Knicks Interested in Signing Bonzi Wells

Oakman88

Benchwarmer
New York Knicks Interested in Bonzi Wells
Former NBAer Bonzi Wells? time in the League?along with the money he made while there?came and went a little too fast, and, if possible, he?d understandably like some more of both. Newsday?s Alan Hahn reports the Knicks are interested in the swingman: ?Bonzi Wells will be 35 years old whenever the next NBA season begins and that in itself might be his most favorable attribute at this point of his career. There was never a question about his talent, but like many of those young, cocky players who came up through the Jail Blazers era in Portland, Wells was the type to always rebel against authority, and seemed too wild to tame. He eventually wore out his welcome there and in Memphis and Houston, as well. Three years ago, he was out of the league and it was all his fault. ?There?s no reason to sugarcoat stuff,? he said in a story with his hometown paper, the Muncie Star Press. ?It was a very humbling experience for me.? Wells, who spent some time in China before last playing professionally in Puerto Rico, was one of a few reclamation projects the Knicks had at the MSG Training Center late last week for a free agent minicamp to get a look at some possible training camp invitees. With little to no money to spend this offseason (depending on the system in the next collective bargaining agreement), the Knicks have to be creative in finding talent to upgrade the roster. This camp included a few other recognizable names along with Wells who are trying to get back into the NBA: Javaris Crittenton, Ira Newbill and Joe Alexander. Wells, who might finally have his head right in time to salvage one or two more seasons in his career, definitely caught the Knicks? interest, according to multiple sources.?

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/06/new-york-knicks-interested-in-bonzi-wells/

Damn he's 35 already? I was expecting 32 or something.. I guess he must've really impressed if we are interested in giving him a contract.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Seems kind of odd that we resort to reviving a career when our chance to contend - in the absolute sense of the term contend - has a window of opportunity that doesn't go beyond the foreseeable next 4 years.

- 35 years old.
- Has always been overweight.
- Was maligned as a 'problem child' in both Houston and Portland.
- Has had back problems since his late 20s.
- Has only played in China & Puerto Rico(?) since 2009.
- Was overlooked by every team in the league during 2008/2009's FA period.
- 35 years old!

As a franchise looking to make the next step to legitimately vying for supremacy, I can't see how this is a good move for us?

Is my logic out of whack here?

*EDIT

I'd prefer to sign a young, athletic, cheap and tradeable Josh Selby with the 17th pick if we're going for 2 guards. His salary would hover around $900,00-1M, and when considered as a contract, it could be very high reward for us.

Last edited:

Marek

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;181397 said:
I'd prefer to sign a young, athletic, cheap and tradeable Josh Selby with the 17th pick if we're going for 2 guards. His salary would hover around $900,00-1M, and when considered as a contract, it could be very high reward for us.

That's only one guy. The Knicks have...I forget...only FOUR guys under contract? They need to fill a roster.

Bonzi would be getting the vets minimum, and I don't mind having a seasoned vet like him adding some depth to the bench. If he does well in his workouts and the scouts like him, I don't see a problem.

moneyg

Starter
Crazy⑧s;181397 said:
Seems kind of odd that we resort to reviving a career when our chance to contend - in the absolute sense of the term contend - has a window of opportunity that doesn't go beyond the foreseeable next 4 years.

- 35 years old.
- 35 years old!

As a franchise looking to make the next step to legitimately vying for supremacy, I can't see how this is a good move for us?

*EDIT

if turiafs opts in.. well have 9 players under contract.. im sure shawne williams will make 10

our 17th pick will make 11 and if we buy two picks we will have 13 players on the roster.... we wil have two open spots..hopefully,.. 1 if for a big man... we'd have to see how it shakes out.. i wont sacrafice a spot for another big man... u never have enough.. but.....u need proven vets as stop gaps...we will have enough young players on our roster...

tiger0330

Legend
Javaris Crittenton, Ira Newbill and Joe Alexander, Bonzi Wells.

Out of those 4 Bonzi has the most game, probably even at 35. So the fact that he impressed doesn't shock me. Great post game for a SF, guess I wouldn't have a problem with signing him to a 1 year non-guaranteed contract if we had a roster spot for him.

Javaris Crittenton, Ira Newbill and Joe Alexander, Bonzi Wells.

Out of those 4 Bonzi has the most game, probably even at 35. So the fact that he impressed doesn't shock me. Great post game for a SF, guess I wouldn't have a problem with signing him to a 1 year non-guaranteed contract if we had a roster spot for him.

im telling you right now

that championships are made by the players who never see the light of day in the actual games.

bonzi wells is a guy who can help us prepare for matching up against guards with size, who we struggled with last year, as well as provide insight into our youth, in terms of handling yourself professionally being that he made alot of mistakes, and apparently was humbled by them.

I like this idea, you go after a grant hill, a shot blocker, a bonzi wells, and a veteran pg; that definitely helps our stars and young guys push towards contention.

Think about it.

finestrg

Rotation player
I don't get this at all --- Bonzi Wells and Ira Newble?!??!? Are they kidding me?

Crittenton and Alexander I can definitely see -- both of those guys are still young and have a good deal of untapped potential and upside. I can see the attraction..But Wells and Newble? What the hell are they supposed to add? Makes no sense...Zero. I can list handfuls of guys I rather add to the roster than these two. Come on..

Crazy⑧s;181397 said:

- 35 years old.
- 35 years old!

*EDIT

Donnie is gone, don't expect any logic from the Knicks bro!
Remember the time before Donnie took over? Right...here we go again

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
35 means nothing if your in good enough shape. Look at Anthony Carter. Young athleticism doesn't mean anything unless you have the game to help STAT and Melo. Dallas has veterans which is a big reason why they won.

Wells
Iverson
T-Mac
Kurt Thomas
Anthony Carter

and whoever else is important to go after. Those are players who we would be able to afford! You don't go after young athleticism just because. It's not the past three seasons where it would have been great for us to experiment, especially D'Antoni's first two years, which he didn't enough, we gotta get vets now and play them. The younger guys need to work their way up first. More veterans will help them achieve this.

KingCharles34

All Star
if Kelenna is healthy then i like that idea

Its definitely a good move for the knicks to go after a shooting guard, i actually think thats one of there weakest positions. Fields was a little overrated before the Melo trade, after the Melo trade he didnt do much at all. He might comeback improved next year but we cant be sure, either way it will only be his second year and he'll probably still be inconsistent. Im not sure how much better he'll get, theres no way of knowing so they need to get another 2 guard that can at least split the minutes, hit some 3's and play some d. I dont think Bonzi is that guy