Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Iman Shumpert comparison?

lol idk this guy is no D wade or evans, he is a very streaky shooter and very unconsistant. He could be compared to tony allen at best.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

tony allen is a good comparison although i think his ceiling is higher then that. the potential is there to be so much more elusive on offense his defense is already up to par- actually it passes the bar. now its on our coaches as well as him( although he's a gym rat ) to get his shot where it needs to be consistently.

i see him becoming a chandler at the guard positions basically.

As of right now.. He reminds me alittle of Demar Derozan and Tony Allen mixed.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Originally Posted by StEpHoN_mArBuRy
    As of right now.. He reminds me alittle of Demar Derozan and Tony Allen mixed.
    damn interesting comparison. i love this dudes game i think he's gonna be a beast for us this coming season, his transition game fits and his defense is great to guard the likes for wade&rose. was high on this guy for a while and loved us taking him.

Like the Larry Hughes comparison probably a little more athletic\

Like the Toney Allen comparison yet he's likely more well rounded

Tyreke Evans is also another good comparison

Absolute Worst Case (nightmare/bust scenerio):More Athletic Mardy Collins

Worst Case: Stronger Shawn Livingston (pre injury)

Likely Case: Lock down defending Shannon Brown

Absoulte Best Case (Dream/Boozer Rondo,and Manu type steal Scenerio): Taller Russell Westbrook

His size and atletic ability makes it hard to make an exact comparison to anyone

But, This kid should be steady for us, the only thing that scares me (the same as every other year with the draft) is how the players picked behind him turn out to be.
    Last edited by New New York; Jun 24, 2011 at 19:04.

A younger, smaller guard version of Jared Jeffries. I'm sure his defense will get better playing with our Knicks...

Veteran

I think we have some underrating and overrating taking place. We have to see him play in the nba before we draw conclusions but as much as I dont want to say it.. the best comparison is that of Larry Hughes. (good job on that everyone) I think the only things different are that Iman has a coachable/better attitude/mentality and is more athletic. And because of that his potential is pretty good. Will he be star? most likely not but a very solid player? yes.. granted he takes lessons on shooting from Mike D (while he is still here)

Hmmmmm.
    I'd say a Dahntay Jones with more potential
    Hopefully he'll blossom with the help of our BIG3

Welcome back Metro you'll have to keep us posted on your boxing I'd love to see a youtube video (no homo) or eventually on msg. Where do you get most of your ko's, on here or in the ring?

Thumbs up

Ok so...

His speed and athleticism makes him ideal for this "system"
    Ala Nash

His size and defense make him versitile to play and guard multiple positions which is something Nash can't do
    + at 6'6 202 his body should be NBA ready

And he gets to learn from one of the best in CB...

All that's left is to gauge his IQ/decision making ability, how fast can he catch on with this "system", and his passing ability (4.3apg). Ray Felton avg's 8+apg in comparison.

At first I thought he was picked to run sg/sf duties (and being defensive minded) ala Wilson Chandler since Donnie mentioned replacing what we lost...

But if he's here primarily to be the heir apparent at PG

We might have something.

We know this "system" is tailor made for an athletic guard. We would be bitch*ng IF said guard couldn't play D. It nice that his body seems NBA ready. And we've witnessed how this regime at the least can improve scoring numbers. The potential is there.

I take the Brewer comparison back. This guy may be unique in this system. Maybe some type of Hybrid.

Now that I think about it he may save Moa's job. May even be running the point by year end if we trade CB and he develops. May even replace Fields. Lots of possibilities (hopefully there is a season)

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    Welcome back Metro you'll have to keep us posted on your boxing I'd love to see a youtube video (no homo) or eventually on msg. Where do you get most of your ko's, on here or in the ring?
    Haha, my man. I miss you. I'll give my fare share of ko's at both places because I know this place always need some entertainment and I'm always willing to provide it. How you been?

What do you guys think of a Latrell Sprewell comparison? Both guys play 3 positions, athletics freaks, picked around the same number. If Iman works on his jumper and post game, I can see him having a Sprewell like career.

He can't shoot a lick...good thing we don't need scoring.

I would have preferred Singleton or Faried, but Shumpert could be our Bruce Bowen-like stopper. We'll see how he pans out, but I think this move was done in part to allow us to move Toney Douglas if need be, which is a shame b/c I do like Douglas.

In any case, basically I see this guy as carrying the duties of stopping the other team's number 1 guy one-on-one. His physical tools are off the charts, but a lot of playing defense against guys like LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Rose is not being afraid of playing defense against LeBron, Kobe, Wade and Rose. Mentally, we will only know in time how he will adjust.

I'd like to see him develop a J, but I'm not killing the Knicks for taking a guy who can't score...we have two guys who can fill it up no problem.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    He can't shoot a lick...good thing we don't need scoring.

I would have preferred Singleton or Faried, but Shumpert could be our Bruce Bowen-like stopper. We'll see how he pans out, but I think this move was done in part to allow us to move Toney Douglas if need be, which is a shame b/c I do like Douglas.

In any case, basically I see this guy as carrying the duties of stopping the other team's number 1 guy one-on-one. His physical tools are off the charts, but a lot of playing defense against guys like LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Rose is not being afraid of playing defense against LeBron, Kobe, Wade and Rose. Mentally, we will only know in time how he will adjust.

I'd like to see him develop a J, but I'm not killing the Knicks for taking a guy who can't score...we have two guys who can fill it up no problem.
    Well he did almost average 18 ppg in the ACC his Junior Year. He has scoring potential.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Well he did almost average 18 ppg in the ACC his Junior Year. He has scoring potential.
    Yeah but he's shooting barely 40% from the field. He can, if he gets his shots, of course fill it up...

He also needs to control his turnovers...and he will have to adjust to moving the ball as opposed to dominating it.

Again, I think Faried filled a more immediate need, but he could pan out.

Welcome back, btw.

I'm thinking Ron Harper...