Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: As N.B.A. Faces Change, Knicks Will Face Limits

near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG

The NBA should create a new rule to re-negotiate contracts every off-season for reasons like this, injuries, and not being as productive as they should be. Contracts can break a team, and many over payed players can agree they don't deserve their contracts, Eddy Curry being a big example. In these times players have to realize they must take pay cuts for a game they love to play.

Players can be awarded with a bonus or punished with a pay cut for there performance.

Originally Posted by serendipity10
    The NBA should create a new rule to re-negotiate contracts every off-season for reasons like this, injuries, and not being as productive as they should be. Contracts can break a team, and many over payed players can agree they don't deserve their contracts, Eddy Curry being a big example. In these times players have to realize they must take pay cuts for a game they love to play.

Players can be awarded with a bonus or punished with a pay cut for there performance.
    The Players' Association doesn't have to allow that and will never allow that. As long as there are weak teams, from a financial standpoint, the NBA has every incentive to get basketball started on time next year...and that means no boneheaded tactics/proposals when negotiating a new CBA.

Unless they're willing to also take over a handful of other teams who end up going under because they have no revenue from the season coming in. You're only as strong as your weakest member, and teams like the T'Wolves and Kings have that "Mr. Glass" syndrome right now.

The only way contracts can be renegotiated is if a certain percentage of the total salary is guaranteed, probably based on years of service, etc. But it won't give the team free reign to just take money off of a contract cause a player is underperforming or always injured.

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    The Players' Association doesn't have to allow that and will never allow that. As long as there are weak teams, from a financial standpoint, the NBA has every incentive to get basketball started on time next year...and that means no boneheaded tactics/proposals when negotiating a new CBA.

Unless they're willing to also take over a handful of other teams who end up going under because they have no revenue from the season coming in. You're only as strong as your weakest member, and teams like the T'Wolves and Kings have that "Mr. Glass" syndrome right now.

The only way contracts can be renegotiated is if a certain percentage of the total salary is guaranteed, probably based on years of service, etc. But it won't give the team free reign to just take money off of a contract cause a player is underperforming or always injured.
    The best solution for all teams is maybe the league sets the cap and allows 25% of all current contract to not go against the cap. Add to that a one player contract amnesty that wouldn't be counted against the cap and all and almost every team could maintain their roster. Then the league would win because all future contracts would be negotiated under the new salary terms which would likely have.bonus incentives to counter the loss of guaranteed money. This would go along great with the goal the league has to transition over a few seasons into the Hard cap. The players would get their money now but the league would save their money going into the future.

Originally Posted by Wargames
    The best solution for all teams is maybe the league sets the cap and allows 25% of all current contract to not go against the cap. Add to that a one player contract amnesty that wouldn't be counted against the cap and all and almost every team could maintain their roster. Then the league would win because all future contracts would be negotiated under the new salary terms which would likely have.bonus incentives to counter the loss of guaranteed money. This would go along great with the goal the league has to transition over a few seasons into the Hard cap. The players would get their money now but the league would save their money going into the future.
    Genius.

Let's hope the people sitting down at these negotiation sessions look at a model similar to this. Both sides would be equally happy/unhappy.

Superstar

Default Adjustments

I am in agreement with Wargames. Any new CBA is likely to have "adjustments" to avoid penalizing too much teams that have relied on previous soft caps. For example, if the cap is reduced from the current $58.5M to some other number, lets say $50M, any committed current salary could carry the same percentage of the new cap that it carried over the old cap. Thus if player X has a committed salary of $5.85M, i.e., 10% of the old cap, the team would be obligated to pay him the $5.85M, but only $5M, i.e. 10% of the new cap, would count against the new cap. This is only a possible example, all sorts of "adjustments," including those suggested by Wargames, could be implicated.

You prepare for the worst, hope for best.

**** be easy if cap be easy, and/or we can manage to maneuver for CP3. If not, we need to bang lady luck real hard n good to have a shot.

You look to trade STAT for Howard. Million reasons so, also makes draft easier if we end up between a faried or singleton type as best player left.

Realistic...it's about 'MIA'...juggernaut teams...juggernaut FRANCHISES.

Can't afford to be damn **** fools now. One more misstep and our championship window smoked for another half+ decade.

Pause. Idk, cept *every* move must be part of coherency. To be great, ya, to be contender, ya? But real? Is to be able to really be able to beat MIA's of NBA, mainly MIA.

PG's in Paul n others loom to get. Even a Howard, STAT for the big man will heat up as season goes on, trufax that.

I go for impact in draft, 2guard in Brooks or a faried, singleton type big who'd be key piece going forward. Try to do amare for howard. Hope fields deserves 1/2 hype he got from kicks, and make 2 shrewd signings for ml-type deals that give +value at pg and sg.

Then we still hope Melo evolves his d much like bron past few yrs. That d is a choice difference between them; melo is clutch, but that just is. Lebron not so much, maybe, but that's not his choice for real.

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    I am in agreement with Wargames. Any new CBA is likely to have "adjustments" to avoid penalizing too much teams that have relied on previous soft caps. For example, if the cap is reduced from the current $58.5M to some other number, lets say $50M, any committed current salary could carry the same percentage of the new cap that it carried over the old cap. Thus if player X has a committed salary of $5.85M, i.e., 10% of the old cap, the team would be obligated to pay him the $5.85M, but only $5M, i.e. 10% of the new cap, would count against the new cap. This is only a possible example, all sorts of "adjustments," including those suggested by Wargames, could be implicated.
    Oh I agree. I can definitely see a 10% contract replacing the MLE as the amount offered to mid level players.

On another note a thought just occurred to me. With the purchasing of an exclusive D league team, are the knicks going to draft the majority of next years team.

Don't get me wrong I don't think that is there goal but maybe they plan to buy MANY picks in the second round of the draft in case everything else falls through and vet minimum players and the MLE/LLE exception (or an equivalent) are removed in the new CBA.

Then if they can get better players the knicks can move those guys to the D league team. Either way its a smart move......