bringing in a defensive assistant. See my, 'we need to bring Mike Brown as a defensive assistant' thread as evidence.

And I wouldn't call myself a D'antoni apologist, alright maybe I am, but I've always acknowledged his deficiencies while attempting to set the record straight w people who take an unfair viewpoint.

Yes, I want CP3. I think he would solve more of our team problems than you and others estimate. But I've also consistently offered solutions to our other problems, something you and Red seem to be unable to acknowledge.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Of course I'm well aware. Using your logic you are getting "emo" because not only doesn't anyone agree with you, we all realize it's far fetched, doesn't address a NEED, and is uselessly repeated by you. I suggested you make a "I want CP3" sig to avoid that and I guess you didn't heed my advice.

And what I wrote and everyone else was on topic, what you don't want to accept is this isn't fantasy basketball, moves have ramifications that need further looking into. Not "do you want this player" so we get'em. That's childish.

I've given plenty of substantive reasons and examples of why it's a great idea to get CP3. Whether you and others recognize/ comprehend is out of my hands. :smokin:

Red

TYPE-A
I've given plenty of substantive reasons and examples of why it's a great idea to get CP3. Whether you and others recognize/ comprehend is out of my hands. :smokin:

That's just it...

You've given PLENTY OF SUBSTANTIVE REASONS

So why are you wasting our time repeating and reiterating the same thing?

That we have noted, addressed, and provided plenty of reasons why its far fetched while partly agreeing with your assertions.

Give it a break and be more creative. You demonstrate an obsessive personality both with myself and your CP3 fixation. Its lame.

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
That's just it...

You've given PLENTY OF SUBSTANTIVE REASONS

That we have noted, addressed, and provided plenty of reasons why its far fetched while partly agreeing with your assertions.

Give it a break and be more creative. You demonstrate an obssesive personality both with myself and your CP3 fixation. Its lame.

If you respond to something I post I will rebutt. No one is fixated/ obsessed w you Red. Maybe in your own distorted little mind that is the case. But perception doesn't equal reality.

We tend to butt heads alot though because of where we stand. You should be careful not to miscontrue this as something more. It's lame.

Red

TYPE-A
If you respond to something I post I will rebutt. No one is fixated/ obsessed w you Red. Maybe in your own distorted little mind that is the case. But perception doesn't equal reality.

We tend to butt heads alot though because of where we stand. You should be careful not to miscontrue this as something more. It's lame.

Give it a break and be more creative. You demonstrate an obsessive personality both with myself and your CP3 fixation. Its lame.

Shoo fly shoo.
:indifferent: