Best Iman Shumpert comparison?

KingofNy

Starter
A younger, smaller guard version of Jared Jeffries. I'm sure his defense will get better playing with our Knicks... ;)

NYKnicks15

Starter
I think we have some underrating and overrating taking place. We have to see him play in the nba before we draw conclusions but as much as I dont want to say it.. the best comparison is that of Larry Hughes. (good job on that everyone) I think the only things different are that Iman has a coachable/better attitude/mentality and is more athletic. And because of that his potential is pretty good. Will he be star? most likely not but a very solid player? yes.. granted he takes lessons on shooting from Mike D (while he is still here)

KingCharles34

All Star
Welcome back Metro you'll have to keep us posted on your boxing I'd love to see a youtube video (no homo) or eventually on msg. Where do you get most of your ko's, on here or in the ring? :lol:

Red

TYPE-A
Ok so...

His speed and athleticism makes him ideal for this "system"
Ala Nash

His size and defense make him versitile to play and guard multiple positions which is something Nash can't do
+ at 6'6 202 his body should be NBA ready

And he gets to learn from one of the best in CB...

All that's left is to gauge his IQ/decision making ability, how fast can he catch on with this "system", and his passing ability (4.3apg). Ray Felton avg's 8+apg in comparison.

At first I thought he was picked to run sg/sf duties (and being defensive minded) ala Wilson Chandler since Donnie mentioned replacing what we lost...

But if he's here primarily to be the heir apparent at PG

We might have something.

We know this "system" is tailor made for an athletic guard. We would be bitch*ng IF said guard couldn't play D. It nice that his body seems NBA ready. And we've witnessed how this regime at the least can improve scoring numbers. The potential is there.

I take the Brewer comparison back. This guy may be unique in this system. Maybe some type of Hybrid.

Now that I think about it he may save Moa's job. May even be running the point by year end if we trade CB and he develops. May even replace Fields. Lots of possibilities (hopefully there is a season)

metrocard

Legend
Welcome back Metro you'll have to keep us posted on your boxing I'd love to see a youtube video (no homo) or eventually on msg. Where do you get most of your ko's, on here or in the ring? :lol:

Haha, my man. I miss you. I'll give my fare share of ko's at both places because I know this place always need some entertainment and I'm always willing to provide it. How you been?

What do you guys think of a Latrell Sprewell comparison? Both guys play 3 positions, athletics freaks, picked around the same number. If Iman works on his jumper and post game, I can see him having a Sprewell like career.

KBlack25

Starter
He can't shoot a lick...good thing we don't need scoring.

I would have preferred Singleton or Faried, but Shumpert could be our Bruce Bowen-like stopper. We'll see how he pans out, but I think this move was done in part to allow us to move Toney Douglas if need be, which is a shame b/c I do like Douglas.

In any case, basically I see this guy as carrying the duties of stopping the other team's number 1 guy one-on-one. His physical tools are off the charts, but a lot of playing defense against guys like LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Rose is not being afraid of playing defense against LeBron, Kobe, Wade and Rose. Mentally, we will only know in time how he will adjust.

I'd like to see him develop a J, but I'm not killing the Knicks for taking a guy who can't score...we have two guys who can fill it up no problem.

metrocard

Legend
He can't shoot a lick...good thing we don't need scoring.

I would have preferred Singleton or Faried, but Shumpert could be our Bruce Bowen-like stopper. We'll see how he pans out, but I think this move was done in part to allow us to move Toney Douglas if need be, which is a shame b/c I do like Douglas.

In any case, basically I see this guy as carrying the duties of stopping the other team's number 1 guy one-on-one. His physical tools are off the charts, but a lot of playing defense against guys like LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Rose is not being afraid of playing defense against LeBron, Kobe, Wade and Rose. Mentally, we will only know in time how he will adjust.

I'd like to see him develop a J, but I'm not killing the Knicks for taking a guy who can't score...we have two guys who can fill it up no problem.

Well he did almost average 18 ppg in the ACC his Junior Year. He has scoring potential.

KBlack25

Starter
Well he did almost average 18 ppg in the ACC his Junior Year. He has scoring potential.

Yeah but he's shooting barely 40% from the field. He can, if he gets his shots, of course fill it up...

He also needs to control his turnovers...and he will have to adjust to moving the ball as opposed to dominating it.

Again, I think Faried filled a more immediate need, but he could pan out.

Welcome back, btw.

metrocard

Legend
Yeah but he's shooting barely 40% from the field. He can, if he gets his shots, of course fill it up...

He also needs to control his turnovers...and he will have to adjust to moving the ball as opposed to dominating it.

Again, I think Faried filled a more immediate need, but he could pan out.

Welcome back, btw.

I liked Fareid alot also and he was my number one guy left on the board.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
One reason he forced up a ton of bad shots I think was because let's be real Georgia Tech was pretty freaking awful the past year.

On a team with Carmelo and Amar'e where he's really only going to be scoring when he has an open lane, I think we'll see those shooting percentages go up. Again I see him kinda like a Tony Allen-type where his primary role isn't to score but he'll take the ball to the basket in a one on one fast break or if he has a wide open lane because Carmelo is getting double teamed.

This could potentially be a really great pick because this kid has MAD hops.

Also Metrocard it's great to see you back!

iJoe

Rotation player
Long arms and crazy ups? I can see the similarities to Wade.

Speaking of which.... Wade is a freaking Gorilla..... 6 4 with a near 6 11 wingspan!!? Thats insane..... Shumpert is about 6 5 with near a 6 10 wingspan. Very similar length