Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knicks trying to get Robin Lopez? Nash talks heating up?

Originally Posted by InGodsHands
    end of topic...
    I take this statement with a grain of salt. If the right deal comes along, they're moving Nash because of his age and how valuable his expiring might be to another team. Gortat staying is common sense because of his age and skill.

Whenever someone from a front office makes emphatic comments like this, all you have to do is look at how many times a GM emphatically gave a coach that dreaded "vote of confidence" only to fire the dude shortly there after.

Have we not learned our lesson that when it comes to trade topics you have to just wait it out? Melo was all but traded to the Nets with NO CHANCE to come to the Knicks like 2 or 3 times....until he ended up on the Knicks.

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    I take this statement with a grain of salt. If the right deal comes along, they're moving Nash because of his age and how valuable his expiring might be to another team. Gortat staying is common sense because of his age and skill.

Whenever someone from a front office makes emphatic comments like this, all you have to do is look at how many times a GM emphatically gave a coach that dreaded "vote of confidence" only to fire the dude shortly there after.

Have we not learned our lesson that when it comes to trade topics you have to just wait it out? Melo was all but traded to the Nets with NO CHANCE to come to the Knicks like 2 or 3 times....until he ended up on the Knicks.
    That's true.

As far as Nash goes, I don't see what we have to offer the Suns, unless there's another team in the trade.

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    We definitely shouldn't trade Fields at ALL. All-Star potential imo.
    Lol. Wow Fields has all-star potential, and we can't use a 7'ter... smh

All I have to say is...

Is he better than Jared Jeffries....potentially?

I can't wait to see how good Landry Fields plays next season, I hope he's really working hard on his game this offseason.

Originally Posted by Red

All I have to say is...

So you'd want to give up TD or Fields for a player that's only a little bit better than Jeffries?

Originally Posted by Red

All I have to say is...

all I can say is, that I have league pass, well had league pass for the past 5 seasons, and lopez is already much better than jefferies, pursues blocks, doesnt sneak up for cheesy blocks, he literally meets guys at the rim, and he finishes strong around the basket from both sides of the floor. The only problem with Lopez is that he has played along side shaq, amare, and gortat for the duration of his career, so while some may see an opportunity to be a starter gone wrong, I see it as barely a chance to put up solid numbers due to steve nash realizing who should get the ball and its rarely been lopez, lopez however has alot of david lee type qualities, cleans up the boards on misses, and some how finds himself in the right position to do the little things that help his team win, remember hes a standford guy, he has a high Basketball IQ and is incredibly incredibly physical on defense, loves contact and loves to bang, and is a much better finisher than jefferies, he doesnt take layups, he dunks the ball from either side

check out this link

I for one wouldnt mind him ; he fills a need on this team better than more shooters which we have enough of. meaning guys who take shots in volume.

lopez is legit 7 foot, legit blocking, legit hustle, and legit physical with opposing bigs.

him along side amare would be huge for us

stop being haters because you dont hear much of a guy

and dont act like lopez was the reason the suns didnt make the playoffs.

making a hugggge trade half way through the season was the reasons why the suns didnt make the playoffs, which at that point lopez came back from an injury with no chemistry to play along side gortat battling for minutes.

gortat is better

but lopez is what we need on this team

check the video see for yourself.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] scroll half way through.

Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    all I can say is, that I have league pass, well had league pass for the past 5 seasons, and lopez is already much better than jefferies, pursues blocks, doesnt sneak up for cheesy blocks, he literally meets guys at the rim, and he finishes strong around the basket from both sides of the floor. The only problem with Lopez is that he has played along side shaq, amare, and gortat for the duration of his career, so while some may see an opportunity to be a starter gone wrong, I see it as barely a chance to put up solid numbers due to steve nash realizing who should get the ball and its rarely been lopez, lopez however has alot of david lee type qualities, cleans up the boards on misses, and some how finds himself in the right position to do the little things that help his team win, remember hes a standford guy, he has a high Basketball IQ and is incredibly incredibly physical on defense, loves contact and loves to bang, and is a much better finisher than jefferies, he doesnt take layups, he dunks the ball from either side

check out this link

I for one wouldnt mind him ; he fills a need on this team better than more shooters which we have enough of.

I don't want to give up TD or Fields for Lopez. We are getting Jerome Jordan and we can still pick up Turiaf's option.

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    I don't want to give up TD or Fields for Lopez. We are getting Jerome Jordan and we can still pick up Turiaf's option.

Lopez has tyson chandler potential, legitimately, same size, athleticism, hustle and strength, just as tyson was at 22 years of age, he was raw and didnt meet his potential.

you can get a million toney douglas's in the NBA today, tweeners that chuck shots and are hot when hot and cold when cold, but finding 7 foot shot blockers to play along side an athletic amare, who can run the floor, are rare to find; if you have the chance to get one you jump on it

I love douglas, and fields, but they are replaceable.

explain to me who on our team does the things a robin lopez will

7 footer to guard dwight howard, bang against the bulls, and annoy the hell out of a chris bosh ????

you want to talk about match ups

having a toney douglas trying to guard a ray allen, dwayne wade or derrick rose is stupid

having a robin lopez, and ronny turiaf taking turns at center to keep those 3 guys out of the paint

is smart.

Jordan is a total unknown and an NBA rookie that may or may not work out. Turiaf has heart problems and will always only be availible for 20 minutes a game, 25 at best. We need a real option at center. Robin is a good choice for us. His physicality alone will keep teams on the perimeter which will reduce their fg% and play into our team concept.

He has experience with amar'e and fields and a good understanding of how d'antoni, his staff and the system work. He has the skills to be a beast both defensively and offensively. He is athletic and strong and would hopefully give the knicks defense an identity. He is certainly a HUGE upgrade over pretty much every other Center option on our team last year.

Lopez > Turiaf, Jefferies, SWilliams etc.

On Sun's FO saying "period. exclamation point" on trades: yeah, i do not think they are going to trade gortat. Nash could get them plenty on the market tho, so while I don't think they are shopping Nash, they would certainly entertain trades that provided them with young talent and potential for the uphill "rebuilding" stage they are facing. Or maybe they feel that Nash is one tough son of a gun, with supreme Canadian Lumber Jack blood and know that he'll be playing into his 50's and they will not move him.

Either way, The suns are certainly open to moving Lopez and we have an opportunity to swipe him now while his stock is low. With our current options at Center, i think we have to at least make a play for him.

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    So you'd want to give up TD or Fields for a player that's only a little bit better than Jeffries?
    Yes. I don't need to see the video. All I had to see was how we were +60 effeciency rating with Jared Jeffries on the floor.

I'd do:
    Td for Lopez
    Landry for Lopez
    Or TD & Landry for Lopez & Nash
    Easy!

I don't know what's so hard to understand

Only a BIG can fix our issues and HE SHOULD be better than Jeffries to see real improvements.

We need to amass BIG men assets so signing Jordan and trading for Lopez along with having Turiaf is a good start.

Anyone who disagrees must present an argument that the stats don't make readily apparent.

I could argue the knicks could draft Allan Iverson, or Isaiah Thomas or even acquire Nash in his prime...

And WITHOUT a couple of bigs WON'T Make a difference!

Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper

check out this link

I for one wouldnt mind him ; he fills a need on this team better than more shooters which we have enough of. meaning guys who take shots in volume.

lopez is legit 7 foot, legit blocking, legit hustle, and legit physical with opposing bigs.

him along side amare would be huge for us

stop being haters because you dont hear much of a guy

and dont act like lopez was the reason the suns didnt make the playoffs.

making a hugggge trade half way through the season was the reasons why the suns didnt make the playoffs, which at that point lopez came back from an injury with no chemistry to play along side gortat battling for minutes.

gortat is better

but lopez is what we need on this team

check the video see for yourself.

Like I said video is nothing compared to the stats...

The Knicks were MUCH better with a legit big on the floor. Period.

This is not rocket science.

With Stat & Melo and CB during this off-season it's....

BIG OR BUST!

Default who hasn't figured this out yet?

Espn.com
    1. A LEGIT SCORING STARTING CENTER
    First of all, before you bash Jeffries -- something that nearly every Knicks fan has done since the season ended -- consider this: The numbers prove he was actually effective on the floor, especially while playing alongside Stoudemire, albeit in only about 250 minutes of action. On an individual basis, Jeffries was plus-87 points (in comparison, Ronny Turiaf was minus-11 and Williams was minus-29), and ranking the Knicks' 4-5 combos, Jeffries-Stoudemire was the best at plus-62. In comparison to Turiaf, who started most of the time at center, when Jeffries was on the court, the team played more efficiently and Stoudemire shot at a higher percentage. Take a look:

Player Team Offensive Rating Team Defensive Rating Net +/- Stoudemire FG%
    Jeffries 122.2 108.2 14.0 50 %
    Turiaf 108.4 107.1 1.3 44 %
    But even with Jeffries' ability to space the floor, defend and take charges, the Knicks were missing something big: interior scoring. The Knicks ranked 18th in points in the paint and 20th in second-chance points this past season. This is not to say they need Howard to fix their problems, but they need at least a B-tier center who not only has some Jeffries in him but also can post up and go to work as well as rebound. The Knicks ranked 20th-worst in the league, averaging 40.5 boards.

Realistic available free-agent centers: Kwame Brown (unrestricted), Samuel Dalembert (unrestricted), Reggie Evans (unrestricted), Chuck Hayes (unrestricted), Ryan Hollins (unrestricted with a player option) and Chris Wilcox (unrestricted).

Scout's take: "They definitely could use a big, physical guy. Centers are not easy to get, though, so I'm not going to dwell on that. Look at Miami with Joel Anthony, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Erick Dampier and Jamaal Magloire. Unless there's cap space or something otherwise, that's not an easy thing to go get. Point guards and centers are the two toughest things to get, and that's why if you can get good ones, it's so much more valuable than a good 2 or a good 3. It's easier to put a serviceable 3 or 4 with Chris Paul or with Dwight Howard than it is to put a serviceable 5 or 1 with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Miami, though, has such a talented 2 and 3 that they make up for a lot of that obviously."
    I mean only an INSANE person repeats the same mistakes.

^^ Allt he Centers on that FA list suck just as much or worse than Robin Lopez on offense if that's what you're implying.

Originally Posted by StEpHoN_mArBuRy
    ^^ Allt he Centers on that FA list suck just as much or worse than Robin Lopez on offense if that's what you're implying.
    F*ck the list its the point that matters.

Why are we using "offense" and big in the same sentence?

Stat and Melo....HELLO!
    Among the worst in opponents fg%, and rebounds.....HELLO!

Big or bust!

If it costs us Douglas, fine.

If it costs us Douglas and Fields, 50/50.

If it costs us Turiaf, Douglas and the [potential] 30th pick, fine - no! - good.

Lopez has the experience, size, youth and mobility any team wants out of an NBA center.

Is he better than Jeffries? Yes, he is. Are you ****ing serious!?

Jeffries is a good help defender that guards the perimeter well. Is that what we need? If you say yes, you should slap your mother for failing.

We need an interior presence that can body opposing centres.

Does anyone, A-NY-ONE, remember Jermaine O'Neal in the Boston series? Does anyone remember how many front court players had career nights against us this year? Greg Monroe? Remember that? No. You do not.

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Red
    F*ck the list its the point that matters.

Why are we using "offense" and big in the same sentence?

Stat and Melo....HELLO!
    Among the worst in opponents fg%, and rebounds.....HELLO!

Big or bust!
    I'm a broken record, I know. But we're a team that is simply incapable of a favourable defensive/offensive efficiency.

Our offence is ****.

Our defence is worse.

Boston were actually a worse rebounding team than their opponents all season. Except for one orange and blue exception. No point following through on that little fact. We all get it. Or do we?