Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Official Iman Shumpert (steal of the draft ) thread

  1. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,301
    Rep Power
    20

    Thumbs up

    The Knicks organization drafting Iman Shumpert with
    the 17th pick was PLAYED for a fool by Donnie Walsh
    and Mike Dantoni.....

    If the Knicks were under a decent NBA headcoach, I dont see where
    rookie Shumpert would get any playingtime next season (garbage time).
    Having TD and Fields coming off the bench with Walker as the (SG)
    starter playing the first 5 minutes of the game before being substituted
    by TD or Fields depending on the Knicks oponents offense.

    The Knicks only had one problem in their guard rotation last season,
    and that was playing Raymond Felton more than 28 minutes per game.
    It should not have been a shock of suprise to any Bobcats-fans or
    Knicks-fans on draft night when Denver traded a young Felton for
    an older Andre Miller.

    The Knicks biggest weakness lastseason were Amare's refusal to play
    at the PF position, and Mike Dantoni cluelessness in his 6 year career
    as a NBA headcoach on how to coach Amare's talent at the PF position.
    The reason why Dantoni wanted a walking FA Jefferies signed in the
    midseason to put at the PF position between C-Amare & SF-Carmelo....
    Billups had to look at this move as crazy-coaching when the Knicks roster
    had strong-fowards Shelton and Turiaf with no-ledgit center on the roster.

    u would think Mike Dantoni's strong move to sign Jefferies for the remainder of the season, wouldve been the Knicks BIGGEST-supporter of the Knicks drafting the hardest working "REBOUNDER" in the history of the NCAA "Kenneth Faried" with the 17th pick.

    All of the Knicks losses lastseason (in 86 games) were do to Knicks oponents
    scoring inside the paint at will throughout all 4 quarters.....the Knicks had no
    inside defender to challenge oponents from scoring inside the paint.
    Notes:
    Amare did not rotate on defense around the paint like u see KG/ Duncan/
    or Gasol do to stop inside-scoring or 2nd chance shots.
    Melo did not switch or defend any bigman in the paint on the defensive-end
    of the court like u would see Odom/ Artest/ Marion/ R.Jefferson/ Pierce/
    Durant/ or Lebron does to box out of the paint.

  2. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    he's a sg/pg hybrid right? what are his skills in terms of running the point?(can't be much worse than Douglas) good ballhandler? passer? maybe he'll learn from billups, but if he can get to the rim, dish it out, and play some D maybe he'll get some minutes

  3. #18
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    yeah so I never said

    that Shumpert was Dwayne Wade or that Georgia tech was Marquette

    my point was

    Marquette isnt UNC, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Ohio St or Uconn


    Georgia Tech and Marquette are both mid level school, that have great runs every now and again, I was comparing the physicality

    hence why i said

    looks almost identical to Dwayne wade from another a similar type of school as goergia tech, who no one was really talking about in terms of being at the level of his counter parts

    melo/lebron etc.

    Wade didnt storm into his rookie season, he was actually mediocre averaging around 14 ppg, because he couldnt shoot, and used his athleticism to survive his rookie season, something that I could see shumpert doing, then Wade took those physical gifts and turned himself into an all pro on the NBA level.


    the point was this guy has alllll of the physical tools to be a force, thats why I compared him to Wade

    Stop hating for the sake of hating people, and understand the points I was trying to make.
    before dwade, most ppl never even heard about Marquette.

  4. #19
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    The Knicks organization drafting Iman Shumpert with
    the 17th pick was PLAYED for a fool by Donnie Walsh
    and Mike Dantoni.....

    If the Knicks were under a decent NBA headcoach, I dont see where
    rookie Shumpert would get any playingtime next season (garbage time).
    Having TD and Fields coming off the bench with Walker as the (SG)
    starter playing the first 5 minutes of the game before being substituted
    by TD or Fields depending on the Knicks oponents offense.

    The Knicks only had one problem in their guard rotation last season,
    and that was playing Raymond Felton more than 28 minutes per game.
    It should not have been a shock of suprise to any Bobcats-fans or
    Knicks-fans on draft night when Denver traded a young Felton for
    an older Andre Miller.

    The Knicks biggest weakness lastseason were Amare's refusal to play
    at the PF position, and Mike Dantoni cluelessness in his 6 year career
    as a NBA headcoach on how to coach Amare's talent at the PF position.
    The reason why Dantoni wanted a walking FA Jefferies signed in the
    midseason to put at the PF position between C-Amare & SF-Carmelo....
    Billups had to look at this move as crazy-coaching when the Knicks roster
    had strong-fowards Shelton and Turiaf with no-ledgit center on the roster.

    u would think Mike Dantoni's strong move to sign Jefferies for the remainder of the season, wouldve been the Knicks BIGGEST-supporter of the Knicks drafting the hardest working "REBOUNDER" in the history of the NCAA "Kenneth Faried" with the 17th pick.

    All of the Knicks losses lastseason (in 86 games) were do to Knicks oponents
    scoring inside the paint at will throughout all 4 quarters.....the Knicks had no
    inside defender to challenge oponents from scoring inside the paint.
    Notes:
    Amare did not rotate on defense around the paint like u see KG/ Duncan/
    or Gasol do to stop inside-scoring or 2nd chance shots.
    Melo did not switch or defend any bigman in the paint on the defensive-end
    of the court like u would see Odom/ Artest/ Marion/ R.Jefferson/ Pierce/
    Durant/ or Lebron does to box out of the paint.


  5. #20
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    This.. made me lol. Ty. It's been a long day.

  6. #21
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman

    The Knicks' biggest weakness last season was Amar'e's refusal to play
    at the PF position.
    What?

    u would think Mike Dantoni's strong move to sign Jefferies for the remainder of the season, wouldve been the Knicks BIGGEST-supporter of the Knicks drafting the hardest working "REBOUNDER" in the history of the NCAA "Kenneth Faried" with the 17th pick.
    What does this translate to in English?

  7. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    183
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    i don't know if he would be the steal of the draft, but i think he will be a solid player.

  8. #23
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    This.. made me lol. Ty. It's been a long day.
    Haha. My pleasure!

  9. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    looks almost identical to Dwayne wade from another a similar type of school as goergia tech, who no one was really talking about in terms of being at the level of his counter parts
    Except Wade was much much better than him in college on offense.

    So no he is not close to "identical" to Wade.

    Wade didnt storm into his rookie season, he was actually mediocre averaging around 14 ppg, because he couldnt shoot, and used his athleticism to survive his rookie season, something that I could see shumpert doing, then Wade took those physical gifts and turned himself into an all pro on the NBA level.
    Because averaging 14 PPG is average for a rookie? What? He actually averaged 16 PPG on 46% shooting, which is pretty damn good for a rookie and a higher percent than Iman shot IN COLLEGE. Also are you forgetting that Wade was much much better than Iman coming out of college? Why are you even comparing the two, it's just unfair to Iman and you're putting ridiculous expectations on him.

    the point was this guy has alllll of the physical tools to be a force, thats why I compared him to Wade
    There have been so many guys who have "all the physical tools to be a force". That is good to have, but comparing Shumpert to Wade is a terrible comparison. Why not compare him to guys who actually had comparable stats to him in college? Or other "athletic guys with physical tools" who aren't named Dwyane Wade? You're just setting yourself up for disappointment comparing the 17th pick in a weak draft to a top 5 pick in one of the best drafts of all time.

  10. #25
    Veteran DontForgetDerekHarper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by NYKnicks11
    Except Wade was much much better than him in college on offense.

    So no he is not close to "identical" to Wade.



    Because averaging 14 PPG is average for a rookie? What? He actually averaged 16 PPG on 46% shooting, which is pretty damn good for a rookie and a higher percent than Iman shot IN COLLEGE. Also are you forgetting that Wade was much much better than Iman coming out of college? Why are you even comparing the two, it's just unfair to Iman and you're putting ridiculous expectations on him.



    There have been so many guys who have "all the physical tools to be a force". That is good to have, but comparing Shumpert to Wade is a terrible comparison. Why not compare him to guys who actually had comparable stats to him in college? Or other "athletic guys with physical tools" who aren't named Dwyane Wade? You're just setting yourself up for disappointment comparing the 17th pick in a weak draft to a top 5 pick in one of the best drafts of all time.

    I am comparing him to Dwade because of the physicality

    once again I am not saying he will be dwayne wade

    what I am saying is he has all of the physical gifts if not more, than what wade had, with similar build, height, vertical, wing span, and defensive quickness

    Why must every one pick apart things in such a deep rooted argumentative stance, and read the EXACT WORDS THAT I AM SAYING


    HE LOOOOOKS IDENTICAL TO WADe

    looks if you cast a shadow of the both of them against a wall, they would stand almost identical in physical features.

    so my point was, some one as athletically gifted as a dwyane wade, the fact that our 17th pick is identical in athleticism, probably the most overal athletic player in the draft, to compliment what we alread have

    could be the steal of the draft

    I sware people love to just hear them selves type, when they argue againsts some of the points on this forum.

    I never said he was an IDENTICAL PLAYER

    I said he LOOKS IDENTICAL


    readdddddd people

    thank you

  11. #26
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I can definitely see the comparison to Wade. I've tried to refrain from making it so far myself because Wade's such a great player, but come on, anyone can see there's some obvious similarities: about the same size and athleticism, similar plus defensive ability coming out of college, and similar low outside shooting percentages from deep.

    Look, he's not Wade yet, maybe never will be. And that's fine. I'll take a poor man's Wade if that's what we eventually see. No real shame in that..But there are some similarities and I think that's all DFDH was trying to say. I actually agree with him. Regarding outside shooting for both ---> remember Wade wasn't some great outside shooter at Marquette -- in his two years in college he shot 34.6% in year 1 from 3 (18-52) and 31.8% in year 2 (14-44). And he's been an even worse 3-pt shooter in the pros (only 29.2% career in 8 seasons). Yet he still made it big..Thing is I think Shumpert will develop into a better deep shooter over time, better than Wade. His shooting form and mechanics look very good to me..And he made great strides at the FT line while at G-Tech, shooting almost 81% last year on 175 attempts..That tells me the touch on the ball is there to become at least a halfway decent jumpshooter (I'd be shocked if in 10 years from now, Shumpert's shooting less than 30% from 3 for his career)..Whether or not the rest of his game evolves like Wade's did, who knows...We'll all have our fingers crossed that it does. Tell ya what, the ability's definitely there. Certain things need to break right for him now..Let's hope this coach gives him all the leeway and latitude right out of the gate to get comfortable. That's the all-important step 1..The rest will be up to Shumpert. Hopefully he's not one of these guys that's content with becoming nothing more than a 2nd rate player even though he has the ability to be much more than that..Let's hope he takes the baton and runs wild with it. Everything I've read, heard and seen point to a good, solid work ethic for the young man. No doubt that's how the Knicks felt about him when they did their homework on him..There's no doubt Shumpert could become a very special 2-way player in the NBA with hard work. A lot of positives are already in place..
    Last edited by finestrg; Jul 15, 2011 at 22:54.

  12. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,795
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Good analysis.

    Seriously, it's not like we drafted him looking for the next Wade, or anything like that. More than not we were looking for the next Tony Allen, and if he can turn out to do THAT, we'll be JUST fine.

  13. #28
    Veteran jpz17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    The Knicks organization drafting Iman Shumpert with
    the 17th pick was PLAYED for a fool by Donnie Walsh
    and Mike Dantoni.....

    If the Knicks were under a decent NBA headcoach, I dont see where
    rookie Shumpert would get any playingtime next season (garbage time).
    Having TD and Fields coming off the bench with Walker as the (SG)
    starter playing the first 5 minutes of the game before being substituted
    by TD or Fields depending on the Knicks oponents offense.

    The Knicks only had one problem in their guard rotation last season,
    and that was playing Raymond Felton more than 28 minutes per game.
    It should not have been a shock of suprise to any Bobcats-fans or
    Knicks-fans on draft night when Denver traded a young Felton for
    an older Andre Miller.

    The Knicks biggest weakness lastseason were Amare's refusal to play
    at the PF position, and Mike Dantoni cluelessness in his 6 year career
    as a NBA headcoach on how to coach Amare's talent at the PF position.
    The reason why Dantoni wanted a walking FA Jefferies signed in the
    midseason to put at the PF position between C-Amare & SF-Carmelo....
    Billups had to look at this move as crazy-coaching when the Knicks roster
    had strong-fowards Shelton and Turiaf with no-ledgit center on the roster.

    u would think Mike Dantoni's strong move to sign Jefferies for the remainder of the season, wouldve been the Knicks BIGGEST-supporter of the Knicks drafting the hardest working "REBOUNDER" in the history of the NCAA "Kenneth Faried" with the 17th pick.

    All of the Knicks losses lastseason (in 86 games) were do to Knicks oponents
    scoring inside the paint at will throughout all 4 quarters.....the Knicks had no
    inside defender to challenge oponents from scoring inside the paint.
    Notes:
    Amare did not rotate on defense around the paint like u see KG/ Duncan/
    or Gasol do to stop inside-scoring or 2nd chance shots.
    Melo did not switch or defend any bigman in the paint on the defensive-end
    of the court like u would see Odom/ Artest/ Marion/ R.Jefferson/ Pierce/
    Durant/ or Lebron does to box out of the paint.
    The only real response I have to that is, no.

  14. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,795
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Here's one thing - what player really and truly bent the Knicks over last year the most?

    Answer: RONDO. I am ****ing tired of Rondo averaging 10+ assists against us. I'm tired of Louis Williams dropping 19 points on us, and I'm sick of our crappy backcourt defense allowing people to essentially drive to the basket AT WILL. Rondo made us into his BITCH in the playoffs shooting 13-23 and getting 20 assists because we gave him good looks, clean paths to the basket, and easy looks at Ray Allen and Paul Pierce.

    Under NO circumstances should a PG who is one-dimensional at scoring (i.e. his shot is AWFUL) be able to score 30 points on us if we're truly a championship-bound team.

    I know we still need rebounding but at least this Shumpert pick signifies that whoever is running stuff over at MSG realizes that defense IS IMPORTANT. I am SICK of D-Wade owning us, I am sick of Kobe dropping deuces on us, and I'm sick of that faggot Rondo. Please, dear Lord, let Iman Shumpert be the answer to that!

  15. #30
    Member NYallDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    201
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    amen!

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Here's one thing - what player really and truly bent the Knicks over last year the most?

    Answer: RONDO. I am ****ing tired of Rondo averaging 10+ assists against us. I'm tired of Louis Williams dropping 19 points on us, and I'm sick of our crappy backcourt defense allowing people to essentially drive to the basket AT WILL. Rondo made us into his BITCH in the playoffs shooting 13-23 and getting 20 assists because we gave him good looks, clean paths to the basket, and easy looks at Ray Allen and Paul Pierce.

    Under NO circumstances should a PG who is one-dimensional at scoring (i.e. his shot is AWFUL) be able to score 30 points on us if we're truly a championship-bound team.

    I know we still need rebounding but at least this Shumpert pick signifies that whoever is running stuff over at MSG realizes that defense IS IMPORTANT. I am SICK of D-Wade owning us, I am sick of Kobe dropping deuces on us, and I'm sick of that faggot Rondo. Please, dear Lord, let Iman Shumpert be the answer to that!

Similar Threads

  1. The Official...Official Thread
    By TR1LL10N in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 18, 2010, 13:51
  2. The Official EURO 2008 thread
    By rady in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: Jul 14, 2008, 23:08
  3. Official Draft Thread
    By Knicker Bocker in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 255
    Last Post: Jan 08, 2008, 17:08
  4. Official Draft Thread
    By NYKnicks15 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: Jun 30, 2006, 01:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •