I thought shaq averaged close to 20 and 10 in the 06 finals :confused:

*edit*

He averaged 13.7pts and 10.2rbs

:shock2: @ wade averaging 34.7 points and 7.8 rebounds

Dallas is a better team now and Wade was better then

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
just like Kobe last year when he was 6-24.

Please, this is a tired argument. Last year Kobe's team won a championship. He obviously did something right. & Please don't even tell me that Kobe had a much better team than Wade. Bynum wasn't even healthy last year in the playoffs, contributed a "whopping" 9 & 7 in the playoffs that year, the year before he chipped in with 6 & 4, hardly game changing #'s there. It was basically Kobe, Gasol & Odom doing it all in LA during their 2 championship runs, with Derek Fisher chipping in with some big shots. You telling me a guy that still couldn't win a championship with probably the most talented player in the game in Lebron James on his team along with Bosh, Mike Miller, Chalmers, Haslem & the rest of them is still better than Kobe? Once again, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Let's talk when Wade puts a couple more championship rings on his finger & a few more All NBA 1st team selections.

smokes

Huge Member
Please, this is a tired argument. Last year Kobe's team won a championship. He obviously did something right. & Please don't even tell me that Kobe had a much better team than Wade. Bynum wasn't even healthy last year in the playoffs, contributed a "whopping" 9 & 7 in the playoffs that year, the year before he chipped in with 6 & 4, hardly game changing #'s there. It was basically Kobe, Gasol & Odom doing it all in LA during their 2 championship runs, with Derek Fisher chipping in with some big shots. You telling me a guy that still couldn't win a championship with probably the most talented player in the game in Lebron James on his team along with Bosh, Mike Miller, Chalmers, Haslem & the rest of them is still better than Kobe? Once again, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Let's talk when Wade puts a couple more championship rings on his finger & a few more All NBA 1st team selections.

You know that Wade had serious injury issues those years where the Heat sucked after 2006. Sure Wade doesn't dominate without Shaq but Wade still carried the entire Heat team in those finals. Kobe has not carried the Lakers in all 4 wins in any of their NBA finals if you ask me.

This is really not an arguement about who is better Kobe or Wade, but that Wade deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Kobe more than Lebron does.

STAT1

Starter
You know that Wade had serious injury issues those years where the Heat sucked after 2006. Sure Wade doesn't dominate without Shaq but Wade still carried the entire Heat team in those finals. Kobe has not carried the Lakers in all 4 wins in any of their NBA finals if you ask me.

This is really not an arguement about who is better Kobe or Wade, but that Wade deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Kobe more than Lebron does.

I think 20 years from now, people will remember Kobe as 1 of the greatest G's to play the game (& I'm not saying this cuz I'm a Kobe fan, but I do have respect for what the guy has been able to accomplish over his NBA career). I think Wade will be remembered as a very good player but not as a legend. Certainly not being mentioned in the same sentence as MJ or Kobe.

As for Lebron, taking all personal dislike for him out of the equation & just basing this judgement on his basketball talent & ability, I think you have to say that he's still clearly the Miami Heat's best player. I mean don't you think it's pretty silly to say that a guy who's averaged 28 / 8 / 7 over his NBA career in the playoffs is somehow below D Wade just because he had that 1 great NBA Finals with Shaq on his team? Obviously this season Lebron struggled mightily in the Finals (& believe me I enjoyed every minute of it), but I've also seen him carry the Cavs pretty much all by himself to the NBA Finals. I don't think Wade could ever do that.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
There's a bit of misunderestimating, as George W Bush used to say, of Wade's status among all-time greats, w relation to Kobe in particular.

Wade IS a legendary caliber player and easily a lock HOFer imo.

I think he's a top 5 all-time SG.. No he's not as good as Kobe, but he's right there.

Wade is very comparable to Jerry west in my eyes, except he's more of a slasher. Both are undersized 2s who average over 25ppg over 6 assists and around 5 boards for their careers.

And if you look at Wade's career numbers in comparison to Kobe's you'll find that they both average 25ppg, but Wade shoots a higher fg% and averages more rebounds and assists.

Now, Kobe has more rings, which you have to factor in. But Kobe has had either Gasol or Shaq and Phil Jackson through all of the winning. I'd also think it's fair to say he's had better supporting players for more yrs- guys like Fox, Shaw, Horry, Odom, Fisher, Bynum.

Wade had a highly talented group of guys w him for only this season and the one yr they won w Shaq. He only had Riley that one yr also.

Lastly, I think it's also safe to say Kobe's never had a finals like the one Wade had against Dallas. Infact only a handful of players have. Wade was mesmerizing in that series. He scored 36, 36, 42 and 43 in the four (sweep) games against Dallas.

Make no mistake Wade is special. He deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as all-time great players and absolutely amongst the best SGs to ever lace em up..

My top 5 shooting guards of all-time.

1. MJ
2. Robertson
3. Kobe
4. West
5. Wade

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
Okay, I've obstained from this debate for long enough..

There's a bit of misunderestimating, as Bush used to say, of my dude D. Wade going on. Bout to go to sleep, but i'll weigh tomorrow re: Wade's status among all-time greats, Kobe in particular.

And yes he is a legendary caliber player and easily a lock HOFer imo.

We're not talking just HOF calibre, we're talking greatest of alltime type status here. I agree Wade will likely make the HOF after his career is over, but will he be talked about amongst the greatest to ever play the game like MJ & Kobe will? I don't think so personally.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I think 20 years from now, people will remember Kobe as 1 of the greatest G's to play the game (& I'm not saying this cuz I'm a Kobe fan, but I do have respect for what the guy has been able to accomplish over his NBA career). I think Wade will be remembered as a very good player but not as a legend. Certainly not being mentioned in the same sentence as MJ or Kobe.

As for Lebron, taking all personal dislike for him out of the equation & just basing this judgement on his basketball talent & ability, I think you have to say that he's still clearly the Miami Heat's best player. I mean don't you think it's pretty silly to say that a guy who's averaged 28 / 8 / 7 over his NBA career in the playoffs is somehow below D Wade just because he had that 1 great NBA Finals with Shaq on his team? Obviously this season Lebron struggled mightily in the Finals (& believe me I enjoyed every minute of it), but I've also seen him carry the Cavs pretty much all by himself to the NBA Finals. I don't think Wade could ever do that.

As i said in my previous post, Wade will be remembered as one of the greatest SGs of all-time.

STAT1

Starter
Wade had a highly talented group of guys w him for only this season and the one yr they won w Shaq. He only had Riley that one yr also.

& yet after that year they won their championship, he was unable to get his teams past the 1st round of the playoffs in the next 3 out of 4 years (fine, he gets a pass for the injury riddled season when the Heat was a lottery team). By the way, you're wrong about Riley only being his coach that one year they won their championship. Pat Riley coached the following year as well when Wade, Shaq & the Heat got swept by a Bulls team who's starting 5 was Kirk Hinrich, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, PJ Brown & Ben Wallace, hardly a roster that an "alltime great" should have lost to in the first round. Meanwhile D Wade had Shaq, Alonzo Mourning, Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, Udonis Haslem, Jason Williams, Eddie Jones, James Posey, Michael Doleac & Jason Kapono. Please don't tell me that wasn't a stacked roster at the time. Just about every NBA expert had the Miami Heat winning that series easily.

Just a side note, Riles was also the coach during that crappy lottery season in '08 also. That season pretty much forced him back into retirement.

STAT1

Starter
As i said in my previous post, Wade will be remembered as one of the greatest SGs of all-time.

I'm not even sure I can say Wade is better than T-Mac over his NBA career either, much less Kobe. From '00 - '08, T-Mac's #'s are actually better than Wade's over his 7 year career. George Gervin's career #'s are better than Wade's too for that matter.

Last edited:

knicksin60

Starter
No disrespect to the posters on this thread, but I could care less about a player who plays for the Heat or the Lakers, especially a player who scored 61 pts against the Knicks while people at MSG were jocking him and a player who plays for a team that I've always hated.

Call me a homer or someone who doesn't appreciate the game of basketball as a whole but the only superstars that I would pay to watch dominate are Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony because they play for the Knicks.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I'm not even sure I can say Wade is better than T-Mac over his NBA career either, much less Kobe. From '00 - '08, T-Mac's #'s are actually better than Wade's over his 7 year career. George Gervin's career #'s are better than Wade's too for that matter.

Nah dude, look at the numbers comprehensively. Wade scores a little less but his rebound, assist, steals, blocks are all better for his career. Gervin is definitely in the conversation too though.

I'm not even gonna touch that T-mac comment.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
& yet after that year they won their championship, he was unable to get his teams past the 1st round of the playoffs in the next 3 out of 4 years (fine, he gets a pass for the injury riddled season when the Heat was a lottery team). By the way, you're wrong about Riley only being his coach that one year they won their championship. Pat Riley coached the following year as well when Wade, Shaq & the Heat got swept by a Bulls team who's starting 5 was Kirk Hinrich, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, PJ Brown & Ben Wallace, hardly a roster that an "alltime great" should have lost to in the first round. Meanwhile D Wade had Shaq, Alonzo Mourning, Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, Udonis Haslem, Jason Williams, Eddie Jones, James Posey, Michael Doleac & Jason Kapono. Please don't tell me that wasn't a stacked roster at the time. Just about every NBA expert had the Miami Heat winning that series easily.

Just a side note, Riles was also the coach during that crappy lottery season in '08 also. That season pretty much forced him back into retirement.

You make a good point about the following year and Riley's involvement. I had that wrong. I should have gone to bball reference to make sure *shakes head at self*.