Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NYK-MIN rumor: Douglas for Flynn; & Knicks want a SG

Do the deal for Flynn. He can run an offense. TD has yet to show he can. I haven't see enough signs that this will change. I like this deal.

I also agree w the assessment that Fields isn't a starting 2 in the league. His handle is terrible and he can't shoot off the dribble. We need to draft Marshon Brooks @ 17. That kid can ball..

Since the Melo deal, we do not run a fast-paced offense. Before the Melo deal I would agree, we needed a true PG to give Felton rest and run the system properly. We do not run that same system anymore. It turned into a slow-down, iso-Melo system more than anything. The run-n-gun, pick-and-roll, ball movement system left when Melo arrived.

A PG that can play defense and hit the open jumper is just fine. While TD is streaky, he did win many games for us, particularly the winning streak at the end of the year where he was instrumental in many of those wins. I agree with Sprewell-Houston, a quality starting SG is a more pressing need.

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Do the deal for Flynn. He can run an offense. TD has yet to show he can. I haven't see enough signs that this will change. I like this deal.

I also agree w the assessment that Fields isn't a starting 2 in the league. His handle is terrible and he can't shoot off the dribble. We need to draft Marshon Brooks @ 17. That kid can ball..
    It's looking more and more likely that Brooks will go before we pick, but if we can get him at 17...golden.

But Klay wouldn't be a bad pick either, he might actually have the higher upside of the two, and he's bigger, but he's a little less athletic and he's not as efficient.

But still...Billups, Flynn/Jenkins, Brooks/Thompson/Burks, and Fields is a nice platoon to have in the backcourt.

I dunno why so many think this won't be a compelling draft, this **** is getting exciting, lol.

@alanhahn Alan Hahn

Let me take a moment out of Fathers Day/birthday to point out this: if Knicks wanted J-Flynn, they could have had him in Melo deal

I think flynn would be great for this team, hes very athletic and fast, i think he would do great in d'antoni's sytem, theres also the possibilty of getting ramon sessions who would also be great. I'll take either one. Then we would def. need to draft a big man thursday.

It would be amazinbg if B-Smack fell to us, but I think we will have to trade up to get him, hes is a ferocious shot blocker and can grab a lot of boards. He would be perfect for this team.

markieff morris would be another good option if B-Smack isnt there, cuz he also would be great for the team because we need a guy that is physical and has kind of a KG mean streak to him. He plays great D, but needs to work on his offensive game.

TD for Flynn would be a net-zero lateral move, at best.

Flynn would be a better true PG, distributing the ball and being a playmaker. But that's pretty much it.

TD is a much better shooter and defender. This was only his second season, and he's already made significant progress (even with a torn shoulder!). NY isn't going to be Phoenix-East anymore. It's a more halfcourt offense now, and TD's shooting is a good option to have. And with a training camp learning from Billups, a young TD can still make progress as a playmaker.

On the other hand, I don't see Flynn developing into the shooter or defender that TD is.

I'd much prefer to get Ramon Sessions.

And regarding Landry Fields not being a starting caliber SG...um, duh?
    Did anyone actually think he was starting caliber?

Don't get me wrong, I love what he gave us, and I hope we can keep him aboard as a key guy off the bench. You can't teach what he brings. But I'd expect Klay or Marshon to take over at SG on day 1 (if we can get them).

Originally Posted by Marek

Flynn would be a better true PG, distributing the ball and being a playmaker. But that's pretty much it.

TD is a much better shooter and defender. This was only his second season, and he's already made significant progress (even with a torn shoulder!). NY isn't going to be Phoenix-East anymore. It's a more halfcourt offense now, and TD's shooting is a good option to have. And with a training camp learning from Billups, a young TD can still make progress as a playmaker.

On the other hand, I don't see Flynn developing into the shooter or defender that TD is.
    Oh yeh TD is a good asset to this team imo, hes not a starter but hes a nice spark off the bench. Fields did great for his 1st year even tho he fell off a cliff the 2nd half of the season, but hes gets a lot of boards for a guard I think he was either 1st or 2nd in the league rebounding for guards. I wouldnt trade either of them for those 2.

But I would give them either TD or fields for Rubio. Ricky plays good D and he cna get alot of steals. Rubio is also a very good passer, but lacks offence but he could improve. It would be very interesting if Irving drops to the Twolves. Rubio always wanted to come to NY and I think he could be a great asset to the team.

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    TD is a good defender but I think we need to be cautious throwing the word "great" around. He was probably the worst defender in the BOS series. He was horrible. TD is good in the passing lanes but not that good of an on-ball defender.
    While i do agree with this, I think the reason why he was so bad against Boston was that shoulder. That has to be it, because of it isnt then i wouldnt even call him an average defender.

Veteran

Originally Posted by NYKnicks15
    Being a huge Syracuse mark I'll try no to be biased.

I like Toney Douglas I think he's a solid player and if it's just him for Flynn I dont know who I would truly pick. I feel TD's defense is a big overrated and his spark off the bench wont be as necessary if we have a core of PGs in place all game to distribute the ball. Another shooter wouldnt hurt either.

If it was possible to throw Toney Douglas, Landry Fields and Renaldo balkman together for Johnny Flynn and the 20th pick I'd do it.

We get another passer/playmaker off the bench (with more potential than any three of those guys frankly) and we have the chance to see where the chips fall in the draft.

Without moving up cause at that point I dont see that to be an option.. Id see if Klay Thompson falls to 17.. if not we take Tyler Honeycutt (hoping he adds weight) or Jordan Hamilton to help on the SG role. And bismack biyombo with the 20th to fill our shot blocking needs. very cheap players that could instantly contribute.

Overall I would do the Flynn trade but it depends at what price.
    I know this is " Your Trade scenario " ......BUT
    if The knicks pulled that off they could take the 17th and 20th pick and trade up I am sure to get Klay Thompson.....

I do not want to see Fields go but if we can get Thompson and rid ourselves of Balkmans contract it would be worth it...

Billup/Flynn
    Thompson ( Walker)
    Melo/ Williams
    Amare/ ????
    ($$$$$$) for a Center/ Turiaf

Originally Posted by skisloper
    I know this is " Your Trade scenario " ......BUT
    if The knicks pulled that off they could take the 17th and 20th pick and trade up I am sure to get Klay Thompson.....

I do not want to see Fields go but if we can get Thompson and rid ourselves of Balkmans contract it would be worth it...

Billup/Flynn
    Thompson ( Walker)
    Melo/ Williams
    Amare/ ????
    ($$$$$$) for a Center/ Turiaf
    If we could get the 20th pick and flynn that would be nice, we could prolly trade up 5-7 spots offering a 17th and 20th to grab either bismack, marcus morris, or klay.

Veteran

I wouldn't do the trade myself. Flynn might have shown himself to be a slightly better distributor but I don't think for a second that he's close to Douglas as a shooter or a defender. We're not using a run and gun system anymore when we have good post players like Carmelo on our team...we need to find players who can play defense, and Flynn is not the defender than Douglas is.

I do think we should get a pick late in the 1st round and pick up a shooting guard or that center who went to play overseas for a couple years as a senior (whatever his name is) if we can just buy one

Originally Posted by Marek

So you think TD can develop into a playmaker but Flynn can't improve his shooting? FYI it's way easier to become a better shooter. Being a playmaker is all about instincts and you have to have that in you. I'd put my $ on Flynn.

Default in like flynn

Douglas for Flynn = OK. Knicks getting a true backup PG, is EXACTLY what they need. TD is NOT a PG, and is flaky as a SG. the kid disappeared in the playoffs, cannot distribute the ball, and is not consistent.

Johnny Flynn was an excellent player in college, was on the Knicks radar, went #6 in the draft, and is aching for a chance to break out.

here's the college scouting report on "in like" Flynn.

"Strongly built and competitive, Flynn as the ability to both set up teammates and score the basketball. He is an accurate three-point shooter, can pull up on a dime in the mid-range and is suprisingly athletic around the rim. He is also a top notch on-the-ball defender."

sounds like everything TD is, and more. GO FOR IT.

power to the 'Cuse! (except for Andy Rottens).

Veteran

Flynn projected as a much better player than he seems to have demonstrated as of late...let's not forget that this guy did a stint in the D-League...not even TD was a D-League caliber player..