Knicks considering drafting Iman Shumpert at 17????

I woud be kind of pissed if we used our 17th pick on Iman Shumpert, when there will be other players that will be gona gy the 20th to 25th pick while Iman Shumpert will msotl likely last till the beginning of the 2nd round. Iman Shumpert is a great player both on the defensive and offensive side of the ball. I hope we can buy a late 1st rounder to ealy 2nd rounder and try to draft this guy. But don't think a 17th overall pick is worth getting Iman Shumpert, when brooks, Markeiff morris, and Kenneth Faried are still around.

Marek

Benchwarmer
Shumpert should last for a while. #17 would make no sense.

But, then again, if the Knicks have good intel that someone else will snatch him up, and they think he really is that damn good, I guess go for it. That's why they drafted Landry Fields when they could have probably signed him as an undrafted FA. They didn't want to take the chance. And they were right, weren't they?

Just make sure the intel is good. Remember when the Suns fooled Isiah into thinking that they wanted Balkman, and Zeke drafted that bum at #20? Yeah, that was awesome...

platnumn

Benchwarmer
You said "Knicks considering"... Not once did you say "I predict". And I didn't see you mention anything in the prediction thread.

I flat out said "prepare to hear Iman Shumperts name called", and NOBODY else mentioned him.

Tis all I was saying. You don't call anything by posting a rumor. There was 1000 rumors going around.

Marek

Benchwarmer
-Chris Singleton wasn't going to get any burn playing behind Stat & Melo, anyway. And he could guard SG, but only in spurts.

-Marshon Brooks could be an exceptional NBA scorer. But everyone questions how well he'd play off the ball with Stat & Melo getting all the touches. This team could use a defensive asset more than another ball-dominating offensive weapon.

-Faried was available, but whatever. NY gets plenty of rebounding from the 3 and 4. They need rebounds and defense from the 5, and that's not Faried. Also, as with Singleton, how many rebounds will Faried get when he's on the bench behind Stat & Melo?

My only problem with this pick is that they could have gotten Shumpert later, and should have bought an additional pick later in the draft to get Shumpert. But with all the trade activity that went down, maybe no one was willing to sell a pick when they could get more in a trade from someone other than the Knicks.

Oh, well.

KingofNy

Starter
-Chris Singleton wasn't going to get any burn playing behind Stat & Melo, anyway. And he could guard SG, but only in spurts.

-Marshon Brooks could be an exceptional NBA scorer. But everyone questions how well he'd play off the ball with Stat & Melo getting all the touches. This team could use a defensive asset more than another ball-dominating offensive weapon.

-Faried was available, but whatever. NY gets plenty of rebounding from the 3 and 4. They need rebounds and defense from the 5, and that's not Faried. Also, as with Singleton, how many rebounds will Faried get when he's on the bench behind Stat & Melo?

My only problem with this pick is that they could have gotten Shumpert later, and should have bought an additional pick later in the draft to get Shumpert. But with all the trade activity that went down, maybe no one was willing to sell a pick when they could get more in a trade from someone other than the Knicks.

Oh, well.

Singleton is EXACTLY who we needed. Our biggest problem is scoring when Stat and Melo are riding the pine. I'll help you sum it up. We f#@%ed up.

Marek

Benchwarmer
Singleton is EXACTLY who we needed. Our biggest problem is scoring when Stat and Melo are riding the pine. I'll help you sum it up. We f#@%ed up.

Instead of a 2/3/4 defender with decent offense getting sparse playing time behind our star forwards, we got a 1/2/3 defender with decent offense who will have a legit shot at real playing time.

When it's late in the 4th, are we going to sit Stat or Melo for Singleton's defense? No. We need their offense and rebounding. Unless we're going possession by possession in the final minute, we're not going to sub out our stars for defensive possessions.

On the other hand, Shumpert can be on the floor in crucial minutes to bother killer shooting guards or point guards. Situations where you can't trust Singleton because he's just too big to cut around tight screens to chase a quicker SG.

Face it...Singleton is a nice player, but he didn't fit our needs as well as Shumpert. Get over it.

I like the Shumpert pick. He's a versatile defender and the one knock being he couldn't shoot it. Apparently Donnie saw him stroking the jimmy in workouts and felt his shot mechanics were fine as it was and he can indeed play both sides of the ball. And he's an athletic beast! I like this pick alot. Can't wait to use him in 2k12..

Last edited:

TakMan

Rotation player

Do you remember last season? Remember what % teams were getting from the perimeter? I know nothing about this guy, however if he is an accomplished perimeter defender then I much prefer that to another offensive player. Realistically, considering a backup scorer in case Anthony, Stoudamire, and Billups aren't hitting them is not a priority. Dallas won the Championship with 2 main contributors on offence (Nowitzki and Terry) Miami rely on James and Wade; That's how it works. Knicks also have Douglas and Shawne who can shoot. Our problem at the mo is not allowing opponents to score more than we do. Our offence was one of the best in the league last season.

Marek

Benchwarmer

I must have missed this in my reply earlier...

You think that's our biggest problem? Really?

KingofNy

Starter
I must have missed this in my reply earlier...

You think that's our biggest problem? Really?

It was most of the second half of the season. When Melo sat for pretty much 3/4 of every fourth quarter per our genius head coaches gameplan, it seemed like our offense couldn't do crap. And I think it's up there with our defense being non-existent all season, every season under Dumbtoni.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Failed miserably with this pick. We took a shooting guard who can't shoot... I look at our roster for next year and we have two guys under contract that play the two spot in Landry and TD.

We have no one to back up Amar'e or Melo. Singleton is a 3/4 who can guard 4-1. Oh, and he has a better offensive game than the "shooting" guard we chose.

So stupid.

Failed miserably with this pick. We took a shooting guard who can't shoot... I look at our roster for next year and we have two guys under contract that play the two spot in Landry and TD.

We have no one to back up Amar'e or Melo. Singleton is a 3/4 who can guard 4-1. Oh, and he has a better offensive game than the "shooting" guard we chose.

So stupid.

well I dont see how it was stupid, hes gona be our backup PG to billups, he can play better D than anyone on the knicks now. Chris singleton plays SF and we have melo playing there. This kid shumpert is freakisly athletic, he has a 7"0 wingspand, and his vertice was amazing. I was pissed last night but I thought real hard. I wanted them to pick this guy with a late 1st rounder, yet we couldent buy 1, so we had to reach a little bit but I think this guy is worth it. He averaged 2.7 steals a game in college and he wasnt bad at all on the offensive side, this kid has hops too.

Rondo: can't shoot for his life, and with shumpert on him won't have fun driving in the paint :)

I think he will be able to guard wade, D will and other stars really good.

I give TD a 7.5 on Defense and shumpert has the potential to be a lockdown defender 9.5.