Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dirk Calls LeBron/Wade "Childish/Ignorant."

There's a bit of misunderestimating, as George W Bush used to say, of Wade's status among all-time greats, w relation to Kobe in particular.

Wade IS a legendary caliber player and easily a lock HOFer imo.

I think he's a top 5 all-time SG.. No he's not as good as Kobe, but he's right there.

Wade is very comparable to Jerry west in my eyes, except he's more of a slasher. Both are undersized 2s who average over 25ppg over 6 assists and around 5 boards for their careers.

And if you look at Wade's career numbers in comparison to Kobe's you'll find that they both average 25ppg, but Wade shoots a higher fg% and averages more rebounds and assists.

Now, Kobe has more rings, which you have to factor in. But Kobe has had either Gasol or Shaq and Phil Jackson through all of the winning. I'd also think it's fair to say he's had better supporting players for more yrs- guys like Fox, Shaw, Horry, Odom, Fisher, Bynum.

Wade had a highly talented group of guys w him for only this season and the one yr they won w Shaq. He only had Riley that one yr also.

Lastly, I think it's also safe to say Kobe's never had a finals like the one Wade had against Dallas. Infact only a handful of players have. Wade was mesmerizing in that series. He scored 36, 36, 42 and 43 in the four (sweep) games against Dallas.

Make no mistake Wade is special. He deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as all-time great players and absolutely amongst the best SGs to ever lace em up..

My top 5 shooting guards of all-time.

1. MJ
    2. Robertson
    3. Kobe
    4. West
    5. Wade
    Last edited by ronoranina; Jun 14, 2011 at 23:49.

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Okay, I've obstained from this debate for long enough..

There's a bit of misunderestimating, as Bush used to say, of my dude D. Wade going on. Bout to go to sleep, but i'll weigh tomorrow re: Wade's status among all-time greats, Kobe in particular.

And yes he is a legendary caliber player and easily a lock HOFer imo.
    We're not talking just HOF calibre, we're talking greatest of alltime type status here. I agree Wade will likely make the HOF after his career is over, but will he be talked about amongst the greatest to ever play the game like MJ & Kobe will? I don't think so personally.

Originally Posted by STAT1
    I think 20 years from now, people will remember Kobe as 1 of the greatest G's to play the game (& I'm not saying this cuz I'm a Kobe fan, but I do have respect for what the guy has been able to accomplish over his NBA career). I think Wade will be remembered as a very good player but not as a legend. Certainly not being mentioned in the same sentence as MJ or Kobe.

As for Lebron, taking all personal dislike for him out of the equation & just basing this judgement on his basketball talent & ability, I think you have to say that he's still clearly the Miami Heat's best player. I mean don't you think it's pretty silly to say that a guy who's averaged 28 / 8 / 7 over his NBA career in the playoffs is somehow below D Wade just because he had that 1 great NBA Finals with Shaq on his team? Obviously this season Lebron struggled mightily in the Finals (& believe me I enjoyed every minute of it), but I've also seen him carry the Cavs pretty much all by himself to the NBA Finals. I don't think Wade could ever do that.
    As i said in my previous post, Wade will be remembered as one of the greatest SGs of all-time.

Wade had a highly talented group of guys w him for only this season and the one yr they won w Shaq. He only had Riley that one yr also.
    & yet after that year they won their championship, he was unable to get his teams past the 1st round of the playoffs in the next 3 out of 4 years (fine, he gets a pass for the injury riddled season when the Heat was a lottery team). By the way, you're wrong about Riley only being his coach that one year they won their championship. Pat Riley coached the following year as well when Wade, Shaq & the Heat got swept by a Bulls team who's starting 5 was Kirk Hinrich, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, PJ Brown & Ben Wallace, hardly a roster that an "alltime great" should have lost to in the first round. Meanwhile D Wade had Shaq, Alonzo Mourning, Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, Udonis Haslem, Jason Williams, Eddie Jones, James Posey, Michael Doleac & Jason Kapono. Please don't tell me that wasn't a stacked roster at the time. Just about every NBA expert had the Miami Heat winning that series easily.

Just a side note, Riles was also the coach during that crappy lottery season in '08 also. That season pretty much forced him back into retirement.

As i said in my previous post, Wade will be remembered as one of the greatest SGs of all-time.
    I'm not even sure I can say Wade is better than T-Mac over his NBA career either, much less Kobe. From '00 - '08, T-Mac's #'s are actually better than Wade's over his 7 year career. George Gervin's career #'s are better than Wade's too for that matter.
    Last edited by STAT1; Jun 15, 2011 at 00:46.

No disrespect to the posters on this thread, but I could care less about a player who plays for the Heat or the Lakers, especially a player who scored 61 pts against the Knicks while people at MSG were jocking him and a player who plays for a team that I've always hated.

Call me a homer or someone who doesn't appreciate the game of basketball as a whole but the only superstars that I would pay to watch dominate are Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony because they play for the Knicks.

I'm not even sure I can say Wade is better than T-Mac over his NBA career either, much less Kobe. From '00 - '08, T-Mac's #'s are actually better than Wade's over his 7 year career. George Gervin's career #'s are better than Wade's too for that matter.
    Nah dude, look at the numbers comprehensively. Wade scores a little less but his rebound, assist, steals, blocks are all better for his career. Gervin is definitely in the conversation too though.

I'm not even gonna touch that T-mac comment.

& yet after that year they won their championship, he was unable to get his teams past the 1st round of the playoffs in the next 3 out of 4 years (fine, he gets a pass for the injury riddled season when the Heat was a lottery team). By the way, you're wrong about Riley only being his coach that one year they won their championship. Pat Riley coached the following year as well when Wade, Shaq & the Heat got swept by a Bulls team who's starting 5 was Kirk Hinrich, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, PJ Brown & Ben Wallace, hardly a roster that an "alltime great" should have lost to in the first round. Meanwhile D Wade had Shaq, Alonzo Mourning, Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, Udonis Haslem, Jason Williams, Eddie Jones, James Posey, Michael Doleac & Jason Kapono. Please don't tell me that wasn't a stacked roster at the time. Just about every NBA expert had the Miami Heat winning that series easily.

Just a side note, Riles was also the coach during that crappy lottery season in '08 also. That season pretty much forced him back into retirement.
    You make a good point about the following year and Riley's involvement. I had that wrong. I should have gone to bball reference to make sure *shakes head at self*.

Clyde Drexler>Dwayne Wade

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    Clyde Drexler>Dwayne Wade
    Where's Clyde's championship?

drexler does have a chip (2nd rockets title). but yea i think drexler was a notch below wade.
    although i dont know where all these wade compliments are coming from.
    yea he had a great finals but the refs gave him call after call. yea he averages lotta points but this the generation of the offense friendly nba with no handcheck rules that specifically promote more scoring and help out guards.
    not saying drexler was better but dont discredit what clyde the glide drexler did in that era and took the blazers to the finals against mj and the bulls

Where's Clyde's championship?

Originally Posted by NYallDay
    drexler does have a chip (2nd rockets title). but yea i think drexler was a notch below wade.
    although i dont know where all these wade compliments are coming from.
    yea he had a great finals but the refs gave him call after call. yea he averages lotta points but this the generation of the offense friendly nba with no handcheck rules that specifically promote more scoring and help out guards.
    not saying drexler was better but dont discredit what clyde the glide drexler did in that era and took the blazers to the finals against mj and the bulls
    Feck! I forgot all about that chip w Houston.

Veteran

You know, it's really shocking to think about T-Mac now and realize that his career is going to be remembered because of the injuries. 10 years ago I thought he, not Kobe, was going to be the next face of the NBA...and for a couple of years there it really looked like it. T-Mac in the prime of his health was GODLY.

I think 20 years from now, people will remember Kobe as 1 of the greatest G's to play the game (& I'm not saying this cuz I'm a Kobe fan, but I do have respect for what the guy has been able to accomplish over his NBA career). I think Wade will be remembered as a very good player but not as a legend. Certainly not being mentioned in the same sentence as MJ or Kobe.

As for Lebron, taking all personal dislike for him out of the equation & just basing this judgement on his basketball talent & ability, I think you have to say that he's still clearly the Miami Heat's best player. I mean don't you think it's pretty silly to say that a guy who's averaged 28 / 8 / 7 over his NBA career in the playoffs is somehow below D Wade just because he had that 1 great NBA Finals with Shaq on his team? Obviously this season Lebron struggled mightily in the Finals (& believe me I enjoyed every minute of it), but I've also seen him carry the Cavs pretty much all by himself to the NBA Finals. I don't think Wade could ever do that.
    Well if its a question of who do you think is better Lebron or Wade I would say Wade every time.

The main reason being he has that killer instinct, eye of the tiger, whatever you want to call it. To perform his absolute best under the most intense pressure. Lebron doesn't have it.

Players like Kobe, Wade, MJ, even Melo have this 6th gear where when the chips are down, every spot on the floor is their spot. I remember when we were up 20 in the fourth quarter on Miami in MSG (this was in 2009) and you just saw Wade get that glint in his eye.

I mean seriously... A 6'8 forward and the most athletic player EVER in the NBA, getting locked down by a 38 year old Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion? Getting schooled by Deshawn Stevenson?!?! Wade > Lebron at this moment.