#17 Pick Nyk - Iman Shumpert

NYKNICKS4LIFE

Benchwarmer
Knicks buy New Orleans Pick and select Josh Harrelson out of Kentucky. Never even heard of him but is he our Great "Big" White Hope? UGH Give me Selby

Solid Pick up if the Trade is approved

ESPN draft special has not stated the trade w/ NO

I wonder did they get the pick with cash?

Harrelson is 275lbs who gives solid picks

good pick and pop center with 3pt Range:beer::peace::gony:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I don't mind this Guy I watched tape on him and the skills are there he just needs to finesse them. He has the form on his J so with work it will improve and he's very athletic and runs the floor really well. He will get his points cause he's smart athletic and gets to the line he could be a very nice player for us year one and could really develop into a solid 6th man for us long run or even start as a one or two. That's what makes him great. I've been really high on this Guy for some time and so this pick is justifiable and his play will impress. Hell help on guys like Wade Allen as well as Rondo and rose and allows just to keep billups fresh by guarding slower players or whatever. I like the pick and he will be productive I like his work ethic

platnumn

Benchwarmer
yeh bro i dont want to see fields or TD go but knicks magement screwed the fans over.... hes 6'6, the sessions trade will happen b4 july 1st, the cav's will be shopping sessions and we didnt answer one of our biggest needs a back up point guard so count on that trade happening.

KNICKS ARE NOT trading for Sessions!!! Guy can't hit a 3-pointer to save his life hahahaha. You and everyone else who thinks Knicks are trading for him does not read articles or look at stats.

Same thing applies to Van Gundy. After walking out on the Knicks 20 games in, Dolan will NEVER let him come back.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The following info is all from Alan Hahn's twitter. As you all most likely know, Alan Hahn is Newsday's NYK Beat reporter.

According to Hahn, Shumpert first caught Donnie Walsh's eye when he shut down Jimmer Fredette in a one-on-one coverage. Hahn also says that Walsh passed on Singleton because the last thing the Knicks need is a forward to take minutes away from Carmelo Anthony.

Walsh also maintains that Shumpert shot well at the Knicks' workout. Walsh reportedly said "His shot's not broken." In other words, his form is likely pretty good and he just needs some more adjustment and practice, not to mention being on a team where he's not the only option on offense.

Hahn's last Shumpert-related tweet was that the Knicks were hoping for Shumpert to guard 2's alongside Chauncey Billups whilst having Billups play the 2 guard position on offense with Shumpert in the pick and roll.

I'm not sure how realistic those hopes are, but if he can hit the outside jumper, he'll be a valuable player if his defense translates over to the NBA.

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
Duno if this article was already posted on Shumpert, but good info about his game and why Donnie took a shot at him. Also mentioned that the Knicks had a trade worked out where they could have moved up- But the team they had talks with ended up getting their guy, so the deal didn't happen.

Knicks take a shot on Iman Shumpert

By Chris Sheridan

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- The book on Iman Shumpert was that he couldn't shoot. But when the New York Knicks saw him knocking down shot after shot when they worked him out, they determined the book was outdated.
Outgoing Knicks president Donnie Walsh raved about Shumpert's shooting ability, his defensive abilities and his 40-inch vertical leap Thursday night after the Knicks took the Georgia Tech combo guard with the 17th pick in the draft, passing over Marshon Brooks of Providence, Chris Singleton of Florida State and Kenneth Faried of Morehead State.

"He shot the ball extremely well. His shot's not broke. Some guys you see, and you can tell right away they can't shoot and they're going to have to learn form. He has good form, he was hitting shots, he can defend very well. Very well. And he's got tremendously long arms, so I really liked him a lot," Walsh said.
Walsh said the Knicks had one trade in the works that would have allowed them to move up, but the team they were talking to ended up having the opportunity to draft the player they wanted.
He said the Knicks chose a defensive-minded guard rather than a defensive-minded forward simply because of the lack of playing time opportunities available at those positions behind Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire.
"As the draft went on, because there [were] other guys that could have fallen to us, and I was like 'Whoa, if he falls down, we're going to have to take him.' And they got taken right before us, and we ended up doing what we did, and I was happy with that," Walsh said. "At some point you look and there was three teams to pick, and you had four players there, so you know we were going to do all right."
Players Walsh was likely referring to include Southern Cal center Nikola Vucevic, who went No. 16 to Philadelphia, and Kawhi Leonard, who went at No. 15 to Indiana and was traded to San Antonio.
Walsh said the Knicks would still try to determine whether it was possible to purchase a second-round pick, but he said (late in the first round) there was no one left on the board who was going to be able to come in next season and be an impact player.
Shumpert worked out for the Knicks on June 9 and was assigned to defend Hofstra guard Charles Jenkins.

"I shot it real well. I impressed everybody. They all said I couldn't shoot, and I shot it well," said Shumpert, who estimated he made 17 or 18 of 25 NBA-range 3-point shots during shooting drills.
The 6-foot-6 Shumpert, who played three seasons at Georgia Tech, shot only 28 percent from 3-point range and a shade below 41 percent from the field, but he did average 2.87 steals, eighth-best in the NCAA.
Walsh said he expected Shumpert to play at times in a two-guard alignment with Chauncey Billups in which Billups would man the off-guard position. Shumpert's addition adds depth to a Knicks backcourt that also includes Toney Douglas and Landry Fields, but the Knicks still have a huge hole to fill at center, where Ronny Turiaf is their only big man under contract for next season.
"We did get to the playoffs, which I said was my goal for the third year, and we did have a winning record," Walsh said. "Once we made the [Anthony] trade, we got two stars but we lost a lot of pieces that need to play with stars. And the job now is to replace them. Because of the trade, we're not in a great cap position for [this summer], but the following summer we're in a great position.
"So the job now is to manage the cap and to add pieces that will cover up whatever it is we don't have out there, and obviously big people are that. And so we're very aware of that," said Walsh, whose tenure as team president will end in one week.

KNICKS ARE NOT trading for Sessions!!! Guy can't hit a 3-pointer to save his life hahahaha. You and everyone else who thinks Knicks are trading for him does not read articles or look at stats.

Same thing applies to Van Gundy. After walking out on the Knicks 20 games in, Dolan will NEVER let him come back.

lol ok that what u think, but not to long ago the knicks wanted to sign him but he turned them down so I odnt think they were worrying about his 3 point shooting then? and this guy is a slasher not a shooter did u watch the Knicks vs. Cavs game where he had 22 points?

NYKnicks15

Starter
Would I prefer a different player with this pick? yes but whats done is done and on the bright side this kid is 6'6 with a 36.5 vertical leap. He can push the ball and defend three positions. He shuts down players in transition. Last I checked Miami, who we need to go through to win a championship at any point, our beasts in the transition game.

I like some of the guys you are mentioning here but at the end of the day I keep hearing offense.. and im sorry we dont need offense. we need a shut down guard, a shot blocker and a banger down low. Today we drafted 2 of those 3.. and if Jerome Jordan comes here next year we have the potential of covering all 3 needs.

Jerome Jordan, Ronny Turiaf
Amare Stoudemire, Josh Harrellson
Carmelo Anthony, Renaldo balkman
Landry Fields, bill walker, Iman shumpert, Andy rautins
Chauncey billups, Toney Douglas

decisions to make. and an offseason to go.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I hav'nt watched Shumpert play very much but I hope he and TD can cause some major problems for the other teams.They both play good defense and it looks like they have the ability to get hot and put up huge numbers.Hope Shumpert is one of those players that will take the NBA by storm and play great for years.

Did Marybury retire?

Man I was looking foward to having josh selby on our team so bummed :(

Should of been singleton, brooks, or faried with the 17th, def. could have used anyone of those guys as trade bait for a superstar or jsut use them.

And then they take that big white guy that can shoot over josh selby, camelo's boi, lol selby would have been a sick backup to billups kid can str8 out shoot, jump, hes quick as **** man.