Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post good passing PGs that will be/you think will be available

Default Post good passing PGs that will be/you think will be available

Either as a back-up, starter, or future starter. No combo guards in here.

This is also includes point forwards (T-Mac) and players in the draft.

Chris Paul

Jose Calderon

White Chocolate

The Answer

Skip to my Lou

Jamaal Tinsley

all decent backups for Billups

Deron Williams

- JJ Barea but he'll prob get resigned
    - T.J. Ford
    - Earl Boykins
    - Telfair
    - Anthony Carter

If possible I also would be happy bringing Felton back.

Superstar

In the draft (in our range), the 3 best pure passing PGs are probably:

(1) Darius Morris - excellent PG size (6'5") and passing ability/court vision look like two big pluses, I just worry if he has enough offensive game, specifically when it comes to shooting the ball. Dude shot just 25% from the college 3 this year...At the Combine, Fran Fraschilla mentioned that he had a "broken shot" that will require "more than just a few weeks to fix." I don't know about him at 17. I think there will be higher impact guys available.

(2) Demetri McCamey - I get the Big-10 channel and have seen him a lot the past 2 years -- good size at 6'3", pretty strong, very good outside shooter (much improved this year, 74-164 45.1%), solid passer...On the flip side: not the quickest guy out there with the ball, penetration looks a step slow, slightly underwhelming athletically, and quite a few people including his own college coach (Bruce Weber) have been outspoken about his work ethic and question just how much he really wants it. Here's some video of McCamey playing poorly then blowing off Weber after he got yanked and refusing to look him in the eye -- not sure if stuff like this, along with the quickness and penetration weaknesses, are areas he can grow from and improve or automatic red flags that say 'stay away':

Still, McCamey's a good passer that can shoot the ball -- two characteristics D'Antoni can definitely utilize in this offense. Wouldn't be terrible if we picked up a 2nd rounder and grabbed him (although that's the move I wanna see them pull off to get Ben Hansbrough).

(3) Isaiah Thomas - I love this kid. Great competitor, he can shoot, he's cat-quick, a leader, clutch, intense and a very good passer. The only thing is he's just so damn tiny. If he were over 6' I think he's be a top 20 pick..Is he too tiny to have an impact in the NBA? I dunno..Not too many 5'9"-5'10" lead guards in the NBA right now (DJ Augustin comes to mind, but I think Thomas might actually be smaller. Tell you what, Thomas might have better skills. JJ Barea's another guy <6' who's come on lately and assumed a big role on a very good team. Pooh Jeter's a tiny PG that Sacramento picked up that they supposedly love). Damon Stoudamire made it in the NBA and he had a very similar game to Thomas', right down to them both being lefties. Thing I really like is that in 3 years at Washington, this kid got to line over 200 times each year---the lack of size surprisingly didn't hurt him here. He was able to get to the cup at will. Now all he needs to do is convert his FTs at a higher rate (he only shoots lows 70s at the stripe).

-------------------------------------

I'm really not in love with any of the NBA free agent PGs to be perfectly honest. Ask yourselves, do we really overpay to bring in 5'9" JJ Barea to be a backup PG next year and then have him take over the team the following year?? I dunno man. I know the question was 'who are the best passers' but when looking over these free agent PGs I'd rather take a shot at a young player whose upside is high and who might not be retained by their current team over the journeymen out there being discussed -- guys like Patty Mills, Ben Uzoh...See if we can steal one of these guys on the cheap.. Or go outside the NBA: to me, 6'1" Curtis Jerrells has as much talent, if not more, than anyone we're discussing here. I really don't see that much seperation in talent between Brandon Jennings and Curtis Jerrells. Sherron Collins, Tyrese Rice and DL MVP Curtis Stinson are other guys I'd take a look at.

I honestly believe Chris Paul's gonna be a Knick unless the league drastically alters the salary cap, incorporates 'franchise tags,' etc.. Until then, see if we can catch lightning in a bottle on the cheap with a high-ceiling type. My two guys continue to be Curtis Jerrells or Ben Hansbrough. What if we picked up Jerrells or Hansbrough and they played well enough to the point where we didn't even need Paul? OR, they play well enough to include in a trade TO GET Paul. Either way, I see a win-win situation..
    Last edited by finestrg; Jun 09, 2011 at 11:41.

Superstar

Here's some video of Curtis Jerrells (Baylor, the NBDL and KK Partizan of the Basketball League of Serbia) and video of Big East POY Ben Hansbrough at Notre Dame. Gimme either guy as the 3rd PG behind Billups and TD (with a chance for more eventually) and I'm ready to roll with that:

Last edited by finestrg; Jun 09, 2011 at 11:41.

Isiah Thomas will definitely be the PG that Jim Dolan will be targeting this offseason.

Originally Posted by knicksin60
    Isiah Thomas will definitely be the PG that Jim Dolan will be targeting this offseason.
    ROFL

Originally Posted by finestrg

(..Is he too tiny to have an impact in the NBA? I dunno..Not too many 5'9"-5'10" lead guards in the NBA right now (DJ Augustin comes to mind, but I think Thomas might actually be smaller.
    Don't for get about Ty Lawson!!! Although he partially led the backcourt with Felton, Lawson has proved he can run point in the NBA. Not like he's available, but it just goes to show.

Superstar

Originally Posted by platnumn
    Don't for get about Ty Lawson!!! Although he partially led the backcourt with Felton, Lawson has proved he can run point in the NBA. Not like he's available, but it just goes to show.
    Ahh, right. Forgot about Lawson for a sec...Go figure I forget arguably the best guy under 6' out there..LOL..Good call Plat. One more guy that makes a case for Isaiah Thomas making the NBA I guess.

Originally Posted by knicksin60
    Thx for this.. Gave me a good lol..

Regardind players under 6 feet, Nate Robinson while not really being one of the leagues best players could certainly look after himself.

all guys I would like to have on the team
    Darius Morris
    Anthony Carter
    Jason Williams