Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vince Carter?

Default Vince Carter?

The Phoenix Suns are working on a buyout with Vince Carter, per the Arizona Republic's Paul Coro.

Carter averaged 14.0 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game this past season.

Carter signed a four-year, $61.8 million deal in 2007. He's entering the final year of the contract, which will pay him $18.9 million next season.
    Would you like to pickup Carter on the cheap to fill in at the SG spot if we can't get anyone young? I'm thinking our options are gonna be either Tmac, Carter or Grant Hill. Although I want Grant Hill I don't really want him at the starting 2g spot his scoring is not great these days. I'd prefer him backing up Melo and maybe playing some 2 sometimes.

Tmac - would be nice but his injury history makes me think we can't rely on him playing a full season + playoffs

Carter - slight risk of injury but not as bad as Tmac, not as good of a scorer though

Hill - not really a 2

Veteran

Is this really what we've fallen to? Signing washed up veterans from other teams?

Only on the minimum, and only for a year...

no.........

I'm not sure. He's my favorite current NBA player, but I've seen what happened when he was on the Magic and Suns, two teams who shoots a ton of threes. That's not his game, and if D'Antoni is here, he might play the same way. He might do better on this team with Melo and STAT, so I dunno. We definitely should look into it. I rather he go back to New Jersey's supposed last year and T-Mac come back with us.

Nah we need to get a SG in the draft thats young, carter is getting older and would cost some $$$ that we dont have to spend seeing how we need that cash to sign a center this off season, because by the looks of it walsh and coach D want a SG. whether its Jimmer, KT, or Marshon Brooks in the first round. Or maybe we get a center in the first round and walsh is going to buy either a late first rounder or early 2nd and we get either Josh Selby, Iman Shumpert, or Cory Joseph.

I too think we should get a SG in the draft but what makes anyone think any of these guys available at 17 would be starting caliber in the NBA? We don't even know if these guys would be better than Fields!

I wouldn't imagine Carter will be looking for huge $ he is getting bought out of a 19 million dollar contract. He will go sign for the best prospect for cheap. Remember this guy still doesn't have a ring yet was one of the best players in the league in his prime. Be it us, Miami, Chicago... etc.

I really don't think T-Mac will return to the Knicks I'm pretty sure there was friction between him and MDA during his half season with us back in 2010. I'm also seriously concerned about whether he can last a whole season, I really don't think he can hold out the year whilst playing more than 25 mpg. His production is also considerably less than VC.

I think VC or Grant Hill are going to be extremely good pickups since they can both play SF (also both good defenders) so they can log minutes behind Melo.

Athleticism wise, not many in the league are as athletic as him even now. Not as fast as he used to be, but he still does things others never could do. Here's a couple of top 10 plays video from this past season:

Top 10 from April:

Top 10 from entire season:

I'd like for you to add Iverson to that list, smokes. Was in his prime when the other's were (except maybe Hill) and is very durable. He said last week or the week before he wants to come back to the NBA in any role so that won't be a problem and neither would money.

Him not being as athletic as used to doesn't matter because he's an elite all-time ball handler and wasn't pure speed getting to where he wants. He's also an underrated passer. I saw him in Turkey and he still moves very well.

^

SMH at STAT pretty much running away from Vince on that dunk hahahaha

Originally Posted by smokes
    I too think we should get a SG in the draft but what makes anyone think any of these guys available at 17 would be starting caliber in the NBA? We don't even know if these guys would be better than Fields!

I wouldn't imagine Carter will be looking for huge $ he is getting bought out of a 19 million dollar contract. He will go sign for the best prospect for cheap. Remember this guy still doesn't have a ring yet was one of the best players in the league in his prime. Be it us, Miami, Chicago... etc.

I really don't think T-Mac will return to the Knicks I'm pretty sure there was friction between him and MDA during his half season with us back in 2010. I'm also seriously concerned about whether he can last a whole season, I really don't think he can hold out the year whilst playing more than 25 mpg. His production is also considerably less than VC.

I think VC or Grant Hill are going to be extremely good pickups since they can both play SF (also both good defenders) so they can log minutes behind Melo.
    Well the buyout is 4 million, but he said he wasn't playing for a contract during last season. He made a ton of money in his career, so maybe money won't be something that would effect his decision.

Yeah, I agree. Young does not equal a better option. People need to stop underrating veterans especially with two superstars in their twenties on our team.

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    I'd like for you to add Iverson to that list, smokes. Was in his prime when the other's were (except maybe Hill) and is very durable. He said last week or the week before he wants to come back to the NBA in any role so that won't be a problem and neither would money.

Him not being as athletic as used to doesn't matter because he's an elite all-time ball handler and wasn't pure speed getting to where he wants. He's also an underrated passer. I saw him in Turkey and he still moves very well.
    I'm unconvinced about Iverson. Firstly he is undersized and although I can't say I've seen him play for 3 or 4 years I doubt his defence is great on other 2 guards.

Plus the fact he hasn't played in the NBA for 2 (?) years. I seem to remember he left due to personal issues which is sad but I also know he was long touted as a bit of a headcase. We really don't need that in our lockerroom now. And he doesn't really bring the veteran leadership that any of the others would either if you ask me.

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    Well the buyout is 4 million, but he said he wasn't playing for a contract during last season. He made a ton of money in his career, so maybe money won't be something that would effect his decision.

Yeah, I agree. Young does not equal a better option. People need to stop underrating veterans especially with two superstars in their twenties on our team.
    yeh but we def. need a vet center this off season unless we get one of the morris twins, or bismack. would be sweet if we could get tyson chandler

Originally Posted by smokes
    I'm unconvinced about Iverson. Firstly he is undersized and although I can't say I've seen him play for 3 or 4 years I doubt his defence is great on other 2 guards.

Plus the fact he hasn't played in the NBA for 2 (?) years. I seem to remember he left due to personal issues which is sad but I also know he was long touted as a bit of a headcase. We really don't need that in our lockerroom now. And he doesn't really bring the veteran leadership that any of the others would either if you ask me.
    Well I agree he might not be the best veteran leader, but in all the teams he played for I never heard or read about him ever having a problem with teammates. It is a concern no doubt, but I think not being offered a contract last season made him realize that he has to do whatever the coach asks him for because he's not gonna put up superstar numbers anymore.

I don't think his defense is a problem, he'll still hustle for steals and loose balls. He's a better shooting guard and point guard than Douglas is still, only advantage he has over him is defense, but I'm much more concerned about our interior defense.

He's worth the LOOK at. In terms of durability he's more durable than T-Mac.

Also think about what he can do for us in the Playoffs if we need some plays. I'd be confident in him.

Here's some highlights from the 2009-2010 season. The guy can still move can't he?

How no one

on this forum

wants a

Billups
    Vince Carter
    Carmelo anthony
    Amare Stat
    Rony Turiaf

starting line up is beyond me

Im sorry people

but that team is FFFFFing ridiculous.

Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    How no one

on this forum

wants a

Billups
    Vince Carter
    Carmelo anthony
    Amare Stat
    Rony Turiaf

starting line up is beyond me

Im sorry people

but that team is FFFFFing ridiculous.
    Damn straight and imagine...

Billups/Flynn or Douglas
    Carter/Fields
    Melo/Grant Hill
    Amare
    Turiaf

We still lack a ton in the big department but that team neglects any of our draft picks this year. We could use the pick or use Fields in a trade to acquire a big.

This is what you get with the 2k sports generation