Official Iman Shumpert (steal of the draft ) thread

IMAN SHUMPERT
The Sky Is The Limit

shumpert.jpg

H: 6' 6"
W: 220 lbs
Bday: 06/26/1990
(20 Years Old)

Stole the show at the combine, looking like clearly the most physically gifted player in this entire draft class. To start things off, his 36.5' standing vertical leap was the highest since nick young posted the top mark in our entire historical database (39.5') back in 2007.

ohiostatepg-vertical.jpg

As we've stated in past reports, the intrigue around Shumpert as a potential NBA player revolves around his exceptional physical profile for a player seeing time at the point guard position. Standing 6'4 with an extremely rangy frame, Shumpert is fluid, agile, deceptively quick, and an explosive two-foot leaper.

slideshow_1502695_9a.jpg

The same can't be said for his play on the defensive end, where he has absolutely flourished this season. Combining excellent length and lateral quickness with good intensity, Shumpert is simply exceptional one-on-one, rebounds the ball at an outrageous rate for a guard, and leads all data bases in steals by a pretty considerable margin. Extremely active with his hands and feet, Shumpert does a great job maintaining his balance and denying penetration and has the physical tools to defend multiple positions in the NBA.

Iman+Shumpert+Derrick+Favors+NCAA+Basketball+CpJqXP5QFRSl.jpg

Iman Shumperts Highlights

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ym8hTmdleW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In a weird way

Looks and plays almost identically to this young man who came out of
Marquette a few years back

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sb3txDJRfzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Has triple double potential

http://nbadraft.rivals.com/bviewplayer.asp?player=401894

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/georgia-tech/iman-shumpert

His measurables are jaw dropping and it will leave a lot of scouts and coaches drooling all over the floor. He plays a smooth game at the point guard position at 6'5.5" and 222 lbs. Not only is he blessed with size and strength, but his athleticism is off the charts as well. He had the highest Max Vert Reach ever for a PG and showed great speed and agility at the combine. His highlight reels show some amazing dunks and acrobatic finishes as well.
That's just what he was blessed with, but basketball wise, he has some serious game as well. He has a great first step and almost gets to the rim at will against college competition. Of course, once you get in the paint you have to finish and he does, with explosiveness. He has a developing shot and showed strides of great improvement in certain games (Vs. UNC). In the combine many scouts were impressed on how much smoother and fluid his shot looks, and he was draining them more than a lot of people as well. Iman also shows great court vision, especially in the open floor which is were he shines. Lastly, he is almost a guarantee to be an elite defender. He can easily guard 1-3 and play them effectively and shows quick hands to steal the ball and passes. Also, with his size he will be an above average rebounder at the next level for sure.
He still needs to work on his PG skills and his shot, but he is showing a lot of improvement in both areas.

Last edited:

knicksin60

Starter
Iman Shumpert is considered the Frederic Weiss of the 2011 NBA Draft, according to many Knick fans, while Chris Singleton is projected to be the next Kevin Durant.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
I really hope we develop this guy and not just trade him for some1 like Nash who would only be here for a year or 2, while Shumpert comes back to torch the team that drafted him.

Someone else already stated this but the combination of him and TD23 would be scary coming off the bench defensively.

If he is truly hungry to stay in this league and get better he has the potential to be an All-Star in the future.

I really hope we develop this guy and not just trade him for some1 like Nash who would only be here for a year or 2, while Shumpert comes back to torch the team that drafted him.

Someone else already stated this but the combination of him and TD23 would be scary coming off the bench defensively.

If he is truly hungry to stay in this league and get better he has the potential to be an All-Star in the future.

well that was why i wanted to highlight the guy, I mean literally he is the most athletic combo guard to ever come into the league.

and thats a literal statement, not opinion, he can jump out of the gym, run as fast as any one on the floor, and those tools are the things that make superstars in the NBA. Walsh knew what he was doing, just like Riley knew what he was doing when he drafted wade who had a more stellar college career, but came from an unknown team.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i agree im excited about this dude, i feel he's gonna be a really solid player year1 then he's gonna improve as the years go by as he could reach stardom in this league he has all the tools necessary with the most important one--drive/hard work. cant wait to watch em play, everything about his game speaks classic NYK basketball.

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
and thats a literal statement, not opinion, he can jump out of the gym, run as fast as any one on the floor, and those tools are the things that make superstars in the NBA. Walsh knew what he was doing, just like Riley knew what he was doing when he drafted wade who had a more stellar college career, but came from an unknown team.

You mean the unknown team that made the Final Four that year. Also known as Marquette.

Wargames

Starter
If Iman does become the Steal of the Draft the Knicks may finally get some respect from the media for drafting players. I know the Knicks have had a few bust in the last decade but compared to other organizations come on. The knicks are one of the better drafting teams.

I mean the Knicks drafted in the last decade.

Landry Fields 39th
Toney Douglas 29th
Trevor Ariza 44th
David Lee 30th
Wilson Chandler 23rd

add in

Gallo at 6th
Channing Frye 8th

thats 7 solid players since 2000 the majority of which have come late in the 1st round. I mean you can argue quite successfully that the Knicks don't get fair value for trades but they do have good scouts. Thats one of the reasons around draft time whenever the Knicks like a pick other smaller teams usually decide that they need to use their resources to key in on those choices. Golden state is the most obvious culprit. You could argue even though they needed a SF they were willing to take another SG and draft a second round Center based on rumors that the knicks wanted them. Also lets be honest if the rumor had came out earlier that the Knicks wanted Iman on top of his Combine numbers he wouldn't have been their at 17. The suns would have taken him in the lottery at 13 at the very least.

Paul1355

All Star

scary defensively but it could be retarded offensively

KingCharles34

All Star
If Iman does become the Steal of the Draft the Knicks may finally get some respect from the media for drafting players. I know the Knicks have had a few bust in the last decade but compared to other organizations come on. The knicks are one of the better drafting teams.

I mean the Knicks drafted in the last decade.

Landry Fields 39th
Toney Douglas 29th
Trevor Ariza 44th
David Lee 30th
Wilson Chandler 23rd

add in

Gallo at 6th
Channing Frye 8th

thats 7 solid players
since 2000 the majority of which have come late in the 1st round. I mean you can argue quite successfully that the Knicks don't get fair value for trades but they do have good scouts. Thats one of the reasons around draft time whenever the Knicks like a pick other smaller teams usually decide that they need to use their resources to key in on those choices. Golden state is the most obvious culprit. You could argue even though they needed a SF they were willing to take another SG and draft a second round Center based on rumors that the knicks wanted them. Also lets be honest if the rumor had came out earlier that the Knicks wanted Iman on top of his Combine numbers he wouldn't have been their at 17. The suns would have taken him in the lottery at 13 at the very least.

smiley-hmm.gif

Wargames

Starter

Hey I didn't say all seven were great or even better than average. And yeah if you look at where he was picked it will give you a sour feeling but players get picked in the top ten every year who wont be in the league 4 years later. So I stand by my statement of 7 solid players. I base that statement on the fact that all seven are still productive players on their teams who get regular minutes. Channing Frye gets playing time on the Suns.

Anyhow the main part of what I was saying is the Knicks have found been successful finding some gems before outside of the lottery. If anything the Knicks record on drafting become worse when they are in the lottery save for Gallo. Right now they are potentially sitting on 2 centers and 1 large combo guard. If just 1 out of those three turn into a solid player the Knicks will be more than good.

... this x1000

:peace::peace:

yeah so I never said

that Shumpert was Dwayne Wade or that Georgia tech was Marquette

my point was

Marquette isnt UNC, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Ohio St or Uconn

Georgia Tech and Marquette are both mid level school, that have great runs every now and again, I was comparing the physicality

hence why i said

looks almost identical to Dwayne wade from another a similar type of school as goergia tech, who no one was really talking about in terms of being at the level of his counter parts

melo/lebron etc.

Wade didnt storm into his rookie season, he was actually mediocre averaging around 14 ppg, because he couldnt shoot, and used his athleticism to survive his rookie season, something that I could see shumpert doing, then Wade took those physical gifts and turned himself into an all pro on the NBA level.

the point was this guy has alllll of the physical tools to be a force, thats why I compared him to Wade

Stop hating for the sake of hating people, and understand the points I was trying to make.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks organization drafting Iman Shumpert with
the 17th pick was PLAYED for a fool by Donnie Walsh
and Mike Dantoni.....

If the Knicks were under a decent NBA headcoach, I dont see where
rookie Shumpert would get any playingtime next season (garbage time).
Having TD and Fields coming off the bench with Walker as the (SG)
starter playing the first 5 minutes of the game before being substituted
by TD or Fields depending on the Knicks oponents offense.

The Knicks only had one problem in their guard rotation last season,
and that was playing Raymond Felton more than 28 minutes per game.
It should not have been a shock of suprise to any Bobcats-fans or
Knicks-fans on draft night when Denver traded a young Felton for
an older Andre Miller.

The Knicks biggest weakness lastseason were Amare's refusal to play
at the PF position, and Mike Dantoni cluelessness in his 6 year career
as a NBA headcoach on how to coach Amare's talent at the PF position.
The reason why Dantoni wanted a walking FA Jefferies signed in the
midseason to put at the PF position between C-Amare & SF-Carmelo....
Billups had to look at this move as crazy-coaching when the Knicks roster
had strong-fowards Shelton and Turiaf with no-ledgit center on the roster.

u would think Mike Dantoni's strong move to sign Jefferies for the remainder of the season, wouldve been the Knicks BIGGEST-supporter of the Knicks drafting the hardest working "REBOUNDER" in the history of the NCAA "Kenneth Faried" with the 17th pick.

All of the Knicks losses lastseason (in 86 games) were do to Knicks oponents
scoring inside the paint at will throughout all 4 quarters.....the Knicks had no
inside defender to challenge oponents from scoring inside the paint.
Notes:
Amare did not rotate on defense around the paint like u see KG/ Duncan/
or Gasol do to stop inside-scoring or 2nd chance shots.
Melo did not switch or defend any bigman in the paint on the defensive-end
of the court like u would see Odom/ Artest/ Marion/ R.Jefferson/ Pierce/
Durant/ or Lebron does to box out of the paint.
:thumbsup: :gony: :thumbsup:

Ewing33Swisher

Benchwarmer
he's a sg/pg hybrid right? what are his skills in terms of running the point?(can't be much worse than Douglas) good ballhandler? passer? maybe he'll learn from billups, but if he can get to the rim, dish it out, and play some D maybe he'll get some minutes

Toons

is the Bo$$
yeah so I never said

that Shumpert was Dwayne Wade or that Georgia tech was Marquette

my point was

Marquette isnt UNC, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Ohio St or Uconn

Georgia Tech and Marquette are both mid level school, that have great runs every now and again, I was comparing the physicality

hence why i said

looks almost identical to Dwayne wade from another a similar type of school as goergia tech, who no one was really talking about in terms of being at the level of his counter parts

melo/lebron etc.

Wade didnt storm into his rookie season, he was actually mediocre averaging around 14 ppg, because he couldnt shoot, and used his athleticism to survive his rookie season, something that I could see shumpert doing, then Wade took those physical gifts and turned himself into an all pro on the NBA level.

the point was this guy has alllll of the physical tools to be a force, thats why I compared him to Wade

Stop hating for the sake of hating people, and understand the points I was trying to make.

before dwade, most ppl never even heard about Marquette.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
The Knicks organization drafting Iman Shumpert with
the 17th pick was PLAYED for a fool by Donnie Walsh
and Mike Dantoni.....

If the Knicks were under a decent NBA headcoach, I dont see where
rookie Shumpert would get any playingtime next season (garbage time).
Having TD and Fields coming off the bench with Walker as the (SG)
starter playing the first 5 minutes of the game before being substituted
by TD or Fields depending on the Knicks oponents offense.

The Knicks only had one problem in their guard rotation last season,
and that was playing Raymond Felton more than 28 minutes per game.
It should not have been a shock of suprise to any Bobcats-fans or
Knicks-fans on draft night when Denver traded a young Felton for
an older Andre Miller.

The Knicks biggest weakness lastseason were Amare's refusal to play
at the PF position, and Mike Dantoni cluelessness in his 6 year career
as a NBA headcoach on how to coach Amare's talent at the PF position.
The reason why Dantoni wanted a walking FA Jefferies signed in the
midseason to put at the PF position between C-Amare & SF-Carmelo....
Billups had to look at this move as crazy-coaching when the Knicks roster
had strong-fowards Shelton and Turiaf with no-ledgit center on the roster.

u would think Mike Dantoni's strong move to sign Jefferies for the remainder of the season, wouldve been the Knicks BIGGEST-supporter of the Knicks drafting the hardest working "REBOUNDER" in the history of the NCAA "Kenneth Faried" with the 17th pick.

All of the Knicks losses lastseason (in 86 games) were do to Knicks oponents
scoring inside the paint at will throughout all 4 quarters.....the Knicks had no
inside defender to challenge oponents from scoring inside the paint.
Notes:
Amare did not rotate on defense around the paint like u see KG/ Duncan/
or Gasol do to stop inside-scoring or 2nd chance shots.
Melo did not switch or defend any bigman in the paint on the defensive-end
of the court like u would see Odom/ Artest/ Marion/ R.Jefferson/ Pierce/
Durant/ or Lebron does to box out of the paint.
:thumbsup: :gony: :thumbsup:

uWqM3.gif