Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New CBA could have a cap at 62 mil..

This is certainly better than what was previously being estimated but just to clarify, we have approx $62mil in team salary with only 9 players on the roster this summer. So we will not have any cap space.

We will have approx $44mil in team salary with only 4 players on the roster next summer (Melo, Amare, Douglas, Balkman). This is not including our 1st round pick from this year and signing any players under long term contracts this summer (e.g. Shawne Williams, Anthony Carter, etc). This would give us $18 mil in cap space in 2012. Enough to sign a CP3 or Howard to a max contract and then fill the roster with minimum salary players. A max cap would certainly make it very difficult to sign quality veterans and free agents to surround the 3 stars though.

What worries me is they are still considering eliminating the MLE. This would really hurt our chances of building a solid team for next year, and possibly beyond.

Superstar

So this is all an issue about money. Not competitive balance and superteams b.s. (well at least its not the main issue) This is a money issue so teams can cut back their cost.

I still get a sense that players contracts would have to be reduced. Kobe will make 30 million dollars in the last year of his contract. He would have to opt out. He cant extend. He will make 27mil the year b4. Half of the teams salary for one person. It does depend on what the second level hard cap is. But teams would have to cut guys. And teams with multiple stars cant make that Kobe money while being on the same team. Even with just 2 stars. Salaries will have to role back is they want to keep things the same as close as possible. In 2015, the Miami big 3 will make 65mil and they already sacrificed money.

I think the hard cap issue is the sticking point. Far from over as far as Im concerned.

Veteran

I sure hope the league realizes what it's doing if it wants to bargain down the salary cap. The CBA has to be fair, and thus making a hard cap of 70 mil when Kobe's salary in 3 years is going to be 30 million is ridiculously unfair to the Lakers unless of course they scale back all previous contracts...at the end of the day, the League realizes that it has to stay competitive. Reducing max contracts would help that out, but setting a hard cap would NOT.

I'm sure that any changes implemented by the new CBA will be phased in over several years. They will do all they can to avoid scaling back player salaries, and no teams will have to tear their rosters apart to squeeze under the cap.

Everyone is not looking at the option, that the main goal for this team is now that we have Melo that Stat might be on the hook if we could get CP3(not this season, that is a long shot) could be the goal for the front office...

After next season, D'Antoni might be booted out and with that Stat could follow since he is MD's player... So trying to build a team is not the question, is whom will be the coach and what are their ideas of what this team could be?

If the new CBA is $62 with a Hard Cap of around $70 this idea above could be in play for us to build around Melo and possibly CP3 which would give us plenty under the cap to get better than average starters with a good bench crew and also give us youth for the future...

Originally Posted by gmf1369
    Everyone is not looking at the option, that the main goal for this team is now that we have Melo that Stat might be on the hook if we could get CP3(not this season, that is a long shot) could be the goal for the front office...

After next season, D'Antoni might be booted out and with that Stat could follow since he is MD's player... So trying to build a team is not the question, is whom will be the coach and what are their ideas of what this team could be?

If the new CBA is $62 with a Hard Cap of around $70 this idea above could be in play for us to build around Melo and possibly CP3 which would give us plenty under the cap to get better than average starters with a good bench crew and also give us youth for the future...
    I gotta disagree the Knicks are more likely to build around Amare and Melo than to try to boot Amare to then Build around CP3 and Melo. Even if the Knicks were to remove D'antoni. Amare showed this season that he could be a scorer outside of the PnR. Then common wisdom like "counting a bird in hand instead of two in the bush" kicks in and it makes more sense to build around the 2 stars we have.

Anyhow we shouldn't focus on if CP3 is coming or not. We as fans should be focusing on the fact that a hard cap of say 70 means the Knicks will not implode nor are they doomed to a future of rosters that looked like what the Knicks had when they were swept in the first round this year. The knicks will be able to build the roster up again.....

This means more than likely even if the knicks decide to get CP3 that will be in free agency since the cap is set. That means we can draft and add pieces and not force a "fair trade" for another star.

Either way the knicks will likely be a contending team within a season or two. This is great news.

Cp3 here we come.

Smile

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    Cp3 here we come.

Word.

Superstar

Default "Flexcap"

i do not think we have all the necessary details on the league proposal for a $62M flex cap. Apparently the players will have to give back money if the league team median goes above $62M. The players' union is studying the proposal to determine whether it is effectively just a hard cap.

If there is a hard cap and there are no ajustments for current contracts, we could have some problems. Amare's and Melo's combined salaries will grow to about $47M in a couple of years. Franchises like the Knicks should not be in favor of hard caps.

I do not think the league is in favor of creating mega-teams. I do not expect any league proposal to increase our chances of getting CP3 or Dwight Howard.

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    i do not think we have all the necessary details on the league proposal for a $62M flex cap. Apparently the players will have to give back money if the league team median goes above $62M. The players' union is studying the proposal to determine whether it is effectively just a hard cap.

If there is a hard cap and there are no ajustments for current contracts, we could have some problems. Amare's and Melo's combined salaries will grow to about $47M in a couple of years. Franchises like the Knicks should not be in favor of hard caps.

I do not think the league is in favor of creating mega-teams. I do not expect any league proposal to increase our chances of getting CP3 or Dwight Howard.
    The Heat "super team" generated the highest ratings in years as well as more interest and merchandise sales. I am fairly confident they would not mind a NYC super team.

Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    The Heat "super team" generated the highest ratings in years as well as more interest and merchandise sales. I am fairly confident they would not mind a NYC super team.
    This should be intuitive. David Stern absolutely wants the best teams possible in his biggest media markets.

Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    This should be intuitive. David Stern absolutely wants the best teams possible in his biggest media markets.
    David Stern might like it but the majority of the owners don't, particularly the small market owners. The small market owners are losing money and as a whole, that translates to the NBA losing roughly $300 million a year. This is one of the main issues concerning the new CBA.

Superstar

honestly in real life this is what happens too. Too many teams in the league in markets that can't support losers. just like the only people who seem to get richer are people already rich.

However blueprints for successful small market teams have already been established by the Rockets and Blazers.

There needs to be a better revenue sharing system in the NBA so small market teams don't have to be championship contenders in order to make money. All teams go through a rebuilding process. That process may take several years of developing draft picks and getting lucky. Those markets shouldn't be under the threat of losing their franchise because of it (see Sacramento Kings).

hey lets all hope the players counter with a 80 million hardcap and the owners and players negotiate and then agree somewhere in the middle....