Was Shumpert Taken So Nyk Can Land Steve Nash?

mafra

Legend
Did the Knicks Take Shumpert for Potential Nash Deal?

By Tommy Dee on Jun 25, 2011, 6:59 pm

Via Arizonasports.com
On Friday Sports 620 KTAR’s John Gambadoro, on the Gambo and Ash show, brought up an interesting reason for the New York Knicks selecting Shumpert with the 17th pick.​

“There’s something fishy about this pick, there just is,” Gambadoro said. “Mike D’Antoni just drafted a player who can’t shoot and plays defense. Not something Mike really likes.”​

True that. During the head coach’s time in Phoenix, no shot equaled no shot to play for D’Antoni.​

“I don’t think there’s any doubt, in my mind, and I spoke with some people in the NBA…that pick may very well have been made to somehow, some way, down the road land Steve Nash in a Knicks uniform,” Gambadoro added. “Because the Knicks now have a piece that the Phoenix Suns really, really, really want.​

“Really want.”​
Suns management has aggressively denied any interest in dealing their star PG, but many have speculated that if Nash requests a deal then the Suns may be inclined to move him.

(SOURCE: theknicksblog.com)

mafra

Legend
SUNS were definitely interested in Shumpert:

http://arizonasports.com/category/suns-articles/20110622/Suns-choice-between-Morris-and-Shumpert/

"A day before the draft Suns pick could come down to Markieff Morris or Iman Shumpert, Suns brass split on who to take with 24 hours to go."

http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/20...humpert-will-the-phoenix-suns-bite-or-someone

"According to Chad Ford, Shumpert is now getting looks as high as No. 13 to the Phoenix Suns. That is quite a big jump for a player that initially was projected to go in the second round or perhaps even undrafted. The question is whether or not Shumpert is worthy of that type of consideration."

http://arizonasports.com/category/s...-likely-pass-on-Jimmer-to-take-Iman-Shumpert/

http://valleyofthesuns.com/2011/06/23/iman-shumpert-the-phoenix-suns-diamond-in-the-rough/

And so on and so on. AH, now we know why we took Shumpert, or at least why coach casted the deciding vote.

Shumpert and Billups for Nash and Lopez?

to come to think of it the sins were thinking about taking him with the 13th pick,
and Coach D seemed really happy to get Iman for some reason seeing how Iman is not a coach D player.

mafra

Legend
Billups-Turiaf-Balkman-Shumpert for Nash-Pietrus-Lopez?

Nash
Pietrus
Anthony
Amar'e
FREE AGENT (Pryzbilla, Dalembert, or something)

Lopez, Douglas, Fields, Shawne Williams, Jerome Jordan or Josh Harrelson.

Sign a Reggie Evans, Jeff Foster or My-ding-a-Yianlin.

Bring in a reclamation like Redd or Wells.

Or just send Billups-Shumpert-Balkman for Nash-Lopez.

Hope to sign a free agent SG who want to sign for some midlevel exemption and win a title?

moneyg

Starter

Nash
Pietrus
Anthony
Amar'e

Hope to sign a free agent SG who want to sign for some midlevel exemption and win a title?

say no to nash.....sounds like a last ditch effort to save O'antoni's A$$

Nash
Pietrus
Anthony
Amar'e

if we get nash and lopez i would be stoked :D

Nash is the best passing PG in the game, and if anyone derserves a ring its him, along with us NY fans :D

mafra

Legend
if we get nash and lopez i would be stoked :D

Nash is the best passing PG in the game, and if anyone derserves a ring its him, along with us NY fans :D

I think if we can "steal" Lopez (and that infers we believe in his potential moving fwd, and if we can procur Pietrus with Nash-Lopez, w/out having to give them Turiaf... Now is a deal worth making.

Nash
Pietrus
Melo
Amare
Lopez

Turiaf, Fields, Douglas & Shawne Williams.

I would sign a Jeff Foster or Reggie Evans to beef up the interior; hope a vet like Battier, Hill, Richardson or something take a lot less money to win; and then gamble on a Redd, Wells, or Yi.

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
NO NASH! I don't want to trade our youth who could be on the up and up so soon.

Nash may be more of a fit to run D'Antoni's offense but he plays absolute ZERO defense. Billups is a much better defender, and that's what we need.

I will stick with Billups, while keeping Shumpert and Fields and see what these young guys can prove during the season.

THEN, if a deal can be worked out before the deadline to land PAUL-- Then, we're talking... But, IMO pass on any Steve Ash trade ideas.

Wargames

Starter
I don't think this is going to happen. Weird as it sounds I believe the Knicks are going to try to create a little sub squad of players who play defense. that way if necessary the Knicks can put a group of players on the court to play good team defense.

Anyhow anyone who is for this deal have to put this in perspective. Would you be ok with this deal if Isiah was around??? Because we all know he is and all the other team in the league know it to.

I mean why trade Billups, Fields, Iman and Balkman for a aging point guard, a Center who reports say was injured worse than turiaf all of last year, and Pietrus who honestly is very likely what Fields may become in a year or two.

Its not making the knicks better long term in any way but the Suns do get the Knicks defensive prospect. Its all reminiscent of the Nene/McDyess trade from a few years ago. All the Knicks are doing is getting older pieces for their younger players and a drafted player the Suns we're likely willing to give a better player package to another team to be able to draft Iman in the 20's.

Their is no reason to add anything to a Nash, Lopez trade but maybe Billups and T Douglas or Maybe Billups and Turiaf and only if the Lopez passed a full in depth physical.

and even then I don't think the Knicks do the deal for Nash for Billups since Billups can play defense and has the ability to mentor the younger players on the team.

the only deal the Knicks should do T Douglas for Robin Lopez if Robin Lopez proves he still has his vertical ability.

iJoe

Rotation player
I think a lot of you forget that Shumpert actually had a couple of really good shooting workouts. His shot looks very smooth and he made something like 18 of 25 from the 3 line in his NY workout.

Keep in mind that he played with a very poor team, so things are very up in the air about his feel for the game. He's the ultimate gamble. High risk and high reward. No one can say Donnie is afraid to make big time moves.

KingofNy

Starter
Now that pick finally makes sense.... no way Antoni plays a guard who can't shoot. Also the only reason Antoni was ever successful is because of Nash. Makes perfect sense.

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
Now that pick finally makes sense.... no way Antoni plays a guard who can't shoot. Also the only reason Antoni was ever successful is because of Nash. Makes perfect sens

yeah now it's clear why they picked him. Unfortunately if they trade for Nash it means D'Antoni stays as our coach...

yeah now it's clear why they picked him. Unfortunately if they trade for Nash it means D'Antoni stays as our coach...

Or, even worse, MDA is fired anyway and a new coach comes in that has no idea what to do with this anti-defense lineup built around a 37-year-old PG.

CoolClyde

Mustache pick

leave it to the Knicks to pick up players who fill in deficiencies in
the coach's game plan (NO DEFENSE), instead of going with a true PG.
so Sherbert had a good workout and shot the ball well 1 day? wtf,
coach can't see past his shitstache? another Tony Douglas who can't
run the floor? typical knick bs, catering to Antoni's whims and lack
of team defense. if Knicks pick up Nash, it will be last straw move
for Antoni. loser.
loser_toni.jpg

metrocard

Legend
I like this.

The trade that would only work would be

Nash
Pietrus
Lopez

for

Billups
Turiaf
Fields
Shumpert

Knicks would look like

Nash/Douglas
Pietrus/Rautins
Anthony/Walker
Stoudimire/Balkman
Lopez/Jordan

We can upgrade our bench with the MLE, but that starting 5 is almost to perfection. Nash still plays an elite level and would be better with two superstars in Anthony and Stoudimire.

Along with the fact we get a shot blocker/energy guy (tho rebounding isn't strong) in Lopez and an elite perimeter defender in Pietrus who can hit the 3.

If we make this move, expect the Knicks to be better than Chicago and on the same playing field of the Heat, and embarassing the Celtics

metrocard

Legend
Suns would have a nice little future with

Brooks (fast scoring combo guard)
Shumpert (defensive passing guard who compliments Brooks perfectly)
Fields (the perfect glue guy for Phoneix, can play his natural position)
Morris (Rasheed Wallace type)
Gortat (The defensive enforcer)

Not a bad look for the Suns.

mafra

Legend
I would go as far to say I would do that trade only if it was: Shumpert, Billups, Balkman & Turiaf for Lopez-Nash-Pietrus.

We then sign a center (Kwame Brown, Pryzbilla, Foster, Oden, Thomas, Gray) and add a piece like Redd or Wells.

12-man roster something like:

Nash (Douglas)
Pietrus (Fields)
Carmelo
Amar'e
Brown (Lopez)

Shawne Williams, Rautins, Redd/Wells, Harrellson/Jordan

A 2nd unit of Douglas, Fields, Lopez Shawne looks pretty decent.

Thugball

Benchwarmer
Shumpert Balkman and Billups for Nash and Lopez
MLE Battier
sign Ben Hansbrough
Toughen up Lopez

Nash/Douglas/Hansbrough
Battier/Fields
Melo/Williams
STAT/Jeffries
Lopez/Turiaf/Harrelson or J.Jordan

Not bad.