Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: #17 Pick Nyk - Iman Shumpert

I said to myself it had to be Farried, it had to be, we need size but of course since Dantoni is the coach of this team= Guards over what makes sense

not only does he blow but teams KNOW why he's out there when we put him out there

I take it, some aren't happy...

man Shumpert, first round pick?
    June, 23, 2011
    JUN 23
    3:51
    PM ET

By Eamonn Brennan
    OK, NBA draft. I give up. You win.

For all the faux-confusion I frequently direct at the NBA draft -- especially around Seebpomd time -- typically, I get where NBA general managers are coming from. (Except Timberwolves GM David Kahn. Kahhhnnn!) You're drafting players on potential. You're filling needs. You're stockpiling for the future. All of these things aren't mutually exclusive to selecting productive, successful college basketball players, but those interests don't always align. I get it.

Still, sometimes you look at a mock draft board, and you see Iman Shumpert being projected as a first-round pick ... and the cognitive dissonance is enough to make you dizzy. What on Earth is going on here? Iman Shumpert? Are we talking about the same player?

As of this writing -- which is just a few hours before what should be a wild and wacky NBA draft; no one really seems to know what's going to happen -- ESPN Insider Chad Ford's mock draft lists Shumpert as the No. 20 overall pick in the 2011 NBA draft, a pick that belongs to the Minnesota Timberwolves. (Kahhhhnnn!)

That's momentous news for Shumpert, who seemed certain to go low in the second round (or even undrafted) when he decided to forgo his senior season at Georgia Tech and enter the draft this spring. It's also difficult to fathom. Ford's reasoning (read: the reasoning of the NBA general managers who Chad talks to about these things) goes like this:
    The Wolves added some serious offensive pop with the arrival of Ricky Rubio and, in this mock, Derrick Williams. Shumpert would give them a major defensive presence in their backcourt. While he's not the most offensively gifted player in the draft, his ability to guard both backcourt positions, combined with his elite athleticism, make him an interesting choice at No. 20.

I suppose I can understand that reasoning. Shumpert is a solid, versatile defender. Fair enough.

Still, there are a handful of other solid, versatile defenders out there, and they happen to be players -- Nolan Smith, Shelvin Mack, Tyler Honeycutt, Jimmy Butler, E'Twaun Moore, even DeAndre Liggins! -- who are also a) able to play offense and b) likely to be available in the second round, via trade, or as undrafted free agents. All of those players experienced much greater levels of success in college than Shumpert did. All of them actively made their teams better, which is not something we could always say for the Georgia Tech guard.

In his defense, Shumpert did improve during his junior season, and his 25.7 percent assist rate was encouraging. But it's hard not to feel like Shumpert is the beneficiary of that age-old draft red herring: workouts. Shumpert tested well at the draft combine. Scouts were impressed by his athleticism in individual sessions. "Hey, he jumps higher than we thought. Maybe he's not so bad after all!"

The problem -- and college hoops fans already know this -- is that Shumpert has always been a great athlete. He's always "tested well." Between the lines, though, he's never played up to potential. He's never shot the ball well. He's never been an effective distributor. With Shumpert at the helm -- and this isn't entirely his fault; Paul Hewitt shares this blame, too -- Georgia Tech's offense has often looked downright lost.

At the risk of sounding like an old, stodgy baseball writer, winning does matter. Shumpert's career record at Georgia Tech? 48-50. Twenty-three of those wins came in 2010, when Derrick Favors, last year's No. 3 overall pick, patrolled the paint next to 2010 second round pick Gani Lawal. And the Yellow Jackets were still pretty mediocre.

Anyway, this isn't meant to pick on Shumpert. Honestly, if he goes first round tonight, good for him. No, this post is for the NBA scouts and general managers who overlook three years of reliable data and game footage and hastily ignore it for the chance to give an elite athlete a guaranteed first-round contract. It's as valid here as it is when a team selects a foreign prospect thanks to a few exciting shots over the outstretched arms of steel folding chairs. Yes, this is a weak draft, and yes, there's something to be said for filling a need ... but really? Iman Shumpert? A first round pick?

Somebody hold me. The NBA draft is always wild, and the Timberwolves are the Timberwolves (Kahhhhhnn!) but if Shumpert is a first round pick, then tonight can't possibly be anything less than totally insane. Frankly, I can't wait.

Originally Posted by Knicksdabest
    we let chris singleton drop....unreal.
    +1 un- ****ing- real

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    lol that was fast knicksfansince92

We got a guy that will have to guard Wade, Ray Allen, and other punk ass faggit shooting guards that think them and there team are beatin us
    SG who think they will just shoot uncontested against the NYK

got a whole another thing coming

his first name "IMAN" alone will strike fear all those who oppose

the NYK Championship Run 2012

Unhappy

............Huh?

Singleton sizes up draft process and Knicks
    June, 23, 2011
    JUN 23
    3:45
    PM ET

By Jared Zwerling

Earlier this morning at the Westin Hotel, I met up with green room invite Chris Singleton, who's been high on the Knicks' prospect radar since the pre-draft process started in May. His defensive shut-down skills, long-range shooting ability and athleticism (he has a 37.5" vertical leap) would be great additions to the Knicks. Singleton and I spoke about many topics, including his experience the past two months working out and interviewing with teams, and thoughts on teaming up with Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony in New York.

Originally Posted by NYKNICKS4LIFE
    SG who think they will just shoot uncontested against the NYK

got a whole another thing coming

his first name "IMAN" alone will strike fear all those who oppose

the NYK Championship Run 2012

Il iek him but hes not worth the 17th pick at all, chris singleton could guard the 2,3,4 better than iman who can only guards the 1 and 2...... reallly bad pick.

Superstar

Originally Posted by KnickFanInKC
    we had that already and let em walk.

his name. Corey Brewer.
    That's an excellent point. Not only that but supposedly we just worked out Javaris Crittenton in that 2-day FA mini-camp we just held and really liked him. Crittenton compares very favorable to Shumpert and guess what? We can go out and get him FOR NOTHING! PLUS we still have Toney Douglas who's a similar defense-first combo guard to Shumpert (only a little smaller) except TD's probably a better offensive player. Definitely a better shooter...I mean take Nolan Smith and go for the more natural point guard if you wanted to go that route, no? I don't get it..Hey they loved Shumpert and that's that I guess..

I really wanted Vucevic -- too bad the Sixers beat us on him by one pick..WTF happened to moving up in this draft??? Let's see what else happens...Hopefully we acquire an extra pick or two and add some more talent.

near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG

Like Spike Lee said I trust Donnie Walsh judgement.

I was also shocked with Faried, Hamilton and Singleton still on the board. I also felt if the Knicks were going to draft a sg it would be Marshon Brooks. Another person I was high on was Klay to bad he's just that good and got picked earlier.

Veteran

Exactly. We could have signed Javaris Crittendon to a minimum-level contract. Then we could've picked up Chris Singleton or Marshon Brooks.

I know Shumpert is a good defender but Singleton was a good defender too and let's not forget Singleton actually had some offensive game. I know Shumpert is athletic and strong but other than that...

I dunno. At the end of the day if he ends up being the next Tony Allen I won't complain about it.

I wanted Faried. A guard.. really?

Superstar

Agree. I like Brooks a lot more than Shumpert..I'm surprised Brooks is still available..Continues to slip.

yeh but bro iman wasnt at the draft lol he knew he didnt htink he would go in the first round, maybe its payback for not listening to walsh idk maybe walsh ****ed us over , u never know

Superstar

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Exactly. We could have signed Javaris Crittendon to a minimum-level contract. Then we could've picked up Chris Singleton or Marshon Brooks.

I know Shumpert is a good defender but Singleton was a good defender too and let's not forget Singleton actually had some offensive game. I know Shumpert is athletic and strong but other than that...

I dunno. At the end of the day if he ends up being the next Tony Allen I won't complain about it.
    True..Wasn't a terrible pick..Good comparison to Tony Allen btw..That wouldn't be terrible at all.

If he turns out to be as good as Gerald Wilkens we'll be lucky. But defending college kids in the ACC doesn't mean you can defend Wade, Kobe, Rose and Allen. Nobody in the world can lock those guys down. I seriously doubt Chumpert will be effective. Another Fields, but this time we got that at 17 instead of the second round.