Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D'Antoni says Shumpert can cover Wade, LeBron, DRose

Default D'Antoni says Shumpert can cover Wade, LeBron, DRose

I Like D'Antoni's bravery in saying this-- But, waaaaay too early to say it. He hasn't played one game at the NBA level yet, and Shumpert doesn't yet know how much of a different pace the game is played at from College to NBA Level. Maybe in a few years Iman can match up on these guys, but these are SUPERSTARS, almost impossible to guard.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Here’s a nice quote from Knicks head coach Mike D’Antoni about first round pick Iman Shumpert that’s going to get misconstrued all over the place.
    “He has the athletic ability to guard a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ],” D’Antoni said Friday.
    The Knicks need defense, and they drafted Shumpert, and based off of that quote, you can take the approach that D’Antoni said Shumpert can guard Rose, Wade, or James. But that’s not actually what he said.
    To defend players of that caliber, you need athleticism, instincts, skills, and savvy. All of that, plus some luck, will probably get you to hold them to 43 percent shooting or worse. Throw in some help defense from teammates (on the Knicks! Haha, what a funny joke!) and you’ve got a better chance at getting them to 30% or worse. But you do need athleticism. D’Antoni’s not saying Shumpert’s going to come in and guard those guys, that’s obviously insanity. But having that kind of athleticism means Shumpert can be a defensive weapon in time.
    Now, whether he’ll actually wind up getting the defensive attention he needs to become that kind of defender under D’Antoni is a separate question.

Nothing wrong with that statement. Iman does have the athletic ability and size to guard those guys, but does he have the defensive acumen to do so effectively?

Veteran

I honestly think that Donnie Walsh drafted him solely for the fact that opposing superstar backcourt players have made us into their bitches over the past few years. IE Ray Allen, Kobe, Dwyane Wade...

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

ahh having shumpert guarding allen on that last possession in game1 couldve really changed things loll. he's long and athletic just what the doctor ordered to guard/stop rondo, and he can cover passing lanes to slow wades kick out. this dude is exactly what we need. i see him getting a stable 25-30 minutes a game. and not only for defense either i feel his offense is pretty good as well. he wont be forced to take shots playing with billups, melo, and stat as he'll likely be the 4th-5th option on the court so fast breaks and open shots are his tool of trade in year 1.

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    I honestly think that Donnie Walsh drafted him solely for the fact that opposing superstar backcourt players have made us into their bitches over the past few years. IE Ray Allen, Kobe, Dwyane Wade...
    Yeah.. and people say they don't understand how having a guy who can defend on the perimeter will help us.. Ridiculous. Learn the game people.

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Yeah.. and people say they don't understand how having a guy who can defend on the perimeter will help us.. Ridiculous. Learn the game people.
    I'm happy to have him never said I wasnt guy can play sick D.

Question Mark

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Who said that!? It wasn't our biggest need, but it was right up there.

Suns' media are throwing out the Nash trade rumours already.

Shumpert doesnít fit in with the Knicks and it is probably unlikely to see significant playing time from DíAntoni if they decide to keep him, especially with Toney Douglas on the current roster. A Shumpert, Landry Fields and Chauncey Billups plus possibly a future first round pick could be just enough for New York to get Nash.
    Billups could step in to be the Suns starter for just this season while mentoring Shumpert to become this teamís starter a year from now. Fields could step in to be this teamís starter at shooting guard and Phoenix could add a future piece in next yearís draft, which is expected to be very rich and deep with talent.

This deal as of now if just speculative on my part, but it does make some sense. Hopefully the Suns brass will take a look at this article and use it as a general overview if they decide to change their minds and trade the two-time MVP during this offseason.
    Moronic.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Originally Posted by Carmelo Iz Filthy
    I'm happy to have him never said I wasnt guy can play sick D.
    Have you made 200 posts this month!? WOAH

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    Who said that!? It wasn't our biggest need, but it was right up there.
    The guy who has a color for his name that's synomous w crimson.

He said numerous timea that he didn't understand how Paul would help defensively. Like having a great defensive PG wouldn't help us against other pesky penetrating PGs like Deron, Rose, Westbrook, Rondo etc etc. He even asked me to explain it to him recently, which I did relunctantly. I shouldn't have to explain the game to people..

But now that we got a guy who'll hopefully be able to guard other star 2s all of a sudden there's no more questions about what having a legit stopper along the perimeter means for our team. Smh..

MDA also said Gallo was the best shooter he's ever seen too. Take anything this guy says with a grain of salt, he lets his foot lead the way most of the time.

Shump was pretty good at guarding college players but now all of a sudden he's gonna lock down the NBA's elite in a Mike Antoni system? Keep dreaming Mike. In reality Mike's statement reads like "I hope he can play defense because he sure as hell can't shoot the ball."

Superstar

LMAO D'Antoni judging a players Defense.

Plus no one can Guard D Wade (or like i call him the Ghost) for all hte Phantom Foul Calls the NBA loves to give him.

Originally Posted by STAT1
    MDA also said Gallo was the best shooter he's ever seen too. Take anything this guy says with a grain of salt, he lets his foot lead the way most of the time.
    LOL I was going to say this. I would like to see him actually do it well first. Just because D'Antoni says these things doesn't make them true.

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    Have you made 200 posts this month!? WOAH
    Damn I just noticed that too... kinda scary.

Originally Posted by STAT1
    Agreed. He also hyped up AR at the beginning of last season talking about all the ways he could use AR on defense lol. This is not to say that Iman can't defend, I'm just use to MDA doing this all the time with new players and then not followinig through via coaching strategy one the season begins.